PDA

View Full Version : Life 25 years ago today where were you when this happened?

3rd&48ers
01-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Where were you when this happened? I was a laborer on a construction site sweeping a floor when I heard it on the radio

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ERUasv0HAYY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Jenson71
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Back then I was reading a repost someone tacked on a bulletin board in a hallway.

Donger
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
LMAO

Saulbadguy
01-28-2011, 12:46 PM
All I remember is getting in big, big trouble making a "teachers in space" joke about 7 years after the fact.

ReynardMuldrake
01-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Our first grade teacher told us about it in the hallway outside of class. At the time I didn't know exactly what a space shuttle was.

-King-
01-28-2011, 12:48 PM
A twinkle in my fathers eye.

RustShack
I was swimming around my fathers testicles.

Brock
I remember having a foreboding feeling before the launch.

rockymtnchief
01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
College art class nursing the worst hangover I've ever had. 25 years later, I still haven't topped it.

3rd&48ers
I remember having a foreboding feeling before the launch.

Is this true?

Brock
Is this true?

Yes, very. The feeling that something was about to happen.

3rd&48ers
01-28-2011, 12:51 PM

How old were you? I was 19

RustShack
01-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Did you shit?

Brock
01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
How old were you? I was 19

Bout the same.

Dayze
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Back then I was reading a repost someone tacked on a bulletin board in a hallway.

LMAO
Perfection.

Donger
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM

LMAO

Flachief58
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I was a senior in HS, they called an assembly in the gym where we all watched the aftermath. The next day the bad jokes started.....

Scaga
01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I was a senior in HS, they called an assembly in the gym where we all watched the aftermath. The next day the bad jokes started.....

Me too. Ours was the library instead of the gym.

Donger
01-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Bad jokes? That's revolting.

Jenson71
01-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Nothing can ruin the solemnity of an event like high school seniors.

Except chiefsplanet.

Dallas Chief
01-28-2011, 01:11 PM
I was in Ms. Helvey's 9th grade Chemistry class. Ms. Helvey lived with her "special friend" and liked to play softball and wear visors. She was one helluva cool teacher though and was devistated by this event. First time I ever saw a teacher cry that wasn't caused by the students...

Rooster
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
I was in Ms. Helvey's 9th grade Chemistry class. Ms. Helvey lived with her "special friend" and liked to play softball and wear visors. She was one helluva cool teacher though and was devistated by this event. First time I ever saw a teacher cry that wasn't caused by the students...

LMAOLMAO

Luke
01-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I was a carpenter working on the Quality Hill project. Where were you a laborer?

3rd&48ers
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I was a carpenter working on the Quality Hill project. Where were you a laborer?

Colfax NC building their new fire station

suzzer99
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
High School history class.

acesn8s
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
8th grade science class is where I 1st heard about it.

King_Chief_Fan
01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
I was in the middle of terminating an employee

bevischief
01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
5th grade.

Rain Man
01-28-2011, 02:21 PM
On that day I was in my last semester of getting an aerospace engineering degree with a goal of getting a job at NASA.

Where's that banging head smiley? I need a handful of them.

allen_kcCard
01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
I was in 3rd grade classroom. I remember our teacher was called out into the hall and came back in crying and then told us. I thought it was stupid that she was crying for some lady that she didn't even know, and wondered why everyone was so upset there was a teacher there that died when more awesome (IMO) people that were just doing their job instead of joy riding that died as well.

My wife is a teacher, so I keep that thought bottled up now or risk sleeping on the couch for a long time I expect. I still wonder why it was more tragic when a civilian was there, but I'm not quite a callous as I was then wondering what the big deal was that had everyone crying over it.

allen_kcCard
01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Holy crap...I don't recall ever watchig that footage. Her parents there and 3 mins in and it looks like they are just know realizing what happened, but her dad is still smiling. The load speaker guy was like a robot...."Obviously a major malfunction"

reschief
01-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Went into the bank. . .and it was empty, no tellers, etc. Thought to myself, "where is everyone?" Then one of the employees asked "have you heard?" and invited me into the employee breakroom beside the lobby. . .we just stood there watching the tv in disbelief. . .no mood to grab the $. . . but likely the best chance I ever had to rob a bank (not that I wanted to be caught on video & later stand before a federal judge, of course).

big nasty kcnut
01-28-2011, 02:59 PM
i was in third grade and didn't found out till my brother told me after school.

Bwana
01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Hawaii

Stinger
01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
High school English Class...

The next day the bad jokes started.....

Next day..... Try before leaving school that afternoon. I remember the first one I heard was "What color were Christa McAuliffe eyes? ...... Blue ..... One blew that way and one blew that way."

Predarat
01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=7389208&postcount=90

MoreLemonPledge
01-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I was probably shitting my pants.

I was 6 months old.

Guru
01-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Said this in the other thread but I'll say it again. I was in my high school science class watching it live.

InChiefsHell
01-28-2011, 03:31 PM
In 9th grade English class. They rolled a TV into the room and just turned it on. It was weird.

InChiefsHell
01-28-2011, 03:33 PM
High school English Class...

Next day..... Try before leaving school that afternoon. I remember the first one I heard was "What color were Christa McAuliffe eyes? ...... Blue ..... One blew that way and one blew that way."

End of the same day in Science class, one kid said "How do you know that Christa McAuliffe had dandruff? They found her head and shoulders on the beach". I honestly didn't laugh. It was not funny at all.

People really really suck sometimes.

Donger
01-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Said this in the other thread but I'll say it again. I was in my high school science class watching it live.

Technically, you didn't. It was delayed.

threebag02
01-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Freshman hallway on break. Went into the library to watch the news.

threebag02
01-28-2011, 03:45 PM
i was in third grade and didn't found out till my brother told me after school.

Did you make it back?

DaFace
01-28-2011, 03:53 PM
I was in preschool. Most likely blowing bubbles or throwing things.

Donger
01-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I was in preschool. Most likely blowing bubbles or throwing things.

So, not much has changed, Mr. Rep Zeroing Outter Man?

BigMeatballDave
01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
In my Sophomore English class @ Belton HS.

chefsos
01-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I was working, on the road, in sales. Came out of a store that morning to the car and the people on the radio were talking about something like, "The fate of the crew is unknown at this time". I thought there was a plane crash or ship sinking somewhere, because it was several minutes before they recapped what had happened.

Something I still remember is that it was a Tuesday morning and the sky was bright blue; not a cloud to be seen anywhere. Eerily similar to 9/11 many years later. Days like that always remind me of those two tragedies.

Iowanian
01-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I was in Jr High, just coming in off the bus from Bowling for Gym class...

It was a big deal at our school because a teacher was a finalist for that flight, and we had talked about it a lot leading up to the event.

LocoChiefsFan
01-28-2011, 04:33 PM
We were watching it live in my 7th grade science class.

2bikemike
01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I was in the Navy on board a ship. We were in port in San Diego. I remember all of us sitting around the Mess Deck watching the TV in stunned disbelief.

Bane
01-28-2011, 04:45 PM
I was sitting in class (5th grade I think) watching it on tv.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I was in pre-school. I'm not sure if that's the right video, but there's one that shows the crowd applauding and "oohing" as the shuttle exploded, because they thought it was a natural part of the rocket separation.

The focusing on McAuliffe's parents afterward is too voyeuristic for my tastes.

Rams Fan
01-28-2011, 04:53 PM

I can't imagine what would have been going through their minds. I would've been absolutely terrified.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I had an uncle who used to work at McDonnell Douglas from the mid 80's to early 90s. When I was about six he gave me a poster (from his work due to their subcontracting) with pictures of every individual from every manned space flight.

Needless to say, the Challenger Seven were the last ones on that poster. It always spooked me.

ROYC75
01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Watched it from the NAPA parts store on 8th & Kansas Ave. I was buying parts for our family car, the whole place stopped and watched it in disbelief.

REDHOTGTO
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
i was delivering pop to the state hospital and remember exactly the moment i was told about it, wierd feeling it was. so tragic, just like i will always remember where i was on 9/11

teedubya
01-28-2011, 05:38 PM
I remember being 12 years old and telling some of these jokes.

Q: Did you know that Christa McAuliffe was blue eyed?
A: One blew left and one blew right.

Q: What were Christa McAuliffe's last words?
A: "What's this button do?"

Q: What were Christa McAuliffe's last words to her husband?
A: "You feed the kids - I'll feed the fish."

Q: What was the Shuttle's last transmission?
A: "I said BUD LITE!"

Q: What does NASA stand for?
A1: Need Another Seven Astronauts
A2: Need Another Shuttle Also
A3: Chicken Kiev [Ed: Punchline to another joke.]

Q: Did you know why there was only one black crew member on Challenger?
A: They didn't know it was going to blow up.

Q: Did you know that NASA has a new space drink?
A: Ocean Spray - It was their second choice because they couldn't
get 7-UP.

Q: When the next shuttle launches into space, what will the senior
controller say?
A: "72, 73, 74 BOOM! - Just kidding guys!"

Q: What do Playtex tampon users and Christa McAuliffe have in common?
A: They both should have stayed on the pad.

Q: What does a sea lion, the space shuttle and Tylenol have in common?
A: They're all looking for a tight seal.

Q: How many people will fit in a Florida Volkswagen?
A: Four in the seats and seven in the ashtray.

Q: On future shuttle missions, why will one of the astronauts have to
be a naval officer?
A: So when they decide to use it as an experimental submarine, they'll
have a rated officer onboard.

Q: What do Christa McAuliffe and Donna Rice have in common.
A: They both went down on the challenger.

Q: Did you hear that they are sending up another teacher on the next
shuttle mission?
A: She's going to be a substitute.

Dallas Chief
01-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Watched it from the NAPA parts store on 8th & Kansas Ave. I was buying parts for our family car, the whole place stopped and watched it in disbelief.

Armourdale FTW! You drop in to Eaton's for a tenderloin sandwich while you were down there? My uncle used to own that old shop right around there that was simply called TOOLS.:D

Pioli Zombie
01-28-2011, 08:48 PM
The sick joke circulating around the Boston area, just a few days remember after the Patriots got destroyed by the Bears in the Super Bowl:
What's the difference betweem the Challenger and the Patriots? The Patriots made it past Miami.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2011, 08:53 PM
FWIW, they didn't actually die until the remnants of the shuttle, which survived the explosion, hit the water several hundred feet below.

Rams Fan
01-28-2011, 08:54 PM
FWIW, they didn't actually die until the remnants of the shuttle, which survived the explosion, hit the water several hundred feet below.

Weren't they unconscious before they hit the water several hundred feet below?

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-28-2011, 08:59 PM
In school. 9th grade.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Weren't they unconscious before they hit the water several hundred feet below?

It's possible, but multiple life support systems were manually activated.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Most likely they passed out during the descent due to hypoxia (lack of oxygen).

Pioli Zombie
01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
It's possible, but multiple life support systems were manually activated.
Thank you Mr Nightmare.

Pioli Zombie
01-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Say you lived along the coast and an airliner crashed into the sea. When all the debris started to wash up along the shore, if you were walking along the beach and you came upon a little pack of peanuts and you knew it was from that flight would you eat it?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Say you lived along the coast and an airliner crashed into the sea. When all the debris started to wash up along the shore, if you were walking along the beach and you came upon a little pack of peanuts and you knew it was from that flight would you eat it?

If I was near starvation I would. Otherwise, I'd keep it.

I remember Chuck Klosterman posed a couple of similar questions once in Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

3. Let us assume there are two boxes on a table. In one box, there is a relatively normal turtle; in the other, Adolf Hitler's skull. You have to select one of these items for your home. If you select the turtle, you can't give it away and you have to keep it alive for two years; if either of these parameters are not met, you will be fined $999 by the state. If you select Hitler's skull, you are required to display it in a semi-prominent location in your living room for the same amount of time, although you will be paid a stipend of $120 per month for doing so. Display of the skull must be apolitical.
Which option do you select?

I chose the skull.

keg in kc
01-28-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't remember it at all. I was 11, about to hit 12, so I would have been a 6th grader maybe (?). But I have almost no memory from those days.

Pioli Zombie
01-28-2011, 09:40 PM
If I was near starvation I would. Otherwise, I'd keep it.

I remember Chuck Klosterman posed a couple of similar questions once in Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

3. Let us assume there are two boxes on a table. In one box, there is a relatively normal turtle; in the other, Adolf Hitler's skull. You have to select one of these items for your home. If you select the turtle, you can't give it away and you have to keep it alive for two years; if either of these parameters are not met, you will be fined $999 by the state. If you select Hitler's skull, you are required to display it in a semi-prominent location in your living room for the same amount of time, although you will be paid a stipend of $120 per month for doing so. Display of the skull must be apolitical.
Which option do you select?

I chose the skull.
I would too. What do you get from the turtle other than aggravation? This way I get cash and I can throw things at Hitler. How cool is that?

bevischief
01-28-2011, 10:44 PM
5th grade.

DJay23
01-28-2011, 10:51 PM
I was in second grade. Home sick with the flu. I remember watching it on TV with my mom and dad who were both home that day for some reason. I remember that I didn't understand what had happened after it blew up, like that it had actually exploded and my parents casually changed the station like they were looking for something more interesting to watch.

JOhn
01-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Sitting in the break room at the fire station, watching it live with my driver.

Back then the shuttle launch's were a big thing and we tried not to miss them.

ExtremeChief
01-29-2011, 12:34 AM
I believe my sophomore year in Ag class.

Jenson71
01-29-2011, 07:01 AM
I chose the skull.

Hell yeah, I would love Hitler's skull in my living room for $120/month

Claynus
01-29-2011, 07:25 AM
In Scotland, sleeping and not giving a fuck about Americans.

"Bob" Dobbs
01-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Getting a haircut at the West Point barbershop.

Pioli Zombie
01-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Another joke circulating in Boston at the time. What did the Challenger mission and the Patriots in SB 20 have in common. Both were thrilling for the first 1:28.

Hog Farmer
01-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I was a volunteer at a local vets office where I was learning to pleasure sick animals.

58-4ever
01-29-2011, 08:55 AM
I was four. Soooo, I was on the playground in Orange County trying to get the little girls to touch my package.

Buck
01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
I was up really late last night reading about the US/Soviet/Russian Space Programs and I learned that 5% of all astronauts/cosmonauts who have been launched into space have died doing so.

That's shitty odds.

chiefzilla1501
01-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I was in pre-school. I'm not sure if that's the right video, but there's one that shows the crowd applauding and "oohing" as the shuttle exploded, because they thought it was a natural part of the rocket separation.

I was going to say the same thing. What kind of heartless bastard would regularly pan on the parents in that situation.

InChiefsHell
01-29-2011, 03:23 PM
I was going to say the same thing. What kind of heartless bastard would regularly pan on the parents in that situation.

I was wondering if it might have been a static camera and the footage was edited between all the camera angles...in other words, they were just being filmed and it was later that they edited it together to show the different shots, including the parents...
...that's what I'd like to believe anyway...

chiefzilla1501
01-29-2011, 04:37 PM
I was wondering if it might have been a static camera and the footage was edited between all the camera angles...in other words, they were just being filmed and it was later that they edited it together to show the different shots, including the parents...
...that's what I'd like to believe anyway...

Maybe so. Either way, somebody made a conscious decision to show footage of a family at their absolute worst. It drives me crazy. That stuff, 911 calls, aren't there certain things that should be completely private?

Chiefs Rool
01-29-2011, 06:32 PM
it didn't make an impact on me, I was only 5 or 6 years old and I don't remember it.