PDA

View Full Version : News 100 Sled Dogs slaughtered just for kicks

Hog Farmer
02-01-2011, 08:14 PM
100 Sled Dogs Slaughtered by Canadian Outdoor Adventure Company

Published February 01, 2011

AP

Jan. 31: Sled dogs pull tourists during a tour run by Outdoor Adventures in the Soo Valley north of Whistler, British Columbia, Canada.
VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The 100 dogs were shot dead over two days after an expected post-Olympics boon in dogsledding business at an adventure company didn't pan out. Most died instantly, but others suffered -- like the one that ran away with its "face blown off and an eye hanging out."The gruesome event was described in documents awarding compensation to a worker, who claimed post-traumatic stress disorder for having to shoot the dogs after bookings dropped sharply for a tour operator following the 2010 Winter Olympics.

"He had to chase her down and finish her off," Marcie Moriarty, general manager of cruelty investigations for the B.C. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said of the wounded down that was run down and slain.

Moriarty said the slaughter left her sickened and said it is the worst investigation she's ever done. Both the British Columbia SPCA and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investigating the slaughter.

Moriarty said all the other dogs would have seen the incident in which the one dog did not die instantly from the single gunshot to the head and ran away from the worker.

"There aren't words to really describe some of the ways these dogs died," she said. "We don't put cows down like that. Slaughterhouses have very strict rules for how supposed culling takes place. This violated every one of them."

An employee of Outdoor Adventures Whistler was awarded compensation in a ruling by WorkSafe BC, the provincial body that manages workers' compensation claims. Outdoor Adventures did not contest the man's compensation claims.

The WorkSafe documents are confidential, but Moriarty has read them as part of the society's investigation.

Moriarty said it is likely the individual who will be facing charges and not the company.

"Obviously we would like to lay charges as soon as possible," she said. "We are looking at the particular individual. Whether the company is liable, I don't know. Morally, yes."

She said SPCA constables are in Whistler doing investigations. She said they are hoping to file charges without having to dig up the mass grave of dogs. "It's frozen and under feet of snow," she said.

Tourism Whistler has suspended reservations for the company while the investigation unfolds, spokeswoman Patricia Westerholm said. She said the mood in Whistler is sombre.

The WorkSafe documents were obtained by radio station CKNW. The station reported the man was attacked at least twice by nearby dogs as the shootings occurred. He was forced to slit the throat of one animal who jumped on top of him.

The name of the man who killed the dogs has not been released, but his lawyer, Cory Steinberg, told CKNW that it was "the worst experience (the man) could ever have imagined."

The documents reveal bookings for dog sled tours collapsed after the Olympics, and when the company could not find homes for its animals, it ordered the cull. The dogs, which were part of a pack of 300, were shot over two days last April.

"He was essentially told to figure out a way to make (the business) more cost-effective. They just had to have less dogs. So he did everything he could finding homes for them, having them adopted, every which way that he could," Steinberg said Monday.

Graham Aldcroft, a spokesman for the company, said Outdoor Adventures had a financial stake in a company called Howling Dogs in Whistler for four years, but operational control of Howling Dogs was with the worker referred to in the WorkSafe B.C. documents.

"While we were aware of the relocation and euthanization of dogs at Howling Dog Tours, we were completely unaware of the details of the incident until reading the ... document Sunday," Aldcroft said in the statement.

Outdoor Adventures took over control of Howling Dogs in May, Aldcroft said. He said it is now company policy that animals needing to be euthanized are treated at a veterinarian's office.

Rich Bittner, the operator of Howling Dogs in Canmore, Alberta, said he sold his 50 percent interest in the Whistler operation in 2004 to a man named Bob Fawcett. He said the Whistler tour operator was supposed to change the name because Howling Dogs was no longer involved.

An online site offering support to people suffering post-traumatic stress disorder includes several postings made under the name of Bob Fawcett. It could not be immediately determined if these postings were made by the man who bought the dogsled tour company in 2004.

Dogsled tour operators in the tight-knit mushing community in British Columbia expressed outrage over the killings. Several operators said they routinely adopt dogs from other companies, but were not asked to take any from Whistler in early 2010.

Tim Tedford, who runs dog sled tours in the Big White area, near Kelowna, said, "That behavior doesn't sound like a real musher."

"Most mushers love their dogs. That sounds more like an accountant to me. Most mushers would starve themselves before they'd ever neglect their dogs," he said.

Following revelations of the slaughter, the Vancouver Humane Society on Monday called for a ban on the sled-dog tour business.

ArrowheadHawk
02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Vick?

jspchief
02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Vick?He used the CFL to get back into football shape after prison. Coincidence?

kstater
02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
It's a government conspiracy to test GPS devices in bullets/Ari

Buehler445
02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Damn. That sucks. I couldn't even think about killing dogs like that.

jspchief
02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
It's what they're bred to do. They like it

/Mohillbilly

salame
02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
shit

JD10367
02-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Prosecute everyone and anyone you can, and put the fucking company out of business. Any company that does that doesn't deserve to prosper. This is the 21st century, for crissakes. If they put the word out publicly that these dogs needed homes or faced death, I bet most would've been taken. And the ones that didn't would have been put down humanely. And we call THEM the animals; it's humanity that are animals. I swear, stories like this make me hope the freakin' Mayans were right.

Bowser
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
That's all kinds of fucked up.

BigMeatballDave
02-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Wow. This makes Vick look like a poster boy for PETA.

DA_T_84
02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah, that's fucked.

doomy3
02-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Unreal.

Hog Farmer
02-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Prosecute everyone and anyone you can, and put the ****ing company out of business. Any company that does that doesn't deserve to prosper. This is the 21st century, for crissakes. If they put the word out publicly that these dogs needed homes or faced death, I bet most would've been taken. And the ones that didn't would have been put down humanely. And we call THEM the animals; it's humanity that are animals. I swear, stories like this make me hope the freakin' Mayans were right.

You mean you hope the world ends in 2012? Wow. Over some dead dogs. what about all the starving children in Ethiopia ? That doesn't bother you????

LiveSteam
02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
More fur murder

kysirsoze
02-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Did this guy think he could sue for trauma without exposing himself to criminal liability? I guess he's a moron in addition to being a piece of shit.

Over-Head
02-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Did this guy think he could sue for trauma without exposing himself to criminal liability? I guess he's a moron in addition to being a piece of shit. Happened in BC, he's was probably higher than I am :D

rockymtnchief
02-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Love me some sleddin' dogs. They love to see you, run, and eat. That's all they ask for. I hope these pricks fry!
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v648/214/124/789199804/n789199804_1442929_298233.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Can we blow their fucking faces off, leaving their eyes hanging from the sockets?

Count Zarth
02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Evil fucking exists.

If someone asked me to shoot a dog I would resign on the spot, and call the cops.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Evil fucking exists.

If someone asked me to shoot a dog I would resign on the spot, and call the cops.

I think the first thing I might do is expend a round in their fucking kneecap.

SNR
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
So what was the guy's justification for this? His business failed and he didn't know what to do with that many dogs?

kysirsoze
02-01-2011, 09:41 PM
So what was the guy's justification for this? His business failed and he didn't know what to do with that many dogs?

I think that's it. If he was running low on dog food I would have suggested sacrificing himself.

suzzer99
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Yes this is absolutely horrible, but "just for kicks" in the thread title is a little misleading.

rockymtnchief
02-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Sadly, if done right, it's not that expensive to feed sled dogs.

My friend runs about 25 dogs and feeds them very well on a blend of organs, fat, and tissues that butchers save for him and he blends together. The parts that most North Americans discard. Then each get around a cup of special dog food. The dogs love it, the butcher doesn't waste anything and my friend saves money. Win-win-win.

kysirsoze
02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
I was thinking about this and how in the fuck was this guy awarded anything for being traumatized. If someone had to shoot one dog and was horrified afterwards at what he had done, I could maybe get my mind around it. This guy spent two days murdering 100 fucking dogs. This guy killed 50 fucking dogs, went home and went to sleep, got up, had a nice breakfast, went back to work.... AND SHOT 50 MORE DOGS IN THE FACE. Then he decided he was going to cash in on his own mindblowing evil by suing the company he worked for. This guy belongs in a fucking Hannibal Lector cell.

RedNFeisty
02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
That's a sad story, what a screwed up pecker head.

Bump
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
a lot of CP members here would have enjoying partaking in that.

CHENZ A!
02-01-2011, 10:56 PM

eat shit motherfucker

SNR
02-02-2011, 12:47 AM
I think that's it. If he was running low on dog food I would have suggested sacrificing himself.God, that's messed up. Also, something tells me these dogs weren't exactly loved and cared for the way they should have been when the business was active. There were 100 of them.

listopencil
02-02-2011, 12:53 AM

lolwut?

salame
02-02-2011, 01:46 AM
stupid canadian rednecks

Over-Head
02-02-2011, 05:03 AM
Go suck on a hand gernade while getting butt humped with a cattel prod you rotten piece of garbage

Over-Head
02-02-2011, 05:06 AM
stupid canadian snownecks FYP
And YES, as one of the few resident Canucks around Cp I can say that!! LMAO

Hog Farmer
02-02-2011, 05:07 AM
I just wonder what type gun he used. Usually to blow a dogs face off you have to hit them in the back of the head from a little distance with something like a .204 or 22-250.

Molitoth
02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
I hope these f*ckers suffer!!! I would've adopted one of these dogs.

notorious
02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Did this guy think he could sue for trauma without exposing himself to criminal liability? I guess he's a moron in addition to being a piece of shit.

I was thinking the same thing.

Iowanian
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM
They probably should have just taken them to the edge of town or near a hog farm and dumped them out to live free and happy in nature like so many other animal lovers tend to do.

Hog Farmer
02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
They probably should have just taken them to the edge of town or near a hog farm and dumped them out to live free and happy in nature like so many other animal lovers tend to do.

Hehe. Yep.

notorious
02-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Damnit, I can't help but think about this movie:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjExMjAwNzE0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDY4NDk2._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Mr. Laz
02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
people are fucked up

jrowe
02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
While I don't agree entirely with the decision to shoot the sled dogs, for the people criticizing the decision, what other options did the company have?

They are work dogs. In addition to being fed, they HAVE to be worked regularly. If not, they will become unmanageable. These are not your neighbors Husky that has been kept as a pet. These are dogs that have to be staked apart with chains every night so they don't kill each other. They are incredibly high strung, competitive and energetic. They really can't be transitioned to just being pets. Apparently, attempts were made to do so.

So, now you have 100 dogs that you have no use for, can't afford, don't have the manpower to care for, can't find homes for, and can't be made into pets. If you let them go into the wild, they become a danger to any people around them and may devastate local wildlife or simply die if they can't survive.

So, what do you do? I think the best answer is to have the put to sleep humanely, but it's certainly a tough situation.

Iowanian
02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
It's still a beautiful place, even during a traffic jam

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzJaxhfnwDjcWc_GymbDPzBV0UCNe5UwiEFQY7-QhMBb4Ar3bIsg

Brock
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
So, what do you do? I think the best answer is to have the put to sleep humanely, but it's certainly a tough situation.

After all that, you arrived at what people were bothered by to begin with.

DaFace
02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
While I don't agree entirely with the decision to shoot the sled dogs, for the people criticizing the decision, what other options did the company have?

They are work dogs. In addition to being fed, they HAVE to be worked regularly. If not, they will become unmanageable. These are not your neighbors Husky that has been kept as a pet. These are dogs that have to be staked apart with chains every night so they don't kill each other. They are incredibly high strung, competitive and energetic. They really can't be transitioned to just being pets. Apparently, attempts were made to do so.

So, now you have 100 dogs that you have no use for, can't afford, don't have the manpower to care for, can't find homes for, and can't be made into pets. If you let them go into the wild, they become a danger to any people around them and may devastate local wildlife or simply die if they can't survive.

:spock: That's kind of the point.