PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Girl falls into fountain while texting at the Berkshire Mall

|Zach|
01-14-2011, 05:40 PM
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWtDpGM36J8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWtDpGM36J8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Rain Man
01-14-2011, 05:48 PM
I bet she immediately sent a text that said, "OMG! IM DRWNNG!"

KCFalcon59
01-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Ha Ha!

Baconeater
01-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Damn, it's a shame she survived.

seaofred
01-14-2011, 05:51 PM
What a dummy!

Dicky McElephant
01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
I like how no one stopped or even noticed wtf just happened.

Scorp
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
note to self: Fountains make chicks wet.

BigMeatballDave
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
LMAO

TIED5573
01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
:thumb:

WhitiE
01-14-2011, 07:03 PM
note to self: Fountains make chicks wet.

lol! nice one man

Talisman
01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
It may look like an accident, but I bet she does this at all the malls. Notice the bag she took into the water with her? A couple of quick swipes of the arm and she probably walked away with $2.47 or more in fountain change.

Johnny Vegas
01-14-2011, 07:43 PM
that trip will not be shown on her youtube or facebook account.

doomy3
01-14-2011, 07:54 PM
LMAO

WebGem
01-14-2011, 07:55 PM
It may look like an accident, but I bet she does this at all the malls. Notice the bag she took into the water with her? A couple of quick swipes of the arm and she probably walked away with $2.47 or more in fountain change.

lol

Lonewolf Ed
01-14-2011, 07:59 PM
If she has not been doing it before, she will now; it's too dangerous to walk and text at the same time, so from now on, she will only do it while driving.

Chiefs Rool
01-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I bet she texted what happened to her while she drove home

Chief Chief
01-15-2011, 12:53 PM
If you slow it down to 1/50th the normal speed, you'll see Dontay Moch walk towards the camera, fall into the water, get out, and walk away to the left; all of this happening mere seconds before the female splashes into the water.

WebGem
01-15-2011, 01:35 PM
If you slow it down to 1/50th the normal speed, you'll see Dontay Moch walk towards the camera, fall into the water, get out, and walk away to the left; all of this happening mere seconds before the female splashes into the water.

I'm confused?

chasedude
01-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Com'n Really? :shake: stupid people

Phobia
01-15-2011, 02:29 PM
People will do just about anything to get a viral video these days.

Phobia
01-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm confused?

Moch is really, really fast.

CoMoChief
01-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Damn, it's a shame she survived.

ROFL

Pioli Zombie
01-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I've already seen this on facebook. Where is this Berkshire Mall? I want to go to that fountain and piss in it and see if I get famous.

suzzer99
01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Well I'm not sure if it's a good sign for the this not being a fake that three different sites list this as coming from the Berkshire Mall in 3 different states.

(Biloxi Berkshire Mall)
http://www.examiner.com/berkshire-mall-in-biloxi

which links to

(Berkshire Mall in Lanesborough, MA)
http://current.com/entertainment/comedy/92921587_girls-falls-into-fountain-while-texting-at-the-berkshire-mall-in-lanesborough-massachusetts-video-the-daily-blender.htm

which links to

(Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing, PA Near Reading, PA)
http://thedailyblender.blogspot.com/2011/01/girls-falls-into-fountain-while-texting.html

Really shows a lot about the internet echo chamber that 2 sites who should presumably at least attempt to be accurate - The Biloxi Examiner and Current TV, would relay the story with one location for their mall - then use as their source a site that reports the mall is in a completely different state. :confused:

This fountain does look familiar though: http://www.labelscar.com/pennsylvania/berkshire-mall

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6402/berkshiremall078649386.jpg

CaliforniaChief
01-17-2011, 12:51 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gE6RGETOM5E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gE6RGETOM5E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

alpha_omega
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Malls still exist?

doomy3
01-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Sounds like this whore is planning to sue the mall:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2011/01/20/fall_in_fountain_while_texting_girl_has_lawyer

It turns out that the unidentified "girl" that was caught on tape falling into a fountain while texting...has a lawyer.

Her attorney, James M. Polyak of Reading, said he plans to conduct an investigation into what happened. "We are troubled by the fact that anyone at the Berkshire Mall responsible for releasing this video would find humor in an employee injured on the premises," Polyak said. "We intend to hold the appropriate persons responsible.

doomy3
01-20-2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/20/earlyshow/main7265096.shtml

(CBS) READING, Pa., We've all been warned about the dangers of texting and driving, but for one woman, it turned out that texting while walking wasn’t a good idea.

Cathy Cruz Marrero was doing just that in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, Pa. when she suddenly tumbled headfirst into a water fountain, getting completely drenched.

It was caught by the mall's surveillance video system, then posted on YouTube, where it's been viewed almost 2 million times.

Cruz Marrero, 49, who works in the mall, has hired an attorney.

She wasn't hurt, "at least not physically," remarked "Early Show" co-anchor Chris Wragge.

But Cruz Marrero says what does hurt is "the humiliation (from the video having been put online). The humiliation. Ask my husband: I cried for days. … You don't know how many people are laughing at me."

Texting while walking, Cruz says, is "dangerous. … I could have been walking into a bus, a car, a ditch, anything. Texting and walking, take it from me, is dangerous. It really is."

She told the Reading Eagle, "I don't think security was professional because they didn't send anyone to check on me until 20 minutes later and I had already left."

doomy3
01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/20/earlyshow/main7265096.shtml

(CBS) READING, Pa., We've all been warned about the dangers of texting and driving, but for one woman, it turned out that texting while walking wasn’t a good idea.

Cathy Cruz Marrero was doing just that in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, Pa. when she suddenly tumbled headfirst into a water fountain, getting completely drenched.

It was caught by the mall's surveillance video system, then posted on YouTube, where it's been viewed almost 2 million times.

Cruz Marrero, 49, who works in the mall, has hired an attorney.

She wasn't hurt, "at least not physically," remarked "Early Show" co-anchor Chris Wragge.

But Cruz Marrero says what does hurt is "the humiliation (from the video having been put online). The humiliation. Ask my husband: I cried for days. … You don't know how many people are laughing at me."

Texting while walking, Cruz says, is "dangerous. … I could have been walking into a bus, a car, a ditch, anything. Texting and walking, take it from me, is dangerous. It really is."

She told the Reading Eagle, "I don't think security was professional because they didn't send anyone to check on me until 20 minutes later and I had already left."

I would say there is some truth to this part though. As hilarious as it was, security should have been more professional in how they handled it.

Frankie
01-20-2011, 12:53 PM
She's now suing the Mall! "Nobody came to my aid!" :rolleye: Why the f@#$% is ABC News even giving this bitch an interview?!

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fountain-lady-nobody-went-to-my-aid-23909987

Inspector
01-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Have a good trip. See ya next fall!

Chiefs Rool
01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
people who sue others because of their own dumbassery need a serious beat down.

Frankie
01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
people who sue others because of their own dumbassery need a serious beat down.

This. How the hell did she expect to get help? She got up and got out of there by herself. It wasn't like she was drowning! I cannot believe the audacity of some people and the ambulance chasers who egg them on.

notorious
01-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Everyone has done something stupid then looked around to see if anyone else saw it.

Just imagine having 2 million people standing their when it happens. ROFL

Hydrae
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Now that she is making an issue of this, everyone in the country knows her name. At least before this she was annonymous. Smart move by someone who was tramatized by embarrasment. :thumb:

Frankie
01-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Everyone has done something stupid then looked around to see if anyone else saw it.

So if she wants to sue someone she should sue whoever put the video online. Even then she won't win, because she could not be recognized from the footage.

Frankie
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Now that she is making an issue of this, everyone in the country knows her name. At least before this she was annonymous. Smart move by someone who was tramatized by embarrasment. :thumb:

Exactly what the Malls Lawyers are gonna argue. I'm pretty sure her case will be thrown out by the court before it even goes to trial.

notorious
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
So if she wants to sue someone she should sue whoever put the video online. Even then she won't win, because she could not be recognized from the footage.

What upsets me is the fact that the mall will have to hire a lawyer and pay for a defense for a lawsuit that is obviously bullshit.

If a person sues, they should be responsible for the winner's lawyer bills in these type of lawsuits.

Blindside58
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM

I walked into a Giant Glass Wall entering the Champs store at Metcalf south about 10 years ago. It made the biggest "Gong" sound I have ever heard and everyone in the store stopped at looked at me like "WTF". I thought it was an opening and it actually stunned me for a second. I immediately turned around left in embarrassment with only about 10 on-lookers. I wonder if I was a good laugh for security that day???
Wish I had a video of it.

kstater
01-20-2011, 01:09 PM

She had no expectation of privacy in the mall.

Frankie
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
She had no expectation of privacy in the mall.

True.

BigVE
01-20-2011, 01:34 PM
She's now suing the Mall! "Nobody came to my aid!" :rolleye: Why the f@#$% is ABC News even giving this bitch an interview?!

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fountain-lady-nobody-went-to-my-aid-23909987

How stupid can you get...until this interview we really had no real clue who the woman was or what she looked like. Now the whole f'n world knows who this stupid broad is. And yes, she is stupid, just watch the vid. She actually seemed to get emotional at one point in the interview like we should feel sorry for her for her own ignorance. "Nobody came to my aid. Nobody." Well, DUH!

jettio
01-20-2011, 01:39 PM
It is not right for the rent-a-cops to make their own video and put it on you tube.

It is not like every misfortune that a person has needs to be posted online.

I would not be surprised if the rent-a-cops that made the video and posted it get in some kind of trouble for that.

Rausch
01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
It is not right for the rent-a-cops to make their own video and put it on you tube.

It is not like every misfortune that a person has needs to be posted online.

EVERYTHING is on video.

That said all stupid is prone to be and will be viral eventually.

Rain Man
01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Holy cow. I agree with everyone else. She did something kind of dumb and it was on film. That's unfortunate for her, but it's hard to argue that it wasn't dumb. But identifying herself and doing the legal stuff is a thousand times dumber. It went from "Haha, some girl fell into the pool while texting" to "Cathy Cruz Marrero of Reading, Pennsylvania, is dumber than a box of sedimentary rocks".

We've all done something stupid and been embarrassed. In her case, no one even knew who she was until she identified herself. That's way better than some of the mistakes I've made.

Rausch
01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Holy cow. I agree with everyone else. She did something kind of dumb and it was on film. That's unfortunate for her, but it's hard to argue that it wasn't dumb. But identifying herself and doing the legal stuff is a thousand times dumber. It went from "Haha, some girl fell into the pool while texting" to "Cathy Cruz Marrero of Reading, Pennsylvania, is dumber than a box of sedimentary rocks".

This.

jettio
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
EVERYTHING is on video.

That said all stupid is prone to be and will be viral eventually.

It seems to me that the rent-a-cops made their own video by filiming the mall's video monitors as it played the surveilance footage.

If the mall released the video to the rent-a-cops for the purposes of posting it online then that would be worse for the mall, but it looks like the rent-a-cops made their own video and posted it and when it comes down to it that is kind of a chickens*t thing to do.

It is a lesser degree than what those Rutgers students did to humiliate that gay roomate who then killed himself.

Just because your job gives you access to video of some amusing misfortune does not mean that you should broadcast it to a big audience.

kstater
01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
It seems to me that the rent-a-cops made their own video by filiming the mall's video monitors as it played the surveilance footage.

If the mall released the video to the rent-a-cops for the purposes of posting it online then that would be worse for the mall, but it looks like the rent-a-cops made their own video and posted it and when it comes down to it that is kind of a chickens*t thing to do.

It is a lesser degree than what those Rutgers students did to humiliate that gay roomate who then killed himself.

Just because your job gives you access to video of some amusing misfortune does not mean that you should broadcast it to a big audience.

And the company for the mall security certainly has grounds for disciplinary action, but the woman has no legal right for lawsuit.

Frankie
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
We've all done something stupid and been embarrassed.

Very classy of you Mr. Rain Man to rank yourself alongside mere mortals. You have inspired me to do the same.

jettio
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
And the company for the mall security certainly has grounds for disciplinary action, but the woman has no legal right for lawsuit.

I don't know that there is a legal claim to plead, but she did not do anything criminal, so I would think people could have some reasonable expectation that malls and other businesses would not allow their surveillance videos to be exploited for entertainment purposes if the amusing footage is something not related to security.

Otter
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM

We've all done something stupid and been embarrassed. In her case, no one even knew who she was until she identified herself. That's way better than some of the mistakes I've made.

She deserves whatever she gets at this point.

Well, not bound and quartered or anything like that but she's going to be harassed and humiliated and I really can't say I feel any sympathy for her at this point.

Bob Dole
01-20-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't know that there is a legal claim to plead, but she did not do anything criminal, so I would think people could have some reasonable expectation that malls and other businesses would not allow their surveillance videos to be exploited for entertainment purposes if the amusing footage is something not related to security.

But it IS related to security/safety. It illustrates, in a humorous way, the dangers involved in texting while anything but stationary.
Posted via Mobile Device

jettio
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
But it IS related to security/safety. It illustrates, in a humorous way, the dangers involved in texting while anything but stationary.
Posted via Mobile Device

You must be a rent-a-cop, but not quite as noble or heroic as Paul Blart, Mall Cop.

Rausch
01-20-2011, 03:02 PM
You must be a rent-a-cop, but not quite as noble or heroic as Paul Blart, Mall Cop.

He's definitely law enforcement...

kysirsoze
01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Wow. Nobody would have known it was her if she just would have stayed quiet. The embarrassment angle is bullshit. She just wants attention and money.

suzzer99
01-20-2011, 03:07 PM
How stupid can you get...until this interview we really had no real clue who the woman was or what she looked like. Now the whole f'n world knows who this stupid broad is. And yes, she is stupid, just watch the vid. She actually seemed to get emotional at one point in the interview like we should feel sorry for her for her own ignorance. "Nobody came to my aid. Nobody." Well, DUH!

She'll get a web-redemption on tosh.0 and a nice payday out of it. Probably get some other gigs. Maybe even a settlement from the mall.

Yeah so dumb to go public.

The dude my avatar is based on has made several $100ks already.

Los Pollos Hermanos
01-20-2011, 03:08 PM
She's lucky there was water in the fountain.

jettio
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
She'll get a web-redemption on tosh.0 and a nice payday out of it. Probably get some other gigs. Maybe even a settlement from the mall.

Yeah so dumb to go public.

The dude my avatar is based on has made several $100ks already.

Does tosh pay those folks who go on for a web redemption?

I suppose it would be good business to pay them something.

I don't know that the mall would pay anything, but maybe if they do not feel like firing the rent-a-cops.

suzzer99
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm sure they get paid something for their appearance.

EyePod
01-20-2011, 03:48 PM
This. How the hell did she expect to get help? She got up and got out of there by herself. It wasn't like she was drowning! I cannot believe the audacity of some people and the ambulance chasers who egg them on.

The only legitimate argument I could see would be that the fountain height is too low. I know hand rails at work environments need to be above a certain height to be considered safe by OSHA (don't want people just toppling over them because they're too low). Maybe she could clame this. But then again, she shouldn't be texting while walking either. And there was no injury. Plus she's and idiot.

Stewie
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
That's either fake or she's really stupid. She lifts her leg to go over the obstruction and doesn't care/notice what's on the other side? I call BS.

FAX
01-20-2011, 03:59 PM
We have a mall that features an 18 foot drop into a giant teacup merry-go-round kind of deal. Assuming that I don't fall on a child, I think that should be worth a couple of million. Especially if, once I'm in one of the giant teacups, I go around a few times.

FAX

Pawnmower
01-20-2011, 04:40 PM
What upsets me is the fact that the mall will have to hire a lawyer and pay for a defense for a lawsuit that is obviously bullshit.

If a person sues, they should be responsible for the winner's lawyer bills in these type of lawsuits.

This. And...Furthermore....The mall won't have to foot the bill for the lawyer...Guess who will?

The mall's insurance company.

That means YOUR insurance goes up as well as mine EVERY SINGLE TIME someone brings a frivolous lawsuit like this.

It is ridiculous....and there is no incentive right now for lawyers to end this problem.

jettio
01-20-2011, 05:06 PM
This. And...Furthermore....The mall won't have to foot the bill for the lawyer...Guess who will?

The mall's insurance company.

That means YOUR insurance goes up as well as mine EVERY SINGLE TIME someone brings a frivolous lawsuit like this.

It is ridiculous....and there is no incentive right now for lawyers to end this problem.

They should change the laws so that people like this lady can get revenge on the rent-a-cops by beating the sh*t out of them or destroying thousands of dollars of their property without having to worry about being prosecuted for it.

That is the way to fix the problem, if something happens were somebody does you wrong in a way that would be a civil suit under the current system, we can take that right to bring a lawsuit away from the wronged person as long as the wronged person gets automatic absolute criminal immunity for anything that they do to the wrongdoing person.

I don't know if it would be as practical as the current system, but at least it would solve the problem of people pissing and moaning about the courthouse being the place to get redress for the wrongs that people do.

Insurance rates might still be high to pay for the damage to life, limb and property that might result from a revenge system being adopted but at least we can stop the pizzing and moaning about lawsuits being such a bad way to resolve disputes.

mcaj22
01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I haven't read through this thread but I'm from Reading PA and I used to work in this mall. This has been all over the local news. This lady (who you clearly cant tell visibly on the video) outed herself and got a lawyer. I guess she was on Good Morning America with her lawyer? I don't know.

Apparently, she actually works in the mall or something and she also has like 5 felony charges on some money embezzlement in 2007.

She's making a fool of herself.

kstater
01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
They should change the laws so that people like this lady can get revenge on the rent-a-cops by beating the sh*t out of them or destroying thousands of dollars of their property without having to worry about being prosecuted for it.

That is the way to fix the problem, if something happens were somebody does you wrong in a way that would be a civil suit under the current system, we can take that right to bring a lawsuit away from the wronged person as long as the wronged person gets automatic absolute criminal immunity for anything that they do to the wrongdoing person.

I don't know if it would be as practical as the current system, but at least it would solve the problem of people pissing and moaning about the courthouse being the place to get redress for the wrongs that people do.

Insurance rates might still be high to pay for the damage to life, limb and property that might result from a revenge system being adopted but at least we can stop the pizzing and moaning about lawsuits being such a bad way to resolve disputes.

:spock:

notorious
01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Apparently, she actually works in the mall or something and she also has like 5 felony charges on some money embezzlement in 2007.

Ouch. There is her reason for the lawsuit.

Baconeater
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Jettio must be a lawyer.

FAX
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Wow. Apparently, she's also on probation after a hit-and-run (probably while texting) in 2009. So, she's a thief, an embezzler, a hit-and-runner, and a major klutz. That's marrying material, right there.

FAX

Rain Man
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Wow. Apparently, she's also on probation after a hit-and-run (probably while texting) in 2009. So, she's a thief, an embezzler, a hit-and-runner, and a major klutz. That's marrying material, right there.

FAX

You'd think that a klutz wouldn't be involved in thievery. The skill sets don't match up at all. Now, klutz and hit-and-runner, that's a natural match, but not klutz and thievery.

Halfcan
01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
whattadumbbitch

kcfanXIII
01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
If she wanted to make money off of this she should have sent a copy to Americas Funniest Videos. As stated, can't tell who it is from video. Only from the publicity she created herself. Hope someone posts the video of the judge laughing at her...

suzzer99
01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Ouch. You'd really think someone like this would think twice about outing themselves in public. http://abcnews.go.com/US/fountain-falling-texter-cathy-cruz-marrero-dont-text/story?id=12685189

mcaj22
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
it was funny today local news cameras are outside her house as she's getting in her car for a court date on felony charges and she's smiling/talking to them like it's nothing.

Hydrae
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Ouch. You'd really think someone like this would think twice about outing themselves in public. http://abcnews.go.com/US/fountain-falling-texter-cathy-cruz-marrero-dont-text/story?id=12685189

I noticed in the interview she says she first found out about the video on YouTube from her nephew on Friday (2 days after the incident) but then goes to talk about calling security on Thursday to report the issue and is upset they didn't apologize. If she didn't know about the YouTube posting until Friday, why did she expect to get an apology on Thursday?

Baconeater
01-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Wow, that video pretty much erased any doubt about her being stupid bitch.

Guru
01-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Ouch. You'd really think someone like this would think twice about outing themselves in public. http://abcnews.go.com/US/fountain-falling-texter-cathy-cruz-marrero-dont-text/story?id=12685189What a damn moron.

CosmicPal
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
She's telling everyone, especially the younger generation not to text and walk? How bout telling the younger generation not to embezzle, steal shit from merchants, and other people? What a cunt.

ClevelandBronco
01-20-2011, 11:10 PM
She deserves whatever she gets at this point...

What if what she gets is a big fat settlement?

Pioli Zombie
01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Ok,I'm just saying, my thing is, don't you be saying nothing, know what I'm sayin? My thing is, you know, this girlfriend don't play that and I'm just saying, my thing is, yo yo yo.

Deberg_1990
01-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Sure, she was laughed at.....but nobody even knew who this chick was nor would they have ever known until SHE willingly came out. WTH???

Pioli Zombie
01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Sure, she was laughed at.....but nobody even knew who this chick was nor would they have ever known until SHE willingly came out. WTH???
Kind of like Cassel. When he was a backup for 7 years nobody knew he sucked.