PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Tire Recommendations

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Looking for a good, standard performance 225/70/16 tire that will give decent tread life and won't break the bank.

Thoughts?

Simply Red
01-30-2011, 09:59 PM
seriously, go 'used' - find a used dealer, I recently found a set of pirelli tires 280$ - about 28-32% gone, but the disco. makes it worth it. Go w/ good brands and shop until you find a set at a used reseller. It's the only way to go. Additionally I'd recommend the pirelli for your basic needs. Quiet pimp ride. BTW, be sure you go 'Uniform' - obviously - w/ regards to matching - All four the same. I think you know that part, though ;)

Good luck!

Simply Red
01-30-2011, 10:01 PM
One other quickie, the install is lightning fast. @ least it was when I went.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2011, 10:05 PM
I had never thought of buying used tires. Seems almost like buying used underwear.

doomy3
01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
My Grandfather was a tire salesman for 40 years, and swears by used tires. They're the only things we put on our cars.

You should also check put www.tirerack.com for good new prices though.

Simply Red
01-30-2011, 10:09 PM
ROFL - that's awesome, and I certainly can understand that, but seriously, these lil' huts carry great tires, w/ tons of life. They discount the daylights out of them. They balance them too. You'll pay double - or you could cut-cost and only get somewhere around eighty percent 'wear life' -- If you go new - I'd really think Coopers would wear best/slowest and is a relatively inexpensive, yet quiet ride.

I don't think i'll ever buy new tires again, Atlanta is littered w/ tire resellers, and they guarantee their product. These guys get good quality tires, at least down here at the one I go to, does.

LiveSteam
01-30-2011, 10:10 PM
I had never thought of buying used tires. Seems almost like buying used underwear.

We have a place called U-Pull-It. In Omaha. Im sure you have something similar where you live.
You can find nice tires for work vehicles ect. For $25.00 a tire with rim. I will never buy new tires again for either of my work vehicles.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Fuck BF Goodrich. That's all I really have to say on the subject.

petegz28
01-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I'd go with rubber ones.

KevB
01-30-2011, 10:52 PM
I just bought 4 tires on TireRack.com and had them shipped to a shop here in KC. Bought 4 Michelins on a Thursday afternoon and they were delivered the following Monday morning (roughly $55 shipping). Very happy with the transaction.

Buehler445
01-30-2011, 10:57 PM

Nah man. In bigger areas it happens a lot. People buy new rims, the used, perfectly good tires won't fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
01-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Fuck BF Goodrich. That's all I really have to say on the subject.

Why do you say that?? I love my BFGoodrich tires and wouldn't put anything else on my truck.

Cars we stick with Michelin. And I can't say I'd ever buy used tires....just doesn't seem right.

Buehler445
01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Oh. And don't be afraid of generic. My tire man told me there are only like 3 tire companies and unless there is a specific feature or tread type you want, generics will be good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red
01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Why do you say that?? I love my BFGoodrich tires and wouldn't put anything else on my truck.

Cars we stick with Michelin. And I can't say I'd ever buy used tires....just doesn't seem right.

It's all in your head and tell it to stop.

googlegoogle
01-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Tomorrow morning these will be on your rims.

http://www.vulcanvulcap.com/images/NTDRA.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Any decent places for used tires in the Northland?

My wife went up there to visit her parents this weekend, and with the storm coming in and some tires that have used up their worthwhile lives, I'd like to see if she could find a place to get them on tomorrow, if possible.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Had a set of very expensive ones with only 15k miles on them start falling apart in the middle of BFE Wyoming when we were on vacation.

Pushead2
01-30-2011, 11:16 PM
I like Michelin

bigbucks24
01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Just put a set of Michelin Latitude Tours on my Ford Escape. They were a replacement for the same tires after 60,000 miles. There was still tread on the tires. Good tread wear, good traction and quiet ride (for an Escape).

KILLER_CLOWN
01-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I buy my tires from Tire Town, not sure if they have one up north but 2 locations out south here. I will only buy used, new tires seem to last about the same amount of time and cost at least double what i pay for used.

WV
01-30-2011, 11:51 PM
It's all in your head and tell it to stop.
Your probably right and under the right conditions it would be hard to argue with buying used.

Had a set of very expensive ones with only 15k miles on them start falling apart in the middle of BFE Wyoming when we were on vacation.

Sorry to hear that. I just replaced the original BFGoodrich Rugged trails on my 02 Tacoma with some All Terrains. I liked the rugged trails and they lasted 8 years and about 47k miles. I went a little more aggressive with the all terrains...I've had buddies swear by these for years and i love them so far.

WV
01-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Oh. And don't be afraid of generic. My tire man told me there are only like 3 tire companies and unless there is a specific feature or tread type you want, generics will be good.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm leary of generics after my parents bought a set of Toyo tires that were supposedly the exact same as another set of michelins, but they were garbage. Worst tires ever.

Pitt Gorilla
01-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Love Cooper tires.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2011, 12:32 AM
Tire Town doesn't seem to have any 225/70/16s. In fact, it looks like 225/55/16s are the closest they get.

I assume I couldn't put those on safely, right?

nstygma
01-31-2011, 01:08 AM
here are the two local places i've purchased used tires from, both are great no complaints. not northland though... little or no waiting at both
http://www.12streettire.net
http://www.mrtireskc.com/

Saccopoo
01-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Looking for a good, standard performance 225/70/16 tire that will give decent tread life and won't break the bank.

Thoughts?

These would be perfect for you Hamas. Just don't change them out until April 30th.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/the-tire-racks-tires-wheels-and-brakes-forum/79225d1138815930-falken-tires-crappy-falkens-17k-miles.jpg

Pray for snow.

ChiefButthurt
01-31-2011, 04:12 AM
Continental Extreme Contact DWS.....don't buy used tires. Buy used tires if you have a Yugo, any car better than that needs NEW tires. Check these out on Tire Rack.

DeezNutz
01-31-2011, 05:27 AM
Tires need replacing every 5-6 years, regardless of tread life (due to aging negatively affecting tire integrity). Check the age, which will follow the DOT: 3710 = made in the 37th week of 2010.

So be heads-up if buying used.

Buehler445
01-31-2011, 06:01 AM
Tire Town doesn't seem to have any 225/70/16s. In fact, it looks like 225/55/16s are the closest they get.

I'm no tire man, but I think the first number is the width and the second is the height. There would be a pretty big difference between 55 and 70 I think. Maybe enough to jack with your speedometer.

That's if I have my numbers right. I could be wrong.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-31-2011, 06:03 AM
First number is height and the second is aspect ratio. I don't have time to explain it any further at the moment.

KCUnited
01-31-2011, 06:13 AM
Used Tire City in the East Bottoms if you're in KC. Good tires, good price, plus they got the best commercial jingle, so what you gonna do? Use-Use-Ya-Used Tire City.

Bwana
01-31-2011, 06:30 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp

bevischief
01-31-2011, 06:32 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp

tirerack.

Bill Parcells
01-31-2011, 06:32 AM
LOL! I just bought tires on Friday!

BF Goodrich lasted me 50k miles with even tread wear. very good tires. mine are truck tires though, so pricey. $178 a pop. but Michelin would have cost $208 a pop.

vailpass
01-31-2011, 06:52 AM
Used tires? For god's sake why?

JASONSAUTO
01-31-2011, 06:56 AM

you could but i wouldnt.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Kumho

JASONSAUTO
Kumho

decent tire for the money

Stewie
I just put new Bridgestones on my car. They're quieter and do much better in snow than the Michelin's they replaced. They were running a promotion of buy 3 get the 4th free at the time. I'm not sure if that's still going on.

Radar Chief
01-31-2011, 07:08 AM

That’s about a 3” difference in diameter. Bad plan.

MIAdragon
01-31-2011, 07:13 AM
Used tires? For god's sake why?

made this mistake once, never again. I tried to balance those damn things 3 times and could never get them to stop vibrating my teeth out. You never know how old the tire is or really in what condition's they were used. Id rather buy some cheap no name tire before I went for a used brand name.

MIAdragon
01-31-2011, 07:15 AM
That’s about a 3” difference in diameter. Bad plan.

The reason its bad is because it will throw off your speedometer by quite a bit.

Radar Chief
01-31-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm no tire man, but I think the first number is the width and the second is the height. There would be a pretty big difference between 55 and 70 I think. Maybe enough to jack with your speedometer.

That's if I have my numbers right. I could be wrong.

The first number is the width of the tread in millimeters.
To convert to inches=X/25.4. 225/25.4=8.86” wide.
The second number is the aspect ratio and indicates the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width.
8.86*.70=6.202” tall. Multiply that by 2 and add the width of the wheel to get overall height. 6.202*2+16=28.404” tall for the 70 and 8.86*.55*2+16=25.746” tall for the 55.

Edit: this makes it easier.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Chiefnj2
01-31-2011, 07:22 AM
Never buy Firestone Destinations. Horrible tire. Wore out very quickly. Absolute crap in even light snow.

Simply Red
01-31-2011, 07:27 AM
look if you find a set of 'used' - from someone other than a non trustworthy 'grease-monkey' - you'll be fine, there are some non legit companies out there that would (maybe) STILL sell 'junk', it's sorta @ the purchaser's discretion, however, some of these guys buy from wrecks and people who've purchased non oem rims, other times - some of these buyers have just been lucky, buying tires to resell that aren't junk or weirdly worn.

Sure if you're spotting a tire 'here or there' by only buying 1-2 new/'used' tires - that's when you get in trouble. I've never had an issue w/ any from the tire shop i go to. NEVER

El Jefe
01-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Don't buy used tires, I'd rather buy an off brand new tire. Used tires can be a real pain, I had a set that I swear I couldn't balance no matter how many times I tried.

El Jefe
01-31-2011, 07:37 AM
made this mistake once, never again. I tried to balance those damn things 3 times and could never get them to stop vibrating my teeth out. You never know how old the tire is or really in what condition's they were used. Id rather buy some cheap no name tire before I went for a used brand name.

Yep, I should have read the thread, I posted a similar story that happened to me.

Simply Red
01-31-2011, 08:10 AM
'Hamas' is going 'used' - he already said so!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2z656o9.gif

trndobrd
01-31-2011, 08:17 AM
http://www.walmart.com/cp/Find-Tires-By-Size/91087

Dayze
01-31-2011, 08:50 AM
i put some uni-royal tires on my car about 2 years ago...

horrible.
never again.

I'll shell out the extra $ for good tires next time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Just woke up to a missed call.

"So, it's slick here, and I didn't want to go to Shawnee." (TireTown)
"Ok"
"So, I went to Wal-Mart instead. My Dad says they are cheaper than..."
:facepalm:

Mr. Kotter
01-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Reviews seem okay on these; they are new too...

about 60% of what I paid for my last set too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Firestone_Winterforce_UV_Tire&code=yes&tireModel=Winterforce+UV&GCID=C13674x012-tire&partnum=27SR5FWFUV

EDIT: Nevermind. Heh.

cardken
01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Sam's Club has got some crazy deals on name brand tires. And if you ask, and you have to ask, they will give you a coupon to have the tires mounted and balanced at a local WalMart Auto Center for free.

Silock
01-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Falken Zieks are pretty good for an all-weather performance tire.

HemiEd
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM

It is, especially with modern tires. With the older tires, tread wear was a good indicator whether the tire was any good or not.

Now, the carcass wears out prior to the tread. Mounting, balancing and getting rid of your old rubber is a big part of the pricing, no way would I consider a used set of tires.

Go to tirerack.com and plug your information in. They will give you all the best options with tire ratings. My tire dealer matches their pricing now.

penguinz
01-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Sam's Club has got some crazy deals on name brand tires. And if you ask, and you have to ask, they will give you a coupon to have the tires mounted and balanced at a local WalMart Auto Center for free.Do not buy tires from wal-mart. They may be the same in name but they are not the same quality. They are often cheaper beacuse what might be a 5-ply tire at all the other places may only be 3-ply at wal-mart.

HonestChieffan
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
I suggest one used and the other 3 each a different brand. This is a worthy cause. You will be the expert after you gauge wear, ride, and service from each and will forever be the TireGodMan of CP. Rise to the occasion and lead us all from the darkness of tire hell.

rageeumr
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
My truck came with Goodyear Wranglers on it and I got around 75K on the stock set. So even though they were ridiculously expensive, I bought some Wrangler Silent Armors and they have been fantastic. I've got about 55K on them and they look great.

WV
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Do not buy tires from wal-mart. They may be the same in name but they are not the same quality. They are often cheaper beacuse what might be a 5-ply tire at all the other places may only be 3-ply at wal-mart.

This isn't true at all. Look at the tires, they are the same make and model with the same warranty. I wouldn't get my oil changed there, but if you want a set of specific tires they are the same. Walmart has plenty of power in the market, but not enough to warrant tire companies screwing themselves by offering a lesser grade tire with the same name.

Extra Point
01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I buy all my tires from Goodyear, and buy the Road Hazard. Usually get one free tire out of the four, over the coarse of the warranty period. Free rotation, free balancing. Firestones aren't bad, either.

Just get a good, all weather tire, that's good on mileage.

Good luck, Mr. Know it All.

Deberg_1990
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Is there really that much difference between tire brands?

This is like asking 100 people: Which Cell Phone provider is the best?

Silock
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Is there really that much difference between tire brands?

This is like asking 100 people: Which Cell Phone provider is the best?

It depends on the characteristics you want in a tire.

I would buy certain brands for one thing, and avoid them for others.

Certain brands are better for longevity, some are better for traction and handling, and some are better for a mix of the two.

Oxford
01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
If you are looking for a private label........ I had good luck with the Cooper Discoverers that I put on my truck. I have purchased 2 sets of 4 from tire rack and can vouch for their service. Call around the local tire shops and see if they have some "take offs" from new vehicles. Sometimes there is a good deal to be had there.

Bwana
01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
On a side note, Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Dualers are my tire of choice for winter. These things grip, like no other. I have them on my truck, my Patherfinder and my car.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_blizzak_lm_18_ci2_l.jpg (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+LM-18)

HemiEd
01-31-2011, 02:07 PM
On a side note, Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Dualers are my tire of choice for winter. These things grip, like no other. I have them on my truck, my Patherfinder and my car.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_blizzak_lm_18_ci2_l.jpg (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+LM-18)

I agree Greg. I swear by my blizzaks, they are on the 3rd winter season on the Challenger. It is the next thing to 4wd.

I wouldn't want to run them in the summer though, they wouldn't last very long.

Bwana
01-31-2011, 02:17 PM
I agree Greg. I swear by my blizzaks, they are on the 3rd winter season on the Challenger. It is the next thing to 4wd.

I wouldn't want to run them in the summer though, they wouldn't last very long.

I agree and remove them in the summer as well. As far as winter driving, they kick ass!

Otter
01-31-2011, 02:24 PM

whoo, whoo, whoo...

Pathfinder? when did this happen?

Bwana
01-31-2011, 02:27 PM
whoo, whoo, whoo...

2010, company rig. After what your beast went through, I figured I couldn't go wrong! ;)

Otter
01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
2010, company rig. After what your beast went through, I figured I couldn't go wrong! ;)

:D

It's still running actually. The guy who bought it fixed up the front end and uses it on his farm from what I understand.

I think that truck is Rasputin reincarnate.

bigbucks24
01-31-2011, 02:32 PM
whoo, whoo, whoo...

I think it's a Patherfinder. It's kinda a knock-off.

Bwana
01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
:D

It's still running actually. The guy who bought it fixed up the front end and uses it on his farm from what I understand.

I think that truck is Rasputin reincarnate.

Joe, the thing will be around when you and I are taking a dirt nap. I'm convinced it will NEVER die.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Kumho
The wife's car has those, they suck in the snow.

This isn't true at all. Look at the tires, they are the same make and model with the same warranty. I wouldn't get my oil changed there, but if you want a set of specific tires they are the same. Walmart has plenty of power in the market, but not enough to warrant tire companies screwing themselves by offering a lesser grade tire with the same name.
I agree, I bought a set of Goodyears from WM when I bought my last van, I drove it for 4 years with no issues and they were still in great shape when I got rid of it.

Bwana
01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
The wife's car has those, they suck in the snow.

I agree, I bought a set of Goodyears from WM when I bought my last van, I drove it for 4 years with no issues and they were still in great shape when I got rid of it.

I had them on a rig several years ago and wasn't happy with the "cum hos" either.

tooge
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
i'd say get snow tires

Over-Head
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
As long as they aint "lou Gossett Jr's", .....bald and black, I just reach up and rotate the "instant snow tire" switch from 2H to 4H :D

penguinz
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
This isn't true at all. Look at the tires, they are the same make and model with the same warranty. I wouldn't get my oil changed there, but if you want a set of specific tires they are the same. Walmart has plenty of power in the market, but not enough to warrant tire companies screwing themselves by offering a lesser grade tire with the same name.Believe this if you want to. I know this is/was true with at least one model of Goodyear A/T tires.

dannybcaitlyn
01-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Look at discounttire.com also. They have pretty good deals.

Kerberos
01-31-2011, 03:23 PM
I put some Uniroyal Laredo All-Season AWP tires on the Suburban 4X4 that I found at Wal-Mart about as cheap as I could find tires for a LT application about 3 years ago. They had good tread life gaurantee and smooth ride with low noise along with LOW price. Everything I wanted in a tire.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Believe this if you want to. I know this is/was true with at least one model of Goodyear A/T tires.
Well it's a known fact that WM does do exactly what you're saying with other products they sell, so it's not far fetched to say they do it with tires as well. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are a ripoff, heck I paid more for a set of smaller no name tires from a local tire shop than I did with the Goodyears from WM.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I appreciate the advice, fellas, but I think I need a new axiom:

When presented with one of two equally logical solutions, a woman will invent and choose the illogical one.

Demonpenz
01-31-2011, 03:46 PM
I love used rubbers.

WV
01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Believe this if you want to. I know this is/was true with at least one model of Goodyear A/T tires.

Well it's a known fact that WM does do exactly what you're saying with other products they sell, so it's not far fetched to say they do it with tires as well. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are a ripoff, heck I paid more for a set of smaller no name tires from a local tire shop than I did with the Goodyears from WM.

I can't beleive I'm defending WM, but lots of stores have products specifically made for their store that are name brand. The key point though is that the model numbers are not in fact the same. If you found the exact same product with the exact same model numbers at two stores with different levels of quality people would be sueing the companies like crazy. Best Buy has their own model numbers in a lot of TV's and CPU's, but they don't advertise them as another model or claim they're in fact another model number.
The onus is on the consumer, you have to check the model numbers and know what your buying.

ChiefButthurt
01-31-2011, 05:57 PM
look if you find a set of 'used' - from someone other than a non trustworthy 'grease-monkey' - you'll be fine, there are some non legit companies out there that would (maybe) STILL sell 'junk', it's sorta @ the purchaser's discretion, however, some of these guys buy from wrecks and people who've purchased non oem rims, other times - some of these buyers have just been lucky, buying tires to resell that aren't junk or weirdly worn.

Sure if you're spotting a tire 'here or there' by only buying 1-2 new/'used' tires - that's when you get in trouble. I've never had an issue w/ any from the tire shop i go to. NEVER

Come on SR.....do you buy used shirts or pants or better yet shoes? Can I get hell no from the congregation? Okay then why used tires for your car when safety is critical?

ChiefButthurt
01-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Just woke up to a missed call.

"So, it's slick here, and I didn't want to go to Shawnee." (TireTown)
"Ok"
"So, I went to Wal-Mart instead. My Dad says they are cheaper than..."
:facepalm:

Oh no,please tell me you didn't. They fill your tires with shit.

boogblaster
01-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Hankok

The God Hypothesis
01-31-2011, 06:06 PM
I agree and remove them in the summer as well. As far as winter driving, they kick ass!

I only run Bridgestones. By far the best tire on the road in my opinion. I used to run Michelins as well, but even though they ran forever they were like hockey pucks after 30k and beat the s**t out of my cars suspension.

For my $ its Bridgestone or nothing...

JASONSAUTO
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Hankok

Hankook
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
01-31-2011, 06:21 PM
I only run Bridgestones. By far the best tire on the road in my opinion. I used to run Michelins as well, but even though they ran forever they were like hockey pucks after 30k and beat the s**t out of my cars suspension.

For my $ its Bridgestone or nothing...

Yeah, that is the carcass wearing out.

Dolphinduck
01-31-2011, 06:55 PM
I just bought 4 Cooper ATRs. Good Tire for the price.

CanadaKC
01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
I bought the highly rated General Grabbers for a sweet price on tirerack.com They are very good!!

gblowfish
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
I put some Uniroyal Laredo All-Season AWP tires on the Suburban 4X4 that I found at Wal-Mart about as cheap as I could find tires for a LT application about 3 years ago. They had good tread life gaurantee and smooth ride with low noise along with LOW price. Everything I wanted in a tire.

I was just about to say I have Uniroyal Laredos on my Jeep. I've had Michelin and BF Goorich TA Radials before, and the Uniroyals have been excellent.

Good tire, good price.

stevieray
01-31-2011, 07:32 PM
I ran Firestones on my Jeep and BFG Radial T/As on my El Camnino (no mullet) and currently on my 65G10.

No complaints.

Depending on the situation, a front end alignment can't hurt.

30k post is about tires...:doh!:

Simply Red
01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
listen guys, it's common sense, look, if i can't tell a more than servicable tire before purchase - I'm in trouble. Just analyze and inspect prior to pulling the trigger, then find yourself saving 300bux, choice is yours, Pote. JMO...

I bought a Phillips today @ Target, they good TV's?

vailpass
02-01-2011, 07:07 AM
listen guys, it's common sense, look, if i can't tell a more than servicable tire before purchase - I'm in trouble. Just analyze and inspect prior to pulling the trigger, then find yourself saving 300bux, choice is yours, Pote. JMO...

I respect your opinion. To me, compromising on one of the most critical parts of my vehicles is not worth the price of a couple of nights out.

Bwana
02-01-2011, 07:15 AM
I respect your opinion. To me, compromising on one of the most critical parts of my vehicles is not worth the price of a couple of nights out.

And there you have it.

When you think about it, tires are the only thing between you and a ditch/light pole/head on. Tires are not a good place to skimp and bargain tires are NOT a smart investment.

COchief
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
My opinion on various tires after mucho online research and a fair amount of experience:

Snow tires, nothing compares to blizzaks, but you pay for them.

Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, Yoko, Pirelli: Good products for the most part, but you are mostly paying for their advertising budgets instead of your tires.

Best value is mid tier: Falken, Kumho, Dunlop etc,they spend their $$ on R&D versus pictures of marshmallow men.

Best LT truck by a god damn mile is BFG, there is a reason they have dominated the market for years and years, excellent ride, tread life, and traction in any condition is amazing. Don't listen to chubby chaser, he doesn't know shit.

Look around online if you're really picky, I just put on some HP summer tires and I was surprised to see a set of Dunlops was by far the best way to go.

Also, tirerack does have better prices, but only seems to be worth it if you are packaging wheels and tires, otherwise mounting and balancing and shipping cost eats up virtually any price difference.

nstygma
02-01-2011, 02:17 PM
OK, so who has studded tires?
the main roads are a mess right now, so of course the side streets are terrible

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-01-2011, 03:27 PM
OK, so who has studded tires?
the main roads are a mess right now, so of course the side streets are terrible
They used to only be allowed certain months out of year around here, and for all I know they may be banned altogether now. You really shouldn't need them nowadays with FWD, and they're impractical because you either have to get a spare set of wheels to keep them on, or have them installed/removed every fall/spring. But back in the day, they rocked.

ChiefButthurt
02-01-2011, 03:33 PM

Fair enough. BUT you didn't answer my used shoes question. I know your two fitty shoes are new, huh?

And....I really don't know but there are probably three TV manufacturers in the world, they all seem good anymore.