PDA

View Full Version : Football Mitch Mustain arrested on drug charge

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=6083009

LOS ANGELES -- Former USC quarterback Mitch Mustain was arrested late Tuesday night on suspicion of selling prescription drugs.

Bail was originally set at $30,000 but lowered to $10,000 for the felony narcotics charge. Mustain has not paid bail and is still in jail, Los Angeles Police Department spokesperson Bruce Borihanh said.

The arrest occurred shortly after 8 p.m. PT Tuesday in the San Fernando Valley by the West Valley division of the LAPD, and Mustain was booked at the Van Nuys jail at 10:44 p.m.

Mustain, 22, was preparing for the upcoming NFL draft and had been on campus at USC to work out in the school's athletic facilities late last week. He started only one game in four seasons at USC, a 20-16 home loss to Notre Dame in November, after transferring from Arkansas in 2007.

The Arkansas native was one of the most sought-after high school players in history.

Mile High Mania
02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/nelson-muntz.jpg

Over-Head
02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
him and Todd Moranovich were pals I hear

WV
02-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Just glanced at the thread title and though this was about Dave Mustaine. :cuss:

eazyb81
02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Right 53 material.

chefsos
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Mustain has not paid bail and is still in jailWell, he's got no need to be in a hurry to get out, because he sure as hell isn't preparing for the draft anymore.

notorious
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Houston Nutt is smiling as we speak.

bevischief
02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Al Davis is smiling...:D

Ebolapox
02-02-2011, 06:56 PM
guess we can get him in the 8th round now. :p

chefsos
02-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, he did start one game at SC...

Ebolapox
02-02-2011, 06:59 PM
and he can punt.

Lzen
02-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I guess poison wasn't the cure.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
The dude was a dumb sonofabitch. He should have never left Arkansas, or if he did, not transfer to a place that already had the top QB recruit in the nation (*2) there.

notorious
02-02-2011, 07:21 PM
The dude was a dumb sonofabitch. He should have never left Arkansas, or if he did, not transfer to a place that already had the top QB recruit in the nation (*2) there.

On a recruiting trip to Ark, I was lucky enough to have the QB recruit and his family (that I was flew around) let me tag along. We sat down in Nutt's office and chatted.

A big question came up:

The family asked why Mustain left.

Nutt responded by telling the family that he couldn't comprehend why a freshman that started in the SEC would be unhappy, especially a freshman surrounded by that kind of talent.

Mitch's parents were evidently a HUGE pain in the ass.

NewChief
02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
On a recruiting trip to Ark, I was lucky enough to have the QB recruit and his family (that I was flew around) let me tag along. We sat down in Nutt's office and chatted.

A big question came up:

Nutt responded by telling the family that he couldn't comprehend why a freshman that started in the SEC would be unhappy, especially a freshman surrounded by that kind of talent.

He left because Nutt seized control if the offense from Malzahn. That being said, yes. His mom was a complete psycho.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-02-2011, 07:29 PM

A big question came up:

IIRC, they made his HS coach coming in as the OC part of the conditions of his signing there.

The stage parenting argument is probably right on point.

Over-Head
02-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Al Davis is smiling...:D »Ya know it! we`ll get teh kid for league min ;)

notorious
02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
He left because Nutt seized control if the offense from Malzahn. That being said, yes. His mom was a complete psycho.

Ya, I think we've had this conversation before.

With that said, Arkansas blew away the other programs that we visited.

NewChief
02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
IIRC, they made his HS coach coming in as the OC part of the conditions of his signing there.

The stage parenting argument is probably right on point.

Yeah. He was also undefeated in SEC play as a starter (I think) the. Nutt yanked him out of the blue midgame.

notorious
02-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Coach Lee impressed me the most. The guy knew EVERYTHING about QB's.

Fantastic.

NewChief
02-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Ya, I think we've had this conversation before.

With that said, Arkansas blew away the other programs that we visited.

His mom and the other Springdale recruits moms scheduled a closed door
Meeting with the freaking AD behind Nutt's back. Not exactly a way to make the coach happy.

NewChief
02-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Coach Lee impressed me the most. The guy knew EVERYTHING about QB's.

Fantastic.

He should. That guy has been around the block!

Tuckdaddy
02-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Idiot would have been the starter at Arkansas. Dumb ass move transfering to USC.

NewChief
02-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Idiot would have been the starter at Arkansas. Dumb ass move transfering to USC.

He should have bided his time and followed Malzahn to Tulsa. He would have gotten plenty of media attention and hype and would have been the star of the innovative offense he wanted to run.

stlchiefs
02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Really an unfortunate thing, the guy had all the talent and opportunities in the world. It will be interesting to see how things fall for him now.

Tribal Warfare
02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
him and Todd Moranovich were pals I hear

or Matt Jones

Demonpenz
02-02-2011, 11:45 PM
synphoney of destruction!

Boon
02-03-2011, 02:31 AM

A big question came up:

Kale?

Mr. Laz
02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Updated: February 3, 2011, 5:51 PM ET
Mitch Mustain avoids felony charge

Email (http://sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=6087930&title=Former%20USC%20QB%20Mustain%20not%20charged%20with%20felony&id=6087930)
Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=6087930&type=story)
Comments (http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/6087930)

<cite class="source"> By Pedro Moura
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/pedro-moura/) </cite>
LOS ANGELES -- Former USC (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/30/usc-trojans) quarterback Mitch Mustain (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=189757), arrested Tuesday night in Van Nuys on suspicion of selling prescription narcotics, will not be charged with a felony, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Thursday.
Mustain was arrested shortly after 8 p.m. PT Tuesday after allegedly selling a substance he passed off as Adderall to an undercover officer. But the substance sold was lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, similar to Adderall but not a controlled substance and thus not punishable as a felony.
He still could have been charged with a felony because he advertised the substance as Adderall, but prosecutors opted to send the case to the Los Angeles City Attorney's office and limit the charges to a possible misdemeanor.
"Given that Mustain has no record, and that this is his first contact with law enforcement, it is appropriate that it be referred to the City Attorney's Office for misdemeanor consideration," officials wrote in a charge evaluation form Thursday.
Mustain could be charged in the case as early as next week, Los Angeles City Attorney's Office spokesman Frank Mateljan said Thursday. Mateljan said he was unaware of the details of the minimum and maximum punishments for the misdemeanor charge.
Bail in the case was originally set at $30,000 but lowered to $10,000 midway through Wednesday. Mustain spent nearly one full day in the Van Nuys Jail before he was released shortly after 6 p.m. PT Wednesday.
Mustain, 22, was preparing for the upcoming NFL draft and had been on campus at USC to work out in the school's athletic facilities late last week. He started only one game in four seasons at USC, a 20-16 home loss to Notre Dame in November, after transferring from Arkansas in 2007.
The Arkansas native was one of the most sought-after high school players in history.
Pedro Moura is a columnist and reporter for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

<style>.mod-conversations .mod-content .altrows { border-top: 3px solid rgb(189, 189, 189); border-bottom: 3px solid rgb(189, 189, 189); padding: 2px 0px; clear: both; }</style>

Valiant
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Just glanced at the thread title and though this was about Dave Mustaine. :cuss:

I thought to and was like and this is surprising??

KCBOSS1
02-03-2011, 11:21 PM
A lot of the players were pretty upset at AR when they signed Mustain, Williams (WR), and the TE from Springdale because of the way that they came on board. Apparently Mustains parents were a huge pain. The joke at the time was that they started calling the program "Springdale South". I think that McFadden and a few other players put those guys in their place. What they should have done was above all, Keep Malzahn and let him run the offense. He is an offensive genius. I wish that guy would have come to KC to be OC (though I'm sure he's not NFL ready).

KCBOSS1
02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
In Mustaine's defense, he never lost a game that he started at Arkansas. I think he would have been outstanding, but who knows.

Darien25
02-04-2011, 05:18 AM
That 2005 Springdale team was pretty badass. My cousin was the starting RB and they were pretty much raping their opponents left and right. That entire team was just loaded with talent. I was working in Tulsa that year and the locals were stunned when Springdale throttled the almighty Jenks team. On the bad side of all of this, my aunt talked non-stop about the team every time I saw her and annoyed the crap out of me.

Simply Red
02-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Now was he one of the original members of Metallica, or did he join later?

notorious
02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Kale?

Check your PM.