PDA

View Full Version : Football Labor Dispute - CBS refuses to air NFLPA commercial

Chiefnj2
02-01-2011, 09:13 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jl9BpUgYljQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The NFLPA is hosting the Texas v. The Nation game this weekend. Supposedly CBS is refusing to air the commercial above.

Mr. Laz
02-01-2011, 09:14 AM
wow ... that's surprising, if true.

you know some union people around the U.S. are going to raise a stink.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Nice to see the cabal of ownership and their stooge Goodell has expanded to include the networks.

KCrockaholic
02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Thats pretty shitty to refuse to play the commercial. The whole labor thing is bullshit.

Chiefnj2
02-01-2011, 09:18 AM
courtesy of withleather.com

“I tried to have my team contact CBS to try to understand exactly what happened, but apparently they said they didn’t want to get involved with the labor negotiations,” Mr. Atallah said. He noted that game organizers were told by Kim Niforos Bolan, VP-Programming for CBS College Sports Network, although it is unclear who at the network made the actual decision.[..]

CBS is one of four networks that pay the NFL $4 billion a year to televise the league’s games. CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN, as well as DirecTV, all agreed to pay the NFL in 2011 even if a lockout disrupts or cancels the season — a relationship that the NFLPA finds a little too cozy.

–Advertising Age.

morphius
02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
They couldn't sound any less excited about wanting to play if they hired Steven Wright to do the voice overs...

Mr. Laz
02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
i bet they change their mind

you gotta think that CBS uses quite a few union workers

J Diddy
02-01-2011, 09:20 AM
They couldn't sound any less excited about wanting to play if they hired Steven Wright to do the voice overs...

:clap:

The man on the couch says let them play.

morphius
02-01-2011, 09:21 AM
i bet they change their mind

you gotta think that CBS uses quite a few union workers
nah, they don't use actors, camera guys, sound guys...

Extra Point
02-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Bring on the scrubs. Discount the tickets and parking. Let them both see who built this game: the fans.

notorious
02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
the fans.

What?

Where do we fall into their equation?

DaFace
02-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Bring on the scrubs. Discount the tickets and parking. Let them both see who built this game: the fans.

Is it bad that I actually think it'd be entertaining to have a bunch of no names playing in the NFL? It'd be kind of fun in a bizarro-world kind of way.

J Diddy
02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Is it bad that I actually think it'd be entertaining to have a bunch of no names playing in the NFL? It'd be kind of fun in a bizarro-world kind of way.

Just like the Replacements, there would be superstars who emerge. Everyone would be at their own talent level. The only thing that would skip a beat would be jersey sales.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
. Discount the tickets and parking. .

ROFL ROFL.

They aren't even going to refund the money of people who bought suites if there is a lockout..

Rams Fan
02-01-2011, 09:46 AM

UFL's going to be fun to watch in the fall.

/No it's not

blaise
02-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't really need to hear stuff about the labor dispute during the game anyway. We'll be hearing plenty about it for the next few months.

seclark
02-01-2011, 09:49 AM

i'd be interested in watching jack del rio react to coaching replacement players.
sec

Hoover
02-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Thats a horrible ad. They should have let some political people message it for them

KCUnited
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM

It would be like the '08 Chiefs season all over again.

blaise
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Thats a horrible ad. They should have let some political people message it for them

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

Rams Fan
02-01-2011, 09:54 AM
If the UFL and AFL had an All Star game in which both leagues All Stars would play against each other, I think I would watch that.

Extra Point
02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
ROFL ROFL.

They aren't even going to refund the money of people who bought suites if there is a lockout..

The ability to pay: what a concept in economics. How many games did you enjoy in your suite, this past season? I only went to the playoff game; bought the tickets on eBay, at near 1/2 price.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-01-2011, 10:01 AM
I think both sides are spoiled, but this seems awful cozy for the owners and league.

jspchief
02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Sounds like CBS has about 4 billion reasons to side with ownership.

Brock
02-01-2011, 10:24 AM

You probably don't remember the shitty, shitty football that took place in strike years.

Dave Lane
02-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Seriously thats retarded. I'll bet when the owners have a commercial for why they locked the players out it gets run. Hell probably for free. In the mean time 600,000,000 people will watch the player's ad because they are curious what isn't getting run.

They can have Al Davis as their spokesman saying "See why we need the money?"

Dave Lane
02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
You probably don't remember the shitty, shitty football that took place in strike years.

It is funny no one remembers 1994. I was younger and more of a dumbass then and I thought the same retarded thought. I guess there is some wisdom that comes with age.

Frazod
02-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Both sides can kiss my ass. People making at least six figures need a union like I need a fucking hairdresser. And the owners are no better. Greedy bastards.

J Diddy
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Yeah but if everyone sucks, someone's bound to look good.

Brock
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah but if everyone sucks, someone's bound to look good.

A good looking turd is still a turd.

easymobee
02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
It is funny no one remembers 1994. I was younger and more of a dumbass then and I thought the same retarded thought. I guess there is some wisdom that comes with age.

What happened in 1994?

I think the original post was talking about the strike in the 80s.

If that happened again. FF would be a clusterfuck.

J Diddy
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
A good looking turd is still a turd.

I've yet to see a good looking turd.

InChiefsHell
02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
No shock that CBS would not play this. They make money from the NFL...not the players. Yes, I get the irony. But they also probably don't want some PSA for the NFLPA wrecking the game. That's why they'll have Obama on and stuff...keepin' it real...

Ras-al-Ghul
02-01-2011, 10:50 AM
CBS is one of four networks that pay the NFL $4 billion a year to televise the league’s games. CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN, as well as DirecTV, all agreed to pay the NFL in 2011 even if a lockout disrupts or cancels the season — a relationship that the NFLPA finds a little too cozy.

If it wasn't for that relationship and the money paid to the NFL, the players would not be getting paid as much as they do.

Brock
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
As long as the network doesn't play an ad from the NFL or its lackey Goodell about the labor situation, CBS' business relationship with the league is irrelevant.

Rams Fan
02-01-2011, 11:00 AM
As long as the network doesn't play an ad from the NFL or its lackey Goodell about the labor situation, CBS' business relationship with the league is irrelevant.

CBS said it wouldn't play an ad from the owners either if they wanted to air a commercial.

Mr. Laz
02-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Both sides can kiss my ass. People making at least six figures need a union like I need a ****ing hairdresser. And the owners are no better. Greedy bastards.Truth

ChiefsandO'sfan
02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
WHO THE FUCK CARES ABOUT CBS ........FOX IS COVING THE SUPERBOWL

mikeyis4dcats.
02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
CBS said it wouldn't play an ad from the owners either if they wanted to air a commercial.

thats convenient, since the owners hadn't expressed any interest.

morphius
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Both sides can kiss my ass. People making at least six figures need a union like I need a fucking hairdresser. And the owners are no better. Greedy bastards.
Pretty much. There is no talk about how to make it more affordable for fans, or any mention of the fans at all. Just a bunch of rich people arguing over percentages of how rich they think they should be.

jspchief
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
You guys should be applauding this.

There is a price point where the NFL will become too expensive for free TV. At that point it becomes a cable premium type channel or even worse pay per view. Networks doing their part to keep the cost down is ultimately better for the consumer.

philfree
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Pretty much. There is no talk about how to make it more affordable for fans, or any mention of the fans at all. Just a bunch of rich people arguing over percentages of how rich they think they should be.

The fans/we fans should start a forum where all fans from every team can voice their opinions about this BS.

The fans should also make their own commercial and have it run. Something about a game being played with zero fans in the stands. Families having picnics on sundays and going fishing instead of watching a bunch rich assholes getting richer.

PhilFree:arrow:

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
a relationship that the NFLPA finds a little too cozy.

Do the dumbfuck union realize that tv money is what pays the players salaries not the other form of revenue?

Hydrae
02-01-2011, 12:35 PM
The fans/we fans should start a forum where all fans from every team can voice their opinions about this BS.

The fans should also make their own commercial and have it run. Something about a game being played with zero fans in the stands. Families having picnics on sundays and going fishing instead of watching a bunch rich assholes getting richer.

PhilFree:arrow:

This whole thing has made me realize what a beautiful example of marketing sports are. We pay huge amounts of money to watch someone play a game and we are all happy to do so. It is rather amazing when you think about it.

With that said, I hope they get this figured out quickly. I need my football!

Frazod
02-01-2011, 12:35 PM
You guys should be applauding this.

There is a price point where the NFL will become too expensive for free TV. At that point it becomes a cable premium type channel or even worse pay per view. Networks doing their part to keep the cost down is ultimately better for the consumer.

I've got Sunday Ticket. It's been pay per view for me for years - either that or watch the fucking Bears. All that money to watch a regularly televised show that's half commercials. Lovely.

jspchief
02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I've got Sunday Ticket. It's been pay per view for me for years - either that or watch the ****ing Bears. All that money to watch a regularly televised show that's half commercials. Lovely.If you go back far enough on this site, you'll find me saying that Sunday ticket was a form of testing the waters for pay per view. They'll keep pushing the price until they find the breaking point and that will be their benchmark for setting a PPV price.

Frazod
02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
If you go back far enough on this site, you'll find me saying that Sunday ticket was a form of testing the waters for pay per view. They'll keep pushing the price until they find the breaking point and that will be their benchmark for setting a PPV price.

Certainly makes sense. I can see it getting to the point where Sunday day games will all be PPV and the "free" games will be in prime time. And they'll try to spin that like we're getting a bargain. :shake:

Valiant
02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Thats pretty shitty to refuse to play the commercial. The whole labor thing is bullshit.

They refuse to show ashleymadison commercials??

They can do what they want..

ChiefsandO'sfan
02-01-2011, 01:40 PM
HEY if there is a lockout we always got this

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HYXqYXkBg2E?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HYXqYXkBg2E?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Pawnmower
02-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I've got Sunday Ticket. It's been pay per view for me for years - either that or watch the ****ing Bears. All that money to watch a regularly televised show that's half commercials. Lovely.

This is exactly how I feel. Someone has to say NO to the players at some point....Who else is it going to be?

morphius
02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Certainly makes sense. I can see it getting to the point where Sunday day games will all be PPV and the "free" games will be in prime time. And they'll try to spin that like we're getting a bargain. :shake:
That will be the day I become a casual fan...

listopencil
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
If anything can destroy the monopoly that the NFL has on football content, it will be situations like this. I was born in Virginia, and still lived there after I became a Bronco fan. I used to follow them via radio broadcast. A good combo of color guy and play-by-play guy can make that a great experience. I'll go back to listening to games before I pay for them.

FRCDFED
02-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Is it bad that I actually think it'd be entertaining to have a bunch of no names playing in the NFL? It'd be kind of fun in a bizarro-world kind of way.This is the reason that tikets are so expensive and some of us refuse to pay $100 per seat for nosebleed. The more the players demand then it continues to fall back onto the fans. If they stop paying these assholes so much to play a game then they can keep the tickets down and I would attend more games. Owners can't win. They have to keep the players from whining about being overpaid and they also finance portions of stadiums to keep fans happy and returning to games.

Fans complain about the condition of the stadiums based on ticket prices. Players just complain in general about getting an injury and having to get a regular job like the rest of us. Heaven forbid they should have to actually work for a living. No sympathy for the players! Start over and bring in a bunch of no names. I'd rather watch players play with heart and lose than these pussy's!

3rd&48ers
02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Maybe the owners should create a commercial " Let Us Make a Profit"
Want to know why you pay so much for everything NFL related?

alnorth
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Good for them. Its not a public service announcement or something I arguably should see like political commercials. I have no desire to see this. Virtually no one wants to see this commercial.

listopencil
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Maybe the owners should create a commercial " Let Us Make a Profit"
Want to know why you pay so much for everything NFL related?

Nah. The owners and the players should make one together. They could be walking hand in hand to a large bank saying, "Let them pay". Then they could show a bunch of dumbasses with Sunday Ticket bleating "I want to pay". And maybe a guy holding an $8 beer and a $5 hot dog going, "I want to pay." Then a cashier at the ticket counter of your local stadium holding a wad of $100 bills saying, "They want to pay." It would be glorious. Maybe NBC would show it.

Frazod
02-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Nah. The owners and the players should make one together. They could be walking hand in hand to a large bank saying, "Let them pay". Then they could show a bunch of dumbasses with Sunday Ticket bleating "I want to pay". And maybe a guy holding an $8 beer and a $5 hot dog going, "I want to pay." Then a cashier at the ticket counter of your local stadium holding a wad of $100 bills saying, "They want to pay." It would be glorious. Maybe NBC would show it.

Sounds like a brilliant idea for an SNL skit. Too bad NBC would never allow it to air.

3rd&48ers
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Absolutely... Look, I am not against making a buck, and if everybody is making a buck great, but continuously gouging the fan is getting old...

Everytime a multi million dollar contract is handed out, the fans pay for it somehow...

Just like these morons who thinks taxing the crap out of business will benefit them... all those business' do is pass that tax onto the consumer as a cost of doing business expense.

listopencil
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Sounds like a brilliant idea for an SNL skit. Too bad NBC would never allow it to air.

True. How sad is it that I'm going to have to look forward to GoChiefs' "GIF'ed Up" threads for meaningful highlights when they finally take away broadcast NFL?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Everytime a multi million dollar contract is handed out, the fans pay for it somehow...

God knows the fans of the Chiefs have paid for all of those multi-million dollar contracts over the last couple of years. Our ticket prices have gone up nearly 50% in the last five years while our expenditures on player salaries have dropped precipitously.

Tribal Warfare
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
HEY if there is a lockout we always got this

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HYXqYXkBg2E?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HYXqYXkBg2E?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

already got that shit DVRed

Garcia Bronco
02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
CBs is a private business and can refuse anyone even a dump ass union

Bwana
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Good! The Super Bowl isn't the place for a pissing contest.

AndChiefs
02-01-2011, 05:05 PM
They're doing the NFLPA a favor. That commercial sucks.