PDA

View Full Version : Football Goodell better learn his lesson for the SB in NY

KingPriest2
02-01-2011, 05:31 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/super-bowl-2011/02/01/ice.storm.ap/?eref=sihpIce storm putting damper on Super Bowl XLV activities Story Highlights

The NFL is sticking to its Super Bowl schedule Tuesday despite an ice storm
Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was closed due to the storm
The forecast for Sunday is much better with highs in the 50s

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- One Pittsburgh safety kept interrupting reporters' questions about the Super Bowl to complain it was too chilly. A Green Bay receiver bragged that the snow outside made the Packers "the home team."

Even the player known as "The Freezer" said Texas was just too cold.

Five days before the Super Bowl, a wintry blast of snow, ice and bone-chilling winds hit the Dallas area on Tuesday, closing the airport for a couple of hours and turning roads into ice rinks.

As workers shoveled and scraped the icy walkways outside Cowboys Stadium, Green Bay Packers nose tackle B.J. Raji, known for his frigid nickname, was asked about the Big Chill in Big D for the big game.

"Too cold," said the 337-pound Raji. "Feels like the AC is on."

And then some.

Downtown Fort Worth, a few miles from the stadium in Arlington, was virtually deserted. Dave Carden, a production assistant for ESPN's operation in the old cow town, cleared ice off the red-brick streets a day after handing out T-shirts.

"I think you've got enough fans from Pittsburgh and Green Bay to come out," said Tim Callahan, a 28-year-old former stockbroker who lives downtown. "I don't know how many of the locals will come out."

While the rest of the Dallas area slipped and slid through a miserable day, the NFL stuck to its Super Bowl schedule. League spokesman Greg Aiello sent out a Twitter message not long after sunrise saying media activities would go on as planned - and they did, with the roof of Cowboys Stadium thankfully closed high above the Packers, Steelers and hundreds of reporters in town for Sunday's game.

"The show goes on," Aiello wrote. "Media day is on schedule. Drive carefully."

The North Texas climate can be moderate - highs were in the mid-70s just days ago - but the area left no doubt about its wintry side as a massive storm moved across the country. The National Weather Service says it won't be above freezing until Friday and Sunday's forecast calls for highs in the mid-50s.

Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was shut down briefly, and primary tenant American Airlines canceled 800 flights - about half its daily service. A spokesman said it was too early to tell whether the trickle-down would affect the heavier passenger loads for the Super Bowl later in the week.

The Packers might even practice indoors this week if the weather doesn't improve - just like they do at home, where the temperature hovered in the low 20s Tuesday.

"It's a little too cold for me," Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews said. "Texas is supposed to be hot and humid. I was looking forward to that. I am a California guy."

Steelers safety Ryan Clark, a Louisiana native, stopped several times between questions and said: "Man, it's freezing in here!"

Pittsburgh receiver Hines Ward also wanted the heat inside the stadium turned up a little bit.

"It's crazy. I didn't even think it could snow in Texas," Ward said.

"I'm wearing my cowboy hat and everything, looking for the great weather, and I look outside this morning and it looks like we brought Pittsburgh down here. ... You know what? Luckily this game is indoors," he added.

Then again, Packers receiver Greg Jennings said it felt like being in Titletown.

"We're in Green Bay right now," he said. "We're the home team and we're at home with this weather."

The Super Bowl next year is slated for Indianapolis and the year after in the open-air New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey, raising the possibility of more chilly stories in the week before the game.

Atlanta has twice been turned down in Super Bowl balloting since a rare ice storm struck the city just before the 2000 game. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Dallas bid leader Bill Lively shrugged off the notion that the icy weather would affect future Super Bowl bids by the city.

Jones said holding the Super Bowl in a 100,000-seat stadium located in an area with a well-known passion for the sport should offset any concerns about inclement weather.

"This is football country. It runs deep. It runs through men and women," he said. "It's a big deal. That's the way it is here - period. All that should help us if we have ambitions of hosting future Super Bowls."

NFL vice president of events Frank Supovitz said media day went smoothly. He didn't think the storm was fodder for those who contend Super Bowls should be played in warm weather.

"I don't know if it's ammunition (for naysayers) because we were able to have our event without too much inconvenience," Supovitz said.

"Wherever you go, you always want to have a contingency plan. In South Florida, we have a contingency plan for flooding. In Detroit, we had a contingency plan for snow. In Indianapolis next year, we'll have similar plan like that for deep cold and snow," he said. "Here, we had a contingency plan for frozen precipitation because ice is the thing that you have to be most concerned about."

Michael Morris, director of transportation for the North Central Texas Council of Governments, said sand truck crews gave the "bad storm" everything they had to keep roads clear.

"I don't think the question is we will never have a Super Bowl again in a town that has had weather or the potential for bad weather," he said. "I think they want to showcase the investment they've made in their stadiums. I think the judgment will be how was our response. And I'm proud of our response."

Former Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman, vice chairman of the host committee, was disappointed by the unusual weather, and he blamed the board's chairman - fellow ex-Cowboy Roger Staubach, who is credited with coining the football term "Hail Mary."

"That's Staubach's fault," Aikman joked. "He's the one with the direct line to the man upstairs - at least that's what I've been hearing all these years."

Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/super-bowl-2011/02/01/ice.storm.ap/index.html#ixzz1ClTc06RF

ThaVirus
02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
It was 80 degrees here in Orlandooooooo today.. Just sayin'.

KingPriest2
02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Also a tent collapsed at Cotton Stadium today

KingPriest2
02-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Fair Park Super Bowl Event Tent Collapses
Published : Tuesday, 01 Feb 2011, 1:00 PM CST

By Kevin Boie | MYFOXDFW.COM

DALLAS - A giant tent at Fair Park meant to house Super Bowl -related events has collapsed because of today's winter storm.

The weight of snow and ice on the giant structure inside the Cotton Bowl caused half of it to collapse some time Tuesday morning.

The venue was scheduled to house three nights of concerts collectively called XLV Party, featuring Duran Duran, the Village People, and more.

"We are currently removing the excess weight and will be rebuilding the tent first thing tomorrow," said Ariana Hajibashi of Adastra Public Relations.

Multiple events are scheduled all over Fair Park this week, including a party hosted by P. Diddy.

Stay tuned to myfoxdfw.com and FOX 4 News for more information.

DJJasonp
02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Somebody got paid.....big time....as it relates to the NY superbowl!

Brock
02-01-2011, 07:28 PM
If you can have a SB in Detroit, you can have it anywhere.

jspchief
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
The real issue is Dallas isn't equipped to handle these ice storms, in spite of the fact that they are a yearly occurrence. They just dump shit tons of sand and the people still drive like f'n maniacs.

New York would know how to handle winter weather.

Thig Lyfe
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
The Super Bowl should be played in cold weather every year. New York should be the start of a trend: I want Super Bowls in New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Kansas City and Seattle. No roofs, bitter cold temperatures and hopefully snow. It would make for an intense, old school game and have the additional benefit of making media douchebags uncomfortable.

cardken
02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
The Super Bowl should be played in cold weather every year. New York should be the start of a trend: I want Super Bowls in New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Kansas City and Seattle. No roofs, bitter cold temperatures and hopefully snow. It would make for an intense, old school game and have the additional benefit of making media douchebags uncomfortable.

This. I've always been of the mind the Super Bowl should round robin to all NFL cities to give all fans in all cities a taste of the Super bowl festivities and flavor.

DTLB58
02-01-2011, 08:32 PM
The Super Bowl should be played at The Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California EVERY year.

Perfect weather (This Sunday's forecast Sunny 76) and it's the most picturesque scene in all of sports.

The biggest game of all should be played in perfect conditions IMO so that everyones skills are at their highest performing level and there are no excuses.

Also, perfect weather conditions are best for the fans coming to town for parties, shopping, travel, safety and the host town's economy.

There is nothing positive or good that comes from a SB week and game played in freezing cold, with sleet, ice and snow hampered with traffic problems.

Deberg_1990
02-01-2011, 08:36 PM
The Super Bowl should be played at The Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California EVERY year.

Perfect weather (This Sunday's forecast Sunny 76) and it's the most picturesque scene in all of sports.

The biggest game of all should be played in perfect conditions IMO so that everyones skills are at their highest performing level and there are no excuses.

Also, perfect weather conditions are best for the fans coming to town for parties, shopping, travel, safety and the host town's economy.

There is nothing positive or good that comes from a SB week and game played in freezing cold, with sleet, ice and snow hampered with traffic problems.

The game will be played in Dallas indoors in perfect weather conditions. Its a retractable roof.

Also, it will warm up by the weekend.

Brock
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM

Yeah, great, as long as that city is Pasadena, right?

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Fair Park Super Bowl Event Tent Collapses
Published : Tuesday, 01 Feb 2011, 1:00 PM CST

By Kevin Boie | MYFOXDFW.COM

DALLAS - A giant tent at Fair Park meant to house Super Bowl -related events has collapsed because of today's winter storm.

The weight of snow and ice on the giant structure inside the Cotton Bowl caused half of it to collapse some time Tuesday morning.

The venue was scheduled to house three nights of concerts collectively called XLV Party, featuring Duran Duran, the Village People, and more.

"We are currently removing the excess weight and will be rebuilding the tent first thing tomorrow," said Ariana Hajibashi of Adastra Public Relations.

Multiple events are scheduled all over Fair Park this week, including a party hosted by P. Diddy.

Stay tuned to myfoxdfw.com and FOX 4 News for more information.
And this is a bad thing?

Pioli Zombie
02-02-2011, 05:55 AM
They should have it in KC. There's a lovely Dennys over there off I-70. There's plenty to do all around the stadium. People could take a stroll to the Young Christian Athletes building. Take a tour of the Zoo in the snow. Shop at Bannister Mall. It would be ideal.

blaise
02-02-2011, 06:16 AM
I live near Dallas now. It's funny to see some of these people. They must be under the impression that the SUV or 4 wheel drive pickup they bought means they can just drive on the streets like they're magic. I've seen a whole bunch sitting in ditches.

Mile High Mania
02-02-2011, 06:20 AM
I live near Dallas now. It's funny to see some of these people. They must be under the impression that the SUV or 4 wheel drive pickup they bought means they can just drive on the streets like they're magic. I've seen a whole bunch sitting in ditches.

Yep and what we have now is ICE and that stuff is just nasty, especially with all the overpasses. I've lived here for nearly 20 years and I continue to be amazed at how poorly people choose to drive.

I wonder what 190 and the more heavily traveled roads are like today... debating leaving the warm home office in east Plano for Irving.

Mile High Mania
02-02-2011, 06:22 AM
I haven't read about any logistical nightmares just yet for the SB events, but I'm sure the ICE isn't helping. A major problem they have here is that everything is so spread out... from Ft Worth, to downtown Dallas and all points in between. It's a pain traveling to and from all of those places in normal weather during the day.

chiefzilla1501
02-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Oh, wah wah wahhhhhhhh.

Football was meant to be played in the elements. It's New York. Guess what, no matter what the weather, they're going to pull in a lot of money. Because it's New York. The same would apply to Chicago. Lots of other cold weather cities.

Some teams are built for the cold. Others are built for turf. Unfortunately, one of those teams gets to have "homefield advantage" in the Super Bowl and the other doesn't.

Los Pollos Hermanos
02-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Also a tent collapsed at Cotton Stadium today

Cotton Stadium.. lol

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
South Florida to NFL: Enjoy your Super Bowls on ice!

Wintry climes should have big game begging to return here
Michael Mayo
Sun Sentinel Columnist

To: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, team owners, league sponsors and fans

Re: Super Bowls

So, miss us yet?

Don't know if you've checked the forecast here, but I had to crank up my A/C on Wednesday and I've got my weekend tee time set.

As for your upcoming Super Bowl sites, I see that you're skidding through an ice storm in Dallas/Arlington (host of Sunday's big game), that Indianapolis (2012) will have a high of 17 degrees Thursday, that New Orleans (2013) is barely above freezing and that New York/New Jersey (site of the 2014 game — outdoors!) is having their bazillionth storm this winter.

"Here's me: 81 degrees, no snow, no ice, no shovels — and no Super Bowls," said Nicki Grossman, head of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention and Visitors Bureau. "What's wrong with this picture?"

Said Rodney Barreto, chairman of the South Florida Super Bowl Host Committee: "If I was planning the Super Bowl in New York, my knees would be shaking."

Not to mention teeth chattering, noses running and fingers turning blue.

South Florida is bidding for the 2015 Super Bowl, which will be awarded later this year.

Since we hosted the big game last year, there's been talk (or threats) that the NFL won't return unless public dollars fund major improvements to the Dolphins' stadium.

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee has been beating the drum again lately, pushing legislation that would allow bed-tax money in Broward and Miami-Dade counties to go toward the stadium, including a roof over the seats. The Broward County Commission strongly opposes the plan.

But even without stadium upgrades, I'd say our Super Bowl prospects have never looked sunnier.

"It's going to be five long, cold years for the NFL," Grossman said.

"Did you know the Dallas airport was closed [on Tuesday]?" Barreto said.

And the NFL had the nerve to complain about a little rain when the game was played here in 2007?

This Sunday's game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers will be played indoors at Jerry Jones' glitzy Cowboys Stadium, the climate-controlled, retractable-roofed palace that Arlington taxpayers subsidized.

But when the high-rollers and VIPs from both coasts and frozen fans from humble Green Bay and Pittsburgh come sliding into North Texas, what will they do all weekend leading up to the game?

Spread salt on the sidewalks in George W. Bush's neighborhood?

Eat frozen brisket on a stick?

Skate figure-8's on Dealey Plaza?

"This type of weather scenario beats stadium improvements any day," Grossman said. "You can't beat what we have as a selling point."

Lately, the NFL has been playing the stadium extortion game to the hilt, awarding Super Bowls to unlikely sites such as North Texas, Indianapolis and New York after suckers, I mean taxpayers, help out the local billionaire owners with new stadiums.

Meantime, perennial Super Bowl hosts such as South Florida (which has held 10), Tampa and Southern California have been left out in the cold.

"I understand we have to share the game," Grossman said. "I don't understand why we can't be in a natural rotation every four years. We have everything they're looking for."

Except frostbite.

We can only hope the NFL and its highfalutin minions freeze their tushes off these next few years.

"This is so much justice," said Mark Mariani, of Boca Raton, a former executive with Turner Broadcasting who negotiated contracts with the NFL and other sports leagues. "Your headline should be: Greed gets sacked."

Mariani said it's only a matter of time until the league's big corporate sponsors, the ones who shell out $15 million to $20 million annually and get 500 Super Bowl tickets to entertain clients, distributors and executives, get tired of frigid Super Bowls.

"In Florida you've got beach parties, golf tournaments, cruises up the Intracoastal, great shopping," Mariani said. "In Indianapolis, there's nothing to do."

And in wintry Dallas this week, events have been canceled and visitors have endured rolling blackouts at their hotels.

Meantime, the only ice I see is in my mojito.

Cheers NFL!

Hope to see you soon. We'll keep the A/C on for you.

But you really should pay for your own darn roof.

Michael Mayo can be reached at mmayo@SunSentinel.com or 954-356-4508. Read his blog online weekdays at sunsentinel.com/mayoblog.

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, I agree with one thing they said there. Having a Super Bowl in Indianapolis is retarded.

Cave Johnson
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Well, I agree with one thing they said there. Having a Super Bowl in Indianapolis is retarded.

Or Jax, for that matter.

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Or Jax, for that matter.

Oh, definitely. But I mean, having it in Indy is about like having it in Wichita.

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Or Jax, for that matter.

The SB in Jax was beyond stupid.

notorious
02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
100 million people watch the SB. 80,000 are at the stadium.

That's a huge .08% of the viewers.

Honestly, who gives a ****?

I will be watching the game in 70 degree comfort, too.

Cave Johnson
02-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I will be watching the game in 70 degree comfort, too.

Keep your thermostat at 70, eh Midas? ;)

Los Pollos Hermanos
02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm tired of hearing about this Super Bowl. Miami can have it.

notorious
02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Keep your thermostat at 70, eh Midas? ;)

Wife. When football is on, I do my best to keep her happy.

:D