PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports BR: Syracuse Point-Shaving Scandal: Is There Any Truth to the Rumors?

WebGem
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/593981-national-signing-day-2011-super-bowl-xlv-tom-brady-and-wednesdays-sports-news/entry/46267-syracuse-point-shaving-scandal-is-there-any-truth-to-the-rumors

Syracuse Point-Shaving Scandal: Is There Any Truth to the Rumors?
By Adam Wells (Featured Columnist) on February 2, 2011

Syracuse started the 2010-11 season strong. They were 18-0 and looked like one of the best teams in the country. Four games later the Orange are 18-4 and the team is scrambling for answers.

One interesting note to come from the current four-game losing streak is that there are now rumors of a point shaving scandal. The rumors were started on gambling website PocketFives.com, suggesting that some players on the team were shaving points. That post has since been removed, though, casting serious doubt on the legitimacy of the allegations.

The key player mentioned in the scandal was Scoop Jardine. He addressed the rumors on his Twitter page, which is always a smart idea. Among the tweets he posted was one that read, "I love the game itself to much would never jeopardize everything i work so hard for with something like that! I play this game for free!!"

There is no evidence right now to suggest that there is anything wrong going on. It just looks like a case of some angry Syracuse fans and/or detractors trying to find some reason for the team's sudden struggles. Still, it's a situation that is worth keeping an eye on as we move forward, especially if Syracuse keeps on losing games the way it has been lately.

Jim Boeheim is one of the best coaches in college basketball history, and he's one of the classiest as well. If he had any reason to believe that his players were doing anything detrimental to the team and the game, he would dismiss them immediately.

The story about the scandal, as reported on larrybrownsports.com, can be found here (http://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/scoop-jardine-makes-syracuse-point-shaving-rumors-worse-by-responding/50515).

I personally don't think this is anything at all, but I think it's really weird that a Jardine addressed the situation on Twitter. I think that makes it a lot more interesting. I have watched probably 25% of the Syracuse games this year though and they never deserved to be ranked #3 or anywhere near that high. They just aren't that good of a team.

KCFalcon59
02-02-2011, 10:38 AM
No Way!!!! You have got to be kidding me!!!!! I just can't believe it!!!!

Jim Boeheim... Classy?????? Get the fuck out of here. I hate that guy!!!

WebGem
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
No Way!!!! You have got to be kidding me!!!!! I just can't believe it!!!!

Jim Boeheim... Classy?????? Get the **** out of here. I hate that guy!!!

How the hell is Boeheim not classy?