PDA

View Full Version : Football Raiders fine Cable $120k in 2010

chief52
01-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Long live Al Davis. This franchise has become the laughing stock of professional sports!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6027281

As former Oakland Raiders coach Tom Cable was attempting to lead his team to the playoffs this season, owner Al Davis began deducting $20,000 from each of his head coach’s paychecks until he had withheld $120,000 in fines, according to team sources.

In turn, Cable filed a grievance against his owner with the NFL, becoming the latest Raiders head coach to be embroiled in a financial dispute with his owner.

Now NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will appoint an arbitrator to whom the Raiders and Cable will have to submit legal arguments and witnesses. The arbitrator then will make the final ruling.

The NFL is doing its due diligence to ascertain the exact reasons for the fines.

The financial feud illustrates how much the relationship between Davis and Cable deteriorated and helps explain why the Raiders owner declined to pick up the two-year option in Cable’s contract. The ouster of Cable drew criticism from the Raiders' players, including punter Shane Lechler.

But what few players in the locker room realized was that, as Oakland was registering its best season since its AFC championship in 2002, the Raiders owner and head coach were barely communicating -- other than through legal channels.

Davis was said to be upset with Cable over the fact that Oakland lost two days of Organized Team Activities (OTAs) in June 2010, among other things. The Raiders also lost a week of their offseason program in 2007 because of the intensity of practices under then-coach Lane Kiffin, whom Davis also battled.

Kiffin filed a grievance against the Raiders after he was fired when he felt that Davis owed him money, but the arbitrator ruled in Oakland’s favor. Davis has a history of financial disputes with his head coaches dating back to Mike Shanahan. The NFL has had to help settle financial disputes with four of Davis’ last five head coaches, according to a source.

It's not atypical for teams and coaches to have financial disputes. But usually they come after termination, not before.

Davis is now searching for a head coach, and many believe the favorite for the job is Oakland’s offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson. A potential offensive coordinator if Jackson is hired as coach is Al Saunders, a coach Davis long has liked.

Cable also is looking for a job and his agent, Don Yee, told The Associated Press the night that his client was fired that other teams already had begun expressing interest.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Bane
01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Again?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240381

chief52
01-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Ok...how do you delete before the re-post police go off?

Bugeater
01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
You can't. But you can plead innocent due to the vague title on the other thread.

doomy3
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Easily missed since the title of the other thread didn't say anything about what it was about.

Bugeater
01-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Easily missed since the title of the other thread didn't say anything about what it was about.
REPOST GODDAMNIT!

chief52
01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
You can't. But you can plead innocent due to the vague title on the other thread.

Thanks...I did look, but now I do see why I missed it.

Bane
01-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Actually I just did it because you didn't say **** off if repost.I like it when they say that.:thumb:
Then sometimes things are good/funny enough to re-post.

KCUnited
01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I'd give Al a kidney to prolong his life.

Over-Head
01-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Ok, AL is too far gone in mental capasity to lead this team...Would someone slip him a qualude or 10 and let him enjoy life drooling on himself

KCUnited
01-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Ok, AL is too far gone in mental capasity to lead this team...Would someone slip him a qualude or 10 and let him enjoy life drooling on himself
I'm sending him some Centrum Silver as we speak.

vailpass
01-16-2011, 12:05 PM

LMAO For sure.

threebag
01-16-2011, 12:21 PM

He prolongs his life by a steady diet of boy butter. So save your kidney and squeeze him out some scrimps spanky.

Extra Point
01-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I think we have our future OC, a phone call away. Keep Cable in the booth, so he can't wail on Haley during game time. And Haley better buy a lot of steak-and-tater dinners for his linemen.

Spott
01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Doesn't he still owe Mike Shanahan his salary from about 20 years ago?

Rain Man
01-16-2011, 01:55 PM
the only reason anyone takes a coaching job with the raiders these days is that they're playing the odds of al dying before he starts ripping them off. they don't consult with lawyers. they consult with actuaries.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
01-16-2011, 02:03 PM
May Al live to be 140! Long live Al!!

Bane
01-16-2011, 02:12 PM
If he does die,they can clone him so he can do it all over again.

Extra Point
01-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Doesn't he still owe Mike Shanahan his salary from about 20 years ago?

Yeah, but Todd Bolen is "new money."

Psyko Tek
01-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I dunno about cloning
he used to be good

if you could age him to the 1990 al that would be fine

Chieftain58
01-16-2011, 02:39 PM
REPOST GODDAMNIT!

I could give a f(Y& less if anything on this board is a repost, funny you whiny bastards have nothing better to do then read page after page of sh^& then complain 9 pages later that its a fuggin repost, get a f-ing life

Over-Head
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM
I could give a f(Y& less if anything on this board is a repost, funny you whiny bastards have nothing better to do then read page after page of sh^& then complain 9 pages later that its a fuggin repost, get a f-ing life can't ya just feel the love in this room??:D

Phobia
01-16-2011, 04:08 PM
I used to be a Chiefs fan but after a couple of decades, I consider it cheating to be in the same division as the Raiders. It's like an able-bodied guy winning gold at the special olympics.