PDA

View Full Version : Football Mora close to joining John Fox in Denver

T-post Tom
01-18-2011, 01:23 AM
Mora close to joining John Fox in Denver
Posted by Mike Florio

If the Eagles plan to make a play for Jim Mora as the franchise’s next defensive coordinator, they’d be wise to do so very soon.

Like now.

Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post reports that Mora is close to becoming the next defensive coordinator of the Broncos.

Mora served as head coach of the Seahawks in 2009, after two seasons as an assistant under Mike Holmgren. Before that, Mora spent three years as head coach of the Falcons.

Per the Post, Mora nearly became defensive coordinator of the Panthers under new Broncos coach John Fox in 2003, after Jack Del Rio was hired out of the position to become head coach of the Jaguars.

It would be Mora’s first stint in the AFC since he spent seven seasons with the Chargers, from 1985 through 1991.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/mora-could-be-joining-john-fox-in-denve/

|Zach|
01-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Holmes scores 4 TDs, sprains ankle

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=241024012

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Neither 12 years in the league nor nine trips to the Pro Bowl could prepare Willie Roaf for what he did, saw and felt on this history-making day.

Shredding what had been the NFL's leading defense against the run, Priest Holmes and Derrick Blaylock each scored four touchdowns rushing Sunday in a stunning 56-10 rout of Atlanta (5-2). The eight TDs on the ground set an NFL record.

Down 3-0 in the opening minutes, the Chiefs (2-4) roared back with a 35-0 blitz and totaled 271 yards rushing against an embarrassed defense that had led the league with an average yield of only 74.5 yards on the ground.

"To go out and break an NFL record against a 5-1 football team is just unbelievable," said Roaf, the Pro Bowl left tackle. "It's incredible. That's a good football team and they'll bounce back. This was a college-type football game today. I'm just glad I was a part of it."
Holmes scored on runs of 1, 2, 2 and 15 yards in the first half. He was stopped just a couple feet short of what would have been his fifth TD rushing for the Chiefs (2-4).

The man who set the NFL record last year with 27 touchdowns rushing then left with a mild ankle sprain.

But all Holmes' injury did was unleash backup Blaylock against the helpless Atlanta defense.

Blaylock, who had a 7-yard TD in the first half, immediately scored on a 1-yard run after Holmes was hurt. He added TD runs of 3 and 2 yards in a game that also saw the Chiefs record a team-record 36 first downs.

Much of the yardage was behind Roaf and left guard Brian Waters.

"They had, like, the No. 1 rushing defense," said Blaylock. "But once we started moving the ball on them we just kept moving the ball. We got in a rhythm. And eight touchdowns later, we've got the record."

Holmes totaled 139 yards on 22 carries and Blaylock had 90 on 19. Altogether, the Chiefs amassed 540 yards in handing the Falcons their second most lopsided loss.

"We didn't have an answer for anything they did," said Atlanta linebacker Keith Brooking. "There is no worse feeling as a linebacker than having the ball rammed down your throat. We were the No. 1 rushing defense and they hammered us."

Holmes' four TDs rushing in a half tied the NFL record and also broke the record for most in a game against the Falcons.

"I am honored to be a part of history," Atlanta coach Jim Mora said sarcastically. "We have done a tremendous job of stopping the run. So it just emphasized how well they played. Their O-line was doing such an excellent, tremendous job, it might not have mattered who was in there."

The Chiefs' historic day began, oddly enough, with Holmes losing a fumble on their first play from scrimmage.

"In a game like that, you just want to keep running the ball," said Waters. "For an offensive lineman, that's a lovely day. That's a dream."

The collapse of the defense, which had been given great credit for Atlanta's 5-1 start, was nearly complete. They came in with 20 sacks but hardly even got a hand on Trent Green, who had 269 yards passing on 20 completions.
"The red light started going off," said Atlanta tackle Ed Jasper. "They were literally the best running team we've played against. They took it to us."
It was Holmes' eighth game as a Chief with three or more touchdowns.

"I'm excited because it sets this offensive line apart from any offensive line in history," said Holmes. "They created lanes and seams and we did an excellent job as far as reading them."

Michael Vick's 32-yard run set up Jay Feely's 19-yard field goal on Atlanta's first possession, and then the Chiefs reeled off five straight touchdowns and stunned the visitors with a 35-3 halftime lead.

The same Atlanta defense that last week held San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson to 64 yards on 23 carries was gouged for 140 yards in the first half. Offensively, the Falcons converted only one of 11 third-down attempts.
"They just out-executed us," said Vick. "We couldn't get anything going."
Vick rushed for 62 yards on six carries, including 32 yards on his first drive, and was replaced in the fourth quarter by Matt Schaub.
The Falcons got their only touchdown when Allen Rossum returned a punt 75 yards in the third period.

Game notes
The Falcons' most lopsided loss was 59-0 to the Los Angeles Rams on Dec. 4, 1976. That was also the day they gave up seven TDs rushing. ... The Chiefs' 540 total yards are the seventh highest in team history. Their three points was the fewest allowed by the defense since a 31-3 win over Chicago last December.

T-post Tom
01-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Holmes scores 4 TDs, sprains ankle.

I think it was later discovered that Holmes had a tumor on his ankle.

bowener
01-18-2011, 02:07 AM
I think it was later discovered that Holmes had a tumor on his ankle.

Whoa.

Holy shit.

Cross decade thread humor.

Mind blown.

Hammock Parties
01-18-2011, 02:12 AM
Holy fuck, epic repost win from Zach. TO THE MANE!

Hammock Parties
01-18-2011, 02:22 AM
"He is a coach without a flaw," said Hugh Millen, Mora's college roommate and a radio personality at KJR. "He's going to be one of the greats in this industry. Twenty years from now, people are going to talk about him as one of the great, all-time coaches. Ever. Twenty-five years from now they'll be handing him a yellow blazer."

Mile High Mania
01-18-2011, 05:36 AM
I just wish they'd get it done already... I think either of the 2 in consideration would be fine.

Bane
01-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Yes please.Get this deal done and HURRY!!!!!

http://i51.tinypic.com/wqseol.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-18-2011, 07:09 AM
This would be a great addition. Denver will go from a cesspool to a pile of shit.

Bane
01-18-2011, 07:11 AM
This would be a great addition. Denver will go from a cesspool to a pile of shit.

Thank you McBowlen!:clap:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-3Iq3XQkAw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-3Iq3XQkAw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Kerberos
01-18-2011, 07:13 AM
BlowMo in with he is better than Romeo in 3....2....1.....

Bane
01-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Laurence Maroney arrested on weapons charges
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2011, 7:00 AM EST
Philip Wheeler, Laurence Maroney

The “days without an arrest” meter can now be reset to zero, for the first time in the 2011 offseason.

Broncos running back Laurence Maroney has been arrested on weapons charges in St. Louis, according to KMOV-TV.

A St. Louis native, Maroney was in a vehicle with three other men when the arrest occurred.

Maroney, a first-round pick of the Patriots in 2006, was traded to the Broncos in 2010. He appeared in four games, starting three and gaining only 74 yards on 36 carries, a 2.1 yards-per-carry average.

Perhaps he prefers running out of, yes, shotgun formation.

:clap::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::loser:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/18/laurence-maroney-arrested-on-weapons-charges/

Bane
01-18-2011, 08:38 AM
At least they will get to draft in the top 5 for years to come.

Mile High Mania
01-18-2011, 08:41 AM
It's interesting that according to you guys... every move they've made so far is doomed for failure. :) Speaking of... how is the OC search going for KC?

Mile High Mania
01-18-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm hoping that Fox can lure DeAngelo to Denver... put him and Moreno together and that's a nice rushing attack. Then, bring in someone like Boss or Scaife at TE (keeping the other WRs in tact) and I like the offense. Focus the rest of their efforts on defense...

Bane
01-18-2011, 09:10 AM
PLZ god keep Al Davis and Pat McBowlen alive and in the AFCW forever!!!!!!!

Brock
01-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Wow, I just assumed they were talking about hiring Mora the younger.

LOL

Mile High Mania
01-18-2011, 09:18 AM
PLZ god keep Al Davis and Pat McBowlen alive and in the AFCW forever!!!!!!!

I'm sure Chargers fans feel the same way... I mean, it's not like KC knows what to do once they get to the playoffs. I may not have heard this correct, but at the end of the KC/BAL game I think they said 6 straight playoff losses was a record. I may be mistaken, but I think that is what they said.

Mile High Mania
01-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Wow, I just assumed they were talking about hiring Mora the younger.

LOL

:facepalm:

Frosty
01-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm sure Chargers fans feel the same way... I mean, it's not like KC knows what to do once they get to the playoffs. I may not have heard this correct, but at the end of the KC/BAL game I think they said 6 straight playoff losses was a record. I may be mistaken, but I think that is what they said.

:facepalm:

Bane
01-18-2011, 09:28 AM

7 actually.HATER FAIL!
LAMO!! When twitter goes wrong.

WebGem
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
It's interesting that according to you guys... every move they've made so far is doomed for failure

It's true

Mile High Mania
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
7 actually.HATER FAIL!

Twitter? As I said... I may have misheard the comments at the end of the game... good to know you're on top of the number though.

ClevelandBronco
01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
BlowMo in with he is better than Romeo in 3....2....1.....

Speaking as someone who has paid attention to the Cleveland Browns, ROMEO SUCKS.

cabletech94
01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
7 actually.HATER FAIL!

hater fail.

complete awesomeness!!!!

:clap:

Kerberos
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Speaking as someone who has paid attention to the Cleveland Browns, ROMEO SUCKS.

I was unaware that he was the DC in Cleveland. I guess I should have PAID more Attention to Da'Suck that is Cleveland.