PDA

View Full Version : Life Desperately Needing Work

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
As many of you know, I had accepted a job to move to Texas but it fell through at the last minute. I have been desperately trying to find work since last Oct, but to no avail. If any one knows of anything please keep me in mind. As long as it's legal I don't care what it is.

I don't normally ask this but if anyone feels like throwing up a prayer for me I could sure use it. Thanks CP

Pawnmower
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Good luck brother...

If you lived closer , I could throw a little bit of work next week your way......But I am super far away (California)....

I am sending a little prayer your direction..

Bowser
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Are you looking for a specific pay grade/hours? There are warehouse jobs and such to be had out there.

Times are tough, man. Good luck.

Pants
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you could get a job at a local UPS warehouse or a grocery store or a fast food joint if things are getting that bad, no? Either way, I wish you good luck in your search!

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Are you looking for a specific pay grade/hours? There are warehouse jobs and such to be had out there.

Times are tough, man. Good luck.

At this point I'll take anything. I have applied for warehouse positions but never hear anything back. Granted, outside of the military I don't have much experience in that environment but I would work my but off if given a chance. It seems like these companies consider me overqualified and won't even give me a second look.

AndChiefs
02-02-2011, 04:29 PM
At this point I'll take anything. I have applied for warehouse positions but never hear anything back. Granted, outside of the military I don't have much experience in that environment but I would work my but off if given a chance. It seems like these companies consider me overqualified and won't even give me a second look.

I know the feeling man...I'm either over-qualified or under-qualified but not getting any interviews either way.

Pants
02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Start applying for federal positions?

bevischief
02-02-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241130

Bowser
02-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Start applying for federal positions?

A good idea. Check with the IRS. They are forever needing manpower this time of year.

WV
02-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Is going back in the Military an option?

Mr. Laz
02-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Have you thought about stopping by your local post office and seeing if they need any mail sorters or carriers? Just a suggestion.

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
I know the feeling man...I'm either over-qualified or under-qualified but not getting any interviews either way.

I don't know what to do anymore. I interviewed for a long term contract position with a local Law Firm the last week of Dec. I was offered and accepted the job but it didn't start until the 2nd week of Feb. I did their background check "not the contractor companies" last Friday and I failed there credit check. Hello!! I have been laid off for a year and a half. Yes my Credit Sucks! It's a catch 22

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Is going back in the Military an option?

I'm to old. I checked into it.

Fritz88
02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Good luck.

WV
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm to old. I checked into it.

Damn that sucks.....hope you find something soon.

acesn8s
02-02-2011, 04:44 PM
I have one of those warehouse jobs. I will trade anybody jobs. Just as long as I make the same or more.

BigRichard
02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't know what to do anymore. I interviewed for a long term contract position with a local Law Firm the last week of Dec. I was offered and accepted the job but it didn't start until the 2nd week of Feb. I did their background check "not the contractor companies" last Friday and I failed there credit check. Hello!! I have been laid off for a year and a half. Yes my Credit Sucks! It's a catch 22

This is such bullshit. I thought they were talking about a law to stop this bullshit on the credit checks?

bevischief
02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Good luck.

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I have one of those warehouse jobs. I will trade anybody jobs. Just as long as I make the same or more.

Any job openings?

DRU
02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
You think you could sell some basic web site packages if I trained you on what they provide and their advantages, etc? It'd be commission only but I can offer you plenty of print material that covers the product as well as a list of targeted leads that could benefit from our packages.

Rain Man
02-02-2011, 04:58 PM
What is your normal occupation? What do you think you're well qualified to do?

acesn8s
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Any job openings?sent PM

Gracie Dean
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
where do you live? Where are you willing to live? What kinds of things do you do

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
What is your normal occupation? What do you think you're well qualified to do?

IT Desktop Hardware / Software, Network, Help Desk Support. Two of the bigger companies I have worked for are Sprint and IBM.

acesn8s
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
You think you could sell some basic web site packages if I trained you on what they provide and their advantages, etc? It'd be commission only but I can offer you plenty of print material that covers the product as well as a list of targeted leads that could benefit from our packages.What's the income potential? Is it possible to do as a part time gig (i.e. keeping my crappy job until established)?

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
sent PM

Thank You

acesn8s
02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
IT Desktop Hardware / Software, Network, Help Desk Support. Two of the bigger companies I have worked for are Sprint and IBM.So, you are a geek?

stevieray
02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
you and me both, brother. worst it's ever been...and for the first time.. I'm kinda worried about it.

.....good luck in your search!

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 05:07 PM
where do you live? Where are you willing to live? What kinds of things do you do

I live in N KC. I would be open to moving if I could make it work. I have mostly done IT support work. DSS, Help Desk, Phone support "VOIP / PBX, Server, Active Directory. Most of the big Database ticketing systems. I can shoot you my resume if you would like to take a look.

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
So, you are a geek?

I guess :/

AndChiefs
02-02-2011, 05:09 PM

That's ridiculous man...Hopefully someone's able to help you out.

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
you and me both, brother. worst it's ever been...and for the first time.. I'm kinda worried about it.

.....good luck in your search!

Thanks.... Good luck to you to man.

I hate to say it, but I'm past worried. For the first time in my life I'm actually afraid I'm not going to be able to make it.

charlesjones
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
good luck bro, you'll find something

luv
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
This is such bullshit. I thought they were talking about a law to stop this bullshit on the credit checks?

Still using it here. I just had a repo put on my record thanks to an ex (and my own stupidity). I have had one interview. I don't know if it's the fact that I was making $42k at my old job, and most jobs out there start at $23k-25k. During my one and only interview, they even asked me if I was willing to take such a big pay cut. Uh, YES. I want a job. I wouldn't have applied otherwise. I figure it's either that or my credit.

Checking credit makes no sense to me either. Maybe they started using it as another determining factor to weed out more applicants. A classmate of mine said she heard that, "If they don't have good credit, then they need more money. If they need more money, then they are more likely to steal from the company." Hello? You do also do a criminal check, right?

Ugh.

Disclaimer: Please don't yell at me for complaining. I know there are several out there with worse situations than mine who have been out of work longer than me. Sometimes, you just need to vent.

Gracie Dean
02-02-2011, 05:23 PM

I hate to say it, but I'm past worried. For the first time in my life I'm actually afraid I'm not going to be able to make it.

Sent you a PM ...check it out

Valiant
02-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Yeah that sucks.. One of the reasons I got my interview for the job I had now was because I was working.. It was a crummy contract job, but a job and that is all they care about it..

Valiant
02-02-2011, 05:30 PM

I can ask a buddy at BB in Liberty if they are hiring anyone if you want??

Also, have you ever thought of serving.. They can make good money and mostly tax free depending on your boss..

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I can ask a buddy at BB in Liberty if they are hiring anyone if you want??

Also, have you ever thought of serving.. They can make good money and mostly tax free depending on your boss..

What is BB? I'm honestly open to just about anything. Serving? Do you mean as a waiter? I wonder if they would hire someone my age

The God Hypothesis
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I have hired some 40 people here in KC to work in a decent paying retail environment. If you send me a pm with a resume and give me quick rundown of your honest to goodness skill set pertaining to people skills I can definitely get you an interview. Are you on linked in with a picture and resume uploaded?

These days it's not what you know but who you know. Working on the network is everything for job security.

Btw I'm sure BB means Best Buy.

MahiMike
02-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I read somewhere that Oklahoma and Washington DC had lowest unemployment rates. Also, little towns in states like Montana and the Dakotas are paying people to move there.

jd1020
02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Have you looked into security positions? A friend of mine was a marine and is now banking 60k a year as a security guard for a power plant. You can only get the position if you've been in the military or law enforcement.

CrazyPhuD
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Still using it here. I just had a repo put on my record thanks to an ex (and my own stupidity). I have had one interview. I don't know if it's the fact that I was making $42k at my old job, and most jobs out there start at $23k-25k. During my one and only interview, they even asked me if I was willing to take such a big pay cut. Uh, YES. I want a job. I wouldn't have applied otherwise. I figure it's either that or my credit.

Checking credit makes no sense to me either. Maybe they started using it as another determining factor to weed out more applicants. A classmate of mine said she heard that, "If they don't have good credit, then they need more money. If they need more money, then they are more likely to steal from the company." Hello? You do also do a criminal check, right?

Ugh.

Disclaimer: Please don't yell at me for complaining. I know there are several out there with worse situations than mine who have been out of work longer than me. Sometimes, you just need to vent.

From an employer's point of view hiring someone who takes a big pay cut is just asking for them to leave when times get better. Do you want to train someone only to have to train someone new in 6 months? That's usually why it can be really hard to get something if you are overqualified. There of course are exceptions but that's what is going to be going through their heads.

beach tribe
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Are you a felon or someting?
I have a job, and had another one a week after I decided I wanted to work two again.

I just went to one of those temp/placement agencies, and they got me another bartending job in no time, and bartending is not even in their list of jobs they place for. I'm sure there is a man power or some kind of temp trial with possible permanent placement options around there somewhere.

Superturtle
02-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I have a job, and had another one a week after I decided I wanted to work two again.

I just went to one of those temp/placement agencies, and they got me another bartending job in no time, and bartending is not even in their list of jobs they place for. I'm sure there is a man power or some kind of temp trial with possible permanent placement options around there somewhere.
Temp employment sucks pretty badly though. In new york, you dont even get minimum wage sometimes, and its only for 90 days.

R8RFAN
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
As many of you know, I had accepted a job to move to Texas but it fell through at the last minute. I have been desperately trying to find work since last Oct, but to no avail. If any one knows of anything please keep me in mind. As long as it's legal I don't care what it is.

I don't normally ask this but if anyone feels like throwing up a prayer for me I could sure use it. Thanks CP

Go to the LTL trucking companies like fedex conway estes etc and try to get a job working on the dock

luv
02-02-2011, 05:49 PM
From an employer's point of view hiring someone who takes a big pay cut is just asking for them to leave when times get better. Do you want to train someone only to have to train someone new in 6 months? That's usually why it can be really hard to get something if you are overqualified. There of course are exceptions but that's what is going to be going through their heads.

My old salary was based upon nearly 12 years of seniority raises, performance raises, promotions, etc. I don't have the education required to go in and demand $40k/year. My work experience is pretty limited. I mean, I now have customer service, managerial, and office experience. But nothing specific enough to put me above another applicant. I will be done getting m legal assistant certificate in July. My unemployment will run out a little before that, though. Hoping for the best though.

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 06:20 PM

No I'm not a felon... The only thing I can think of is that I'm overqualified for those types of positions. I would gladly take a service center position or a manpower type gig. They won't even bother with me.

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I have hired some 40 people here in KC to work in a decent paying retail environment. If you send me a pm with a resume and give me quick rundown of your honest to goodness skill set pertaining to people skills I can definitely get you an interview. Are you on linked in with a picture and resume uploaded?

These days it's not what you know but who you know. Working on the network is everything for job security.

Btw I'm sure BB means Best Buy.

Sent you a response. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Bwana
02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Hmmm? I can keep my ear to the ground for you as well. I know there are a lot of guys going to work in the oil fields here in Montana and WY. Also, the unemployment is low around here, compared to most of the country.

Rain Man
02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Hmmm? I can keep my ear to the ground for you as well. I know there are a lot of guys going to work in the oil fields here in Montana and WY. Also, the unemployment is low around here, compared to most of the country.

Plus a lot of people probably freeze to death each winter up there.

Bwana
02-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Plus a lot of people probably freeze to death each winter up there.

Only if you lay out in a snow bank, naked.

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 08:07 PM

I really appreciate it Bwana. You wouldn't happen to know what the oil companies are would you. I had actually heard that business was booming up your way. Slate drilling... or something like that? I'll shoot you a PM with my email address.

Bwana
02-02-2011, 08:10 PM
I really appreciate it Bwana. You wouldn't happen to know what the oil companies are would you. I had actually heard that business was booming up your way. Slate drilling... or something like that? I'll shoot you a PM with my email address.

I don't, I deal primarily with mines and refineries on a daily basis. Other reps for the company, call on oil fields. I'm going to give them a call.

tarheel23
02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I read somewhere that Oklahoma and Washington DC had lowest unemployment rates. Also, little towns in states like Montana and the Dakotas are paying people to move there.

If oil continues to rise they will be begging for oilfield workers in western Oklahoma. They will even send you to a 60 day training school with pay. It is very hard work, but you can easily make 80k a year.

Valiant
02-02-2011, 08:44 PM
What is BB? I'm honestly open to just about anything. Serving? Do you mean as a waiter? I wonder if they would hire someone my age

BestBuy..

More establish places would rather have older people serving imo when I served..

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks to everyone.

rtmike
02-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Last I talked to my Father, the patch was booming in western Kansas. He hates the fact he's too old (62) cause he'd like to get back into it.

Also have a friend from NW North Dakota who said he had standing offers to go back there to work the patch. It's hard for him to leave his job in fiber optic that he's had for a decade or so.

I'm of no help up here in the NW part of the country but we can include you in prayer. Good luck man.

ArrowheadHawk
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Have you tried TEKsystems? thingamajob.com or something like that is their listings.

WebGem
02-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Good luck R&G.

WebGem
02-02-2011, 11:24 PM
If you find a job from CP you should donate 8% of your first 3 paychecks to the site IMO

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 11:40 PM
If you find a job from CP you should donate 8% of your first 3 paychecks to the site IMO

I'm not sure about the first 3 checks... Fairly certain they are spoken for, but CP deserves a donation regardless. I love this place

Demonpenz
02-02-2011, 11:42 PM
cerner?

WebGem
02-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure about the first 3 checks... Fairly certain they are spoken for, but CP deserves a donation regardless. I love this place

I wasn't totally serious, just a little.

Ebolapox
02-02-2011, 11:45 PM

I'd guess every dime is accounted for in his first three (and more) paychecks. when you're out of work that long, you're bound to be behind on multiple bills. give the dude a chance to catch up, brah.

R&GHomer
02-02-2011, 11:52 PM
cerner?

I can't seem to find an in. I've applied for a few positions but never heard anything back. I'm starting to think it's some kind of Cult like Garmin. Now I understand some of the frustrations when people would ask me how to get on with IBM :(

Buehler445
02-02-2011, 11:54 PM
I saw a sign on the highway for hayshasjobs.com. Nothing great there but some stuff is available.

The ag industry is pretty damn good right now. You might try a closeby fertilizer dealer. They seem to always need help. It will be time to haul anhydrous before too long.

If you're willing to get a CDL, I hear people are always looking for truck drivers.

All that is kind of outside what your experience is, but its the best I can do.
Posted via Mobile Device

R&GHomer
02-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Not to be sappy, but I can't express enough how much I honestly appreciate all the ideas and good will.

Time to shake off a disappointing day and start again. I have an interview tomorrow for a full time IT position with a Mortgage Bank in Overland Park. I was upfront and told them my Credit sucked and they still want to meet with me. I wasn't going to go, but "Never Give Up" right?

bevischief
02-03-2011, 07:28 AM
www.job-hunt.org

Dunit35
02-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Not to be sappy, but I can't express enough how much I honestly appreciate all the ideas and good will.

Time to shake off a disappointing day and start again. I have an interview tomorrow for a full time IT position with a Mortgage Bank in Overland Park. I was upfront and told them my Credit sucked and they still want to meet with me. I wasn't going to go, but "Never Give Up" right?

Good luck sir.

cookster50
02-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Maybe he should shave his legs?

ReynardMuldrake
02-03-2011, 08:47 AM

They withdrew the job offer because of a failed credit check? Holy shit man you got shafted.

kc rush
02-03-2011, 10:11 AM

Good luck man.

phisherman
02-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I can't seem to find an in. I've applied for a few positions but never heard anything back. I'm starting to think it's some kind of Cult like Garmin. Now I understand some of the frustrations when people would ask me how to get on with IBM :(

I hear people say that about Garmin frequently, but I got in there without any special connections. I also ran from there as quickly as possible, as their IT department is a little bit like watching a Marx Brothers movie.

AndChiefs
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I've posted this link each time I see someone looking for a job...and I've yet to hear anyone who looked at it...

http://www.aramark.com/Careers/

If you have experience working in the Military, there is a division of Aramark that sells exclusively to Law Enforcement/Military/ Security. There always seems to be a Sales Position open....

I don't have experience in the military but i'll take a look at them.

journeyscarab
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm job hunting as well. Looking for a business analyst / project management position in the KC area. I've had a couple of interviews but didn't get a second look due to not having all the requirements. Good luck Luv & R&G...something will come along.

BIG_DADDY
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I've posted this link each time I see someone looking for a job...and I've yet to hear anyone who looked at it...

http://www.aramark.com/Careers/

If you have experience working in the Military, there is a division of Aramark that sells exclusively to Law Enforcement/Military/ Security. There always seems to be a Sales Position open....

There is always a bunch of openings in sales. All you got to be is better than their worst guy which takes about as much skill as talking in general. All you gotta do is show up.

AndChiefs
02-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm job hunting as well. Looking for a business analyst / project management position in the KC area. I've had a couple of interviews but didn't get a second look due to not having all the requirements. Good luck Luv & R&G...something will come along.

Heh, that's similar to what I'm looking for as well.

journeyscarab
02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Heh, that's similar to what I'm looking for as well.

Really? Good luck. Have you noticed that "business analyst" means different things to different companies? It's crazy.

AndChiefs
02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Really? Good luck. Have you noticed that "business analyst" means different things to different companies? It's crazy.

Yes I have...some of the time I'm extremely qualified and then I'll look at another company and realize I have none of the experience or training necessary to be considered. It's weird how fluid job titles can be.

I've only been looking for about a month since I just graduated from college and still haven't gotten any interviews or call backs. Hopefully that turns around soon because I need an income.

Good luck to you as well, journey.

jjchieffan
02-03-2011, 01:05 PM
The company I work for is hiring. The pay is usually $1000/week or more depending on the project. Problem is that it requires a lot of travel. I have done projects replacing the network equipment and registers for Abercrombie, replacing computers in walmart pharmacies, and a network upgrade for best buy. If this interests you, let me know and I will hook you up with contact info and pu in a word for you with my boss.

dmahurin
02-03-2011, 01:41 PM
I work for crown center security and we are looking for a dispatcher. It will probably be overnight shift but starting pay shouldn't be less than 16 dollars an hour. Having military expierence will make up for not having security or dispatching experience. If you won't go stir crazy looking at cameras in a little room for hours on end it's not a bad gig.

Gracie Dean
02-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I know something will turn up soon!

R&GHomer
02-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I hear people say that about Garmin frequently, but I got in there without any special connections. I also ran from there as quickly as possible, as their IT department is a little bit like watching a Marx Brothers movie.

:) I've heard that too

R&GHomer
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
The company I work for is hiring. The pay is usually $1000/week or more depending on the project. Problem is that it requires a lot of travel. I have done projects replacing the network equipment and registers for Abercrombie, replacing computers in walmart pharmacies, and a network upgrade for best buy. If this interests you, let me know and I will hook you up with contact info and pu in a word for you with my boss.

I would be very interested. I did a lot of those type projects with IBM. We even setup those cashier less check out stands for walmart. Man that would be awesome! Could you shoot me a pm?

R&GHomer
02-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I work for crown center security and we are looking for a dispatcher. It will probably be overnight shift but starting pay shouldn't be less than 16 dollars an hour. Having military expierence will make up for not having security or dispatching experience. If you won't go stir crazy looking at cameras in a little room for hours on end it's not a bad gig.

I sent you pm. Thanks

R&GHomer
02-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I know something will turn up soon!

I hope so! Pretty Boxer by the way.

ChfsGrl4evr
02-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Good Luck!

KILLER_CLOWN
02-04-2011, 11:03 PM
KCPL is always hiring, and you CAN start around 60k/yr depending on how dangerous a position you want to be trained for. I hope you find something soon, prayer helps.

RedNFeisty
02-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Best of luck you to you!!

Gracie Dean
02-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I hope so! Pretty Boxer by the way.

thanks he is a lot of fun

B_Ambuehl
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Plenty of good payin oilfield work in north dakata. Pay is really good but oilfield schedules are considerably different than american norm. You're either busting ass 12 hours a day or you're off. You can find a lot of jobs where you're on for 10 days, off 5 or on for 2 weeks, off 7 etc. Pay is pretty good with overtime and all. If you're interested go here, register, and run a search:

http://www.jobsnd.com/

acesn8s
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
There is always a bunch of openings in sales. All you got to be is better than their worst guy which takes about as much skill as talking in general. All you gotta do is show up.Unless you are the worst guy. :(