PDA

View Full Version : Life International Move

Elwaysux
01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
I posted a while back about a possible job in Saudi Arabia and, other than a few off color jokes, received some great input on ex-pat living. Well the job offer came through today and I have accepted it so now the real work begins. My feeling is to sell everything because it will be at least two years and maybe more. Mrs. ElwaySux wants to store stuff and give stuff to the kid's, one just got married, like furniture and electronics etc. Thoughts from CP are appreciated and thanks again to those folks that supplied information last time.
I will look into if CP is available or if the GirlyThread knocks it out of cirulation in the Kingdom.

trndobrd
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Congrats on the job in the Magic Kingdom.

How much can you take with you? I would be inclined to put things in storage. At least enough to set up housekeeping if you have to move back to the States on short notice. $60 a month isn't going to break the bank.

My favorite SA memory was walking to lunch with my boss and he said, "It seems cooler today, probably not even 120."

Rain Man
01-17-2011, 10:27 PM
i'm envious. I yearn for adventure.
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Must be a good job. My Aunt travels to Saudi and such places with the Army Corp of Engineers and I can tell you she doesn't make enough to do so. Good luck though!

Baconeater
01-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Good luck dude, there's no amount of money that could get me to move over there.

gawnAdansig
01-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Hello. And Bye.

Thig Lyfe
01-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Hello. And Bye.

Post of the year.

FAX
01-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Saudi society maintains some beliefs and traditions that may seem odd to you at first. For example, many people there believe that, when you fart, you are releasing a demon. So, do not fart in public if you can help it. If you do, you may find yourself being accused of demon releasing. Also, I don't think that your wife will be able to use a swimming pool after around 5 pm. That is a crime punishable by stoning. However, if she does go swimming after 5 pm and she is caught, the best advice is for her to fart a lot. With any luck, this will drive away the police.

FAX

WV
01-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Saudi society maintains some beliefs and traditions that may seem odd to you at first. For example, many people there believe that, when you fart, you are releasing a demon. So, do not fart in public if you can help it. If you do, you may find yourself being accused of demon releasing. Also, I don't think that your wife will be able to use a swimming pool after around 5 pm. That is a crime punishable by stoning. However, if she does go swimming after 5 pm and she is caught, the best advice is for her to fart a lot. With any luck, this will drive away the police.

FAX

ROFL:LOL:

Fritz88
01-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Good luck. Where in Saudi? Jeddah?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog Farmer
01-18-2011, 06:17 AM

FAX

In addition I should warn you that getting a DWI over there is punishable by the chopping off of one foot. So if you are a drinker I would suggest keeping your feet at home.

ReynardMuldrake
01-18-2011, 06:28 AM
In addition I should warn you that getting a DWI over there is punishable by the chopping off of one foot. So if you are a drinker I would suggest keeping your feet at home.

Do they even sell alcohol in Saudi Arabia?

Slainte
01-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Do they even sell alcohol in Saudi Arabia?

No. But if you know the rights places and people, they give it away for free.

Slainte
01-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Congratulations on you new job, original poster. I don't know the particulars of your specific situation, but generally speaking, SA is a good place for contractors. It's close enough to get good money without being *too* close to an active war zone.

And no matter where you get it, federal income tax exemption is a great perc...

Hog Farmer
01-18-2011, 06:46 AM
No. But if you know the rights places and people, they give it away for free.

Yeah. If you can buddy up with some of our Marines you're in.

Elwaysux
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I am moving to Jeddah but the job takes me throughout the Middle East, Africa and Asia. They are paying for housing, insurance, travel, vacation and my son's tuition. The no tax thing is awesome although my accountant was telling me that if the US does not have a reciprocal tax agreement with Saudi Arabia then I am going to still have to pay The Man. Thanks for the advice from CP. We will be living in a compound that has pools that allow women to wear whatever so Mrs. Elway Sux will not have to wear a burka to the pool. Also she gets a car and a driver since women are not allowed to drive so she is excited about that. I know it's going to be tough but at least I get away from Obama for a few years. This should also be the lock for the Chiefs getting to the Super Bowl.

Spott
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Do they provide you with any kind of security if you are working in any dangerous areas over there?