PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone use AirTran to fly?

Guru
01-31-2011, 10:05 PM
This is the airline I had to settle on due to the price being just too good to pass up.

I've been seeing a lot of posting on other boards that this airline is the baggage Nazi's. Anyone have any experience with them in KC?

Stinger
01-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Good airline have used them quite a bit. Loved it when you could upgrade to business class for $29. As far as being baggage Nazi's as with anything it depends on who you get behind the counter.

Also they were just recently bought by Southwest.

CrazyPhuD
01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Hey wow I didn't realize they were orginally valuejet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirTran_Airways

Flew them a while ago before all the baggage nonsense...they were reasonable.

Guru
01-31-2011, 10:18 PM
I guess they are really picky at some AirTran counters about checked luggage. I have one of those pieces that is supposed to be accepted no matter what because its dimensions are exactly 61". But I am hearing that AirTran has a habit of using loose tape measures.

I just really want to know what the KC and Orlando Airtran employees are like.

Captain Obvious
01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
The stewardesses are a bit on the mannish side.

Guru
01-31-2011, 10:23 PM
The stewardesses are a bit on the mannish side.As long as they give me the full can I don't give a damn.:D

ChiefsLV
01-31-2011, 10:38 PM
I'll be flying them in June from Vegas to DC. Apparently they have Wi-Fi on the flight. I dunno, I think I'd probably rather have the DirecTV on JetBlue instead.

Buck
01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I saw THE Hottest Stewardess EVER flying Air Tran. She was about 25 years old and looked straight up out of the 70s with the way she looked in her outfit. All of it was skintight....but I digress.

Their hub is out of Milwaukee which sort of sucks.

Guru
01-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I'll be flying them in June from Vegas to DC. Apparently they have Wi-Fi on the flight. I dunno, I think I'd probably rather have the DirecTV on JetBlue instead.How much do they charge for Wifi? I have heard they also have Satellite radio in flight as well.

Buck
01-31-2011, 10:48 PM
How much do they charge for Wifi? I have heard they also have Satellite radio in flight as well.

Believe me its not worth it.

Guru
01-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Believe me its not worth it.I assume as much but figured I should at least ask.

Rain Man
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I've flown them a time or two. Didn't have any baggage nazi experience, but then again I'm kind of a baggage Sweden. Baggage nazis have no reason to come after me.

MIAdragon
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
http://www.bardiaorion.com/resources/Miami%20Air%20Crash.jpg

Reerun_KC
02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Good airline have used them quite a bit. Loved it when you could upgrade to business class for $29. As far as being baggage Nazi's as with anything it depends on who you get behind the counter.

Also they were just recently bought by Southwest.

Contracts arent final yet... Still at the table...

Mr. Laz
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
The stewardesses are a bit on the mannish side.
thus the name ... Air Tran :)

Gracie Dean
02-01-2011, 12:01 PM
we use it to fly to Vegas from ICT

They are very strict about the baggage size. They have this little metal form and if there is any question you have to put your bag in it and if it needs to be stuffed in, they charge more

Stinger
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Contracts arent final yet... Still at the table...

I thought it was just a few more regulation hurdles? Last I heard they were going to finalize around March of this year.

trndobrd
02-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Wife flew Air Tran a couple times. The last time, her connecting flight out departed 20 minutes early and she had to stay overnight in ATL. The Air Tran folks went out of their way to be unhelpful and rude, though they did graciously give her a $30 off coupon for a substandard local hotel. More than happy to pay the extra $20 to fly a legitimate airline like Southwestern or American.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Wife flew Air Tran a couple times. The last time, her connecting flight out departed 20 minutes early and she had to stay overnight in ATL. The Air Tran folks went out of their way to be unhelpful and rude, though they did graciously give her a $30 off coupon for a substandard local hotel. More than happy to pay the extra $20 to fly a legitimate airline like Southwestern or American.

really? I've never, ever heard of a flight leaving early.

Chest Rockwell
02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I've flown them a few times, but as a partner on one of the larger airlines regionals (like Delta Connection). I try to never check anything, and I've got a larger carry-on that just meets the size limits. The kind that has to be gate checked on a lot of planes. It's been gate-checked on every flight I've had with them, and no one ever hassled me nor was I charged extra.

Given some of the other info in here, I'm thinking it might be because they were flying under someone else's flag.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Fly them almost every time unless I'm going somewhere they don't fly.

Never had any issues with them - Course, my carry-on is usually just a laptop case. I've had my backpack gate-checked a few times, when it was my only luggage. Sorta enjoyed that. Turned it in at the gate, got it at the gate and was gone while everyone else was waiting for their luggage.

But, that's just my experiences. Other people have obviously had different ones from the posts on this thread.

Predarat
02-01-2011, 12:29 PM
I haven't but my Uncle Allen did, however, he is no longer with us as he died in a plane crash.

Valiant
02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
This is the airline I had to settle on due to the price being just too good to pass up.

I've been seeing a lot of posting on other boards that this airline is the baggage Nazi's. Anyone have any experience with them in KC?

Used them to fly to Mexico, not bad.. I think Southwest just bought them..

Bearcat2005
02-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Just used them to fly to DC, their fine. Same deal though, price was too cheap to pass up.

RedNeckRaider
02-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I have flown them a handful of times and never hand any issues. Company fights and I am sure price was the factor. Small birds everytime I have flown with them but nothing that would make me speak ill of them~

Guru
02-01-2011, 10:07 PM
For the record, my concern is with checked luggage not carryone luggage. I know they won't have an issue with my carry ons.

Buehler445
02-01-2011, 10:19 PM
As long as they give me the full can I don't give a damn.:D

Is that what the kids are calling it now a days?

Guru
02-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Is that what the kids are calling it now a days?can of soda. A full can of soda. :facepalm:

joesomebody
02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
I realize it's popular with the super travelers to only bring carry on luggage, but I hate the people with the giant carry on, lap top, and backpack all to avoid checking a damn bag.

Not only do you end up taking up space with all that carry on crap, you waste everyone's time getting on and off the airplane when you stand in the middle of the aisle rounding up your 80 pounds of crap from the cabin.

Check you damn bags people. :#

Buehler445
02-01-2011, 11:08 PM
can of soda. A full can of soda. :facepalm:

I was joking dude.

It wasn't even a little funny? :sulk:

Baconeater
02-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I realize it's popular with the super travelers to only bring carry on luggage, but I hate the people with the giant carry on, lap top, and backpack all to avoid checking a damn bag.

Not only do you end up taking up space with all that carry on crap, you waste everyone's time getting on and off the airplane when you stand in the middle of the aisle rounding up your 80 pounds of crap from the cabin.

Check you damn bags people. :#
Agree 100%. I fucking despise "I'm too good to check my luggage" guy.

Guru
02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I was joking dude.

It wasn't even a little funny? :sulk:Yeah, it was. I shouldn't have facepalmed ya.

Guru
02-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Agree 100%. I ****ing despise "I'm too good to check my luggage" guy.I'm not checking any more fucking bags then I have to. Get over it.:cuss:;)

Baconeater
02-01-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm not checking any more fucking bags then I have to. Get over it.:cuss:;)
Then keep your ass in your seat and let the rest of us who do check bags get the fuck off of the plane first.

Guru
02-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Then keep your ass in your seat and let the rest of us who do check bags get the **** off of the plane first.Dude, you have never seen me in action. Even with one carry on per person we are off that plane faster than the people with only small bags or purses. I am up, loaded and ready to go by the time the line to get off the plane reaches me. Every. Single. Time.

EDIT - And where in the hell did I say I don't check my bags? I almost always check two. But I'll be damned if I don't have at least a days worth of clothes in a carry on just in case my luggage ever did get lost.

anyway, your beef is with the airlines themselves. If they hadn't started all this charging for all bags bullshit people WOULD check more bags in.

I would friggin love to not have to carry on anything but that just ain't happening.

Bewbies
02-02-2011, 12:19 AM
They're based out of Atlanta. I prefer them to Delta personally. As far as the hub in Milwaukee, that's because they bought Midwest Express.

Their deal with Southwest is huge news down here, Delta is shitting bricks.

Buck
02-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Oh shit Guru, they did lose one of my Moms bags. When we flew back from Baltimore to Milwaukee to San Diego, somehow her bag (not mine) got lost in Milwaukee, but they brought it to our house the next day at like 4 pm.

Pushead2
02-02-2011, 03:35 AM
http://www.bardiaorion.com/resources/Miami%20Air%20Crash.jpg

that's fucked up

Baconeater
02-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Dude, you have never seen me in action. Even with one carry on per person we are off that plane faster than the people with only small bags or purses. I am up, loaded and ready to go by the time the line to get off the plane reaches me. Every. Single. Time.

EDIT - And where in the hell did I say I don't check my bags? I almost always check two. But I'll be damned if I don't have at least a days worth of clothes in a carry on just in case my luggage ever did get lost.

anyway, your beef is with the airlines themselves. If they hadn't started all this charging for all bags bullshit people WOULD check more bags in.

I would friggin love to not have to carry on anything but that just ain't happening.
I haven't flown since 2004, and this nonsense was going on then as well. It's people who think their socks and underwear are too important to risk losing by checking them, and that think they're too good to have to wait for their shit at baggage claim. You know, people who think they are special.

And I didn't say you didn't check bags, but you responded as if you took my comment personally, so I took that as a confession.

Slainte
02-02-2011, 04:15 AM
really? I've never, ever heard of a flight leaving early.

From previous experience, I can tell you it only happens when it's inconvenient to me.

Guru
02-02-2011, 04:31 AM
I haven't flown since 2004, and this nonsense was going on then as well. It's people who think their socks and underwear are too important to risk losing by checking them, and that think they're too good to have to wait for their shit at baggage claim. You know, people who think they are special.

And I didn't say you didn't check bags, but you responded as if you took my comment personally, so I took that as a confession.Dude, I don't take anything you say personally. :D

Nah, I just want to know I have a change of clothes for the next day in the rare case that my luggage gets misplaced is all.

I don't think my stuff is any more important that anyone else on my flight. But, if it really bothers you that much you should be paying for the seats at the front of the plane.

KurtCobain
02-02-2011, 04:38 AM
I've never flown in my life.

Guru
03-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Great. My first experience with Airtran, they remove my nonstop flight from the schedule and put me on a 1 stop flight that requires me to leave earlier and arrive even later.

At least I can change to other flights now with no fees or extra expenses but damn, I really didn't want to deal with a layover with kids.