PDA

View Full Version : Football The NFLPA Ad that will air during the Superbowl

Rams Fan
01-29-2011, 06:29 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jl9BpUgYljQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

jspchief
01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
they misspelled "let us get paid"

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-29-2011, 07:03 PM
What a load of crap.

Stinger
If they want to play that bad just sign the offer from the owners....

ChiefsCountry
If they want to play that bad just sign the offer from the owners....

here is the winning answer.

Mr. Laz
01-29-2011, 07:05 PM
trying to take a page out of the MLBPA playbook

"big ol' meanie owners won't let's us play a game we love"

complete bullshit ... this is about money on both sides, the players are not victims.

i wonder if the general public will buy this shit like they did back in the big MLB strike

jspchief
01-29-2011, 07:07 PM
It seems to me this shouldn't that hard. Players agree to rookie pay scale, and acknowledge the money that frees up for vets is part of their increase. Owners put in stipulations that control the cost to the consumer, to indicate it's not simply about trying to bump their margin.

Allows the players to concede a portion of their cap demands, without allowing owners to pocket the money.

The Bad Guy
01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Mawae can fuck himself with his bullshit.

He has said how great of a contract the last one was, and now he wants even better. I think they should get paid, but they have to compromise with the owners.

Mr. Laz
01-29-2011, 07:12 PM
It seems to me this shouldn't that hard. Players agree to rookie pay scale, and acknowledge the money that frees up for vets is part of their increase. Owners put in stipulations that control the cost to the consumer, to indicate it's not simply about trying to bump their margin.

Allows the players to concede a portion of their cap demands, without allowing owners to pocket the money.and the owners give up on the 18 game season

Mr. Laz
01-29-2011, 07:13 PM
don't forget i think the players also want internet sales,parking and PSL's to be added into the salary cap number

DaFace
01-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Kind of a crappy commercial to be spending that kind of dough on, honestly.

C-Mac
01-29-2011, 07:21 PM

This.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-29-2011, 07:31 PM
And a crappy time as well, they aren't going to score too many points with fans by starting their propaganda during the biggest game of the year.

Rams Fan
01-29-2011, 07:32 PM
And a crappy time as well, they aren't going to score too many points with fans by starting their propaganda during the biggest game of the year.

When should they air it then? The Pro Bowl?

Brock
01-29-2011, 08:05 PM
and the owners give up on the 18 game season

The owners don't really want an 18 game season. They want to pay the players less, that's all.

BigMeatballDave
01-29-2011, 08:11 PM
trying to take a page out of the MLBPA playbook

"big ol' meanie owners won't let's us play a game we love"

complete bullshit ... this is about money on both sides, the players are not victims.

i wonder if the general public will buy this shit like they did back in the big MLB strikeThe fans are the real victims here. The owners DID opt out of the previous CBA, though.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-29-2011, 08:22 PM
When should they air it then? The Pro Bowl?
June.

Mr. Laz
01-29-2011, 08:28 PM
The owners don't really want an 18 game season. They want to pay the players less, that's all.could be, the 18 game season could be just a "loss leader" of sorts. The owners throw something out there just so they can give it up later.

Pawnmower
01-29-2011, 09:29 PM
What a load of crap.

this

WoodDraw
01-29-2011, 09:30 PM

Seconded. WTF was that?

This is what happens with unionized, collusioned sports leagues though. 'tis part of the game.

Chiefaholic
01-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Both parties have to compromise to be fair to players, owners, and more importantly the fans. Rookie salaries have to be reduced until they play to their potential. Veteran contracts are getting way the **** out of hand, and owners and fans are getting ****ed as a result. Make ticket prices affordable to people other than the wine and cheese crowd who SUCK as the 12th man. And take care of the veteran players who didn't make the outragous contracts we see today and can't afford health care.

soopamanluva
01-29-2011, 11:18 PM
The owners started this bs. If they didn't like the deal in 06, why sign off on it? They want to pocket that money, They ain't fooling anyone. I have no sympathy for the owners.... Not really any for the players either.

johnny961
01-30-2011, 12:53 AM
The owners started this bs. If they didn't like the deal in 06, why sign off on it? They want to pocket that money, They ain't fooling anyone. I have no sympathy for the owners.... Not really any for the players either.

I think that, truth to be known, a good number of football fans feel this way. It's hard to sympathize with a group of owners making tens of millions of dollars a year on a single franchise OR a group of players when the average player makes more in 1 or 2 years than the majority of us will make in an entire lifetime. Both sides need to realize that they have a good thing going and get a deal done.

HoneyBadger
01-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Nothing is stopping them from playing.... in Canada.

keg in kc
01-30-2011, 06:55 AM
They really won my sympathy with that.

Or not.

Spott
01-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Let 'em play because their lives would be hell if they had to get a real job.

Bearcat2005
01-30-2011, 07:05 AM
The owners don't really want an 18 game season. They want to pay the players less, that's all.

There probably will be an 18 game season. BTW if the NFLPA is trying to get me feeling sorry for them with this ad they are mistaken. It's quite comical that first, if they wanna play immediatly then they will sign the owner's offer. Secondly with such high unemployment right now, I dont see how this generates much support for the NFLPA, in fact I bet it might backfire IMO.

Bwana
01-30-2011, 07:24 AM
:facepalm:

Mr. Laz
01-30-2011, 09:12 AM
The owners started this bs. If they didn't like the deal in 06, why sign off on it?
and if they hadn't signed off on the deal in '06 then people would of bitched at them for being greedy assholes.

whatsmynameagain
01-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Do any of you people have jobs or know somebody that does? If so, then you realize corporations have been cutting jobs, not raising wages, and expecting more production out of the employees they don't fire.

NFL, wanting more games (more work) and not wanting to pay more to the players (employees). I pay to see players not owners. This will hurt owners more than players because the owners have way more to lose.

Raising ticket prices, parking prices, and concession prices have made these owners broke? Child please.....

Stanley Nickels
01-30-2011, 09:42 AM
And the owners, if forced into an agreements that concedes to the NFLPA's demands, will act as any business owners would: they'll continue to raise prices. And consumers will continue to buy higher-definition, better quality TVs, and attend less games. The NFL will react by requiring more revenue from broadcast channels, who in turn will charge more from their advertisers, who in turn will charge you more for their products. This may seem far fetched, but the simple idea of profit margins dictates that this WILL be the case. It's already this way in so many other areas. In a way, people who play a game for a living (and implicitly agree to the stress they put on their body) are saying that they want more money than the millions they're currently earning. They effectively are saying that a minimum wage over 10x the average American salary is not enough, and that star players should be owed 1,000x that average. I don't think one player creates 1,000x more GDP than an average American, but I could be wrong.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2011, 09:53 AM
And the owners, if forced into an agreements that concedes to the NFLPA's demands, will act as any business owners would: they'll continue to raise prices. And consumers will continue to buy higher-definition, better quality TVs, and attend less games. The NFL will react by requiring more revenue from broadcast channels, who in turn will charge more from their advertisers, who in turn will charge you more for their products. This may seem far fetched, but the simple idea of profit margins dictates that this WILL be the case. It's already this way in so many other areas. In a way, people who play a game for a living (and implicitly agree to the stress they put on their body) are saying that they want more money than the millions they're currently earning. They effectively are saying that a minimum wage over 10x the average American salary is not enough, and that star players should be owed 1,000x that average. I don't think one player creates 1,000x more GDP than an average American, but I could be wrong.
which is why the fans should hope for a big owner victory. It will, at least, delay another price increase to the NFL system.

notorious
01-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Fuck both sides.

They are probably milking this to make us even more grateful that they bless us with football.

In any other business this shit would bury a company. They have such a great product that they can charge us retarded prices and we politely say,"Yes, please, and can I have another?"

soopamanluva
01-30-2011, 10:17 AM
and if they hadn't signed off on the deal in '06 then people would of bitched at them for being greedy assholes.
Doesn't it look that way now? What's the difference? Should have continued with the agreement they had prior to the new one.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Do any of you people have jobs or know somebody that does? If so, then you realize corporations have been cutting jobs, not raising wages, and expecting more production out of the employees they don't fire.

NFL, wanting more games (more work) and not wanting to pay more to the players (employees). I pay to see players not owners. This will hurt owners more than players because the owners have way more to lose.

Raising ticket prices, parking prices, and concession prices have made these owners broke? Child please.....
whatisyourpointagain?

Brock
01-30-2011, 11:56 AM

You may not be aware that most NFL players aren't making millions of dollars. And the owners have nobody to blame but themselves for the salary structure of the NFL. If they didn't want to pay and overpay, they wouldn't do it. If Daniel Snyder wants to pay Albert Haynesworth too much money, what is Albert supposed to say? No sir, you keep your money, I play because I love the game?

jspchief
01-30-2011, 12:01 PM
One thing I do know, the owners have more of an interest in keeping football affordable to fans than the players do.

Personally, I'm hoping for owners taking a hard line and winning.

Fairplay
01-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I know i'm not stopping them from playing.

siberian khatru
01-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Allows the players to concede a portion of their cap demands, without allowing owners to pocket the money.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

RNR
01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
whatisyourpointagain?

Child please? he really typed that~

Old Dog
01-30-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't give a hoot if you want to blame the owners, the players, or who the heck ever.
Killing the golden goose isn't really a great idea and I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one that will forego spending a good amount of cash on everything from tickets, jerseys, etc if they do screw it up.

Buehler445
01-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Correct.

Hopefully they've learned the MLB lesson. If they kill this thing, it won't ever be the same again. They should stop making commercials, and start negotiating something so they can fucking work again.

KC Tattoo
01-30-2011, 12:50 PM
let them play
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOV2GcEYFDk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOV2GcEYFDk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Over-Head
01-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Ok, let em walk.
These bitchy millionairs sign HUGE contracts, LONG HUGE contracts, have a great season, see some kid drafted for the same coin get all pissy and "want mjore $$$"

Lock em out, offer em league min for 0-3 years exp, then double it every 3 yrs exp right on through.
These prima donnas who figure their life is worth $15,000.00 a second while "on the job" can descide if they want to play , if not, we draft new kids, make them the same offer or a bunch of FA vets from the CFL who will figure they died and won the lotto with what their used to calling salaries up here :evil:

Dont laugh!!!
Warren Moon, Doug Flutie and a host of other GREAT players were Canucks!!.

Brock
01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Warren Moon, Doug Flutie and a host of other GREAT players were Canucks!!.

Ha ha, Doug Flutie?

Stanley Nickels
01-30-2011, 03:01 PM
You may not be aware that most NFL players aren't making millions of dollars. And the owners have nobody to blame but themselves for the salary structure of the NFL. If they didn't want to pay and overpay, they wouldn't do it. If Daniel Snyder wants to pay Albert Haynesworth too much money, what is Albert supposed to say? No sir, you keep your money, I play because I love the game?

No, the fan should say, "I refuse to rebuy my season tickets because they've become too large an expenditure due to increased profit margins, higher paid players, and stadium renovation taxes, as well as concession hikes. I simply cannot afford it anymore". See how these contracts fare when that fan response becomes even more prevalent than it already is. The NFL--the FOs, players, and league-- are demanding more and more money for an entertainment product. I certainly believe everything has a value, and the NFL believes they still haven't reached the highest value they can earn per consumer. That said, when every party is pushing these prices higher, and owners now push prices on to the consumer, we're put in a very difficult situation.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Doesn't it look that way now? What's the difference? Should have continued with the agreement they had prior to the new one.
The players didn't want to continue with the same agreement, that was kinda the point.

Tagliabue was in his finally year and didn't want a work stoppage to be his parting so (apparently) he talked the owners into giving in a little bit more. Now they regret it.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2011, 03:05 PM
You may not be aware that most NFL players aren't making millions of dollars. And the owners have nobody to blame but themselves for the salary structure of the NFL. If they didn't want to pay and overpay, they wouldn't do it. If Daniel Snyder wants to pay Albert Haynesworth too much money, what is Albert supposed to say? No sir, you keep your money, I play because I love the game?so you subscribe to the old "voluntary salary cap" excuse.

fine ... until the Players association takes the owners to court for collusion because the high dollar players aren't getting any high dollar offers.

Unions should go the way of the dinosaur and the NFLPA isn't even a viable Union.

CrazyPhuD
01-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Lol now all the owners need to do is create a commercial that says 'stfu and get back to work'!

Brock
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
No, the fan should say, "I refuse to rebuy my season tickets because they've become too large an expenditure due to increased profit margins, higher paid players, and stadium renovation taxes, as well as concession hikes. I simply cannot afford it anymore". See how these contracts fare when that fan response becomes even more prevalent than it already is. The NFL--the FOs, players, and league-- are demanding more and more money for an entertainment product. I certainly believe everything has a value, and the NFL believes they still haven't reached the highest value they can earn per consumer. That said, when every party is pushing these prices higher, and owners now push prices on to the consumer, we're put in a very difficult situation.

Fans aren't doing that, though. Even with a lousy recession on, most NFL stadiums were full or close to it. TV ratings were at an all time high. There is no crisis.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-31-2011, 03:53 PM
ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk
NFL, union plan Saturday bargaining session: http://wp.me/p14QSB-seK

Brock
01-31-2011, 03:54 PM
so you subscribe to the old "voluntary salary cap" excuse.

fine ... until the Players association takes the owners to court for collusion because the high dollar players aren't getting any high dollar offers.

Unions should go the way of the dinosaur and the NFLPA isn't even a viable Union.

I don't know what you mean by voluntary salary cap. The owners do and always have decided what to pay players, and the salary cap has never kept any team from keeping any player they wanted to keep. There is no collusion if nobody is willing to overpay a player.

Unions may well go the way of the dinosaur in the future, and they won't come back again until they're needed, i.e. when the working man gets fucked enough and decides to do something about it.

gblowfish
01-31-2011, 04:09 PM
This is millionaires fighting with billionaires.
If the players are so broke, how can they afford to buy a commercial during the Super Bowl?

Maybe they should have done a commercial where Jack Del Rio beats the crap out of an aging Otis Taylor in front of Arrowhead Stadium. Now that would take everybody back to the last labor uprising.

Neither side deserves our support. They both suck.

BigMeatballDave
01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Here's a thought.

What happens if someone is under contract with Directv and there is no season next fall, thusly, no NFL Sunday ticket? Would a customer be able to opt out of their contract with Directv because of this?

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Here's a thought.

What happens if someone is under contract with Directv and there is no season next fall, thusly, no NFL Sunday ticket? Would a customer be able to opt out of their contract with Directv because of this?
I doubt it. Your contract would be for Directv's entire service package, not just NFLST.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
One thing I wish they would do is make every contract a 1 year deal.

DaFace
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
I doubt it. Your contract would be for Directv's entire service package, not just NFLST.

Yeah, I'd agree. However, I'd be willing to bet that they'd give you a bunch of discounts/free stuff if you called and bitched about it. DTV's really pretty good (comparatively) at giving customers reasonable retention discounts.

wazu
01-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Wow. I now kind of hope the NFLPA gets bent over. Was that the intent of the ad?

Rams Fan
01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
ESPN has an article up saying CBS said no to airing the commercial.