PDA

View Full Version : Football Raiders are screwed...

soopamanluva
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Sorry if repost

Nnamdi Asomugha wasn’t the only Raider to have his contract*voided

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 12, 2011, 9:35 AM EST

Former Raiders coach Tom Cable helped turn Robert Gallery’s career around when he moved him from tackle to guard.* It sounds like Gallery will be free to follow Cable to his next job should he choose.

Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune lists Gallery as one of the 25 potential Raiders free agents this offseason, depending on free agency rules in the next collective bargaining agreement.** The NFLPA’s website has Gallery under contract until 2014, but the deal has apparently voided.

Other notable Raiders names that could be free to leave include tight end Zach Miller, safety Michael Huff, and running back Michael Bush.* Defensive end Richard Seymour could go if he doesn’t get the franchise tag.* (If there is a franchise tag.)

We have no clue when free agency will actually start up again, but it’s going to be fascinating when it does.* With more players available than ever, the best pro personnel departments will have a bigger advantage on their competitors than usual.

Pestilence
01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Is there any truth to Asomoah being able to work at center? If that's true....I'd take Gallery as a replacement for Waters. Shit....I'd also take Michael Bush as a replacement for Thomas Jones.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Michael Bush would fit well. OTOH, I wouldn't want to get into a bidding war for him.

talastan
01-12-2011, 10:25 AM
How hilarious would it be if Seymour walked after the Faid give up their first round pick for him this year? Seriously though I wonder how many situations across the NFL are going to happen like this? Without any defintes on the new CBA it is going to be a very interesting offseason for Player Personnel depts.

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Gallery and Bush, Bring them in for a look?

sorry had to do it....

ChiefGator
01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Is there any truth to Asomoah being able to work at center? If that's true....I'd take Gallery as a replacement for Waters. Shit....I'd also take Michael Bush as a replacement for Thomas Jones.

Michael Bush ... definitely.

How's Miller's run blocking?

HotRoute
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
How funny , al Davis gets things going in the right direction and then butchers it. Love it

bevischief
01-12-2011, 11:14 AM
http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2011/01/11/the-raiders-and-free-agency/

The Raiders and free agency

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011 at 9:10 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Was on a conference call Tuesday with two NFLPA executive council members, Dominique Foxworth and Scott Fujita, both of whom painted a bleak picture of reaching a collective bargaining agreement before the March 3 deadline.

Then spent different portions of the day in Twitter debates regarding my column on Nnamdi Asomugha, one of the most accomplished and professional of Raiders, and a player who in some quarters I apparently have grown to hate.

To review _ Asomugha is a fabulous cover cornerback, but his salary for 2011 ($16.8 million or the average of the top five quarterbacks in the NFL) is way out of line for someone who blankets receivers but whose obvious skills hasn’t done much to remedy the team’s defensive problems. He doesn’t create turnovers, the biggest single stat in NFL. Despite his presence, the Raiders still gave up 29 touchdown passes (only four teams gave up more) and 30-plus points six times.

I could go on, and already have, so never mind. If you think a cover corner should get a salary in the vicinity of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, so be it.

So let’s look at it another way. If you pay Asomugha that much money in a single season as a straight salary, it’s going to affect the rest of free agency. It will have a huge effect if the new CBA has a salary cap. Then there’s the matter of whether the Raiders have the kind of actual liquid money to compete with the more corporate of the NFL teams considering their attendance, total worth, etc.

We have no idea at this point how free agency will work out, especially in the event of a protracted lockout. If a lockout goes on too long, there could be a reduced free agency this year, or in an extreme case, according to CNN-SI’s Peter King, no free agency at all until 2012. (He wrote that most people don’t expect that to happen, but if games are lost and teams must be thrown together, it’s a consideration).

In any event, here’s a list of Raiders who have played four, five or six years for when the CBA is complete and terms are reached. There are others whose contracts expire, but the Raiders will probably be able to have a right of first refusal. Until the uncapped year last year, having four years meant unrestricted free agency. That increased in 2010 year to six years.

Whether there are franchise or transition tags (and how many) will depend on the CBA. They’ll basically be making up new rules.

6-PLUS YEARS

Richard Seymour: If rules are similar, stands to get a 20 percent bump from nearly $13 million if there’s a franchise tag and he’s tagged again.

Nnamdi Asomugha: The ball’s in his court. Chances are Raiders weren’t going to pay $16.8 or more anyway. How much will they pay?

Robert Gallery: Was extremely loyal to Tom Cable, who helped turn his career around by moving him from left tackle to left guard.

Stanford Routt: If Asomugha were to go elsewhere, Davis could ante up big bucks for Routt after giving him a first- and third-round tender last year.

John Henderson: Missed seven games with a stress fracture but still showed he’s got something to offer as a run-stopper at defensive tackle.

Langston Walker: Much better as a starting right tackle in 2010 than he was in 2006, but will Raiders look for new blood?

Rock Cartwright: Every team needs a guy like this, and he won’t break the bank.

Khalif Barnes: Seemed to relish the team role and playing as backup tackle and power tight end.

Sam Williams: He’ll sign for the minimum and be happy about it.

Michael Bennett: Was strictly McFadden-Bush insurance and policy was never needed.

Kyle Boller: Has a chance at reserve role depending on how quarterback situation sorts out.

Charlie Frye: Went to every practice and meeting while on injured reserve all year. Could be rewarded with No. 3 QB job.

Daniel Loper: Started at left guard when Gallery was hurt then watched for the rest of the year.

J.T. O’Sullivan: Signed once Bruce Gradkowski went out with a shoulder injury.

5 YEARS

Michael Huff: Has five years of service but contract void could make him unrestricted regardless of how CBA is set up.

Bruce Gradkowski: Couldn’t make it through either of the last two years healthy and Jason Campbell played well when he went on IR.

Thomas Howard: Pushed into the background as linebacking corps was swept out. Hard to believe he won’t be looking elsewhere.

Ricky Brown: Has value as a backup middle linebacker and special teams player.

Hiram Eugene: Solid special teams player but passed up by Stevie Brown as a single deep free safety.

Jarvis Moss: May have shown enough as a pass rusher in season finale to get another look at a reasonable price.

4 YEARS

Zach Miller: Only the Raiders most productive receiver over the past four years.

Michael Bush: Yes, he only played three years, but I’m told his PUP year rehabbing his ankle counts.

Samson Satele: I may be in the minority, but it seemed to me Satele played extremely well in the last four or five games of the season. Both on the interior and getting to second level.

Mario Henderson: There is sentiment within the building (including at the very top) that Henderson should have been moved to right tackle early after Jared Veldheer won the job on the left side and started over Walker.

Johnnie Lee Higgins: Seems to have regressed the last two years after a strong second season. If Jacoby Ford takes over punt returns, hard to imagine him being back.

FAX
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM

He can play center. I have high hopes for that guy, too. He has the potential to be very good ... if not great.

FAX

JD10367
01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
How hilarious would it be if Seymour walked after the Faid give up their first round pick for him this year to New England and New England wins the Super Bowl without Seymour and then Seymour re-signs with New England?

FYP LMAO

ForeverChiefs58
01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Shane Lechler lambastes Raiders for firing Tom Cable

Punter Shane Lechler has played for the Raiders since 2000. He has seen plenty of coaches come and go. And he disagrees with the decision to send current coach Tom Cable packing.

In an interview with CSN Bay Area, Lechler called the decision a “huge setback” for the team, and he said that free agents like offensive lineman Robert Gallery and running back Michael Bush won’t want to return.

“I can’t go through another head coach,” Lechler said. Since Lechler joined the Raiders, the team has had six head coaches: Jon Gruden, Bill Callahan, Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, and Cable.

Lechler said that Cable brought a “no-nonsense” approach, which Lechler regarded as “awesome” and “exactly what we need.”

As to Cable’s departure, Lechler said, “I’m not so sure this isn’t a terrible decision.”

Regarding the possibility that Hue Jackson will be the next head coach, Lechler provided a lukewarm assessment. “Yes, I do respect [Jackson]. . . . I totally agree and like the energy he brings to the offensive side of the ball,” Lechler said. “Whether he can call plays and pull off the whole head coaching deal and deal with Al Davis on the side, I don’t know. That’s a lot on somebody’s plate, so we’ll see.”

Lechler said he has tried to call Al Davis and other Raiders executives, but that he has had no luck getting through. “I just want to know what the hell’s going on,” Lechler said. “I just want to know . . . how do you justify firing somebody when you just went 6-0 in the division and 8-8 in the season after we put in so much as a group, as a unit, as a team with our leader being Tom Cable, how do you just go ahead and whack this guy with, I mean, no reason?”

Lechler, who is signed for two more years but now may be a free agent sooner than he expected, isn’t the only one who has that question.

On Tuesday, the Raiders opted not to pick up the option on coach Tom Cable’s contract. On Tuesday night, Lechler unloaded on the organization for dumping Cable.

On Wednesday, the Raiders signed punter Glenn Pakulak. The team announced the move on its website.

DJ's left nut
01-12-2011, 11:46 AM

On Tuesday, the Raiders opted not to pick up the option on coach Tom Cable’s contract. On Tuesday night, Lechler unloaded on the organization for dumping Cable.

On Wednesday, the Raiders signed punter Glenn Pakulak. The team announced the move on its website.

Only the Raiders...

Bane
01-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Too bad we couldn't have had Cable on the sidelines for the playoff game.He could have punched Weis in the jaw a few times.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Punter Shane Lechler has played for the Raiders since 2000. He has seen plenty of coaches come and go. And he disagrees with the decision to send current coach Tom Cable packing.

In an interview with CSN Bay Area, Lechler called the decision a “huge setback” for the team, and he said that free agents like offensive lineman Robert Gallery and running back Michael Bush won’t want to return.

“I can’t go through another head coach,” Lechler said. Since Lechler joined the Raiders, the team has had six head coaches: Jon Gruden, Bill Callahan, Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, and Cable.

Lechler said that Cable brought a “no-nonsense” approach, which Lechler regarded as “awesome” and “exactly what we need.”

As to Cable’s departure, Lechler said, “I’m not so sure this isn’t a terrible decision.”

Regarding the possibility that Hue Jackson will be the next head coach, Lechler provided a lukewarm assessment. “Yes, I do respect [Jackson]. . . . I totally agree and like the energy he brings to the offensive side of the ball,” Lechler said. “Whether he can call plays and pull off the whole head coaching deal and deal with Al Davis on the side, I don’t know. That’s a lot on somebody’s plate, so we’ll see.”

Lechler said he has tried to call Al Davis and other Raiders executives, but that he has had no luck getting through. “I just want to know what the hell’s going on,” Lechler said. “I just want to know . . . how do you justify firing somebody when you just went 6-0 in the division and 8-8 in the season after we put in so much as a group, as a unit, as a team with our leader being Tom Cable, how do you just go ahead and whack this guy with, I mean, no reason?”

Lechler, who is signed for two more years but now may be a free agent sooner than he expected, isn’t the only one who has that question.

Kick ball, get check, dummy.

Jethopper
01-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Art Shell is pissed.

HemiEd
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Whether the Raiders are actually screwed or not, we will see.

But I just love having this thread header up there to see. Bad things for the Raiders make for a good day. How about a sticky for this thread? :D

BossChief
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I would the whole thing

DaneMcCloud
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Is there any truth to Asomoah being able to work at center?

He started 37 straight games at Illinois at the right guard position. He may be "capable" of playing center (although some point to his lower body as not having enough strength), he only played guard during his four years in college.

ChiefGator
01-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I would the whole thing

Crap.. I just accidently my toenail while reading this

B_Ambuehl
01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
This football team could fill practically every hole on the roster just by raiding castoffs from the Chargers and the 'Fade, and do it pretty cheap too:

Gallery: You know who he is

Michael Bush: You know who he is

Brandon Siler: Has more TFL on the goal line and among the very best in the NFL in fewest missed tackles the last 2 years.

Antwan Barnes: One of the most productive edge rushers in the league on a per snap basis. He's not great as a full time starter but on passing downs is an absolute beast and would take a lot of pressure off Hali.

Scott Mruczkowski (C): Valuable backup behind Nick Hardwick. Started 10+ games in '09 and graded out one of the top 6 centers in the NFL according to profootball focus. HIs only problem is he's been stuck behind Hardwick, a probowl quality player.

Craig Davis (WR): This guy has Eddie Kennison written all over him, would come very cheap, and might be worth a look. Very talented 4th year WR that just never got much of a chance to play in SD due to injuries. When healthy he was a beast and his talent has never been in question. He's not a FA, but word out of SD is they plan to release him.

Brock
01-12-2011, 01:46 PM
This football team could fill practically every hole on the roster just by raiding castoffs from the Chargers and the 'Fade, and do it pretty cheap too:

Brandon Siler: Has more TFL on the goal line and among the very best in the NFL in fewest missed tackles the last 2 years.

Antwan Barnes: One of the most productive edge rushers in the league on a per snap basis. He's not great as a full time starter but on passing downs is an absolute beast and would take a lot of pressure off Hali.

Scott Mruczkowski (C): Valuable backup behind Nick Hardwick. Started 10+ games in '09 and graded out one of the top 6 centers in the NFL according to profootball focus. HIs only problem is he's been stuck behind Hardwick, a probowl quality player.

Craig Davis (WR): This guy has Eddie Kennison written all over him, would come very cheap, and might be worth a look. Very talented 4th year WR that just never got much of a chance to play in SD due to injuries. When healthy he was a beast and his talent has never been in question. He's not a FA, but word out of SD is they plan to release him.

Agree with all of this.

Frazod
01-12-2011, 02:02 PM
They'd really let Lechler go? His punting is probably responsible for half their wins.

mikey23545
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Maybe he actually wants to win, not just pick up a paycheck.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Maybe he actually wants to win, not just pick up a paycheck.

Who gives a fuck? He punts.

King_Chief_Fan
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM

git er done Carl........I mean Pioli!

bevischief
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM

To the ship.

JTagg7754
01-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Who gives a fuck? He punts.

Yeah, who gives a shit about field position. Pshhhh overrated.

JTagg7754
01-12-2011, 02:50 PM
But yes, the Raiders are screwed and I'll be the first to say it. Letting Cable go pissed off a lot of already skeptical people. Nnamdi going loses leadership and may lead to others wanting to do the same.

Ultimately we'll have to wait and see but I'm guessing, early I know, that we're a 4 win team next season (if we even have football).

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah, who gives a shit about field position. Pshhhh overrated.

So he figures that another coach might tell him to punt in the wrong direction? Try the other foot? What?

JTagg7754
01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
So he figures that another coach might tell him to punt in the wrong direction? Try the other foot? What?

No he might want to go to another team that will actually win and has a stable organization.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
No he might want to go to another team that will actually win and has a stable organization.

Then shut the fuck up, change teams, kick ball, get check.

ChiefGator
01-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Then shut the **** up, change teams, kick ball, get check.

Not a big lover of the punters, eh?

Pestilence
01-12-2011, 03:03 PM

I have a feeling that Michael Bush isn't going to come cheap. He's going to want to sign with a team where he's starting.

Craig Davis would be interesting....considering that he played alongside Bowe at LSU.

OnTheWarpath58
01-12-2011, 03:10 PM

http://i51.tinypic.com/24epe1y.gif

Potentially your best post ever.

OnTheWarpath58
01-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I have a feeling that Michael Bush isn't going to come cheap. He's going to want to sign with a team where he's starting.

Craig Davis would be interesting....considering that he played alongside Bowe at LSU.

Bush would start here.

Think about it.

Over-Head
01-12-2011, 03:26 PM
How funny , al Davis gets things going in the right direction and then butchers it. Love it
He's finally come to teh conclusion we can't "just win baby"....so's he's keeping the team in a constant state of re-build :banghead:

WE ARE SOOOO FFFFUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD NEXT SEASON

beach tribe
01-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Bush would start here.

Think about it.
Yup he could take over TJs "starting" role. This would be a good move for us (if he's not too overpriced) IMO.

He, or someone like him, is exactly what this team needs. TJ is done I do believe. I hope the coaching staff makes the right decision regarding him.

OnTheWarpath58
01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Yup he could take over TJs "starting" role. This would be a good move for us (if he's not too overpriced) IMO.

He, or someone like him, is exactly what this team needs. TJ is done I do believe. I hope the coaching staff makes the right decision regarding him.

Looks like the Jets knew what they were doing.

Like last year, TJ gave his team 9 or so games, then trailed off badly, just in time to be worthless when it mattered most.

chasedude
01-12-2011, 03:34 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/24epe1y.gif

Potentially your best post ever.

:LOL: Is that Sedated?

OnTheWarpath58
01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
:LOL: Is that Sedated?

Yep.

A bunch of us were at the bar next to that live shot Friday night.

Still waiting for a better quality video of it.

Pestilence
01-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Bush would start here.

Think about it.

Well yeah.....but I think he's going to want a little bit more money than we're going to offer him. Thomas Jones will be back next year.

chasedude
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Yep.

A bunch of us were at the bar next to that live shot Friday night.

Still waiting for a better quality video of it.

LMAO His little goatee was enough to figure out it was him.

OnTheWarpath58
01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Well yeah.....but I think he's going to want a little bit more money than we're going to offer him. Thomas Jones will be back next year.

I hope you're wrong. I've had enough of Two-Yard Thomas.

ForeverChiefs58
01-12-2011, 04:00 PM
I hope you're wrong. I've had enough of Two-Yard Thomas.

yeah, and that's with 2-3 carries.

kcfanXIII
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Too bad we couldn't have had Cable on the sidelines for the playoff game.He could have punched Weis in the jaw a few times.

the people's coach? Anytime we start to boo, he goes up and clocks the coach or player responsible.

Chiefaholic
01-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Then shut the **** up, change teams, kick ball, get check.

Reading comprehension a problem for ya? It's NOT about the money, he can make top money for at least 10 teams if he chooses to leave. He's tired of the coaching carousel and wants to participate on a winning franchise. The Raiders WERE heading in the right direction before the senile old man blew shit up again

beach tribe
01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Looks like the Jets knew what they were doing.

Like last year, TJ gave his team 9 or so games, then trailed off badly, just in time to be worthless when it mattered most.

Looks that way.

scott free
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Things are looking good for another AFCW crown this year...

Al has once again gutted his teams morale & set them back atleast another 2-3 years.

Dinver continues to grope about like a drunken blind man, as sought after HC candidate after sought after HC candidate has told horseface to stick his vacancy up his vacancy.

The dolts will break in a new D coordinator & just ensure total fail, Norvs back as skipper, taking them for another 'three hour tour'.

MahiMike
01-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Right now we have a 50/50 shot at winning the division - even with our tough schedule. 2 teams in our division w/coaching changes at the same time = SWEET!

beach tribe
01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
The dolts will break in a new D coordinator & just ensure total fail, Norvs back as skipper, taking them for another 'three hour tour'.

Nice

alanm
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
They'd really let Lechler go? His punting is probably responsible for half their wins.We're talking about Al Davis here Tim.

OnTheWarpath58
01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Looks that way.

Yeah, it does.

We got some good work out of TJ for half a season. I just hope they don't make the mistake of bringing him back, like they did with Vrabel.

Pestilence
01-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Yeah, it does.

We got some good work out of TJ for half a season. I just hope they don't make the mistake of bringing him back, like they did with Vrabel.

Well.....Michael Bush and Jamaal Charles would be fucking epic.

OnTheWarpath58
01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Well.....Michael Bush and Jamaal Charles would be fucking epic.

I agree.

TheGuardian
01-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, it does.

I agree.

I saw some early season runs by TJ a few days ago and I was like "Wow!" Early in the season he still had a lot of pop and explosiveness. Late in the season it looked like he was running in mud.

beach tribe
01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah, it does.

Yeah, me too. I honestly think he will be back though. I just hope it doesn't stop them from bringing in the guy we need. TJ can still be effective with about 50-75 carries. He can be the third guy, with battle going to the PS.

Rausch
01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah, me too. I honestly think he will be back though. I just hope it doesn't stop them from bringing in the guy we need. TJ can still be effective with about 50-75 carries. He can be the third guy, with battle going to the PS.

I'd like to see Battle get a chance...

Over-Head
01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Reading comprehension a problem for ya? It's NOT about the money, he can make top money for at least 10 teams if he chooses to leave. He's tired of the coaching carousel and wants to participate on a winning franchise. The Raiders WERE heading in the right direction before the senile old man blew shit up again
THIS :banghead:

Over-Head
01-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Well.....Michael Bush and Jamaal Charles would be ****ing epic.
Would be as nice as the thoughts of Aso and Woodson both headhunting together back there. That WOULD have happened in anyother world but Al's, who as we all know wanted to play a $60Mill game of Craps instead

Valiant
01-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Yeah, I don't see him having a problem getting a check from some other team..