PDA

View Full Version : Life Springfield...remember Hydra Slide?

DMAC
01-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Spent numerous hours breaking bones here. Damn pussification of America brought on the bulldozers.

Nice bit of nostalgia though...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kFYY16iPkOA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kFYY16iPkOA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

luv
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Oh, man. Yeah. I remember jumping lanes like that...lol. I used to always lose that thing you slid down on, too. And I would sometimes get a piece of the lane stuck under my nails from trying to hold on.

Stinger
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Yep.... Always had blast. Grabbing a couple of small round disks and timing it right to switch lanes so you could clobber your friend (or bump into that girl in the special bikini).... Ah yes.... good times ....good times.

ChiefsOne
01-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Yes, not even too long ago I used to take the kids.

talastan
01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Good times...good times. I remember lots of times spent there. That and at Skate Corral. I'm a lifelong Northsider.

MOhillbilly
01-12-2011, 09:52 AM
northsiders road our bikes to the creek/river. Northside sewage treatment FTW!

Hydrae
01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I just want to point out that I had nothing to do with it and they are missing an "e" at then of their name. :)

BigRedChief
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Good times...good times. I remember lots of times spent there. That and at Skate Corral. I'm a lifelong Northsider.Was a northsider till 16, then moved to the southside.

Spent a lot of time out at Hydraslide. Jumping lanes to kick your buddy off his ride was really cool. No way they let that slide these days.

MOhillbilly
01-12-2011, 10:28 AM
ever been to ritter springs? Kids used to jump from the old swingin bridge into the waterfall area.

talastan
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM
northsiders road our bikes to the creek/river. Northside sewage treatment FTW!

Or the Doling Park Swimming pool.

BigRedChief
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Or the Doling Park Swimming pool.man, I spent a lot of time there. I could ride my bike over there. Every once in a while get some money and play the carnival games there.

WV
01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
That looks sweet!

luv
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
That looks sweet!

It used to be. With enough snow, it's a good sledding hill. I think the remains will pretty much finish disappearing after the widen the street in front of it to six lanes.

DMAC
01-12-2011, 11:02 AM
That looks sweet!

I dont remember when it shut down officially, but over the years before it was bulldozed, it became the target of many graffitiers.

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/files/img_3794.jpg

edit: haha nice bush.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Holy cow....can you imagine anything like this being built today? Lawsuit city!

MOhillbilly
01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Or the Doling Park Swimming pool.

to far south & not enough dioxin.

Stinger
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
I dont remember when it shut down officially, but over the years before it was bulldozed, it became the target of many graffitiers.

Not to mention a lot of skate boarders as well.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQOf16r07yA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQOf16r07yA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edit: It says Wet Willy's on the video .... I forgot about that place. It was right next door to Hydra slide.

BigRedChief
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Holy cow....can you imagine anything like this being built today? Lawsuit city!yeah we would go out of our lanes and knock each other off our slides. as long as your were buddies and not doing that to some stranger, they let it go.

Ralphy Boy
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Edit: It says Wet Willy's on the video .... I forgot about that place. It was right next door to Hydra slide.

Yeah I never made it to Hydra Slyde, but Wet Willy's was a fairly regular thing.

Looking at it from a business perspective; With the price of real estate, cost to build and insure, it would be really hard to have a venture like that make money here today. There are only about 15 or 16 weeks to make hay and the population here isn't enough to justify it. You can see pretty easily why places like it have closed up.

Zeke
01-12-2011, 03:12 PM
What ever happened to the slides at lake jacomo?

LiveSteam
01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
That is AWESOME
I bet every bone known to man was broken at one time or another on that water slide

VAChief
01-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes, I remember the place and Wet Willies which went under way before Hydra Slide did. Wet Willies came out first, we would get our group together and they would actually let you all go at one time. We would get behind the girls and launch them up in the air over the corners. It's a miracle no one was seriously injured. Extra bonus if you got their top or bottoms to come off.

luv
01-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes, I remember the place and Wet Willies which went under way before Hydra Slide did. Wet Willies came out first, we would get our group together and they would actually let you all go at one time. We would get behind the girls and launch them up in the air over the corners. It's a miracle no one was seriously injured. Extra bonus if you got their top or bottoms to come off.

I always liked Hydra Slide better, for some reason.

And, yeah, you had to make sure you still had your suit on before getting out of the pool at the bottom...lol.

philfree
01-12-2011, 03:44 PM
The Hi Ho Slide at the corner of Sunshine and Glenstone. No water just a burlap sack.

I'm not sure water had been invented yet though.

PhilFree:arrow:

Deberg_1990
01-12-2011, 03:45 PM
What ever happened to the slides at lake jacomo?

heh? no idea? Used to love them as a kid. Probably got old and dangerous?

How about the water slides at Wild Woodys neat I70 and Noland? Anyone remember those?

penguinz
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
What ever happened to the slides at lake jacomo?They took them out a very long time ago.

DMAC
01-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Top comes off...plus you get them on the grass...and they stood up unknowingly while the slide line desperately tries to slow down to gawk...BAM...WIN.

BigRedChief
01-12-2011, 07:47 PM
The Hi Ho Slide at the corner of Sunshine and Glenstone. No water just a burlap sack.

I'm not sure water had been invented yet though.

PhilFree:arrow:yeah they were like potato sacks you sat on and went down the ride.

Stinger
01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
yeah they were like potato sacks you sat on and went down the ride.

Get the right sack and right lane and you could fly off the last bump ......

Predarat
01-13-2011, 07:58 PM
That looks so damn fun, it looks much faster then a normal waterslide. They need to stop the pussification and bring this back!

DMAC
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I just showed my 4 year old son the video. He said, "they all broke their butts!".

Heh

Pushead2
01-14-2011, 03:58 AM
we don't have that in NYC :(

Otter
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I now have the "electric slide" stuck in my head and curse you for it.

You can't see it
It's electric!
You gotta feel it
It's electric!
Ooh, it's shakin'
It's electric!