PDA

View Full Version : Life My first root canal!

siberian khatru
01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Cherry got popped an hour ago.

Wasn't nearly as bad as legend has it. I've had crowns and fillings go worse. Although I'm waiting for the Novacaine to wear off ... already took 3 Motrin to fight the first wave.

Anybody got any horror stories to comfort me with? :D

tooge
01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Ur good, pain after is minimal, and mainly to chewing pressure. The legend of root canal pain is greatly exagerated

Pants
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
The process itself is not bad, it's the money you have to pay for it. FML

blaise
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
The shots into the gumline were the worst part, to me.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Mine wasn't good. I had one on each side of my mouth, same day, a few years ago. Not fun at all. And they had a very difficult time getting the shots to actually numb my mouth.

KC Tattoo
01-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Nightmares from haveing 6 teeth extracted still haunt me. OUCH!!!

never had a root canal tho.

siberian khatru
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Mine wasn't good. I had one on each side of my mouth, same day, a few years ago. Not fun at all. And they had a very difficult time getting the shots to actually numb my mouth.

THAT would be awful.

Do you have a freaky physiology, or did you have a bad dentist who couldn't find a nerve?

Iowanian
01-31-2011, 11:47 AM
I've got one.

I've had plenty of work done over the years, fillings, a couple of root canals and crowns and a tooth pulled in addition to wisdom teeth removed. I've never used gas, I've never used pain pills...even with a couple of painful deals.

I cracked a back tooth(vertical down to root) the weekend of the playoff game, and starting sunday night(when the beer started to wear off) got pretty intense.
I went to the Dentist monday and he said I had to go to the oral surgeon to have it removed for a variety of reasons, but it might be a while and was going to likely get bad.

The next day was a snow storm, people cancelled and I got in. I drove an hour for the appointment in a snow storm and bad roads to get the damn aching thing out.

Anyway....After being reassured that it would be fine and a promise to be gentle....he went to work. It hurt...quite a bit and took longer than the other pulls and when he stopped I said "wow, that was quite a bit tougher than before"....and he looked at me and said "uh, we're just getting started.

For the next 20 minutes he twisted, torqued, scurried side to side...I felt every bit...It hurt like a SOB no matter how many shots. I eventually asked him to give me a F'ing Ice skate and a rock and I'd take the damn thing out(true). at that point, I submitted and asked for the gas.

Eventually they cut it in half, snipped the roots(and nerves).....which was really awesome....and then pulled each root out individually. After 45min-1hr of muscle burning, arching, feet kicking nerve pain....it was out and I said
"holy shit, tell me that wasn't normal"..."People don't F ing do that"...."this is the dentist trip that people have bad dreams about and are afraid they'll have here"

He said I was just really lucky and had what they call a "hot tooth" and that enough shots to take ALL of my teeth out didn't numb it...it just happens sometimes. I guess they usually knock people out, but the room wasn't available, I was alone, and it was too far into the process to stop...so I got to tough it out.

Holy shit.....I can't imagine a more unpleasant dental experience.

Glad to have been of service.

Iowanian
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
The shots into the gumline were the worst part, to me.

Roof of the mouth hurt the most.

I had a few years where I was going to the university dental college for work...which took way longer, and resulted in a slower process, and they gave all of the text book shots.....Those are the worst other than maybe right under the bridge of your nose.

SNR
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
If/when I need to get one, I'll probably pay the extra money to get knocked out. That shit sounds awful.

rageeumr
01-31-2011, 11:52 AM
I almost had to get one a couple of years ago. Somehow the tooth rallied and I didn't have to get it done.

More than the pain, I was somewhat concerned about what I read regarding focal infection. It sounds like most smart people nowadays consider it laughable that disease could metastasize from a tooth that had undergone root canal therapy, but it still worried me somewhat.

siberian khatru
01-31-2011, 11:53 AM
I've got one.

I've had plenty of work done over the years, fillings, a couple of root canals and crowns and a tooth pulled in addition to wisdom teeth removed. I've never used gas, I've never used pain pills...even with a couple of painful deals.

I cracked a back tooth(vertical down to root) the weekend of the playoff game, and starting sunday night(when the beer started to wear off) got pretty intense.
I went to the Dentist monday and he said I had to go to the oral surgeon to have it removed for a variety of reasons, but it might be a while and was going to likely get bad.

The next day was a snow storm, people cancelled and I got in. I drove an hour for the appointment in a snow storm and bad roads to get the damn aching thing out.

Anyway....After being reassured that it would be fine and a promise to be gentle....he went to work. It hurt...quite a bit and took longer than the other pulls and when he stopped I said "wow, that was quite a bit tougher than before"....and he looked at me and said "uh, we're just getting started.

For the next 20 minutes he twisted, torqued, scurried side to side...I felt every bit...It hurt like a SOB no matter how many shots. I eventually asked him to give me a F'ing Ice skate and a rock and I'd take the damn thing out(true). at that point, I submitted and asked for the gas.

Eventually they cut it in half, snipped the roots(and nerves).....which was really awesome....and then pulled each root out individually. After 45min-1hr of muscle burning, arching, feet kicking nerve pain....it was out and I said
"holy shit, tell me that wasn't normal"..."People don't F ing do that"...."this is the dentist trip that people have bad dreams about and are afraid they'll have here"

He said I was just really lucky and had what they call a "hot tooth" and that enough shots to take ALL of my teeth out didn't numb it...it just happens sometimes. I guess they usually knock people out, but the room wasn't available, I was alone, and it was too far into the process to stop...so I got to tough it out.

Holy shit.....I can't imagine a more unpleasant dental experience.

Glad to have been of service.

Yeah, exactly what I was looking for. You delivered.

I sometimes wonder what it must've been like in, say, the 19th century. Civil War. Old West. I've seen those dental tools. I can't imagine the pain ... not to mention infections and whatnot. *shudder*

Today I got to watch TV with headphones, the doc numbed me all up ... had just a handful of short, moderate jolts of pain. I feel very lucky.

Hopefully the soreness won't be too bad. I'll have to get my permanent crown on next week.

Pants
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
The thing that kills me every time, is when they spray cold water when doing a crown/filling and the drilled down tooth is exposed. Jesus titty... I hate that kind of pain. It's not sharp and it's not dull, it's a whole different level of "discomfort". That is the single thing I dread most about getting dental work done. I've had bad shots before (like when a painful, burning sensation shoots up right from the mouth, up the nose, to the eye). I've had a root canal, I've had crowns - that one thing is what I hate the most, though.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-31-2011, 12:03 PM
THAT would be awful.

Do you have a freaky physiology, or did you have a bad dentist who couldn't find a nerve?

I guess bad physiology, because I've had the numbing problem with three different dentists.

blaise
01-31-2011, 12:04 PM
I had a bridge put in when I smashed my tooth out on a bike. The part I hated was how he ground down the two teeth next to the missing one. It was like he just used a dremel tool or something and just grinded them down, and I could smell it burning.

the Talking Can
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
had one 6 months ago..was scared shitless

honest to god, it was almost painless....the drugs are so good now, one they shot me up, i listened to espn on the headphones and experienced no pain...could not believe it

Iowanian
01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, exactly what I was looking for. You delivered.

I sometimes wonder what it must've been like in, say, the 19th century. Civil War. Old West. I've seen those dental tools. I can't imagine the pain ... not to mention infections and whatnot. *shudder*

Today I got to watch TV with headphones, the doc numbed me all up ... had just a handful of short, moderate jolts of pain. I feel very lucky.

Hopefully the soreness won't be too bad. I'll have to get my permanent crown on next week.

In my case, it might have been easier then...because they would have grabbed the damn thing with a pair of blacksmith pliers and yanked it out. It might have hurt worse....for 1 minute....instead of an hour.

I still think a rock and an ice skate would have been easier.

I don't think the dentist was bad or did anything wrong, I think I'm just the "lucky 1 in 3000/yr", probably due to my lack of high reputation points on Chiefsplanet.

kc rush
01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Never had one, but my BIL is an endodontist, so if I ever need a root canal he'll do it. If it goes badly, I know where he lives.

Rain Man
01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Once you've had one, you can't stop. They're like potato chips, but with pain and blood.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Root canal pain is way overrated, i've had two done and neither were as bad as the bill that followed.

DaneMcCloud
01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
I guess bad physiology, because I've had the numbing problem with three different dentists.

Are you a red head?

I was recently told by an anesthesiologist that people with red hair have a higher tolerance to narcotics and alcohol.

AndChiefs
Cherry got popped an hour ago.

Congrats?

cabletech94
i was "advised" by my dentist that i needed 2 root canals done.
she worked on 'em for about 2 hours. then said "wait, which one were we supposed to do?"
so you can imagine my general distrust nowadays. it's been 2 years, and my teeth are just now able to bite down on food without some discomfort.

the thing that pisses me off the most was that i was not in any pain at all before the procedure.

siberian khatru
01-31-2011, 12:32 PM
i was "advised" by my dentist that i needed 2 root canals done.
she worked on 'em for about 2 hours. then said "wait, which one were we supposed to do?"
so you can imagine my general distrust nowadays. it's been 2 years, and my teeth are just now able to bite down on food without some discomfort.

the thing that pisses me off the most was that i was not in any pain at all before the procedure.

There was your first mistake.

Rain Man
01-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Are you a red head?

I was recently told by an anesthesiologist that people with red hair have a higher tolerance to narcotics and alcohol.

I thought the anti-Irish stuff stopped a hundred years ago.

UTChief
01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
The process itself is not bad, it's the money you have to pay for it. FML
exactly what I was thinking

cabletech94
01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
There was your first mistake.

EXACTLY

steve_minor
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Mine was a great experience ... Novocaine shots for the pain ... Laughing gas for the mind ... Headphones with an overhead LCD playing Season 3 of The Office :)

Slainte
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Mine was a great experience ... Novocaine shots for the pain ... Laughing gas for the mind ... Headphones with an overhead LCD playing Season 3 of The Office :)

You get to ogle Jenna Fischer while the dental staff rapes you in your drug-induced fog...great experience!

Fried Meat Ball!
01-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Are you a red head?

Interesting. There is red in my hair, yes. Not a lot, but some.

Rain Man
01-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Interesting. There is red in my hair, yes. Not a lot, but some.

Is it where blood splashed up from the root canal?

Bwana
01-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Been there, it sucks!

alpha_omega
01-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Not something I enjoy, but not as bad as some say.

Next time I need one done, maybe I'll go to another dentist...my dentist doesn't have all the audio-visual entertainment options described in this thread.