PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Money-boy Newton going for the money

Mr. Laz
01-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton will skip his senior season at Auburn and apply for the NFL draft.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="1"> <tbody> <tr><th>http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/c_newton_110113_IA.jpg

</th></tr> <tr><td>Auburn QB Cam Newton won the Heisman Trophy and the BCS national title in his junior season. Next up? Applying for the NFL draft. (Matthew Emmons/US Presswire/)</td></tr> </tbody> </table>
"This decision was difficult for me and my family," Newton said in a statement released by Auburn on Thursday night. "After talking to Coach (Gene) Chizik and Coach (Gus) Malzahn, I think it is best that I make that next step in my career and forgo my senior season and enter the NFL Draft. It was a very hard decision for me, especially after coming off the great season we had at Auburn. I'm blessed to have been around an excellent environment and have great teammates, coaches and support from the Auburn family.

"It's been a blessing for me to be a part of something so great. Any time you win games it's a big deal, but for this school to win a BCS National Championship, what a way to make people happy. Auburn is a special place that I can call home."

Newton led the Tigers to their first national title since 1957 and a 14-0 season with a 22-19 victory over Oregon on Monday night.

"We appreciate Cameron's many contributions to Auburn and the outstanding leader that he was for our football team," Chizik said in the statement. "He had one of the greatest individual seasons ever by an Auburn player and was a key part of our championship run. Cam will always be a member of the Auburn family and we wish him the best in his future endeavors."

The dual-threat quarterback was both dynamic and controversial. He played under a cloud the last two months of the season after reports surfaced that his father, Cecil, shopped his services during Mississippi State's recruitment of his son.

Newton rushed for 1,473 yards and 20 touchdowns this past season and passed for 2,854 yards and 30 TDs.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Miles
01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Surprising.

pr_capone
01-13-2011, 09:25 PM
http://www.imageleech.net/data/media/1/well_bye_2.jpg

googlegoogle
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
We're going to hear all the racism crap when he falls down to the 4th round.

Scrambling qb with off the field issues.

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2011, 10:42 PM
We're going to hear all the racism crap when he falls down to the 4th round.

Scrambling qb with off the field issues.

You are a dumbass.

Nightfyre
01-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I just don't see how his career is going to be worthwhile. Consider the following:
1) He will take three years to develop an aptitude for an NFL style offense/learning to read blitzes, etc.
2) Hes a scrambling QB, meaning he will be getting hit way more than average.
3) A large portion of his value is based on his speed. That diminishes ~30

So he'll be 22 by the time he hits the draft. Three years off the front, he'll be 25 by the time hes ready and if he doesn't get killed he'll be useful until about 31, 32. Seven years upside at a maximum. Compare that to a pocket QB coming from a pro style offense who is good for like fifteen years and its really no comparison IMO.

L.A. Chieffan
01-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Hide yo laptops!

Shogun
01-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Heisman winner

BCS championship winner

why would he stay?

He's just taking a paycut

pr_capone
01-13-2011, 10:57 PM
$10 says he is out of the league and penniless within 6 years. 3/4 years with his original team 2/3 between another two teams.

grandllama
01-13-2011, 10:58 PM
$10 says he is out of the league and penniless within 6 years. 3/4 years with his original team 2/3 between another two teams.

I'd say him and Leinart and Russell will start a restaurant / bar in two years when all of them are out of the NFL...

JoeyChuckles
01-13-2011, 11:02 PM

So the Leinart treatment?

WebGem
01-13-2011, 11:07 PM

Oh, so just because this is a possibility he shouldn't enter the draft?

And anyone who doesn't like Cam, I just don't understand that. He's one of the best college football players in recent history. He had one of the single best seasons of all time. How can you not like him?

HotRoute
01-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Bet he goes in the 3-4 rounds, and develops into a pretty decent backup somewhere

pr_capone
01-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Oh, so just because this is a possibility he shouldn't enter the draft?

Did I say that?

And anyone who doesn't like Cam, I just don't understand that. He's one of the best college football players in recent history. He had one of the single best seasons of all time. How can you not like him?

I don't like him because of his character. Or lack of.

grandllama
01-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Did I say that?

I don't like him because of his character. Or lack of.

This.

WebGem
01-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Well you guys would definitely hate me then, because there's not a thing he's done (or may have done) that I wouldn't do.

grandllama
01-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Well you guys would definitely hate me then, because there's not a thing he's done (or may have done) that I wouldn't do.

Did you play NCAA Div I?

pr_capone
01-13-2011, 11:19 PM

Then it's settled... we hate you too!

HotRoute
be honest who here thinks that the top tier college football players dont get some compensation, whether it be gifts, money, or "tutors" to do their schoolwork??

Shit happens all the time and always will, the NCAA just needs a scapegoat from time to time to divert attention away from the corrupt ways in college sports

ChiefsCountry
Did you play NCAA Div I?

At age 20, somebody offered you 150k you wouldn't take it?

Shogun
01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Cam is the man, I wish him the best of luck

Brock
01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Hell, Vince Young was a functional moron and he went top 5. It'll be interesting to see where this guy ends up.

WebGem
01-13-2011, 11:21 PM

Cam is the man, I wish him the best of luck

This and this. Seriously though, there's soooo many people that bash Cam who if they were in his shoes would have done the same exact thing. I'm not saying everyone, I'm just saying a lot of the people who call him a scumbag/POS/whatever else.

pr_capone
01-13-2011, 11:22 PM

Having my teammates stripped of a national championship would not be worth 150k to me. The black eye it would give the school that gave me an opportunity to showcase my talents and gave me a free education would not be worth it.

If there are 80 kids on the team, that means I sold them out for just under $2k a head.

WebGem
01-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Having my teammates stripped of a national championship would not be worth 150k to me. The black eye it would give the school that gave me an opportunity to showcase my talents and gave me a free education would not be worth it.

If there are 80 kids on the team, that means I sold them out for just under $2k a head.

Oh so the price matters now? So what price WOULD you do it for? Maybe 2k per head means more to Cam than it does to you.

grandllama
01-13-2011, 11:25 PM

Well, if it meant my school being put on probation and me losing my eligibility in the middle of a championship season, .... probably not.

If it meant I could detract attention from the cheaters at Ohio State while everybody concentrated on me... definitely not

If it meant that two basketball players at a Big 12 team got suspended for using their Macy's 'Wow' card at the Manhattan Town Center just so the NCAA could say 'Hey, see, we take infractions seriously' and hoping everybody forgets the fact I'm the moron that actually broke rules, but I'm the NCAA's bread and butter...

ah what the hell, yeah. I do it.

pr_capone
01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Oh so the price matters now? So what price WOULD you do it for?

:doh!:

I just used the figure that was stated in the hypothetical situation.

Maybe 2k per head means more to Cam than it does to you.

I'm sure it does. That is where the lack of character comes to play.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2011, 11:33 PM

So you stole other people's laptops and got cheated three times and got paid $150K for it?

zonachief
01-13-2011, 11:46 PM
So you stole other people's laptops and got cheated three times and got paid $150K for it?

I thought Masoli stole laptops, not Cam Newton

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2011, 11:48 PM
I thought Masoli stole laptops, not Cam Newton

Its how Newton got kicked off the Gators.

HotRoute
01-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Josh Luchs thinks cam newton has great character, what are you guys talking about

HotRoute
01-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Its how Newton got kicked off the Gators.

Both of them were accused of this, cam said he purchased it at a very low cost

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Well, if it meant my school being put on probation and me losing my eligibility in the middle of a championship season, .... probably not.

If it meant I could detract attention from the cheaters at Ohio State while everybody concentrated on me... definitely not

If it meant that two basketball players at a Big 12 team got suspended for using their Macy's 'Wow' card at the Manhattan Town Center just so the NCAA could say 'Hey, see, we take infractions seriously' and hoping everybody forgets the fact I'm the moron that actually broke rules, but I'm the NCAA's bread and butter...

ah what the hell, yeah. I do it.

I think all colleges bend the rules, but the word "cheater" doesn't work here.

OSU players didn't cheat. Unlike Auburn, neither the school nor boosters were caught doing anything illegal, and the players didn't get in trouble for doing something that might cause unfair advantage.

What they did was stupid and illegal. But not cheating.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Well, I'm not a big fan of the kid because I think he's the classic example of a guy who gets away with murder because he happens to be good at football. But I'd draft a guy in a heartbeat if I thought he'd help my team.

The problem is, I don't think Cam Newton will. He's not going to be a good NFL QB and to boot, I don't think the guy has the character to become great.

grandllama
01-14-2011, 12:15 AM
I think all colleges bend the rules, but the word "cheater" doesn't work here.

OSU players didn't cheat. Unlike Auburn, neither the school nor boosters were caught doing anything illegal, and the players didn't get in trouble for doing something that might cause unfair advantage.

What they did was stupid and illegal. But not cheating.

That logic works the same for the KState players....

Getting a discount on clothing is hardly cheating at their game...

But the NCAA did do everything they could to deflect criticism off their Cam decision by 'disciplining' others.

Bewbies
01-14-2011, 12:39 AM
It cracks me up how quickly people write this guy off. He was better than Tebow and he can actually throw the ball.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2011, 01:30 AM
It cracks me up how quickly people write this guy off. He was better than Tebow and he can actually throw the ball.

The best QBs in the NFL are relentless students of the game. Peyton and Brady still to this day pour countless hours in the film room.

First of all, I'm not convinced Cam Newton is that smart. When you cheat three times in school at Florida, that's not the sign of someone who's particularly dedicated to working hard. Secondly, given the way he loves money, I can't imagine this is a guy who will keep his focus when he starts making billions of dollars. It sounds like there are plenty of scouts who question whether his work ethic is pretty similar to Jamarcus Russel's. Not good for a guy who is going to need a LOT of work, given the kind of college system he played in.

The one thing I knew about Tim Tebow is that he would work his tail off to become the best he could be. I don't know what his upside is, but I know that it wouldn't be for lack of effort.

I think he's going to find that those running lanes that he had in spades in college are going to disappear. He's going to have to learn to read a defense and I don't think he has the work ethic to do that.

Extra Point
01-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Thus, the tailspin in the Auburn program begins. The Heisman committee will have another buyback program, and some NFL team has a wideout and kick returner in three seasons.

Thig Lyfe
01-14-2011, 04:24 AM
If he were clean, I'd imagine he might want to stick around to prove a point.

DaKCMan AP
01-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Seriously? I'm not bashing the guy's on-field performance. For argument's sake, go ahead and ignore the Dad-pay-for-play thing.

You'd steal another student's laptop?
You'd take another student's turned in assignment, erase his or her name, write in your own name, and then turn it in? Twice? Three times?

:shake:

Chiefnj2
01-14-2011, 06:19 AM
I just don't see how his career is going to be worthwhile. Consider the following:
1) He will take three years to develop an aptitude for an NFL style offense/learning to read blitzes, etc.
2) Hes a scrambling QB, meaning he will be getting hit way more than average.
3) A large portion of his value is based on his speed. That diminishes ~30

So he'll be 22 by the time he hits the draft. Three years off the front, he'll be 25 by the time hes ready and if he doesn't get killed he'll be useful until about 31, 32. Seven years upside at a maximum. Compare that to a pocket QB coming from a pro style offense who is good for like fifteen years and its really no comparison IMO.

It's hard enough to find a franchise QB of any type who can play for 7 years let alone 15 years. Its' a silly argument to say "don't draft the guy because you'll only get 7 years of franchise play".

People said it would take Bradford 3 years to develop an aptitude for the NFL after "being a spread monkey". I'm not saying Newton is as smart or dedicated as Bradford. I have no idea. I do know he is a rare talent. He can throw the ball well. He can deal with adversity. He has led his team from behind in big games. If he seems serious about learning the NFL game, he could be a great QB.

DaKCMan AP
01-14-2011, 06:35 AM
It's hard enough to find a franchise QB of any type who can play for 7 years let alone 15 years. Its' a silly argument to say "don't draft the guy because you'll only get 7 years of franchise play".

People said it would take Bradford 3 years to develop an aptitude for the NFL after "being a spread monkey". I'm not saying Newton is as smart or dedicated as Bradford. I have no idea. I do know he is a rare talent. He can throw the ball well. He can deal with adversity. He has led his team from behind in big games. If he seems serious about learning the NFL game, he could be a great QB.

Yep. I see Newton as a less accurate, slightly weaker-armed, more-mobile Josh Freeman.

bevischief
01-14-2011, 07:47 AM
If he were clean, I'd imagine he might want to stick around to prove a point.

this.