PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What to eat?

crispystl420
01-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I need something different to add to our menu at home. Anyone have any good ideas or suggestions?

Bwana
01-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Rocky Mountain Oyster Recipe

2 pounds calf testicles*
2 cups beer
2 eggs, beaten
1 cups all-purpose flour
cup yellow cornmea1
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Vegetable oil**
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

* Be sure to ask your butcher for calf testicles, not bull testicles. Calf testicles are the size of a walnut and are much more tender than the larger bull testicles.

** Use enough vegetable oil to fill your frying container halfway to the top (to allow for bubbling up and splattering) and to completely cover calf testicles while frying.

With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each testicle.

Remove the skin (you can remove the skin easily if the testicles are frozen, then peel while thawing). Slice each testicle into approximately 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick ovals. Place slices in a large pan or blow with enough beer to cover them; cover and let sit 2 hours.

In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Remove testicles from beer; drain and dredge thoroughly in the flour mixture. In a large, deep pot, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Deep fry 3 minutes or until golden brown (will rise to the surface when done). Drain on paper towels.

Serve warm with your favorite hot pepper sauce.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/oysters2.jpg

Rams Fan
01-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Pasta with frozen shrimp and broccoli.

crispystl420
01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Pasta with frozen shrimp and broccoli.

I do this but I make a cream sauce and go with chicken because the wife doesn't like shrimp.

Easy 6
01-30-2011, 02:39 PM
When i'm tired of my usual chicken or beef dishes, a nice marinated pork loin always hits the spot. Teriyaki, cajun, whatever.

Put some roasted new potatoes & maybe some fresh asparagus next to it, Mmmm.

Lonewolf Ed
01-30-2011, 02:57 PM
I am having a pork tenderloin tonight and it's great on a cold winter night. I put it an oven roasting pan, pour a bottle of Sam Adams black lager over it, then a generous amount of Worcestershire sauce. I pour molasses over the top so it's thinly covered, then sprinkle coarse black pepper over the entire thing and into the beer and Worcestershire sauce, too. Then I sprinkle some garlic powder, English mustard powder, ground thyme, sea salt, and a dash of cayenne pepper. I also sprinkle a little salt into the liquid surrounding the meat.

I clean and chop two sticks of celery and two carrots into 3 pieces each and put an even amount on each side of the pork in the liquid. A peeled garlic piece and about 1/4 of a sweet yellow onion sliced into several pieces goes in, too.

Cover the pan, put it in the oven at 325 for 30 minutes, then drop to 300 for one hour, 275 for 30 minutes, and 250 for at least another half hour.

I serve it with mashed potatoes and either spoon some of the sauce over the potatoes or make gravy from the sauce during the last half hour it is in the oven. A salad rounds it out nicely and be sure to spoon the sauce over the meat, too, served sliced as thick as you want it. As I mentioned, it's a great cold weather dinner and will make the kitchen smell so good.

Lonewolf Ed
01-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Hey, Bwana! Have you ever served mountain oysters stuffed with cream cheese to freak the person out who slices into one? :evil:

Easy 6
01-30-2011, 03:06 PM
I am having a pork tenderloin tonight and it's great on a cold winter night. I put it an oven roasting pan, pour a bottle of Sam Adams black lager over it, then a generous amount of Worcestershire sauce. I pour molasses over the top so it's thinly covered, then sprinkle coarse black pepper over the entire thing and into the beer and Worcestershire sauce, too. Then I sprinkle some garlic powder, English mustard powder, ground thyme, sea salt, and a dash of cayenne pepper. I also sprinkle a little salt into the liquid surrounding the meat.

I clean and chop two sticks of celery and two carrots into 3 pieces each and put an even amount on each side of the pork in the liquid. A peeled garlic piece and about 1/4 of a sweet yellow onion sliced into several pieces goes in, too.

Cover the pan, put it in the oven at 325 for 30 minutes, then drop to 300 for one hour, 275 for 30 minutes, and 250 for at least another half hour.

I serve it with mashed potatoes and either spoon some of the sauce over the potatoes or make gravy from the sauce during the last half hour it is in the oven. A salad rounds it out nicely and be sure to spoon the sauce over the meat, too, served sliced as thick as you want it. As I mentioned, it's a great cold weather dinner and will make the kitchen smell so good.

Sounds killer, Ed.

Bwana
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Hey, Bwana! Have you ever served mountain oysters stuffed with cream cheese to freak the person out who slices into one? :evil:

LMAO

No Ed, I haven't done that....YET.

bevischief
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
pussy.

Baconeater
01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Brown up some pork chops or pork steaks, and then simmer them in Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup for about an hour. Serve them with some mashed potatoes and a veggie. That's been a Bugeater family staple since my childhood.

Fire Me Boy!
01-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Risotto.

I made some homemade chicken stock yesterday and have some shrimp for the risotto.

Earthling
01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
And some of those brownies for desert that they were talking about in that other thread... ;)

LiveSteam
01-30-2011, 04:28 PM
http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Photography/Cattle-Branding-1/pdog2C/424334822_z6fPs-L.jpg
Prairie dog. Its whats for dinner

Lonewolf Ed
01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Most of what could be eaten off that prairie dog has been turned into a fine red mist!

Buehler445
01-30-2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.tyson.com/Consumer/Products/ViewImage.aspx?id=1950&w=170

Cook this.

Then dump this into a sauce pan
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlsR87Px-qpDb-P3NTs7CzyZ6BO9H1CFJ7rmskZv-Bpl590_mx9w&t=1

Refill the can with milk. Pour the milk in the saucepan. Cook until it almost boils. Don't boil it.

Refill the can with minute rice. Pour it in the hot soup and milk. shut off heat. Stir frequently.

Eat.

You're welcome.

crispystl420
01-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Yeah sounds good except the molasses part. I hate molasses lol

Rain Man
01-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Go to Bon Appetit's web site and check out the hazelnut-crusted chicken with raspberry sauce. I made it last weekend, and it's quite good. I also made the arugula salad with candied walnuts, caramelized onions, and goat cheese, which was top notch, the mashed potatoes and pears, which were very good, and the acorn squash stuffed with butternut squash, caramelized onions, currants, and spices. The squash was good but probably not worth the immense effort it took to make it.

Gadzooks
01-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Go to Bon Appetit's web site and check out the hazelnut-crusted chicken with raspberry sauce. I made it last weekend, and it's quite good. I also made the arugula salad with candied walnuts, caramelized onions, and goat cheese, which was top notch, the mashed potatoes and pears, which were very good, and the acorn squash stuffed with butternut squash, caramelized onions, currants, and spices. The squash was good but probably not worth the immense effort it took to make it.

I'm not a fan of mixing meat with fruit (i.e. duck a l'orange). Get a slow cooker, there are tons of recipies on the interwebs.
Also, fish tacos are cool but I don't beleive you'd have access to the ingredients.

crispystl420
01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm not a fan of mixing meat with fruit (i.e. duck a l'orange). Get a slow cooker, there are tons of recipies on the interwebs.
Also, fish tacos are cool but I don't beleive you'd have access to the ingredients.

Yeah I don't like my meat mixed with fruit either.

ReynardMuldrake
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I've been on a soup kick lately. Potato leek soup, Homemade minestrone, Chicken & wild rice soup, French onion soup, Vegetable barley soup, etc. It's the right time of year for it.

HonestChieffan
01-30-2011, 10:30 PM
http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Photography/Cattle-Branding-1/pdog2C/424334822_z6fPs-L.jpg
Prairie dog. Its whats for dinner

yessssssssssss with a 30 round mag

LiveSteam
01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
2-4 lbs of coyote meat
16 oz of apricot preserves
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 purple onion diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Throw it all in a crock pot and let it cook for 8 hours. YUMMY!!
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/skkkpictures/CoyoteHelper.jpg

LiveSteam
01-30-2011, 10:33 PM
yessssssssssss with a 30 round mag

17 HMR

Stewed Dog

Ingredients :

3 kg Dog meat, * see note
1 1/2 cup Vinegar
60 x Peppercorns, crushed
6 tbl Salt
12 x Cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup Cooking oil
6 cup Onion, sliced
3 cup Tomato sauce
10 cup Boiling water
6 cup Red pepper, cut into strips
6 piece bay leaf
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 cup Liver spread, ** see note
1 whl fresh pineapple, cut 1/2 inch thick

Method :

* 1. First, kill a medium sized dog, then burn off the fur over a hot fire.
* 2. Carefully remove the skin while still warm and set aside for later (may be used in other recpies)
* 3. Cut meat into 1" cubes. Marinade meat in mixture of vinegar, peppercorn, salt and garlic for 2 hours.
* 4. Fry meat in oil using a large wok over an open fire, then add onions and chopped pineapple and suate until tender.
* 5. Pour in tomato sauce and boiling water, add green peper, bay leaf and tobasco.
* 6. Cover and simmer over warm coals until meat is tender. Blend in liver spread and cook for additional 5-7 minutes.
* * you can substiture lamb for dog. The taste is similar, but not as pungent.
* ** smooth liver pate will do as well.
* Suggested Wine: San Miguel Beer
* Serving Ideas : Rice, naturally.

blaise
01-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Brown a pound of ground beef, and add diced onion. Season with salt, pepper, oregano or whatever spices you like.
Drain the fat and add a can of diced tomatoes.
Add a can of beef broth.
Add a cup of dried orzo pasta.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked.

I make this quite a bit. You can also add fresh spinach to it at the end and stir it in. It will basically wilt into the mixture, and you don't really taste it, but you're getting the spinach.

LiveSteam
01-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Brown a pound of ground beef, and add diced onion. Season with salt, pepper, oregano or whatever spices you like.
Drain the fat and add a can of diced tomatoes.
Add a can of beef broth.
Add a cup of dried orzo pasta.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked.

I make this quite a bit. You can also add fresh spinach to it at the end and stir it in. It will basically wilt into the mixture, and you don't really taste it, but you're getting the spinach.

Thats just noodle surprise

SQUIRREL STEW

1 squirrel - quartered
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
Rice
Gravy
Dove breast (optional)
Duck breast (optional)

Try cooking the squirrel in one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of cream of celery soup. Quarter the squirrels (3 to 4) mix the two soups (no water or milk) pour over the squirrel cook on medium heat till done (usually 4-6 hrs)

Note: if you have dove breast and or duck breast put that in also (last time i cooked it we scraped the pot) cook some rice and put the gravy on it.

=======
CROCK POT SQUIRREL RECIPE

7 or 8 squirrels
Flour
Cooking oil
Salt and pepper
1-medium onion
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2-cans creamy chicken mushroom soup
2-cups sour cream
2-cups water

Dress the squirrels and cut them into pieces. Salt and pepper them, then roll in flour. Heat some cooking oil in a large frying pan and brown the squirrels.Put the squirrel pieces into a crock pot. Add soup, water,onions,and mushrooms.Turn the crock pot to high for 1/2 hour. Then turn thee heat to low, add sour cream, and cook for at least 6 hours enjoy!!

Gonzo
01-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Let me just say, I am a culinary badass. I made some bay scallops, injected with cajun butter, sirloin steaks, crab-stuffed salmon with a wasabe glaze and boiled crawdads for dinner tonight.

Twas awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Extra Point
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah sounds good except the molasses part. I hate molasses lol

When the liquid is reduced, you can't taste the molasses. Look at the other ingredients. Under heat, it gives you a different flavor, altogether. (Just ask Dan Fouts!)

Just because your Mom or Dad got old-fashioned with oat meal, and gave you a Molasses O.D. (like both of mine did), doesn't mean you have to bag on it.

Lonewolf Ed
01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
When the liquid is reduced, you can't taste the molasses. Look at the other ingredients. Under heat, it gives you a different flavor, altogether. (Just ask Dan Fouts!)

Just because your Mom or Dad got old-fashioned with oat meal, and gave you a Molasses O.D. (like both of mine did), doesn't mean you have to bag on it.

Correct! It blends in with the other flavors nicely, and the best part is it keeps the pepper and other spices on the top to make a good savory crust on the pork tenderloin.

el borracho
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
http://whatthe****shouldimakefordinner.com/ (http://whatthef*ckshouldimakefordinner.com/)

edit: you must change the **** to a four letter word that begins with f and rhymes with duck.

Pioli Zombie
02-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Sarah Palin. My problem is deciding on what kind of glaze to spread over her. Butter based would be good. Any suggestions?

Phobia
02-01-2011, 06:28 AM
Butter based would be good. Any suggestions?
I suggest you learn the word "baste".

Pioli Zombie
02-01-2011, 06:33 AM
I suggest you learn the word "baste".
Mmmm mmmmm I want to baste her. Is that like Bible baste?

Chiefs=Good
02-01-2011, 08:05 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q7DizQ4J0Us" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

kindra68
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
(Last week)
Monday, German. (sauerbraten w/eggnoodles) Tuesday, Cajun. (Oyster po’boys) Wednesday, Greek. (skewers, stuffed grape leaves, stuffed eggplant) Thursday, Jamaican. (jerk burgers w/mango salsa) Friday Good ol’ American (fried chicken and mashed potatoes)

Saulbadguy
02-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Eat shit and die.
http://www.3drealms.com/duke-nukem-forever.jpg

Chest Rockwell
02-01-2011, 10:59 AM
For me there are two seasons of cooking, fall/winter is braising. I mainly do lamb (especially shanks and shoulders) and beef, but sometimes I'll do pork as well. Simple and versatile, if you do it with root veg you can more or less make it a stew for smaller cuts of meat by adding stock of your choice to bring the liquid amounts up to the right levels.

You can do it in just about any piece of cookware that can go stovetop to oven and has the appropriate depth. If you end up liking it and doing it more you'll want to get an enamled cast-iron french oven. Le Cruset is spendy, but worth it.

I always serve with crusty bread.

What I basically do is:

Season meat with salt & pepper, sear both sides in a bit of oil; remove.
Reduce heat to med-high and carmelize a mirepoix in the oil/fat.
Add wine (red for beef/lamb (just about anything works but I'm partial to Rhone varietals for lamb); something more appropriate (pinot noir, or white wine) for pork; couple cups to a bottle, depending on how much meat) and deglaze.
Reduce heat, return meat, add garlic cloves and a bouquet garni of whatever you have/like. If you're using dired, I'd throw them in for the last minute or so of sauteing the mirepoix.
Throw in root veg (rough cut to the size you prefer) of your choice.
Add a bit more wine if needed (and stock if you're stewing).
Bring to a low simmer, cover and let it go for 2.5 to 3 hours. Alternatively you can cover and pop it in the oven at 250-275 for about the same amount of time.

You can reduce the remaining liquid into a sauce if you want.

That's pretty much it. If I'm doing lamb, I like to add cinnamon sticks and grate in some nutmeg (in moderation, of course) and sweet potatoes for the root veg. If you're doing shanks don't forget dig out the marrow and spread it on the bread.

My other go to this time of year is simply roast chicken.

Season the cavity with salt and pepper, stuff with onion, garlic cloves orange and lemon wedges and whatever herbs you want. Rub it with butter, dump 1/4 cup or so of white wine in the roasting pan. Roast at 350 for 20 min/lb, baste with juices every 20-30 minutes.

LiveSteam
02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I need something different to add to our menu at home. Anyone have any good ideas or suggestions?

Snow.
Snow pies, Snow cones, Snow soup, & if you are a woman??? go have a snow man

Gracie Dean
02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Easy Bierocks

Get a package of frozen Rhodes Yeast Dinner rolls

spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray

lay 12-24 rolls out

Let them rise

Cook in skillet 1-2 lbs hamburger, add shredded cabbage or cole slaw mix, chopped Onions if you like them and a package of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

brown it all up, round out rolls to make a pocket. dip hamburger mixture in it close up the hole

on a greased cookie sheet lay them out with room to spread

and bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes till roll is brown.

wonderful

Inspector
02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Rocky Mountain Oyster Recipe

2 pounds calf testicles*
2 cups beer
2 eggs, beaten
1 cups all-purpose flour
cup yellow cornmea1
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Vegetable oil**
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

* Be sure to ask your butcher for calf testicles, not bull testicles. Calf testicles are the size of a walnut and are much more tender than the larger bull testicles.

** Use enough vegetable oil to fill your frying container halfway to the top (to allow for bubbling up and splattering) and to completely cover calf testicles while frying.

With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each testicle.

Remove the skin (you can remove the skin easily if the testicles are frozen, then peel while thawing). Slice each testicle into approximately 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick ovals. Place slices in a large pan or blow with enough beer to cover them; cover and let sit 2 hours.

In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Remove testicles from beer; drain and dredge thoroughly in the flour mixture. In a large, deep pot, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Deep fry 3 minutes or until golden brown (will rise to the surface when done). Drain on paper towels.

Serve warm with your favorite hot pepper sauce.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/oysters2.jpg

Oh wow, that's just nuts!

Pioli Zombie
02-01-2011, 01:32 PM
From the PZ masturbation chronicles. Chapter 4. "....as Palin is slowly turned on the spit, I gently apply the glaze all over her sweet,naked,body. I salivate at the feast I shall soon partake. I check the alarm. I have 20 more minutes to finish"

Extra Point
02-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Smoked pork loin over rice, cauliflower/broccoli/carrots trio, chocolate cake w/chocolate pecan icing.

bevischief
02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Beef that is whats for dinner. Go Google recipes...

Bwana
02-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh wow, that's just nuts!

It takes some balls to try it, but it really is good.

bevischief
02-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Meat, beans and tomatoes cooked for about 4-6 hours and whatever you want to add to it.

Boon
02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Posole.
Google it and give it a go.
Good soup!

Pioli Zombie
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I want some Cooter Parmagiana.