PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs OC prospects

Pages : [1] 2

HIChief
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Do the better-informed on this board know whether there are any Offensive Coordinator prospects among the recently departed playoff teams? Just wondering since 1 Arrowhead should be free to talk to them now.

WebGem
01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Check that -- Former Browns OC Brian Daboll will be hired as the Dolphins OC. http://es.pn/fgW0UF

So one guys outta question.

L.A. Chieffan
Jimmy Raye is available I believe

L.A. Chieffan
Paul hackett?

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-miller/4aad07c2-29d2-446e-9e69-024bd27b81e9

Rams Fan
01-17-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-miller/4aad07c2-29d2-446e-9e69-024bd27b81e9

I was one of the 1st ones to bring him up. There's also Freddie Banks...

Hoover
01-17-2011, 01:42 PM
We need a no name, that's the only way it will work with Haley.

booger
01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Nothing really new either, just someone other than the locals that cover the team are mentioning his name. I doubt he makes the leap to OC but this tidbit fits in this thread as much as any.

Matt Cassel still has his QB tutor
January, 17, 2011
Jan 17
10:00
AM ET

By Bill Williamson
I know a lot of Kansas City Chiefs fans are nervous about the further development of quarterback Matt Cassel now that Charlie Weis has departed for the University of Florida.

The feeling is understandable. Cassel made major strides in 2010, Weis’ one season in Kansas City.

But fans need to take solace in the fact that assistant coach Nick Sirianni is remaining. Kansas City insiders say that Sirianni had a huge influence on Cassel this season. He worked very closely with him and the two have a good working relationship.

So, there’s no reason to think that Cassel will take a major step backward, because Sirianni will continue to work with him.

Sirianni’s name has surfaced as a possible candidate to replace Weis. Even if he doesn’t get the promotion, Sirianni will still work with Cassel on day-to-day basis. So, while Weis’ departure is significant, Cassel’s future success is not in major peril.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

booger
01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
now that the Pats are out something could happen with Nick Caserio if he is in the picture

SNR
01-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Nothing really new either, just someone other than the locals that cover the team are mentioning his name. I doubt he makes the leap to OC but this tidbit fits in this thread as much as any.

January, 17, 2011
Jan 17
AM ET

By Bill Williamson
I know a lot of Kansas City Chiefs fans are nervous about the further development of quarterback Matt Cassel now that Charlie Weis has departed for the University of Florida.

The feeling is understandable. Cassel made major strides in 2010, Weis’ one season in Kansas City.

But fans need to take solace in the fact that assistant coach Nick Sirianni is remaining. Kansas City insiders say that Sirianni had a huge influence on Cassel this season. He worked very closely with him and the two have a good working relationship.

So, there’s no reason to think that Cassel will take a major step backward, because Sirianni will continue to work with him.

Sirianni’s name has surfaced as a possible candidate to replace Weis. Even if he doesn’t get the promotion, Sirianni will still work with Cassel on day-to-day basis. So, while Weis’ departure is significant, Cassel’s future success is not in major peril.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwestThis is my pick. It sounds like Haley's going to call the plays on gameday anyway. May as well put the kid in there and see how he does.

GloryDayz
01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Jason Whitlock always thought he knew everything, maybe they should interview him, then tell him to go F himself...

ChiefsCountry
01-17-2011, 02:13 PM
I was one of the 1st ones to bring him up. There's also Freddie Banks...

Freddie Kitchens.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Freddie Mercury.

Rausch
01-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Freddie Mercury.

Dude, he is the flaming AIDS tree...

Stinger
01-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Jason Whitlock always thought he knew everything, maybe they should interview him, then tell him to go F himself...

I say forget the interview process and get right to the telling part.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Dude, he is the flaming AIDS tree...

We NEED a flaming AIDS Tree.

booger
01-17-2011, 02:27 PM
This is my pick. It sounds like Haley's going to call the plays on gameday anyway. May as well put the kid in there and see how he does.

Haley might be thinking of structuring the offensive staff like Parcells did with Dallas. Pass game CO's like Sean Payton and Haley and Run Game CO's like Sparano and Carthon but only Payton and then Sparano called plays i think.

Just nice to have a up and coming coach on staff like Sirianni for a change.

BossChief
01-17-2011, 02:30 PM

January, 17, 2011
Jan 17
AM ET

By Bill Williamson

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

this all sounds well and good till you go back and read the interview with Cassel from a few days ago that he says we need to hire someone that can stay in his ear and push him in the right direction...or however he worded it.

I like Sirianni and think he can develop into a damn good coach, but he isnt there quite yet or Cassel would have given him a vote of confidence and he wouldnt have fallen apart after it was a given that Weis was leaving.

I HATE to say it, but I think Cassel regresses unless Josh McDaniels is hired or we can get someone else that can get him to take up where he left of after Weis left.

booger
01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
this all sounds well and good till you go back and read the interview with Cassel from a few days ago that he says we need to hire someone that can stay in his ear and push him in the right direction...or however he worded it.

I like Sirianni and think he can develop into a damn good coach, but he isnt there quite yet or Cassel would have given him a vote of confidence and he wouldnt have fallen apart after it was a given that Weis was leaving.

I HATE to say it, but I think Cassel regresses unless Josh McDaniels is hired or we can get someone else that can get him to take up where he left of after Weis left.

I've also read where Cassel commented on how Weis was always calm on game days and that helped him. I just though the article was a good piece not necessarily that Sirianni is ready for that jump. It would be like Haley getting the OC job his third year with the Jets after 2 as O asst./quality control.

Assuming a Caserio from NE or even McDaniels, the main system guy out there yet is Carolina's Jeff Davidson. In a case like that i could see them letting Sirianni call plays here and there to bring him along. Just give him the qb coach title.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
I think we should take a look at Brad Childress, he wasn't cut out to be a head coach but he did have a good offensive scheme. I think he would help Cassel and improve our passing game.

Brock
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I think we should take a look at Brad Childress, he wasn't cut out to be a head coach but he did have a good offensive scheme. I think he would help Cassel and improve our passing game.

:vomit:

Rausch
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I see absolutely NOTHING I want for OC....

GloryDayz
01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I say forget the interview process and get right to the telling part.

Well I was thinking that maybe they'd limo him into the facility, keep him until dark, tell him to F himself, then tell him no ride for him and lock the gates so the cab can't get in to pick him up...

BossChief
01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I've also read where Cassel commented on how Weis was always calm on game days and that helped him. I just though the article was a good piece not necessarily that Sirianni is ready for that jump. It would be like Haley getting the OC job his third year with the Jets after 2 as O asst./quality control.

Assuming a Caserio from NE or even McDaniels, the main system guy out there yet is Carolina's Jeff Davidson. In a case like that i could see them letting Sirianni call plays here and there to bring him along. Just give him the qb coach title.

If there is any truth to the rumors that Haley and Weis had a blowup that lead to the breakup, there is probably no chance Jeff Davidson would be coming here.

I don't really care either, he isn't a guy I would consider "wanting" on this team.

Haley and Pioli need to find a way to get Josh McDaniels on board one way or another if they want to keep Matt Cassel on the track he was on until the blowup toward the end of the Titans game.

Why is this Caserio guy being thrown around? He is a player personnel guy, not a coach.

DMAC
01-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I think Haley already made the decision...himself.

Rausch
01-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Fucking terrible decision.

We've tried that...

DMAC
01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Fucking terrible decision.

We've tried that...

And yet it's happening.

Rausch
And yet it's happening.

Pioli isn't that stupid...

BossChief

this would be a shame because I truly believe in Haley as having potential to be a great HC that could lead us to the promised land...but he cant do it alone.

Rausch
01-17-2011, 02:51 PM
this would be a shame because I truly believe in Haley as having potential to be a great HC that could lead us to the promised land...but he cant do it alone.

I'd prefer we shipped him off to some deserted island...

MOhillbilly
01-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Helllllllll no.

booger
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
If there is any truth to the rumors that Haley and Weis had a blowup that lead to the breakup, there is probably no chance Jeff Davidson would be coming here.

I don't really care either, he isn't a guy I would consider "wanting" on this team.

Haley and Pioli need to find a way to get Josh McDaniels on board one way or another if they want to keep Matt Cassel on the track he was on until the blowup toward the end of the Titans game.

Why is this Caserio guy being thrown around? He is a player personnel guy, not a coach.

With Davidson i'm just going based on System as i had thought with Daboll. But neither worked with Haley before. If it's going to be someone who has it would be like people have mentioned Mike Miller or way back to John Schoop to the Bears days with Haley and Greg Olson.

I don't want Davidson either, i just think he would take the job because there isn't probably going to be an OC job for him and hopefully in such a case Haley would call plays but still have and experienced OC.

It may not be the norm with most teams but NE seems to have a few guys here and there who have bounced back and forth to the scouting side and coaching side. Caserio was a WR coach at one point and i didn't know before Milkman mentioned it but he is in the booth on gameday helping the O staff all of this season.

BossChief
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
****ing terrible decision.

We've tried that...

I agree with this, but last time around he was having to spend a great deal of time on the defense and now he may have enough faith in Romeo Crennel to say "the defense is yours" and for him to work full time as the OC this upcoming year until a worthy candidate comes available next offseason.

Trouble with that is he may not last that long if the gamble doesnt work out.

Brock
01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Whoever he hires, if anybody, is probably just going to be a puppet anyway.

Rausch
01-17-2011, 02:56 PM
I agree with this, but last time around he was having to spend a great deal of time on the defense

The last time (he ran the offense in KC) he admitted he spent NO TIME, AT ALL, ON THE DEFENSE.

He acknowledged that he overstepped his bounds and it was a good idea to take a step back and let his coordinators work this year.

I think I've seen all I need to see during game time to determine he's not BB or Parcells...

booger
01-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Yep. He wouldn't just hand the offense over to anyone and there isn't any Weis types available. Not really much of anything available besides McDaniels.

Just great that we have Romeo to run the D and not Pendergast.

MOhillbilly
01-17-2011, 02:57 PM

And thats a terrible spot to put a staff in.

BossChief
01-17-2011, 03:00 PM

and that may well be the fukd part.

Any truly worthy candidate would want a little more control than Haley will likely be willing to deal out because they would be wanting to pursue a HC job within 2-3 years. Reportedly this was a big part of why Weis made so much sense as he reportedly didnt want to be a HC anymore.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

BossChief
01-17-2011, 03:03 PM
The last time (he ran the offense in KC) he admitted he spent NO TIME, AT ALL, ON THE DEFENSE.

He acknowledged that he overstepped his bounds and it was a good idea to take a step back and let his coordinators work this year.

I think I've seen all I need to see during game time to determine he's not BB or Parcells...
not saying I don't believe you, as you and I see eye to eye on a lot of issues concerning the team, but I haven't read that before just now.

Interesting.

MOhillbilly
01-17-2011, 03:06 PM
and that may well be the fukd part.

Any truly worthy candidate would want a little more control than Haley will likely be willing to deal out because they would be wanting to pursue a HC job within 2-3 years. Reportedly this was a big part of why Weis made so much sense as he reportedly didnt want to be a HC anymore.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

If true its a straight up candidate killer. It will leave the chiefs looking for late fires , journeymen, & noobs.

F-that.

Bring in a hired gun.

Brock
01-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Haley wants someone who will just do what they're told. A guy like Weis, who has a sliiiiightly more decorated resume than Haley, isn't going to listen to stupid crap without questioning it.

MOhillbilly
01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
JFC we are the jags.

MOhillbilly
01-17-2011, 03:14 PM
The ****ed up thing is that this team is SOFT and needs direction. Haley and not pioli needs to be the tip of the spear. If haley is to ****in scared to turn the play calling over then he has zero buis. as a head coach in the nfl.
this team needs focus and it starts with haley.

Nuff said.

ChiefsCountry
01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Pioli isn't that stupid...

Well he did trade for Matt Cassel and draft Tyson Jackson.

Rausch
01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Well he did trade for Matt Cassel and draft Tyson Jackson.

You give a HC 3 years in the NFL...

bevischief
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Mecca.

CupidStunt
01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Todd Haley. It's inevitable. fucking awful, but inevitable.

Norman Einstein
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Jimmy Raye is available I believe

nlm

Paul hackett?

nlm

nlm
We saw how that worked last year.

I'd take Al Saunders any day. Just have to hope the Ravens fire him this week.

DaneMcCloud
01-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I'd take Al Saunders any day. Just have to hope the Ravens fire him this week.

Al Saunders is heading to Oakland to work under Hue Jackson.

Secondly, Saunders doesn't run the Erhardt-Perkins offense, he runs the Coryell/Zampese offense, so he's not the right guy, regardless.

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
I HATE to say it, but I think Cassel regresses unless Josh McDaniels is hired or we can get someone else that can get him to take up where he left of after Weis left.Can someone explain how Cassel regresses without Weis?

He's not going to suddenly forget how to play with proper footwork or stop going through progressions.

I'm hopeful the lessons Cassel learned from Weis this year will be permanent.

Iconic
01-17-2011, 10:17 PM
McDaniels or bust bitches! Just imagining Cassel playing like he did in NE would be orgasmic and great for the Chiefs. Haley needs to stop being such a bitch and man up. At this rate no one will want to work with him...:#

Caserio is a great option as well. Him or McDumbass would do.

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Just imagining Cassel playing like he did in NE would be orgasmic and great for the Chiefs.

Cassel was better in the second half this season than he was in NE.

Iconic
01-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Cassel was better in the second half this season than he was in NE.

Stats wise he obviously out did himself from what he played in NE. But he definitely didn't pass the eye test. Maybe in a couple notable games like the Titans or Seahawks game. Besides that he was average this season. There's a reason Pioli grabbed him from NE. He looked and was playing like a legit franchise QB that year. Point is having McDaniels being fired was a true blessing in disguise and if we don't take advantage of it that's just stupidity.

Tribal Warfare
01-17-2011, 10:36 PM
teh, it doesn't matter Cassel turns into a little bitch against quality competition

milkman
01-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Stats wise he obviously out did himself from what he played in NE. But he definitely didn't pass the eye test. Maybe in a couple notable games like the Titans or Seahawks game. Besides that he was average this season. There's a reason Pioli grabbed him from NE. He looked and was playing like a legit franchise QB that year. Point is having McDaniels being fired was a true blessing in disguise and if we don't take advantage of it that's just stupidity.

He didn't look or play like a legitimate franchise QB in New England.

He struggled in the pro set, and McDumbass increased the number of snaps out of the shotgun spread.

When they needed plays from the pro set, he, and that offense, failed to produce.

Iconic
01-17-2011, 10:41 PM
teh, it doesn't matter Cassel turns into a little bitch against quality competition

He played a hell of a good game against the Seahawks and last time I checked beating the defending Superbowl champs in the playoffs should at the least make you 'quality competition'.

Regardless, I think the entire team turns into chicken shit when playing quality competition. Not just Cassel.

RustShack
01-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Holy shit. Did you really just bring up the Seahawks?

Tribal Warfare
01-17-2011, 10:42 PM
He played a hell of a good game against the Seahawks and last time I checked beating the defending Superbowl champs in the playoffs should at the least make you 'quality competition'.

Regardless, I think the entire team turns into chicken shit when playing quality competition. Not just Cassel.

ass raped by the Raiders and Ravens at home back to back, no excuses

Iconic
01-17-2011, 10:59 PM
He didn't look or play like a legitimate franchise QB in New England.

He struggled in the pro set, and McDumbass increased the number of snaps out of the shotgun spread.

When they needed plays from the pro set, he, and that offense, failed to produce.

<object width="400" height="325"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TP3mH2Ez-UU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TP3mH2Ez-UU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="325"></embed></object>
Damn near looks close enough milkman.

It was a different situation at a different time. Cassel was there as a sub for Brady 'McDumbass' was trying to get optimum output out of Cassel with the short amount of time they had with him. What they did there was for present circumstances not for the long run. Here Cassel is in a different situation he's a starter and 'McDumbass' would treat him a little more differently...

Holy shit. Did you really just bring up the Seahawks?

Yes... I can talk about the Cardinals if you'd like.:)

ass raped by the Raiders and Ravens at home back to back, no excuses

It took Team effort to suck that bad... Not just Cassel.

milkman
01-17-2011, 11:18 PM
<EMBED height=325 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=400 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/TP3mH2Ez-UU?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>
Damn near looks close enough milkman.

It was a different situation at a different time. Cassel was there as a sub for Brady 'McDumbass' was trying to get optimum output out of Cassel with the short amount of time they had with him. What they did there was for present circumstances not for the long run. Here Cassel is in a different situation he's a starter and 'McDumbass' would treat him a little more differently...

I watched all but one of those '08 Patriot games.

I watched as Cassel struggled with his mechanics dropping back, and setting his feet to throw.

He looked like ass.

He looked "close enough" out of the spread, just like college QBs who are never able to transition to the pro sets after looking like potential great QBs in a spread.

And what has McDumbass done to develop a QB?

He didn't develop Cassel, and Orton was already developing into a good QB in Chicago.

DaneMcCloud
01-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Can someone explain how Cassel regresses without Weis?

He's not going to suddenly forget how to play with proper footwork or stop going through progressions.

Yeah, that was clearly evident in the Oakland and Baltimore games.

salame
01-17-2011, 11:38 PM
it will be Nick Sirriani (sp)

GordonGekko
01-17-2011, 11:47 PM
I have no problem with Haley calling plays, the guy produced huge in Arizona. The Chiefs should up Crennel's pay big time, give him complete control of the _efense, and Haley should focus solely on Offense and Special Teams, this could work.

salame
01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
or the special teams coordinator could take care of that

Count Alex's Losses
01-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Yeah, that was clearly evident in the Oakland and Baltimore games.

Eh, I think it's a red herring. We just got whipped by superior talent.

Besides, you suggest that Weis stopped coaching Cassel the last two weeks. Doesn't really add up.

Norman Einstein
01-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Al Saunders is heading to Oakland to work under Hue Jackson.

Secondly, Saunders doesn't run the Erhardt-Perkins offense, he runs the Coryell/Zampese offense, so he's not the right guy, regardless.

In two trips to KC Al Saunders was exceptionally successful.

I think the Chiefs would thrive under him as an OC again. It didn't take long for it to work for Marty or DV. With the players the Chiefs have I think it would be a great reunion.

Count Alex's Losses
01-18-2011, 01:00 AM

I think the Chiefs would thrive under him as an OC again. It didn't take long for it to work for Marty or DV. With the players the Chiefs have I think it would be a great reunion.

Saunders was not OC under Marty. He was a WR coach.

Hiring Saunders means installing a completely new offense. Stupid at this point and would only set back Cassel.

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2011, 01:08 AM

I'm a huge fan of Saunders and always have been but since he doesn't run the Erhardt-Perkins offense, he'd fit as well as Chan Gailey did under Haley.

Round peg in a square hole. Completely different offensive philosophies.

It sucks that he'll be in Oakland. With their running backs, WR and offensive line, they could be even more dangerous under Saunders than they were under Jackson last year offensively (25 points per game).

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Eh, I think it's a red herring. We just got whipped by superior talent.

Besides, you suggest that Weis stopped coaching Cassel the last two weeks. Doesn't really add up.

I disagree.

Cassel completely regressed against Oakland & Baltimore. He displayed the same exact nervousness in the pocket and poor passing instincts as he did for the first seven weeks of the season.

While he greatly progressed in November and the early part of December, his play fell off the final two games to the point where he was last December, against teams like San Diego & Denver.

I hope his level of play in 2011 begins to once again ascend but at this point in time, I'm extremely skeptical.

booger
01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Filed to ESPN: Rams' talks breaking down w McDaniels; Rams seek permission to talk to Falcons' Bill Musgrave & Vikings' Darrell Bevell

http://twitter.com/mortreport/status/27401494307278848

booger
01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
# The only time a team has to say yes to another club on an assistant coach under contract is if it's for the head coaching position less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

# The Rams this morning were denied permission by the Jaguars to speak with OC Dirk Koetter 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Also filed to ESPN: Musgrave interviewing with Browns and Vikings over next 2 days for OC jobs; Bevell still in Vikes picture 11 minutes ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/mortreport

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 10:43 AM
If Sirianni is the QB coach and continues working with Cassel, then I don't see much drawback to getting McDaniels in here.

booger
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
i wonder what the holdup in STL is? Other than the west coast offense to the Pats type offense. Maybe he doesn't interview very well.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 10:53 AM
i wonder what the holdup in STL is? Other than the west coast offense to the Pats type offense. Maybe he doesn't interview very well.

From what I heard, (and maybe OTWP can confirm or deny) that Spags and McDaniels do not get along. Billy Deveney is a McDaniels fan and was trying to force the marriage.

Brock
01-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Nobody gets along with McDaniel. That's probably why he isn't here.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Very true.

Brock
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM
On the other hand, I'm reading that Spags is a giant asshole too.

booger
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
From what I heard, (and maybe OTWP can confirm or deny) that Spags and McDaniels do not get along. Billy Deveney is a McDaniels fan and was trying to force the marriage.

from the way he pissed of several in Denver including Mike Nolan and Cutler, etc from his first year yep he's got a bad rep as an arrogant pecker head. One would assume getting fired would humble him. Maybe not.

booger
01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
On the other hand, I'm reading that Spags is a giant asshole too.

the story about how he ran off the equipment manager of 40 years or however many seems to confirm that.

booger
01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Maybe Spags and Childress would be 2 peas in a pod

dirk digler
01-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Nobody gets along with Haley apparently either. It would be a perfect match

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Maybe Spags and Childress would be 2 peas in a pod

It would be the perfect marriage. They know each other well.

booger
01-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Updated: January 18, 2011, 11:43 AM ET
Rams reaching out to other coaches

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
Archive

While former Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels was the leading candidate as the next offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams, a significant snag in negotiations has led the team to broaden its search to include coaches with West Coast-system roots in which quarterback Sam Bradford excelled during his rookie season, according to sources.

The Rams went through league channels Tuesday morning to request interviews with coaches including Bill Musgrave of the Falcons and Darrell Bevell of the Vikings. Musgrave is the assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach in Atlanta and Bevell has been in limbo as the offensive coordinator in Minnesota.

The Rams were denied permission to speak with Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who is under contract through 2011.

Bevell, whose status in Minnesota is in limbo while coach Leslie Frazier looks at offensive coordinator candidates, is interviewing Tuesday for the Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach job, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is looking to replace quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch, who is leaving the team to become offensive coordinator at the University of Miami.

Musgrave is scheduled to interview with the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday and Vikings on Wednesday for the offensive coordinator position. Bevell is still a candidate to retain the job in Minnesota.

McDaniels appeared poised to replace Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, who was hired as the Browns' new head coach. However, more than two days of talks did not produce a deal between the Rams and McDaniels, a surprising development that may have been derailed by the team's conservative fiscal approach, one source said. The talks could be revived but neither side appears optimistic.

McDaniels also is in conversation with other unidentified teams, according to another source.

The Falcons value Musgrave and view him as the potential successor to offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, who is considered a future head-coaching candidate. However, a team source said Falcons coach Mike Smith reluctantly granted permission for Musgrave to interview with the Browns and Vikings, although there was no guarantee Musgrave would accept those jobs even if offered a promotion.

The Rams, however, hold an attraction to quality coordinator candidates because of Bradford, who is expected to be named the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst. ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6033335&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

booger
01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
It would be the perfect marriage. They know each other well.

yep, other than if something opens up with Reid and Philly unexpectedly, I would think he would sit the year out and get paid by the Vikes if he doesn't take the rams job.

Bill Lundberg
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Seattle just fired Jeremy Bates. Any connection there?

milkman
01-18-2011, 12:51 PM

No.

West Coast guy.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Why in the hell would they fire Bates?

He was given complete shit to work with.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 12:53 PM
McDaniels in conversations with other unnamed teams?

There are 3 OC openings left - the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns other than the Rams.

Apparently Saunders is going to Oakland.

It wouldn't shock me if we are talking to him.

booger
01-18-2011, 12:54 PM

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/jeremy-bates/eeed55b4-11d4-422f-abf5-4cc9b1d8c5ec

he was a Shanahan coach and then with Heimerdinger and Herm at NY jets. Maybe with Heimerdinger battling cancer Fisher will pick him up.

That is a suprise he got canned.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Actually, it now wouldn't shock me if McDaniels is headed to Seattle. There's no way he's firing a solid young mind like Bates without a replacement ready.

However, the cabinet is fucking bare there offensively.

booger
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM

There are 3 OC openings left - the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns other than the Rams.

Wouldn't shock me either. Heck, maybe he even returns to NE and opens up a spot for Scott O'Brien or Caserio here.

milkman
01-18-2011, 12:57 PM

I doubt that Pat Shurmer would have any interest in McDumbass.

He is a west coast guy, as is Mike Holmgren, so I'd bet that Jeremy Bates would be on their radar.

The Bad Guy
Wouldn't shock me either. Heck, maybe he even returns to NE and opens up a spot for Scott O'Brien or Caserio here.

Don't see it happening.

booger
Actually, it now wouldn't shock me if McDaniels is headed to Seattle. There's no way he's firing a solid young mind like Bates without a replacement ready.

However, the cabinet is ****ing bare there offensively.

That would make sense. Their qb coach left for the U of Miami. You would think Carroll has a plan in place.

booger
01-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Don't see it happening.

:D

Longshot for sure. I'm just being hopeful

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Bates really got fucked in this deal.

He left the NFL to go to USC with Carroll. He came back to the pros and had an offer to be the OC in Chicago, but went with Pete instead.

Now he's looking at either being the Rams or Browns OC.

milkman
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
That would make sense. Their qb coach left for the U of Miami. You would think Carroll has a plan in place.

I'd think it unlikely that Carroll would be interested in McDumbass, since Carroll has been a west coast guy throughout his HC career.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Maybe Carroll wants to hire Childress.

Frosty
01-18-2011, 01:02 PM

However, the cabinet is ****ing bare there offensively.

Seattle has been WCO forever. If McDaniels ends up there, it's a sign that Hasselbeck is gone (probably about time anyway).

milkman
01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe Carroll wants to hire Childress.

Thought about that, but I wonder if Childress is even interested in returning to coaching next season.

He hasn't really been mentioned in any reports of potential interviews.

booger
01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Or Darrell Bevell

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I forgot the Vikings job is still open. Bates could land there too.

booger
01-18-2011, 01:08 PM
How did Nolan Cromwell do as Mike Sherman's OC at Texas A&M? I know he's a west coast offense guy probably under consideration in Cleveland as well.

Plenty of West Coast Candidates.

KCScott
01-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Haley could just go ahead and jump into the Batshit Crazy phaze, and start referring to himself in 3rd person and name himself OC

"I have decided Todd should be calling the plays, and Todd will report directly to me and be fully responsible for the performance on the field"

Count Alex's Losses
01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I disagree.

Cassel completely regressed against Oakland & Baltimore. He displayed the same exact nervousness in the pocket and poor passing instincts as he did for the first seven weeks of the season.

While he greatly progressed in November and the early part of December, his play fell off the final two games to the point where he was last December, against teams like San Diego & Denver.

I hope his level of play in 2011 begins to once again ascend but at this point in time, I'm extremely skeptical.

Yeah, but I don't know why you would blame that on Weis.

He was here.

Is Cassel so fragile that the mere idea of his OC leaving shatters his confidence?

I think his poor games had a lot more to do with the offensive line playing like utter shit and the Ravens just blanketing every receiver within a 3,000 mile radius. Cassel was playing mistake-free football until midway through the third quarter of the playoff game. He was 7 out of 10, IIRC, and that was with one dropped pass and Moeaki not getting his feet down on another good throw.

booger
01-18-2011, 01:35 PM
What are Nicks sources saying about the OC search clay

booger
01-18-2011, 01:35 PM
give us teh scooop

Chiefs Pantalones
01-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Okay gang...

King_Chief_Fan
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM

he is saying....the deal is done

booger
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Filed to ESPN: ow that Seahawks have Jeremy Bates in Seattle, Josh McDaniels has emerged as OC candidate. Same division as Rams.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/27447005496221696

booger
01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Okay gang...

he is saying....the deal is done

i expect an article in 48 to 96 owers

booger
01-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Seahawks have been talking with former Broncos HC Josh McDaniels since Monday. Interesting. 11 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

TRR
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd be fine with Bates in KC tutoring Cassel. He did well helping Cutler in Denver and seems to have a good offensive mind. I'm not sure Haley and Bates O philosophy meshes 100 percent, but Haley is going to design the offense in his image no matter who comes on board.
Posted via Mobile Device

Von Dumbass
01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I'd be fine with Bates in KC tutoring Cassel. He did well helping Cutler in Denver and seems to have a good offensive mind. I'm not sure Haley and Bates O philosophy meshes 100 percent, but Haley is going to design the offense in his image no matter who comes on board.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bates is young and all he knows is the west coast offense.

Bewbies
01-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Nick Athan knew who we would hire before Urban Meyer retired again.

booger
01-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Bates was with Gruden in Tampa before moving on to the jets and Herm/Heimerdinger. Bill Muir came from Tampa and would be a KC connection since he would have worked with him then.

booger
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Nick "Assclown" Athan knew who we would hire before Urban Meyer retired again.

nick knew about charlies gall bladder problems before even charlie did. he's that good.

Frosty
01-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Bates was with Gruden in Tampa before moving on to the jets and Herm/Heimerdinger. Bill Muir came from Tampa and would be a KC connection since he would have worked with him then.

You do a great job of playing "Six Degrees of Separation" with the Chiefs.

Thanks. :thumb:

booger
01-18-2011, 02:43 PM
You do a great job of playing "Six Degrees of Separation" with the Chiefs.

Thanks. :thumb:
Thanks, it's just a big guessing game.

you wanna know who else was on that tampa staff? John Schoop the current UNC OC. He was qb coach. He was the OC for the bears when Haley was the WR coach and Greg Olson, the name that gets mentioned by Teicher the most, was the bears qb coach and The OC with the Bucs currently.

I'm in no loop with any insiders so the quickest way is to find past connections of previous staffs. That seems to be the safest guess most times because nepotism in the NFL is huge. More often than not it is types of moves instead of what Pete Carroll seems to be doing and going after someone like McDaniels he never worked with.

booger
01-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Bates' departure could trigger many Seahawks staff changes

* By Jason La Canfora NFL Network

The Seattle Seahawks are reshaping their coaching staff after the departure of offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates on Tuesday, and some league sources expect former Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels to be among the top candidates to replace him.

The Seahawks have been willing to spend a lot of money in coaches and players, and McDaniels is a hot candidate who already has interviewed with the Minnesota Vikings and St. Louis Rams. McDaniels was the first candidate interviewed by the Rams for their offensive coordinator opening, but those talks have hit a snag, a source said.

Also, Tom Cable, former head coach of the Raiders, is another top candidate available as offensive line coach, an area that needs upgrading in Seattle. Cable is a direct coaching descendant of Alex Gibbs, who retired as Seattle's line coach just before the season began.

Ray Brown, who will not return to the 49ers as assistant offensive line coach, and Carl Smith, formerly of the Browns, would fit schematically with the Seahawks and head coach Pete Carroll as well, perhaps in assistant roles.

The Seahawks also are interviewing Darrell Bevell, who remains -- for now -- the Vikings' offensive coordinator, for their quarterbacks coach position, according to a league source.

Some coaches who know both Bates and Carroll believe that the differences in their personalities -- Carroll has more of a laid-back persona, while Bates is fiery and super-intense at times -- could have led to the parting.

Ultimately, the Seahawks will have a series of staff changes for second offseason in a row.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc3e24/article/bates-departure-could-trigger-many-seahawks-staff-changes?module=HP_headlines

Personality wise he might just fit fine with Haley. Scheme difference is the main issue.

booger
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
JANUARY 18, 2011
Morris calls Bucs 'great situation,' after club picked up 2-year option

Bucs coach Raheem Morris said continuity should help the Bucs progress after the team picked up his two-year option worth $2-million per season.

Offensve coordinator Greg Olson and Morris, who doubles as the defensive coordinator, will return in 2011. Not back will be special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, who left after nine seasons to take a similar job with the San Diego Chargers. The Bucs also picked up the one-year option on Dominik.

"This is awesome,'' Morris said. "We've got a great situation, with (Josh) Freeman and being able to keep most of the staff together. It's all great.

"All our coordinators are intact, besides Rich, but we have two guys (in Dwayne Stukes and Byron Storer) who will hopefully do what he does and keep the same communication and the same language. It should be a good off-season, we should be able to go in and do a lot of situational football. That's always a key to me. You can simulate some of the things that are going on in these playoffs if you have OTA days and the start of training camp. A lot of people start at ground zero every year, but it will be nice for us to get in there and start with situational football.

"To have all those guys going the same direction, all be young and all be hungry, that's a great feeling. I know Mark is comfortable with everything is as well.''

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/morris-calls-bucs-great-situation-after-club-picked-2-year-option-0

maybe this will stop the Olson speculation to KC

Detoxing
01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
As each day passes, it's really starting to feel like Haley will be calling the plays in 2011.

I don't question his ability as a playcaller, but he was a much better HC when he wasn't focused on calling plays.

Count Alex's Losses
01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
As each day passes, it's really starting to feel like Haley will be calling the plays in 2011.

And when the Chiefs regress, people will be blaming Haley for it, instead of focusing on the lack of talent on the team, which will be the real reason.

Detoxing
01-18-2011, 03:56 PM
And when the Chiefs regress, people will be blaming Haley for it, instead of focusing on the lack of talent on the team, which will be the real reason.

That would depend on how much talent they actually acquire this offseason.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM

The 2005, 2006 and 2007 draft are far more responsible for the lack of talent on this team than Scott Pioli.

There are 5 draft picks from those drafts still on this team. 5 out of 23.

That's fucking awful.

booger
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM

I don't question his ability as a playcaller, but he was a much better HC when he wasn't focused on calling plays.

I agree. I liked what he brought to the whole team as far as his fiery nature and they fed off that. But if he gets a OC in name only or calls more plays than he did under Weis i don't think that automatically makes it 2009 again.

Guys like Frazier, Harbaugh, Rivera, etc all going into their first HC jobs (not Harbaugh obviously) Shurmur calling the plays for the browns too. It's just not that uncommon. If he feels that's the best for the team to win and he can handle it going into his 3rd year that's ok with me. I just hope he's right cause it's his ass on the line and i don't want to see him screw it up with the job he's done so far.

Don't get me wrong i'd have my doubts, but i would also have much more faith in it working with Romeo here and Haley having done it already(even with the mistakes)

dirk digler
01-18-2011, 04:04 PM

With Olson staying I think you are right unfortunately.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Just as long as he doesn't promote Maurice Carthon or Bill Muir, I'm fine.

DeezNutz
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
The 2005, 2006 and 2007 draft are far more responsible for the lack of talent on this team than Scott Pioli.

There are 5 draft picks from those drafts still on this team. 5 out of 23.

That's ****ing awful.

Overall depth, I agree, but hitting on every first-rounder is pretty fucking good. All three played at a Pro-Bowl level this season.

dirk digler
01-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Just as long as he doesn't promote Maurice Carthon or Bill Muir, I'm fine.

I'm not and I don't want either one of those either.

Hopefully we will hear some news since Olson is staying because I think they were waiting on what the Bucs were going to do.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Overall depth, I agree, but hitting on every first-rounder is pretty ****ing good. All three played at a Pro-Bowl level this season.

I see it as a combination of both the talent of the players and the coaching they received here.

I have a lot of doubts Hali ever would have gotten to this level without the new regime. Likewise with Bowe.

Look at the teams left in the playoffs, no freaking way did they miss on as many picks as the Chiefs over that time period.

DeezNutz
01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
There's no question that coaching is hugely important, and these players and this season should make that crystal clear to every Chiefs fan.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm not and I don't want either one of those either.

Hopefully we will hear some news since Olson is staying because I think they were waiting on what the Bucs were going to do.

Olson's option was picked up weeks ago. I doubt they even considered him a candidate.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Agreed. It's a very disconcerting feeling, but all we can do is hope for the best.

booger
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Michigan-talking-to-Greg-Mattison.html

Baltimore DC looking to take the same job w/ Michigan. Why would he do such a thing? He's worked with and is Friends with Hoke the new Mich HC. But that's just not enough. He and Harbaugh must be at each other's throats. I bet the Baltimore Media is going to be all over this once they talk to sources at the crabshack where Mattison stuffs his face.

Hit the phones Jwit you tubby pig. You got the hookup with Hoke from his Ball State days. This is national news.

The Bad Guy
Agreed. It's a very disconcerting feeling, but all we can do is hope for the best.

100% agree.

The Bad Guy
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Michigan-talking-to-Greg-Mattison.html

Baltimore DC looking to take the same job w/ Michigan. Why would he do such a thing? He's worked with and is Friends with Hoke the new Mich HC. But that's just not enough. He and Harbaugh must be at each other's throats. I bet the Baltimore Media is going to be all over this once they talk to sources at the crabshack where Mattison stuffs his face.

Hit the phones Jwit you tubby pig. You got the hookup with Hoke from his Ball State days. This is national news.

Is Claynus going to write a message board article about this outrage?

booger
01-18-2011, 04:15 PM

If he doesn't think this is big news i don't know what is. Mattison's son is even on the ravens roster. Just brought up from the practice squad in the playoffs. For him to leave the team his son is on shows you how much Mattison and Harbaugh hate each others gutz.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2011, 04:17 PM
If he doesn't think this is big news i don't know what is. Mattison's son is even on the ravens roster. Just brought up from the practice squad in the playoffs. For him to leave the team his son is on shows you how much Mattison and Harbaugh hate each others gutz.

Can't be.

Todd Haley is the only asshole in the NFL.

dirk digler
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Olson's option was picked up weeks ago. I doubt they even considered him a candidate.

I didn't know that thanks.

booger
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Can't be.

Todd Haley is the only asshole in the NFL.

The new regime keeps things under tight wraps but controling Haley's ego isn't one of them

booger
01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Ravens defensive coordinator may pull a Charlie Weis
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
GregMattisonRavens

Though there’s no reason to believe that Ravens coach John Harbaugh and defensive coordinator Greg Mattison have the kind of strained relationship previously experienced by Chiefs coach Todd Haley and former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, the fact that Mattison is thinking about making a lateral move to a lower level of the sport continues a recent trend that NFL teams should regard as troubling.

Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun reports that Mattison is talking to new Michigan coach Brady Hoke about the possibility of becoming the defensive coordinator of the Wolverines.

Mattison reportedly has strong ties to Hoke. Both men worked for Jack Harbaugh at Western Michigan, and they worked at Michigan under Lloyd Carr.

John Harbaugh’s brother, Jim, was initially believed to be a candidate for the Michigan job.

With a work stoppage looming and coaching contracts calling for less money in the event of a lockout and NFL assistants seeing their pension benefits take a hit in recent years, college programs may become more attractive to some assistant coaches.

Per Hensley, defensive backs coach Chuck Pagano would likely be the top candidate to replace Mattison, if he leaves.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/18/ravens-defensive-coordinator-may-pull-a-charlie-weis/

Count Alex's Losses
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM

I'm ambivalent about the Haley-Weis separation.

I don't really blame anyone for it.

Red herring. We lost that playoff game because of talent issues.

booger
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
they must not have heard Harbaugh stripped Mattison of play calling in the second half against the steelers and let Chuck Pagano call the D.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm ambivalent about the Haley-Weis separation.

I don't really blame anyone for it.

Red herring. We lost that playoff game because of talent issues.

I think it jacked with the offensive chemistry/mojo somewhat, but a tough offense and it's football-throwing leader should be able to work through that and deliver.

booger
01-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I get the point that the Weis/Haley split is a legit news story and bigger news with their history.

I'm just saying the guy gets a bad wrap with the job he has done getting the team to buy in and play hard.

It's more of a complaint against the KC media, i mean come on. Take a look at these links:

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1647

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/23411/sound-off-todd-haley-2

If these aren't facepalms i don't know what are

booger
01-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Filed to ESPN: Bill Musgrave has agreed to become to next offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/27853796570824704

booger
01-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Darrell Bevell probably goes to Seattle

Rams Fan
01-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Darrell Bevell probably goes to Seattle

Either as OC or QB coach.

booger
01-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Either as OC or QB coach.

some articles seem to say Cable will have input on the new OC

booger
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Former Univ. of Miami OC and Steelers QB coach Mark Whipple has emerged as a candidate for the Cleveland Browns OC job.

Former Vikings OC Darrell Bevell is leading candidate to become Seahawks next OC. Bevell is the OC that Seattle wanted.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

booger
01-19-2011, 06:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6038824&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

John Clayton says the seahawks have offered Bevell the Job.

Assuming Cleveland goes with Mark Whipple or a guy like Jim Zorn that leaves KC as the only opening.

Frankie
01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
What brand of O does Jeremy Bates run. I have not watched the Seahawks but for their game with us and that one for me was on a choppy stream.

booger
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
west coast offense as a offensive quality control under Gruden at tampa while Bill Muir was there, which is the only tie to KC's current staff. WCO under Shanny at denver and Mike Heimerdinger at the jets and denver.

booger
01-20-2011, 03:32 PM
ESPN's John Clayton reporting that Darrell Bevell has been hired as the new offensive coordinator. #Seahawks

http://twitter.com/johnpboyle/statuses/28198575334756352

Jeff Davidson, Carolina's OC went to Minnesota as OL coach.

Former Carolina Panthers quarterbacks coach Rip Scherer has accepted the quarterbacks job at Colorado.

Daboll the browns OC went to the Phins.

Running out of system guys unless he talks with Dan Henning who retired from the phins. That wouldn't be to popular.

Wisconsin: The 49ers have requested permission to interview Wisconsin offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Paul Chryst.

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Never thought about looking at the College Level. Makes sense for Harbaugh, i don't know what schools Haley has close connections w/ coaches.

Could be waiting for one of the 4 playoff teams to hire one of their QB coaches for OC. Will probably promote within, call plays himself, and add a coach or two.

Frosty
01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Wisconsin: The 49ers have requested permission to interview Wisconsin offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Paul Chryst.

Former Oregon State coach. Maybe the 49ers will trade for DA. :)

Chryst was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Oregon State in 2003-04. The Beavers ranked 10th in total offense (463.0 ypg) and No. 6 nationally in passing yardage per game (328.1) in 2003. The 2003 Beavers became the first team in NCAA Division I history with a 4,000-yard passer, 1,500-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers. Among the Oregon State stars he coached were RB Ken Simonton, the school’s career rushing leader, QB Derek Anderson, who left as the Pac 10’s No. 2 career passing leader, and RB Steven Jackson, a 2004 first-round draft choice for the St. Louis Rams.

Not that anyone here cares. ;)

booger
01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Former Oregon State coach. Maybe the 49ers will trade for DA. :)

Not that anyone here cares. ;)

I think he has a pretty good job to leave in Wisconsin as far as running the offense w/o interfirence. He wouldn't have that under Harbaugh or Haley if Todd has an interest. So it depends on $$ and his own personal aspirations i guess. I wouldn't be against it.

Also another college name is Jeff Brohm who coached under Petrino and coached his brother Brian at L'Ville. Former NFL qb too. His brother is with the Bills as the Backup qb. I think Jeff is in Illinois as the QB coach there. Could be an option for QB coach for Haley.

They may give Muir a senior offensive assistant/consultant title like the colts did with Tom Moore. I just figured the guy has to be ready to retire(muir). I think they started to get ready for his diparture with Pat Perles moving in to the asst ol coach role and ready to step into the main OL coach role.

Parmalee is one who i don't know if he stays or goes since he came with Weis and could be attractive to College teams as a TE/Special teams coach which he did at ND. Depends on how good of a recruiter he is. If he leaves i would expect Richie Anderson to move to TE's and possibbly Sirianni to WR's since he has been involved with QB's and Todd may want him to coach WR's before a possible promotion to OC down the road in a couple years. Anderson could move to RB's if Carthon is the next OC. I'd rather not see that as i like Carthon in his current role.

I'm just interested in who they add. The end of the season presser Todd talked about really liking his current staff and from that I assume it's possible nobody would leave unless promoted somewhere else.

Jeremy Bates just got fired and that situation is new. I'm thinking he could be a good fit with Haley he would just have to learn the offense. Apparently Carroll didn't like him because he was fiery and Carroll laid back. That wouldn't be a problem with Todd.

Frosty
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I think he has a pretty good job to leave in Wisconsin as far as running the offense w/o interfirence. He wouldn't have that under Harbaugh or Haley if Todd has an interest.

Chryst was tied to the hip with Mike Riley for years. Coached with him in Canada, came to OS (both times) and went to the Chargers when Riley coached them.

Harbaugh and Riley are pretty tight (Harbaugh's son is a graduate assistant for the Beavers' football team), so I imagine Riley is recommending Chryst to Harbaugh.

Rams Fan
01-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Chryst was tied to the hip with Mike Riley for years. Coached with him in Canada, came to OS (both times) and went to the Chargers when Riley coached them.

Harbaugh and Riley are pretty tight (Harbaugh's son is a graduate assistant for the Beavers' football team), so I imagine Riley is recommending Chryst to Harbaugh.

I thought Greg Roman was hired as OC and Chryst was hired as QB Coach for the 49ers?

Frosty
01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I thought Greg Roman was hired as OC and Chryst was hired as QB Coach for the 49ers?

No idea. I was just playing Six Degrees of Separation with booger.

booger
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Makes plenty of sense then

booger
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Paul's brother Geep(what were their parents thinking) was the one who was hired as qb coach. Roman is more of a OL guru and it's probaly a matter of titles/structure. Hard to tell what his role would be.

Frosty
01-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Totally useless addendum:

I just remembered that Harbaugh was with the Chargers when Riley and Chryst coached there, so he would have first hand knowledge of Chryst.

The Bad Guy
01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Booger does a great job in this thread. Just outstanding.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Booger does a great job in this thread. Just outstanding.

Agreed.

Probably the thread I have been keeping up with the most...

quit slacking Booger.... :D

booger
01-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Haley taking time to make right choice
January, 20, 2011
Jan 20
5:25
PM ET

By Bill Williamson
I know many Kansas City Chiefs fans are anxious to see who will run the team’s offense now that Charlie Weis has departed for the same job at the University of Florida.

The Chiefs’ search has been very quiet in the 10 days since Weis officially left the team. There has been speculation, but there has been no official word on interviews. There was talk Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy could join Todd Haley’s staff, but he is staying in Denver. Among the other names that have been speculated about include in-house candidates Maurice Carthon and Nick Sirianni, Arizona assistant Mike Miller and Tampa Bay offensive coordinator Greg Olson, who is under contract and would be difficult to hire.

I expect Haley to make a decision sooner rather than later. I know he is studying candidates and is working to get the hire done.

Haley is looking to find the right fit. He fired Chan Gailey during training camp in 2009 and Weis lasted one year. Haley doesn’t want to look for another offensive coordinator next year, so he’ll looking for someone who’ll mesh with him and his staff well. Chemistry is key for this hire.

Haley is also looking for someone who can continue the nurturing of quarterback Matt Cassel. Cassel, who was named to the Pro Bowl on Thursday, made terrific strides in 2010. It has to continue in 2011 and the new offensive coordinator will clearly play a big role.

I think Haley is taking his time to ensure he gets this choice right. While Haley said last week that he wouldn’t rule out calling his own plays, I think Haley saw the benefits of his freedom in 2010 and it allowed him to be a better head coach opposed to in 2009 when he was the offensive coordinator after he fired Gailey.

Haley wants to find the right fit. It’s just taking time.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/23635/haley-taking-time-to-make-right-choice

booger
01-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Kurt Warner On Chiefs Coach Todd Haley Calling Plays

by Joel Thorman on Jan 20, 2011 4:59 PM CST in 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Season

Every day we hear plenty of stories about incoming and outgoing offensive coordinators around the league but we don't hear much news about the Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator position. The options for Todd Haley are to assign himself offensive coordinator or hire (or promote) someone else.

The thinking is that Haley will hire an offensive coordinator since we've heard him talk more than a few times about the difficulties of assuming both roles in the 2009 season. And so if he does hire an offensive coordinator, there's the question of who will be the play caller.

One of Haley's former players, Kurt Warner, joined Steven St. John and Nate Bukaty on 810 WHB's Border Patrol this morning and said he doesn't think Haley wants to be calling the plays.

Star-divide
"I'm sure he could handle it better now as he has a better feel and as he has better coaches around him to do a lot of the leg work [but] I'm not sure Todd wants to do that," Warner said. "I know he wants to have a hand in what they do offensively because that's his background and he feels very strongly about what he brings to the table.

"But I'm not sure he wants to be the guy calling plays. I think he would if he felt that was the best thing for the team. But you know it is a lot of responsibility to try to be a head coach, stay in the game and focus on all the things all week long and even in the midst of the game, it's tough to be able to do that and call plays at the same time."

The answer to Haley the play caller will come from what type of offensive coordinator he wants. Kent Babb of the KC Star suggested this week he wants a "soft coordinator" who would do the day-to-day while Haley took control of the big decisions, which could include calling plays.

I think what Warner says -- that Haley doesn't want to call plays -- is what would happen in an ideal world (like having Charlie Weis). But I can't think of anyone out there to whom Haley would give control of play calling. Hopefully we'll be getting an indication soon of which way he's leaning.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/1/20/1946871/kurt-warner-on-chiefs-coach-todd-haley-calling-plays

booger
01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Seahawks hire Darrell Bevell as offensive coordinator
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 20, 2011, 5:38 PM EST
Brett Favre, Darrell Bevell

Get ready for some annoying Brett Favre speculation, Seattle! Darrell Bevell is coming to town.

The Seahawks agreed to terms with Brett’s best buddy Bevell on a two-year contract, according to ESPN’s John Clayton. Bevell lands on his feet with another offensive coordinator job after a disastrous year running the 2010 Vikings attack.

The hire of Bevell shows how Seattle’s offensive coordinator search quickly shifted. Bevell was originally going to be interviewed for the quarterbacks coach job. Once Tom Cable came aboard to direct the Seattle running game and help pick the coordinator, Bevell made more sense. (Other offensive coordinator options also seemed to dry up.)

Since Cable appears to have more power here, it almost seems like Bevell is a “passing game” coordinator while Cable is a “running game” coordinator. Bevell brings a West Coast offense background, so the team won’t have to completely overhaul their passing attack.

Former coordinator Jeremy Bates reportedly wanted more of a big play attack, while it seems like Pete Carroll was looking for an offense built more around short timing throws.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/20/seahawks-hire-darrell-bevell/

Haley thinks alot of Muir and if Muir thinks Haley should interview Bates since Muir spent a couple of years on the same staff, he will probably interview him. Also he is west coast oriented but the bolded part would fit more of what Haley wants.

Also from all of the Bevell articles, it seems Bevell is a calm guy, never swears, met his wife on a morman mission. Carroll's laid back didn't fit with that. Haley damn near requires his coaches to be screamers.

Bates/Haley just might work afterall.

DeezNutz
01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
As long as it's not Maurice Carthon or Haley himself, I'll probably be pretty optimistic about the hire.

Mr. Laz
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM
seems to me that the longer it takes the more likely it's going to be Haley or some scrub that is just going to do that paper work for Haley.

The Bad Guy
01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
I'd be completely all for Jeremy Bates.

mlyonsd
01-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Clark/Pioli/Haley are going to pick some obscure person that the planet will meltdown about.

Nailed it.

The Bad Guy
01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Booger, where did Muir say he thinks highly of Bates?

booger
01-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Booger, where did Muir say he thinks highly of Bates?

Didn't mean to say that if i did, just saying Haley thinks highly of Muir. Bates job during he and Muir's TB days was O asst/quality control and assistant QB's. Just a guess since he just got fired that Haley would ask Muir.

Frankie
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Will probably promote within, call plays himself, and add a coach or two.

That scares me. I can understand him calling SOME plays, but as a 100% play-caller while also the HC the history is not great. I hope 09 has not left a chip on his shoulder and a point to prove.

Frankie
01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Former coordinator Jeremy Bates reportedly wanted more of a big play attack, while it seems like Pete Carroll was looking for an offense built more around short timing throws.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/20/seahawks-hire-darrell-bevell/

Haley thinks alot of Muir and if Muir thinks Haley should interview Bates since Muir spent a couple of years on the same staff, he will probably interview him. Also he is west coast oriented but the bolded part would fit more of what Haley wants.

Also from all of the Bevell articles, it seems Bevell is a calm guy, never swears, met his wife on a morman mission. Carroll's laid back didn't fit with that. Haley damn near requires his coaches to be screamers.

Bates/Haley just might work afterall.

Interesting. :hmmm:

KurtCobain
01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm on the Bates bandwagon. Get this guy.

Micjones
01-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Jeremy Bates would be a good hire.

BossChief
01-21-2011, 12:25 AM
I am liking what Ive read of this Bates fellow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bates_%28American_football%29

[edit] Tampa Bay

Bates began his coaching career with Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an offensive quality control coach from 2002–03; the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII in 2002. In 2004 he was promoted to assistant quarterbacks coach for the Buccaneers, working closely with Head Coach Jon Gruden and Quarterbacks Coach John Shoop.
[edit] New York Jets

He was the New York Jets' quarterbacks coach in 2005; due to a series of injuries the team fielded five different quarterbacks that season, notably Brooks Bollinger.[1]
[edit] Denver Broncos

He joined the Denver Broncos in 2006; in his first season he served as an offensive assistant, helping Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison coach the offensive line. In 2007 he served as wide receivers/quarterbacks coach, and in 2008 as quarterbacks coach, both seasons working closely with quarterback Jay Cutler. In 2008, Bates called the offensive plays for the Denver Broncos, helping Cutler become a Pro Bowl selection and the Broncos to have the NFL's second-most productive offense (1st in the AFC).[2]

At the end of the 2008 NFL regular season, longtime head coach Mike Shanahan was fired and replaced by Josh McDaniels; due to the uncertainty, Bates began looking for a new position.[3]
[edit] Southern California

On January 19, 2009, USC Trojans' head coach Pete Carroll hired Bates to replace outgoing coach Carl Smith, who had only taken the quarterbacks job two weeks earlier before moving back to the NFL; Smith had replaced Steve Sarkisian, who had taken the head coaching position of the Washington Huskies after serving as both quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator; John Morton had been promoted to offensive coordinator. Bates calls plays from the field while Morton works from the coaches' booth in the press box, similar to a previous arrangement run by the Trojans during the 2005-2006 seasons between Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin, respectively.[3]
[edit] Seattle Seahawks

On January 12, 2010, former USC Trojans' head coach Pete Carroll was introduced as the head coach and executive vice-president of the Seattle Seahawks. It was reported shortly after that Bates would join Carroll's staff as offensive coordinator. [4] Bates was fired on January 18, 2011. A difference in "philosophy" was stated as being the reason behind the move.

seems he could be a guy that could help Cassel continue to develop and thats what would help this team the most.

Im "down"

Rams Fan
01-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I read at Seahawks.net that the fans were pissed that Bates didn't use Carlson a whole lot...

Mr_Tomahawk
01-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Updates Booger?

booger
01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Schefter's take on Chiefs next OC

Anthony (New York City, NY): Any news on the OC for the Chiefs? The earlier the better as the progression of Cassel & the Chiefs' 2011 draft might be different until an OC is hired??!!

Adam Schefter: Anthony: No matter who the Chiefs hire as their OC, it still sounds like Todd Haley will call the plays. I've gotten a lot of questions about the Chiefs OC, but it's really one of the more insignificant hires that will be made. The Chiefs offense will have Haley's imprint all over it.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/

booger
01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Browns Offense-TM- Browns Jan. 21 - 2:13 pm et

Eagles OL coach Juan Castillo is reportedly under consideration for the Browns' offensive coordinator job.
Castillo is regarded as one of the top line coaches in football, and is also interested in moving up the latter. He has history with new Browns coach Pat Shurmur dating back to Shurmur's days as the Eagles' QBs coach.
Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter
Related: Eagles
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2566

booger
01-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Buccaneers Offense-TM- Buccaneers Jan. 21 - 8:59 am et

Buccaneers fired offensive line coach Pete Mangurian.
Tampa wanted to go in a "different direction." It's an odd move, since the Bucs sported the league's eighth ranked rushing attack in 2010 and were in the bottom-10 in sacks allowed. A longtime NFL line coach and former offensive coordinator Mangurian should have little trouble finding a new job this offseason.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&line=199143&id=244
This guy was with the Pats. Former Falcons OC 01-03

He should find another job soon. Don't know if there is a good fit in KC but with NE connections that doesn't hurt.

booger
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
There is multiple stories that Brad Childress had dinner in Cincy with Marvin Lewis last night. That would signal them letting go of their OC Bob Bratkowski and/or QB coach Ken Zampese.

The Bad Guy
01-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Bratkowski is fucking terrible. Hopefully there is no connection.

booger
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
We need a BRC update on Nick Caserio of the Pats and if he's heard any other names.

booger
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Bratkowski is ****ing terrible. Hopefully there is no connection.

Yeah. I was thinking Zampese as a OC candidate but Haley could/would have interviewed him by now.

booger
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
That Cleveland is looking at the Eagles OL coach for OC is good that they don't seem to be going after Jeremy Bates.

milkman
01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Browns Offense-TM- Browns Jan. 21 - 2:13 pm et

Eagles OL coach Juan Castillo is reportedly under consideration for the Browns' offensive coordinator job.
Castillo is regarded as one of the top line coaches in football, and is also interested in moving up the latter. He has history with new Browns coach Pat Shurmur dating back to Shurmur's days as the Eagles' QBs coach.
Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter
Related: Eagles
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2566

Latter?

bevischief
01-21-2011, 05:34 PM
We need a BRC update on Nick Caserio of the Pats and if he's heard any other names.

this.

BossChief
01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Tom Clements of GB
Matt Cavenaugh NYJ QB coach
Randy Fichtner Pittsburgh QB coach
Joe Lombardi NO QB coach
Jeremy Bates Formerly of Seattle

booger
01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Tom Clements of GB
Joe Lombardi NO QB coach

Fichtner and Tomlin both coached @ Memphis. IIRC there was some heat in Pittsburgh's OC Bruce Arians last year about him getting fired. I wonder if that's the case that Tomlin wants to promote Fichtner. Either one would make sense in KC.

Edit: Fichtner and Tomlin didn't coach at Memphis at the same time, i was wrong.

Edit 2: they did spend 2 years together at Arkansas State

booger
01-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Tough-minded and uncompromising, few coaches bring more drive or passion to their profession than Curtis Johnson, and the Saints have been rewarded with outstanding results from the wide receiver corps since his arrival in 2006. He came to New Orleans after forging a reputation for developing top-flight targets on the college level for over two decades, and his stature has only grown on the NFL level.

Over the last four seasons, Johnson has worked with both veteran and young wide receivers, with all benefitting from his guidance and high-energy teaching style. Among the players who have continued to improve under his watch through their own dedication and his tutelage are Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem and Lance Moore.

With Johnson’s tutoring, Colston has gone from being the fourth-to-last player selected in the 2006 NFL Draft to posting 285 receptions for 4,074 yards and 33 touchdowns, rocketing up the club’s career leader lists in all receiving categories. After recording only 22 catches from 2004-05, Henderson has averaged an NFL-high 20.4 yards per reception since 2006. Meachem has made marked improvement each season, culminating with a breakout 2009, where he led the club with ten touchdowns. Moore has gone from the practice squad in 2006 to being the Saints’ reception leader in 2008 with 79 catches for 928 yards and 10 touchdowns.

With a coaching style that is intense and detail-oriented, Johnson’s wideouts have combined for 87 touchdown grabs and 29 performances with over 100 yards receiving since 2006.

Entering the fifth year of his initial NFL assignment, few coaches at any level can match the wide receivers that Johnson has helped develop. The group of standouts under his direction while at University of Miami (Fla.) and his prior stop at San Diego State includes some of the top wide receivers over the last decade, including NFL first-round picks Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne and Yatil Green.

At Miami, Johnson was part of a staff that went to nine bowl games and won the 2001 National Championship. He polished the skills of at least one All-Big East performer each season from 1996-2005, including Johnson – the third overall pick by Houston in 2003 – and Moss, who became the Hurricanes’ all-time leader in receiving yardage before making the Pro Bowl for Washington. Wayne departed ranked first in school history in catches is a Pro Bowl performer for Indianapolis.

In his five-year stint at San Diego State (1989-93) Johnson landed some of the school’s biggest recruits, including 2000 NFL MVP and fellow New Orleans native Marshall Faulk as well as WR Darnay Scott, who completed his eight-year NFL career with 408 grabs and 37 TDs. Each year Johnson was with the Aztecs the school had an all-conference performer at wide receiver.

Johnson began his coaching career as a receivers coach at Lewiston (Idaho) High School in 1984, serving for three seasons before holding a similar position at the University of Idaho. He spent 1987 and 1988 at the school before becoming receivers coach at San Diego State. His next stop was at Southern Methodist in 1994 before becoming wide receivers coach in 1995 at the University of California.

Johnson attended the University of Idaho and graduated in Physical Education in 1985. Born in New Orleans and a graduate of St. Charles High School, Johnson and his wife, Angel, have six children, Janene, Kiejon, Curtis III, and Aaron, Angele and Justin.

PLAYING CAREER: Idaho, 1980-83.

COACHING CAREER: Lewiston (Idaho) High School, 1984-86;

Idaho, 1987-88; San Diego State, 1989-93; SMU, 1994; California, 1995; Miami (Fla.), 1996-2005; New Orleans Saints, 2006-.
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/coaches/curtis-johnson/172c89cf-af31-4f96-9cbf-82d8fdb3b73e

BossChief
01-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Buccaneers | Pat Morris hired
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:26:50 -0800

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have announced they have hired former Minnesota Vikings offensive line coach Pat Morris as their new offensive coordinator.

the guy that Haley said he was interested in (Olsen) may shake loose from TB...Id be on board with that as well...

KurtCobain
01-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Tom Clements of GB
Joe Lombardi NO QB coach

Joe Lombardi NO QB coach

milkman
01-22-2011, 09:31 PM

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have announced they have hired former Minnesota Vikings offensive line coach Pat Morris as their new offensive coordinator.

the guy that Haley said he was interested in (Olsen) may shake loose from TB...Id be on board with that as well...

That is an interesting development.

Rams Fan
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers did not take long to find their new offensive line coach.

The club announced today that Pat Morris has been hired to replace Pete Mangurian, who was fired earlier this week.

Morris spent the last five seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. He has worked with Bucs offensive coordinator Greg Olson in Detroit and San Francisco on staffs directed by Steve Mariucci.

Nine times in the last 14 years Morris has coached a line that has paved the way for one of the top-10 rushing games in the league. Lines coached by Morris have led the league in rushing on three occasions.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Buccaneers-hire-Pat-Morris-as-line-coach.html

BossChief
01-22-2011, 09:39 PM
damn, was it just a typo on kwwl?

If so, that sucks

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1Bnjdj5Su

booger
01-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Buccaneers Offense-TM- Buccaneers Jan. 21 - 8:59 am et

Buccaneers fired offensive line coach Pete Mangurian.
Tampa wanted to go in a "different direction." It's an odd move, since the Bucs sported the league's eighth ranked rushing attack in 2010 and were in the bottom-10 in sacks allowed. A longtime NFL line coach and former offensive coordinator Mangurian should have little trouble finding a new job this offseason.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&line=199143&id=244
This guy was with the Pats. Former Falcons OC 01-03

He should find another job soon. Don't know if there is a good fit in KC but with NE connections that doesn't hurt.

zone blocking scheme coach. Could be a candidate to replace Muir if he retires. Pioli connections but none to Haley that i can see. The NE locals on the board could explain it better but i believe Belichic allowed him to leave to TB and Sp. Teams coach Brad Seeley to Cleveland when Pioli and McDaniels left after the 08 season.

MahiMike
01-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Schefter's take on Chiefs next OC

Anthony (New York City, NY): Any news on the OC for the Chiefs? The earlier the better as the progression of Cassel & the Chiefs' 2011 draft might be different until an OC is hired??!!

Adam Schefter: Anthony: No matter who the Chiefs hire as their OC, it still sounds like Todd Haley will call the plays. I've gotten a lot of questions about the Chiefs OC, but it's really one of the more insignificant hires that will be made. The Chiefs offense will have Haley's imprint all over it.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/

Whew! That's a relief.

booger
01-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Whew! That's a relief.

they sure are air tight on this. like a dolphins butt.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-22-2011, 10:13 PM
So, are we getting anything done on our Tampa lead?

DTLB58
01-23-2011, 02:09 AM

Link? The Bucs web site says Morris was hired to be the Oline coach and still lists Olsen as the Coordinator.

http://www.buccaneers.com/team-and-stats/coaches.html

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Bucs-Pick-Morris-to-Lead-O-Line/74f58ef2-2e0d-4fc8-ae17-495f7dbb0236

milkman
01-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Link? The Bucs web site says Morris was hired to be the Oline coach and still lists Olsen as the Coordinator.

http://www.buccaneers.com/team-and-stats/coaches.html

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Bucs-Pick-Morris-to-Lead-O-Line/74f58ef2-2e0d-4fc8-ae17-495f7dbb0236

Keep up......

damn, was it just a typo on kwwl?

If so, that sucks

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1Bnjdj5Su

Cheater5
01-23-2011, 06:32 AM
You dudes have an amazing depth of knowledge, and/or research ability. Great thread for a layman like me. Just sayin...

Frankie
01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
You dudes have an amazing depth of knowledge, and/or research ability. Great thread for a layman like me. Just sayin...

Is layman the new term for n00b?

;)

Cheater5
01-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Is layman the new term for n00b?

;)

n00b, FNG, cherry, fish...:D

Count Alex's Losses
01-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Ripped from Arrowhead Pride.

"A couple of KC sources told one of the local talk radio stations Clark Hunt and Scott Pioli are having problems agreeing on the new candidate for HC. Pioli obviously wants Todd Haley because of their ties in the past. But Clark Hunt wants to bring in a HC who has ties to the Chiefs from the Marty Shottenheimer days. That the name being tossed out is Bruce Arians".

Now, that was just one of those wild, tossed out rumors during those days. But, perhaps there was merit. Beyond the old Chiefs connections, there are plenty of things to add to the strong case as Arians being our new OC.

1. He is a humbler version of Charlie Weis. That is, he has a lot of the same credentials, i.e., superbowl rings, ties to strong, winning programs that we would like to emulate (Steelers)

2. Dick Haley, father of Todd Haley, has strong ties to the Steeler organization thru his days as a player and as Director of Player Personnel (yeah, he drafted some of the great ones). He, of course, now is a member of the Parcells familia in Miami. Ah, yet another sign the families are coming together.

3. Ken Whisenhunt was Offensive Coordinator for the Steelers during same time frame that Cowher brought in Arians as wide receivers coach. Arians would then take over as OC after Whisenhunt left. And actually, Arians was on Whisenhunt's list OC recruits when he went to Arizona, but Pittsburgh denied him permission and promoted Arians themselves. Whisenhunt and Haley are friends, so I would suspect conversations and suggestions happen.

4. Romeo Crennel. They weren't together at Cleveland, Arians came in the year Romeo left his first stint there, and Romeo came back two years after Arains left the Browns. The only connection they have is staring across the field at each other as each gameplanned for the other. But I get the feeling these two would have some good respect for each other, and probably get along fairly well.

3. Weis, was brought in not only because of his ties, but also for his skill with improving the quarterback play. Well, Arians has a bit of his own history there, and perhaps even better then Weis. Overall, Arians pedigree is actually better. He worked his way up through the ranks of coaching receivers, tight ends, running backs and quarterbacks. He was a quarterback in college, and although by todays standards his stats were not awesome, he was the team MVP his senior year (might note he rushed for more touchdowns then he threw).

Arians started out his coaching career in the college ranks, as wide receivers and running backs coach at Mississippi state in 1975. He then went on to Alabama to work with none other then Paul "Bear" Bryant as running backs coach. He had some tenure as college Head Coach at Temple before making his way into the NFL with none other then the Kansas City Chiefs as running backs coach. It was there that he and Bill Cowher became acquainted. Arians jumped back to college ball as OC at Mississippi State before coming back to the NFL as tight ends coach for the New Orleans Saints. Alabama brought him back as OC for a year before he got picked up by the Indianapolis Colts in 1998 as quarterbacks coach. He watched over the first two years of the play of a certain "little known quarterback". Arians left to be OC for the new Cleveland Browns. Cowher brought him to the Steelers where he is currently under contract until the end of the playoffs.

As to his relations with quarterbacks, and also to as the reason why Arians will not get another contract with the Steelers. Arians and Tomlin supposedly did not see eye to eye last year, and was even reported as being fired at one point. One rumor circulating at the time as to why Arians remained, was that Big Ben wanted him there. Even though Arians has stated that due to Ben's great relationship with his own father, their was not really a coach to player mentor type relationship, but the two played golf together often. And Arians did pretty well with the aforementioned Peyton Manning and credited with developing him in those early years. Not a bad thought for taking over for Weis in "fixing" the quarterback. A few folks have suggested Cassel needs to work on his play fakes, well take a book from Manning and Arians....a Sun Sentinel story out of Miami had these words...

As a Colts rookie, Manning worked with quarterbacks coach Bruce Arians, now the Steelers' offensive coordinator. They spent hours in the film room breaking down the intricacies of the play fake, particularly when it came to three of the best at the fundamental: Boomer Esiason, Dave Krieg and Steve DeBerg.

"Bruce and I really spent a lot of time," Manning says, "on trying to make the run and the pass look the exact same."

4. There is the theory out there that Haley is wanting a young gun to mentor, perhaps Nick Sirianni (who grew up being a Steelers fan by the way). Well, Sirianni needs much more experience to make that jump IMO. He needs a tutor to follow and learn the ropes of being an OC. Who better then Arians? An older coach, who has seen it all, can fill that young head with a ton of stories, facts and the legacy of coaching. And he could probably bring a few pointers to Haley as well.

I think Haley's and Arians' coaching methods and personalities would actually mesh pretty well. Although we are a strong running team, Haley's offenses have been known to like to pass the ball. So does Arians.

ODD FACT: Todd Haley was offered the wide receivers coaching position in 2004 by Cowher, but turned it down. Cowher then turned to Arians to take the job instead.

ODD Fact 2: In one of the better superbowls, Superbowl 43...what two Offensive Coordinators faced each other...Todd Haley and Bruce Arians.

UPDATE SINCE I FIRST PUBLISHED THIS: Bill Williamson over at ESPN is now reporting

"In addition to Denver’s open defensive coordinator job, the other key openings in the AFC West are offensive coordinator in Kansas City and defensive coordinator in Oakland. Kansas City coach Todd Haley continued the interview process for his opening Friday with an unknown candidate."

Now the bad part:

http://www.firebrucearians.com/

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Ripped from Arrowhead Pride.

Now the bad part:

http://www.firebrucearians.com/

Do we get Cribbs with that deal? Ugh.

The Bad Guy
01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Bruce Arians would be a great hire for the Chiefs.

A guy who's coordinated two of the last 3 SB winners with make-shift offensive lines?

Sign me up.

Deberg_1990
01-24-2011, 12:07 PM
The guy helped mold the Nigerian Nightmare and Barry Word!

Chiefnj2
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Why would Arians want to make a lateral move from Pitt to KC?

The Bad Guy
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Why would Arians want to make a lateral move from Pitt to KC?

Apparently him and Tomlin don't get along. Stop me if you've heard that before.

JASONSAUTO
01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Do we get Cribbs with that deal? Ugh.

Huh? Wtf does this mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

ILChief
01-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Apparently him and Tomlin don't get along. Stop me if you've heard that before.

Then tomlin must be impossible to work with

booger
01-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Then tomlin must be impossible to work with

word is he's as big a butthole as todd haley

KCUnited
01-24-2011, 02:23 PM
word is he's as big a butthole as todd haley

Looked like he took over play calling in the 2nd half yesterday.

booger
01-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Looked like he took over play calling in the 2nd half yesterday.

:D

booger
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
i don't have the link now, i think on rotoworld, that LeBeau's contract runs out after the SB. If that's the case with Arians and they have some reason to part ways that could lead to Tomlin promoting his qb coach Fitchner and leave Arians available for KC.

I don't know Arians contract situation for a fact, just a guess how things could go. I could wake up with 3 more testicles tommorrow, we just never know these things.

eazyb81
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Arians would obviously be a homerun hire.

But I have my doubts that the relationship with Tomlin is so terrible that ownership would allow Arians to walk for the same position on another team after the Steelers' run the last few years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Getting personnel from Pittsburgh would be awesome.

InChiefsHell
01-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Getting personnel from Pittsburgh would be awesome.

The Steeler-ification of the Chiefs?

the Talking Can
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Aggressive playcalling by Arians keyed Steelers victory
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 24, 2011, 9:05 AM EST
Ben Roethlisberger, Bryan Thomas, Sione Pouha

There will be no false alarms about Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians losing his job this year. The complaints about Arians not preferring “Steelers Football” are just a memory.

On the biggest play of the season, Arians called for an empty backfield with five wide receivers. CBS analyst Phil Simms wanted the Steelers to run the ball, milk the clock, and punt with under 1:20 to go. Instead, Arians smartly stayed aggressive.

“We weren’t going to play not to lose,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “That’s pretty funny isn’t it? A third-and-6 to win the game for a rookie from Central Michigan.”

The rookie was Antonio Brown, who caught a 14-yard pass to ice a trip to the Super Bowl.

“I always feel blessed to have my number called,” Brown said. “But Ben made the play.”
Many conservative coaches would have played it safer. Arians also called a pass on second-and-nine earlier in the drive that resulted in a first down to Heath Miller. The Steelers didn’t wait until third and long to put the ball in the hands of their best offensive player — Roethlisberger.
“Steelers Football” is no longer three yards and a cloud of dust. It’s about being aggressive on both sides of the ball.
Steelers fans should be happy they have a coordinator with the guts to play to win and go with five wide receivers on the biggest snap of the season.

just fyi (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/24/arians-aggressive-playcalling-keyed-steelers-victory/)

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-24-2011, 02:44 PM
The Steeler-ification of the Chiefs?

(Holds out hand in a demanding, Colbert-style)

"Yes, please".

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Haley not likely to have dual title for Chiefs
3 hours ago by FOXSports
MOBILE, Ala. — The Kansas City Chiefs still don't have an offensive coordinator or a definitive plan on who will be calling the plays in 2011.

But this much we do know: Chiefs head coach Todd Haley won't be carrying a dual title now that former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis has left for the University of Florida.

"The odds of that happening are very limited," Haley told me and co-host Jim Miller on Tuesday in an interview for Sirius NFL Radio at the Senior Bowl. "I've been doing a lot of work on that since the season ended and feel good about the direction we're going. I'm not ready to disclose any of that, but we're at a different place than we were at in Year One when I had to make some tough changes coming out of training camp that really put us in a difficult spot."

In his first year as Chiefs head coach in 2009, Haley removed Chan Gailey from the offensive coordinator position during the preseason and handled the role himself. The Chiefs then hired Weis, a three-time Super Bowl winner on New England's offensive staff, as coordinator in 2010. Kansas City improved to 10-6 and won the AFC West.

The 2009 Chiefs struggled offensively with Haley in a dual role, but the circumstances were far different than now because of the roster turnover the team was undergoing under general manager Scott Pioli. Haley called the plays as Arizona's offensive coordinator in 2007. The Cardinals finished with a No. 4 league ranking and reached Super Bowl XLIII.

"We're in Year Three. The system is now in place for three years," Haley said. "It's going to be an easier transition any way you cut it. You're talking about apples and oranges where we are as a staff and system. We've got a great deal of the foundation laid now, so some of these things are a little easier to handle."

— Alex Marvez

http://nflbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/nflbuzz/haley_not_likely_to_have_dual_title_for_chiefs/4036817

Oz_Chief
01-26-2011, 06:28 AM
http://nflspinzone.com/2011/01/26/kansas-city-chiefs-should-hire-brad-childress-as-offensive-coordinator/

Kansas City Chiefs Should Hire Brad Childress as Offensive Coordinator

AUTHOR: Bob Cunningham

Childress could do wonders with the Chiefs' offense.

Now that Charlie Weis is the offensive coordinator at Florida, the Kansas City Chiefs need an offensive coordinator to fill his spot and head coach Todd Haley has said he will not hold dual titles. Brad Childress, once the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings and offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles before that, needs a job.

So I’m having a very tough time figuring out why exactly these two sides have not come together.

Childress has the same type of philosophy as Haley in that both seem committed to the run. Childress didn’t get to run the ball a lot when he was the OC in Philadelphia because he had pass-happy Andy Reid looking over his shoulder, but he pounded the ball with Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor in Minnesota.

Then, once Taylor jumped ship for Chicago, Childress drafted a running back — Toby Gerhart — in the second round. Unless you’re a guy who’s committed to the run, you’re not going to spend a second-round pick on a running back with a guy like Peterson already in your backfield.

In Kansas City, Childress would have Jamal Charles and Thomas Jones to work with. Any coach who likes running the ball would salivate at that backfield. Throw in a Matt Cassel — a guy with a lot of talent still learning to play quarterback — throwing to Dwayne Bowe behind a solid offensive line and a guy like Childress could have just as much if not more success with them than Weis did.

The only problem seems to be personality. More specifically, a personality clash in Childress and Haley. During his short tenure in Kansas City, Haley has shown himself to be a very territorial, insecure, and somewhat paranoid head coach. There are whispers that Weis left town because he was sick of dealing with Haley’s inflated ego, and that certainly won’t go over well with a head-strong guy like Childress.

Childress meshed well with the stoic Reid. He didn’t mesh well with a demonstrative quarterback like Brett Favre. It’s possible he and Haley would butt heads from day one all the way until the day Childress storms out like Weis.

Still, even having an offensive coordinator for a year would be beneficial. Childress could more than fill that need, and he’d likely come fairly cheap after not getting the interest he was likely expecting.

Now all the Chiefs need is for Haley to swallow his pride and stop trying to find an offensive coordinator who won’t challenge him in any way and instead hire a guy who can get the most out of the Chiefs’ offense.

Count Alex's Losses
01-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Who the fuck is Bob Cunningham, and why is he too dumb to realize Childress runs a WCO and will never come to KC?

NFL Spin Zone was created out of a need for a site that will talk the ins and outs of football with people who have played, and currently play, the game they’re covering.

There is over 25 years of football experience between Bob and Derek, and together they bring a unique perspective to the most pressing issues and breaking news around the NFL. They are football fans and players who got into writing, rather than journalists who were simply thrown into writing about football and forced to learn on the fly.

Oh, I see.

Well, Bob, for all your vaunted experience, you're still an ignoramus.

EDIT:

I have been playing football since I was six years old. I was a starter on the offensive line all the way through high school, earning All-Star honors in the county and section during my senior season in 2007.

After graduating from high school, I was accepted into Kutztown University, a Pennsylvania Division II state school. I was recruited to play football, but because of the recruiting coach leaving right before I arrived at the University and some other circumstances, I did not play for Kutztown and instead now play semi-pro football in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

HAHAHAHA. He's 21.

BOB CUNNINGHAM EVERYONE!

Chiefnj2
01-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Who the **** is Bob Cunningham, and why is he too dumb to realize Childress runs a WCO and will never come to KC?

Oh, I see.

EDIT:

HAHAHAHA. He's 21.

BOB CUNNINGHAM EVERYONE!

And yet he will always have more football experience than you.

The Bad Guy
01-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Who the **** is Bob Cunningham, and why is he too dumb to realize Childress runs a WCO and will never come to KC?

Oh, I see.

EDIT:

HAHAHAHA. He's 21.

BOB CUNNINGHAM EVERYONE!

Hilarious coming from you and the site you write for.

mlyonsd
01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
I just wish they'd hurry up and hire somebody so the planet can start bashing him.

BigRedChief
01-26-2011, 09:34 AM
For those who don't follow me on twitter....

Haley wanted to call his own plays and be both OC and head coach. Haley was told that under any circumstances would he would not be allowed to be the OC along with the head coach title. He needs to delegate the play calling. He can offer input to the game plan but he needs to focus on being the Head Coach, not play caller on game day. Supposely, came from Hunt and Pioli.
The Chiefs asked permission to talk to Pittsburg and the Jets about coached on their staff for the OC position. Supposely, Brian turned them down because he wanted fuill control and Haley said no.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Haley wanted to call his own plays and be both OC and head coach. Haley was told that under any circumstances would he would not be allowed to be the OC along with the head coach title. He needs to delegate the play calling. He can offer input to the game plan but he needs to focus on being the Head Coach, not play caller on game day. Supposely, came from Hunt and Pioli.
The Chiefs asked permission to talk to Pittsburg and the Jets about coached on their staff for the OC position. Supposely, Brian turned them down because he wanted fuill control and Haley said no.

What's your twitter account?

Thanks for the inside info; again.

Detoxing
01-26-2011, 10:20 AM
http://nflspinzone.com/2011/01/26/kansas-city-chiefs-should-hire-brad-childress-as-offensive-coordinator/

Kansas City Chiefs Should Hire Brad Childress as Offensive Coordinator

AUTHOR: Bob Cunningham

Childress could do wonders with the Chiefs' offense.

Now that Charlie Weis is the offensive coordinator at Florida, the Kansas City Chiefs need an offensive coordinator to fill his spot and head coach Todd Haley has said he will not hold dual titles. Brad Childress, once the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings and offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles before that, needs a job.

So I’m having a very tough time figuring out why exactly these two sides have not come together.

Childress has the same type of philosophy as Haley in that both seem committed to the run. Childress didn’t get to run the ball a lot when he was the OC in Philadelphia because he had pass-happy Andy Reid looking over his shoulder, but he pounded the ball with Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor in Minnesota.

Then, once Taylor jumped ship for Chicago, Childress drafted a running back — Toby Gerhart — in the second round. Unless you’re a guy who’s committed to the run, you’re not going to spend a second-round pick on a running back with a guy like Peterson already in your backfield.

In Kansas City, Childress would have Jamal Charles and Thomas Jones to work with. Any coach who likes running the ball would salivate at that backfield. Throw in a Matt Cassel — a guy with a lot of talent still learning to play quarterback — throwing to Dwayne Bowe behind a solid offensive line and a guy like Childress could have just as much if not more success with them than Weis did.

The only problem seems to be personality. More specifically, a personality clash in Childress and Haley. During his short tenure in Kansas City, Haley has shown himself to be a very territorial, insecure, and somewhat paranoid head coach. There are whispers that Weis left town because he was sick of dealing with Haley’s inflated ego, and that certainly won’t go over well with a head-strong guy like Childress.

Childress meshed well with the stoic Reid. He didn’t mesh well with a demonstrative quarterback like Brett Favre. It’s possible he and Haley would butt heads from day one all the way until the day Childress storms out like Weis.

Still, even having an offensive coordinator for a year would be beneficial. Childress could more than fill that need, and he’d likely come fairly cheap after not getting the interest he was likely expecting.

Now all the Chiefs need is for Haley to swallow his pride and stop trying to find an offensive coordinator who won’t challenge him in any way and instead hire a guy who can get the most out of the Chiefs’ offense.

Lol. This article is so full of fail.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-26-2011, 10:21 AM

This is funny as hell you sound like nick athan now lol he saying the same thing no one know's whats going on out in arrowhead but the chiefs.

Detoxing
01-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Sounds made up to me.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
This is funny as hell you sound like Nick "Assclown" Athan now lol he saying the same thing no one know's whats going on out in arrowhead but the chiefs.

BRC, doesn't need me to defend him, but for YEARS the guy has had inside info that is more accurate than any other source outside of professional reporters like Mort, King, Clayton.

The Bad Guy
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I checked out the Schottenheimer info with the guy who told me they hired Romeo and he just put LOL as the response. This isn't the same guy that was adament abotu Weis not taking the Florida job.

I'm assuming it's bogus, but BRC has people he trusts too.

bevischief
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
BRC, doesn't need me to defend him, but for YEARS the guy has had inside info that is more accurate than any other source outside of professional reporters like Mort, King, Clayton.

This.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM

If haley wants to call the plays he will go back and listen to when he was hired he has 100%power when it comes to coaching bud its on kcchiefs.com

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Any news on the OC for the Chiefs? The earlier the better as the progression of Cassel & the Chiefs' 2011 draft might be different until an OC is hired??!!

Adam Schefter
(2:46 PM)

Anthony: No matter who the Chiefs hire as their OC, it still sounds like Todd Haley will call the plays. I've gotten a lot of questions about the Chiefs OC, but it's really one of the more insignificant hires that will be made. The Chiefs offense will have Haley's imprint all over it.

I'll take adam's word over your's anyday sorry.

The Bad Guy
01-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Any news on the OC for the Chiefs? The earlier the better as the progression of Cassel & the Chiefs' 2011 draft might be different until an OC is hired??!!

Adam Schefter
(2:46 PM)

Anthony: No matter who the Chiefs hire as their OC, it still sounds like Todd Haley will call the plays. I've gotten a lot of questions about the Chiefs OC, but it's really one of the more insignificant hires that will be made. The Chiefs offense will have Haley's imprint all over it.

Haley said yesterday he's not calling the plays on game day. Are you still going to take Schefter's word over Haley's?

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Haley said yesterday he's not calling the plays on game day. Are you still going to take Schefter's word over Haley's?

Haley also said he known nothing of weis leaving a day before...

Dicky McElephant
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM

STFU

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Listen all dont you think it would of came out in the new york media if the chiefs ask to talk to Brian?????????? everything comes out in new york

Brock
01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Just because it hasn't been reported yet doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The Bad Guy
01-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Haley also said he known nothing of weis leaving a day before...

If you can't tell the difference between both, then you need your IQ checked.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Only the chiefs know whats going on out in arrowhead this isnt the herm days when everything leaked.

Brock
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
We have a guy here with a track record of good information. Please, just STFU.

Frosty
01-26-2011, 11:06 AM
We have a guy here with a track record of good information. Please, just STFU.

I thought he said recently that he lost his "never wrong" source and most of his stuff comes from media types e-mailing him now. :shrug: