PDA

View Full Version : Misc 13 Things Your Mail Carrier Won’t Tell You

Pages : [1] 2

luv
02-04-2011, 08:49 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/13-things-your-mail-carrier-won-t-tell-you-2445111/

1. Maybe your dog won’t bite you. But in 2009, 2,863 of us were bitten, an average of nine bites per delivery day. That’s why I wince when your Doberman comes flying out the door.

2. Remember this on Valentine’s Day: It takes our machines longer to read addresses on red envelopes (especially if they’re written in colored ink).

3. Why stand in line? At usps.com, you can buy stamps, place a hold on your mail, change your address, and apply for passports. We even offer free package pickup and free flat-rate envelopes and boxes, all delivered right to your doorstep.

4. Media Mail is a bargain, but most of you don’t know to ask for it. Sending ten pounds of books from New York City to San Francisco through Media Mail costs $5.89, compared with $16.77 for Parcel Post. Besides books, use it to send magazines, manuscripts, DVDs, and CDs; just don’t include anything else in the package.

5. We don’t get a penny of your tax dollars. Really. The sale of postage, products, and services at our 36,000 retail locations, and on our website, covers all of the post office's operating expenses.

6. UPS and FedEx charge you $10 or more for messing up an address. Us? Not a cent.

7. Paychecks, personal cards, letters—anything that looks like good news—I put those on top. Utility and credit card bills? They go under everything else.

8. Sorry if I seem like I’m in a hurry, but I’m under the gun: Our supervisors tell us when to leave, how many pieces of mail to deliver, and when we should aim to be back. Then some of us scan bar codes in mailboxes along our route so they can monitor our progress.

9. Yes, we do have to buy our own stamps, but a lot of us carry them for customers who need them. If we don’t charge you, that’s because we like you.

10. Use a ballpoint pen. Ink from those felt tips runs in the rain.

11. Please dress properly when you come to the door. A towel wrapped around you doesn’t cut it. And we definitely don’t want to see you in your underwear!

12. We serve 150 million addresses six days a week, so we’re often in the right place at the right time. We pull people out of burning cars, catch burglars in the act, and call 911 to report traffic accidents, dead bodies, and more.

13. Most of us don’t mind if you pull up to our trucks while we’re delivering and ask for your mail a little early. But please get out of your car and come get it. Don’t just put your hand out your window and wait for me to bring it to you.

"We don’t get a penny of your tax dollars. Really. The sale of postage, products, and services at our 36,000 retail locations, and on our website, covers all of the post office's operating expenses."

This is true. The post office is one of the (if not the only) government agencies that is 100% self-sufficient. They do not get tax dollars or money from the government. Whenever postage goes up, it's typically because the cost of technology used, gas, cost of benefits, or wages have gone up.

Anyway, I just thought I would share this. I know my dad has told me several of these, but I didn't know if everyone was aware.

notorious
02-04-2011, 08:53 AM
ummm, didn't they just tell everyone that the U.S. Postal service lost millions last year?

LiveSteam
02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
My child's mom is a mail carrier. She goes postal all the time. Fricken lunatic that one is

luv
02-04-2011, 08:56 AM
ummm, didn't they just tell everyone that the U.S. Postal service lost millions last year?

I believe that's why there have been talks of going to five day delivery instead of six. That would cut costs, but thousands would lose their jobs.

penguinz
02-04-2011, 08:56 AM
And UPS could have taken over USPS mail delivery and stamps would be cheaper today.

Count Zarth
02-04-2011, 08:57 AM
No kinky stories of daytime sex? Feh!

LiveSteam
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM

In 2009 they lost 19 billion or million parcels of mail,I read somewhere . & it was supposed to double this year. All lost to the internet

luv
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Dad had a local politician on one of his old routes. He stood there as his dog bit my dad. When my dad said something, he said his dog doesn't bite.

Went to dinner with dad and a coworker of his the other night. His coworker has been bitten three times. Can't remember how many times dad said he has over the course of over 25 years.

notorious
02-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I believe that's why there have been talks of going to five day delivery instead of six. That would cut costs, but thousands would lose their jobs.

:(

Good people, too.

I heard the first thing to go is satellite offices in oversaturated areas.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Oh, and the reason they don't tell you #13 is because, whenever they case their routes, they put their mail in a specific order (by how they deliver it). Whenever people stop to ask them, it takes time to look through it to find that person's specific mail. And they do have times they need to be back. If people call in, or they're understaffed for some reason, then they'll take a route and divide amongst a few carriers to get it delivered. So, if your mail is ever "late" that is probably why. Or if they just have someone else delivering that route for the day, then that carrier could do it in a different order than your normal carrier, which would affect delivery times.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Mailmen get paid great and receive great benefits to stuff letters in a box for a company that is inefficient and nearly obsolete. I wish I could be a full time mail carrier, those guys got it made.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Mailmen get paid great and receive great benefits to stuff letters in a box for a company that is inefficient and nearly obsolete. I wish I could be a full time mail carrier, those guys got it made.

Yeah, especially this time of year, huh?

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Washington's birthday coming up, another day off!

Brock
02-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Oh my gosh, they have to walk around when it's cold, how awful.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Washington's birthday coming up, another day off!

I get the day off from school too!

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:13 AM

I do make a point to shovel the area in front of my mailbox after luv brought that up several years ago.

Still jealous of postmen.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Have you walked 14 miles in a foot of snow?

notorious
02-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Exercise during work should be seen as a benefit. :D

Brock
02-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Both ways uphill?

Saulbadguy

In a row?

luv
My dad does have it easy as far as routes go though. He delivers to several of the medical buildings/clinics/hospitals. And the residential portion is driven. He's paid his dues though. Ice storms and bad winters, dog bites, etc. He's got it made now though.

Kerberos
02-04-2011, 09:18 AM

Exactly

The grass is always greener.

Don't get me wrong Saul, Postal workers do get paid well. But they also have to put up with 4 seasons of weather in most states and have to put up with people bitching about this, that and the other thing.

It would be the benefits and retirement that would make it worthwile for me too. I can work a shitty job inside and get the same benefits and retirement somewhere else. ;)

luv
02-04-2011, 09:18 AM
If you don't appreciate your mail service, maybe you could call and have all of our mail canceled, and request that everyone send you items via parcel service? I wonder if their employees are tested and put through several different background tests? Bowser?

phisherman
02-04-2011, 09:19 AM

you seem like a bitter guy sometimes.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Exactly

The grass is always greener.

Don't get me wrong Saul, Postal workers do get paid well. But they also have to put up with 4 seasons of weather in most states and have to put up with people bitching about this, that and the other thing.

It would be the benefits and retirement that would make it worthwile for me too. I can work a shitty job inside and get the same benefits and retirement somewhere else. ;)

Dad is three years away. He took 6 weeks off after a recent surgery, and he was fretting about it moving his retirement date back that much longer...lol.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:20 AM
If you don't appreciate your mail service, maybe you could call and have all of our mail canceled, and request that everyone send you items via parcel service? I wonder if their employees are tested and put through several different background tests? Bowser?

I would like all my items delivered via email.

Brock
02-04-2011, 09:21 AM
you seem like a bitter guy sometimes.

Just because he's bitter doesn't mean he isn't right. I understand why they get good pay and benefits, but let's not pretend that walking around outside is some kind of tough job.

notorious
02-04-2011, 09:21 AM
I honestly think some people are jealous of the Postal Worker.

They do their job and do it efficiently, unlike almost every other government department.

Pestilence
02-04-2011, 09:24 AM

90% of the shit I get is junk. If I could....I'd pay my mail carrier to just throw the shit away before it even hits my mailbox.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
They do their job and do it efficiently, unlike almost every other government department.

ROFL

luv
02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Just because he's bitter doesn't mean he isn't right. I understand why they get good pay and benefits, but let's not pretend that walking around outside is some kind of tough job.

I don't think it's that as much as it is that it's based solely on customer service. They have to handle all kinds of different personalities face-to-face. It's not the exercise, it's the dealing with dipshits while keeping a smile on their face.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
90% of the shit I get is junk. If I could....I'd pay my mail carrier to just throw the shit away before it even hits my mailbox.

That's actually a good idea. I'd tip my mailman if he would do that. Perhaps an intelligent mailbox system, which would only notify me to go outside to get my mail when I have legitimate mail.

Brock
02-04-2011, 09:26 AM
I don't think it's that as much as it is that it's based solely on customer service. They have to handle all kinds of different personalities face-to-face. It's not the exercise, it's the dealing with dipshits while keeping a smile on their face.

Well, lots of people do that for a lot less money.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:27 AM

I've never met a postal employee with a smile on their face.

Pestilence
02-04-2011, 09:27 AM

Welcome to ANY government job. I deal with dipshits on a daily basis....and that's not even counting this website.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Well, lots of people do that for a lot less money.

And deal with the elements, and handle items that may contain confidential information?

I know you're probably just argumentative because it's me who started the thread, just like Saul, so I'll quit responding.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Welcome to ANY government job. I deal with dipshits on a daily basis....and that's not even counting this website.

This. Except postal workers get really good benefits.

L.A. Chieffan
02-04-2011, 09:29 AM
i kinda liked the movie the postman. ill admit it

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:30 AM
And deal with the elements, and handle items that may contain confidential information?

I know you're probably just argumentative because it's me who started the thread, just like Saul, so I'll quit responding.

If anyone started a thread on the postal service, i'd provide the same replies. I clearly dislike the postal service.

Rain Man
Most people don't know this, but over 70 percent of postal carriers now are robots.

Pestilence

I'll give the mail carriers credit for dealing with the elements. I work in an office building.

But I handle items that contain confidential information on a daily basis.....so I can't give them credit for that.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Our fucking postal annex is open until 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. What. the. fuck. Who are they catering to, the unemployed? Plus our annex is useless. All it does is hold mail for you. I can't even call them and tell them to fucking deliver my shit because they have no clue where it is unless I physically go to their stupid office. Plus the guy is an asshole, and it's always him. I think he lives there or something.

You can't even buy stamps there, it's worthless.

Deberg_1990
02-04-2011, 09:32 AM
i kinda liked the movie the postman. ill admit it

Ride...Postman! Ride!!

Brock
02-04-2011, 09:33 AM

You're assigning way too much significance to yourself. I couldn't care less who started the thread. Walking around outdoors every day is a benefit, not a task. The rest of the job is just a job like any other.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I'll give the mail carriers credit for dealing with the elements.

I won't. Lots of people do that for much less pay.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:34 AM
I'll give the mail carriers credit for dealing with the elements. I work in an office building.

But I handle items that contain confidential information on a daily basis.....so I can't give them credit for that.

I really think people that deal with confidential information should get paid more. I worked with medical records. Handled them everyday. And we hired people off the street at just above minimum wage. We had to take a HIPAA test, but we got five tries to get 100%! Like the post office, I think anyone dealing with confidential information needs to go through several background checks, testing if necessary, drug tests, and get paid more for this.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I really think people that deal with confidential information should get paid more. I worked with medical records. Handled them everyday. And we hired people off the street at just above minimum wage. We had to take a HIPAA test, but we got five tries to get 100%! Like the post office, I think anyone dealing with confidential information needs to go through several background checks, testing if necessary, drug tests, and get paid more for this.

I don't. Stupid people don't know what to do with confidential information. If confidential information was available to someone with half a brain, they might figure out ways to use that information to their benefit. Stupid people will just drudge on throughout their day not taking advantage of the wealth of information at their fingertips, which is obviously advantageous.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-04-2011, 09:36 AM
You're assigning way too much significance to yourself. I couldn't care less who started the thread. Walking around outdoors every day is a benefit, not a task. The rest of the job is just a job like any other.

When I got home Tuesday and saw my mailman walking his route in the blizzard conditions, I felt bad for him. I had just stopped at Redbox and in the time it took to rent 2 movies my fingers were numb.

While Saul sat at home Tuesday and Wednesday because the State closed, my mailman was out walking through blizzard conditions and snow drifts.

Hardly a benefit.

-King-
02-04-2011, 09:37 AM
When I got home Tuesday and saw my mailman walking his route in the blizzard conditions, I felt bad for him. I had just stopped at Redbox and in the time it took to rent 2 movies my fingers were numb.

While Saul sat at home Tuesday and Wednesday because the State closed, my mailman was out walking through blizzard conditions and snow drifts.

Hardly a benefit.

And then they get to walk outside on beautiful spring/summer/fall days....

luv
02-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Hardly a benefit.

Wouldn't it be great someplace like California or Florida though? Except for the "mailman's tan" which is basically a form of the farmer's tan.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't it be great someplace like California or Florida though? Except for the "mailman's tan" which is basically a form of the farmer's tan.

Hell it would be great anywhere. We get blizzard like conditions for what, a couple weeks throughout the year, if that?

Brock
02-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Hardly a benefit.

So that one or two days out of the year that you might be walking in a snowstorm is tough? Jesus, don't ever work on a cattle ranch.

phisherman
02-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't. Stupid people don't know what to do with confidential information. If confidential information was available to someone with half a brain, they might figure out ways to use that information to their benefit. Stupid people will just drudge on throughout their day not taking advantage of the wealth of information at their fingertips, which is obviously advantageous.

so, now you're bitter AND you seem to have an over-inflated opinion of your own intelligence?

Baby Lee
02-04-2011, 09:42 AM
My mailman is the talkingest mofo on earth. Has a bluetooth in his ear and rambles on, so that you know the mail's coming when he opens his vehicle door.

phisherman
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Hell it would be great anywhere. We get blizzard like conditions for what, a couple weeks throughout the year, if that?

it sounds like you secretly WANT to be a mailman.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:44 AM
it sounds like you secretly WANT to be a mailman.

Secretly? I thought I made it clear that I think it would be awesome to be a mailman. Perhaps you are stupid enough to get a job handling confidential information.

I wish I could be a full time mail carrier, those guys got it made.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
How so? we've NEVER had sat or sun delivery up here, while the post office may be open for buisness, if it wernt sorted Friday, you'll get it monday, same as sending out. Drop off all ya want but after 3pm Friday, it'll sit in the box or building till Monday (non-express packages mind ya)

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
How so? we've NEVER had sat or sun delivery up here.

"Mail on a Sunday?"

"Whoops!"

Pestilence
You know who's got it made? Fucking garbage men.

phisherman
Secretly? I thought I made it clear that I think it would be awesome to be a mailman. Perhaps you are stupid enough to get a job handling confidential information.

good point. why don't you just become a full-time carrier then?

nope, not stupid enough to handle confidential info, though i do work in health care.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:48 AM
How so? we've NEVER had sat or sun delivery up here.

You wouldn't need any swing men. Letter carriers get every Sunday off, and the other day rotates (Monday one week, Tuesday the next week, and so on). The swing man has five different routes that he delivers, because he delivers different people's routes on their days off. Plus any part time weekend clerks wouldn't be needed.

Over-Head
02-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes actually I have, 214 newspapers every morning SEVEN days a week, for a a lot less than any post man ever made.
You ever carried 35 boxes of mud up 4 flights of staqirs that weigh 65lbs a pop?
Yeah my hart bleeds purple piss for em.
Great pay, great benifits, any and every friggen reasons to take a holiday you can think of.
Yepper...they got a hellish life :rolleyes:

Ugly Duck
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
postal workers get really good benefits.

Interesting note: Congress requires that the USPS fund both the retirement program and the health plan at 100%. USPS has over-funded the plans by $75 billion and they want it back. $75 billion is equal to a year’s income at the USPS. Congress has been adding the over-payment to the budget cuz it makes the deficit look smaller. They'll probably just keep taking the extra money until the deficit eases up.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Yes actually I have, 214 newspapers every morning SEVEN days a week, for a a lot less than any post man ever made.
You ever carried 35 boxes of mud up 4 flights of staqirs that weigh 65lbs a pop?
Great pay, great benifits, any and every friggen reasons to take a holiday you can think of.

Maybe you're in the wrong line of work?

Brock
02-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Maybe you're in the wrong line of work?

Well, you certainly are.

luv
02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
I guess I never realized so many people hate the post office. Oh well.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 10:01 AM

It's a necessary evil, unfortunately. I would much rather have all correspondence sent through e-mail.

Packages can go through UPS or FedEx. USPS is worthless when it comes to tracking packages compared to UPS/FedEx.

notorious
02-04-2011, 10:01 AM

I bet your boss offers great benefits. :D

-King-
02-04-2011, 10:02 AM
It's a necessary evil, unfortunately. I would much rather have all correspondence sent through e-mail.

Packages can go through UPS or FedEx. USPS is worthless when it comes to tracking packages compared to UPS/FedEx.

This.

dirk digler
02-04-2011, 10:02 AM

I didn't either. My dad worked for the post office for 30 years. I don't remember how long he delivered but his last 15 years or so he just worked on the counter.

And yes the post office has great benefits and I even considered joining when I was younger. Probably should have

luv
02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I didn't either. My dad worked for the post office for 30 years. I don't remember how long he delivered but his last 15 years or so he just worked on the counter.

And yes the post office has great benefits and I even considered joining when I was younger. Probably should have

I've taken the civil service exam twice. I got an 87. Dad said that might be good enough to get a job on a rural route somewhere in mid-Missouri, if I'm lucky.

Pestilence
02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Unfornately I have to deal with all of the Post Offices fuck ups in my office......so you can see why I can't stand them.

I don't have a grudge against the actual carriers though.

Coogs
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
4. Media Mail is a bargain, but most of you don’t know to ask for it. Sending ten pounds of books from New York City to San Francisco through Media Mail costs $5.89, compared with $16.77 for Parcel Post. Besides books, use it to send magazines, manuscripts, DVDs, and CDs; just don’t include anything else in the package.

Here is one I have never understood. So what if you include something else in the package. Who is going to know besides the person you mail it to?

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I've taken the civil service exam twice. I got an 87. Dad said that might be good enough to get a job on a rural route somewhere in mid-Missouri, if I'm lucky.

What's on the civil service exam? I vaguely remember hearing about it in the past, but didn't know that it still existed. What type of questions do they ask?

loochy
02-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I love how the post office consistently loses packages that I've sent. It's happened twice in the last month.

I've only had 1 ups lost package, and they actually tried to help me find it. The post office just blew me off. F U post office. I only use you for letters now. I don't care if you are cheaper.

DaFace
02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Here is one I have never understood. So what if you include something else in the package. Who is going to know besides the person you mail it to?

Any time I've done it, they've made me open up the package at the post office before accepting it.

dirk digler
02-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Is that out of 100?

luv
02-04-2011, 10:13 AM
What's on the civil service exam? I vaguely remember hearing about it in the past, but didn't know that it still existed. What type of questions do they ask?

Memory questions. You get so long to memorize four boxes that have three sets of address ranges in each. Then, you are given several addresses and you must say which box it would have been included in. No looking back.

Speed. You have a certain amount of time to go through and say whether the two addresses listed are the same or different.

Following orders. You just listen to the person giving the test, and do what they tell you to do (go to question 4 and mark D).

luv
02-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Is that out of 100?

Yep.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Yep.

How much does it cost to take it?

Coogs
02-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Any time I've done it, they've made me open up the package at the post office before accepting it.

I have never had that happen. And I do not do this often either. But I still don't see the harm in sending a note/letter inside the box with said package. :shrug:

phisherman

I got a similar score, somewhere in high 80's.

my dad was pissed. he worked for the postal service his entire adult life, though he only carried mail for 3-4 years back in the 60s.

the only reason that i wanted to work there was for the retirement. the benefits are/were OK, but I get equivalent benefits and better pay working where I currently do.

Predarat
No kinky stories of daytime sex? Feh!

I have a vid like that on my labtop, but there is no sound. Its actually kind of lame for pron.

luv
02-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I've heard that you don't have to have the civil service exam anymore. Just pass all of the background checks (federal, state, criminal, drug). However, you don't get benefits for a longer period of time, and you usually end up with either the grunt jobs that no one else wants, or the routes that no one else want if you deliver.

Yeah, you know the area of town you would never go in? That area.

phisherman
02-04-2011, 10:18 AM

I don't remember it costing anything.

luv
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM

It's been forever ago. If there was a cost, I don't recall what it was.

dirk digler
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Yep.

That score doesn't seem bad. So I take it you have to get a 95 or better to get considered.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Memory questions. You get so long to memorize four boxes that have three sets of address ranges in each. Then, you are given several addresses and you must say which box it would have been included in. No looking back.

Speed. You have a certain amount of time to go through and say whether the two addresses listed are the same or different.

Following orders. You just listen to the person giving the test, and do what they tell you to do (go to question 4 and mark D).

How interesting. I had no idea it was like that. I figured it was a bunch of questions about Tammany Hall and the succession order of the presidency and stuff.

luv
02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
That score doesn't seem bad. So I take it you have to get a 95 or better to get considered.

That's what dad said. He got a 95, plus 10 points for being a veteran.

Just think, if I had been a veteran, I'd probably be working at the post office.

luv
02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
How interesting. I had no idea it was like that. I figured it was a bunch of questions about Tammany Hall and the succession order of the presidency and stuff.

I'm not even sure what the technical name for it is. I've always just thought of it as the civil service exam. There might be different kinds, and this one is specific to the post office? I don't know.

Now I'm curious....

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
That's what dad said. He got a 95, plus 10 points for being a veteran.

Just think, if I had been a veteran, I'd probably be working at the post office.

Or during your two year hitch in the military you would've shown unusual promise and been hand-picked for a secret mission to kill bin Laden at his north Pakistan hideout, after which your success would have made you a legend in the top-secret special forces community and instead of working at the post office you'd now be traveling the world assassinating evildoers in their lairs in Belarus and Tajikistan and Myanmar, dining on monkey heads in remote jungle lairs and having torrid affairs with smoky-eyed spies posing as taxi drivers.

luv
02-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Looks like the exam is no longer required.

http://www.usps.com/employment/employrequirements.htm?from=employment&page=leftnav_employreqs

Employment Requirements
Want to Join the USPS team?
At USPS, our employees are our most valuable assets. For those who meet our employment requirements, we offer an outstanding compensation and benefits package. Below, you’ll find the eligibility requirements for USPS employment.

Age Requirement
18 years at the time of appointment or 16 years with a high school diploma.

Citizenship
Employees must be a United States citizen, a lawful permanent resident alien (i.e., possession of a “green card”), a citizen of American Samoa or any other territory owing permanent allegiance to the United States. Individuals solely granted asylum status, refugee status or conditional permanent resident status are not eligible for Postal Service employment.

Basic competency in English

Selective Service
Males born after 12/ 31/ 59 must be registered with the Selective Service System.

Employment History
Applicants must provide the names of their current employer and all previous employers for the 10-year period immediately preceding the date of application or to their 16th birthday, whichever is most recent.

Military Service
Military service is treated as prior employment. Veterans must indicate service and submit Copy 4 of the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.

Criminal Conviction History
A local criminal check is required prior to employment. A more extensive criminal history check is completed at employment.

Drug Screen
A qualification for postal employment is to be drug free, and is determined through a urinalysis drug screen.

Medical Assessment
A medical assessment is conducted to determine medical suitability for a specific position. It provides the selecting official with information about an applicant's ability to perform the functions of a particular job.

Safe Driving Record
A safe driving record is required for employees who drive at work (i. e., city carriers, motor vehicle operators, etc.).

DaFace
02-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I have never had that happen. And I do not do this often either. But I still don't see the harm in sending a note/letter inside the box with said package. :shrug:

I don't really get it either, honestly. My understanding is that media mail exists due to some ancient law that was aimed at getting people to read.

I can understand why they'd want to be pretty strict about it, though - people would undoubtedly take advantage of the system pretty badly if they didn't.

Mr. Laz
02-04-2011, 10:31 AM
And UPS could have taken over USPS mail delivery and stamps would be cheaper today.bullshit

mikeyis4dcats.
02-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't really get it either, honestly. My understanding is that media mail exists due to some ancient law that was aimed at getting people to read.

I can understand why they'd want to be pretty strict about it, though - people would undoubtedly take advantage of the system pretty badly if they didn't.

I've never had anyone balk at a little paperwork included with the media. They will not however allow you to mail a book and an alternator and call it good.

RubberSponge
02-04-2011, 10:37 AM
bullshit

Yeah, that was a pretty dumb thing to say. UPS or FedEx can't send a letter cross country for under 50 cents. And even if they could, they wouldn't.

Iowanian
02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
14. They know when you're getting porn and dildos in your "discrete packaging" and they laugh and tell the others at the shop.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I've never had anyone balk at a little paperwork included with the media. They will not however allow you to mail a book and an alternator and call it good.

What if you wrote an Emily Dickinson poem on the alternator?

mikeyis4dcats.
02-04-2011, 10:41 AM
What if you wrote an Emily Dickinson poem on the alternator?

LOL...maybe if it was calligraphy

luv
02-04-2011, 10:45 AM
14. They know when you're getting porn and dildos in your "discrete packaging" and they laugh and tell the others at the shop.

I'm glad my dad doesn't deliver my mail.

Wait. He works at the same office my mail comes out of. :doh!:

Iowanian
02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I ship items for work at least weekly that are non-regular shape. I can ship USPS for around $5, I had to use UPS around Christmas for the same items and it was $17 each.

In this case, USPS ftw and most of my clients receive their stuff next or 2nd day.

Okie_Apparition
02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Walk around in the rain, snow, and sleet and only make $22 an hour. Those poor, poor bastards.

kstater
02-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I hate the Post Office here. Don't know where "going postal" came from. Sumbitches are open from 9-430. Oh, and they're closed for lunch from 1130-1230. So I have to take time off work if I ever need to go to the post office.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Walk around in the rain, snow, and sleet and only make $22 an hour. Those poor, poor bastards.

Dark of night too. Don't forget dark of night.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:00 AM

$45,760/year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_middle_class

Lower middle class

The lower middle class is the second most populous according to both Gilbert's as well as Thompson & Hickey's models, constituting roughly one third of the population, the same percentage as the working class. However, according to James M. Henslin, who also divides the middle class into two sub-groups, the lower middle class is the most populous, constituting 34% of the population.[4] In all three class models the lower middle class is said to consist of "semi-professionals" and lower level white collar employees. An adaptation by sociologists Brian K. William, Stacy C. Sawyer, and Carl M. Wahlstrom of Dennis Gilbert's class model gave the following description of the lower middle class:[4]

The lower middle class... these are people in technical and lower-level management positions who work for those in the upper middle class as lower managers, craftspeople, and the like. They enjoy a reasonably comfortable standard of living, although it is constantly threatened by taxes and inflation. Generally, they have a Bachelor's and sometimes Masters college degree.
—Brian K. William, Stacy C. Sawyer and Carl M. Wahlstrom, Marriages, Families & Intimate Relationships, 2006 (Adapted from Dennis Gilbert 1997; and Joseph Kahl 1993)[4]

Taking into account the percentages provided in the six-class model by Gilbert, as well as the model of Thompson and Hickey, one can apply US Census Bureau statistics regarding income. According to these class models the lower middle class is located roughly between the 52nd and 84th percentile of society. In terms of personal income distribution in 2005, that would mean gross annual personal incomes from about $32,500 to $60,000.[20] As 42% of all households, and the majority of those in the top 40%, had two income earners, household income figures would be significantly higher, ranging from roughly $50,000 to $100,000 annually.[13] In terms of educational attainment, 27% of persons had a Bachelor's degree or higher. If the upper middle and upper class combined are to constitute 16% of the population, it becomes clear that some of those in the lower middle class boast college degrees or some college education.[25]

Sounds pretty average to me.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I live outside of a small town near Springfield. The roads were terrible out here during this snow storm. Mail was delivered every day, which surprised me. They may get every holiday imaginable to man off, but I get my mail and get it early every other day. Packages are brought to my door, the service I receive down here is the best I've ever had for the postal service. I have zero complaints. It's been a nice change.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I ship items for work at least weekly that are non-regular shape. I can ship USPS for around $5, I had to use UPS around Christmas for the same items and it was $17 each.

In this case, USPS ftw and most of my clients receive their stuff next or 2nd day.

That's another thing. I get stuff from Seattle in 3 days. That's a helluva lot faster than UPS or fed ex.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I hate the Post Office here. Don't know where "going postal" came from. Sumbitches are open from 9-430. Oh, and they're closed for lunch from 1130-1230. So I have to take time off work if I ever need to go to the post office.

Small towns must suck. Springfield's not all that big, but we have four post offices, and several mail type stores. If you don't make it to the post office (which are generally open on Saturdays, too (here at least), then you can usually drop stuff off at one of the stores, which tend to be open a little later. If it's after 4:30 or 5:00, it just may not make it on that days rounds, so it won't technically be mailed out until the following day.

KCUnited
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I had a Cable Guy situation with my mail carrier a few years ago after giving him a decent bottle of booze as a holiday gift. Guy kept leaving notes in my mailbox and would slide bootlegged movies on DVD under my door. When I tried to give them back to him he got all upset. Next I started noticing things weren't showing up in my mailbox, including my US passport and birth certificate. Luckily I moved (for differing reasons) a short time later.

Mail carrier can **** your shit up real good. Now I just wave with the occasional hello.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I live outside of a small town near Springfield. The roads were terrible out here during this snow storm. Mail was delivered every day, which surprised me. They may get every holiday imaginable to man off, but I get my mail and get it early every other day. Packages are brought to my door, the service I receive down here is the best I've ever had for the postal service. I have zero complaints. It's been a nice change.

Maybe that's it. Maybe we're just friendlier and more outgoing than other places. :)

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
$45,760/year

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7405821

What a joke. Factor in the benefits and get back to us.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Maybe that's it. Maybe we're just friendlier and more outgoing than other places. :)

Heh, my wife is still adjusting to it. She is not used to complete strangers coming up to us in grocery stores and starting conversations.

Bowser
02-04-2011, 11:07 AM
"He's pretty much liquored up and pissed off by the time he makes it all the way out to your place...."

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I had a Cable Guy situation with my mail carrier a few years ago after giving him a decent bottle of booze as a holiday gift. Guy kept leaving notes in my mailbox and would slide bootlegged movies on DVD under my door. When I tried to give them back to him he got all upset. Next I started noticing things weren't showing up in my mailbox, including my US passport and birth certificate. Luckily I moved (for differing reasons) a short time later.

Mail carrier can **** your shit up real good. Now I just wave with the occasional hello.

Seriously?

luv
02-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Dad tends to bring home gift cards, homemade candy/chocolate, or lottery tickets. I tend to have different carriers out here where I live, since I'm considered rural (just outside city limits). I didn't give anything this year. Typically, I get a card and put $5-10 in it.

KCUnited
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Seriously?

Of course I could never prove it. It started off with things like my monthly student loan bill, I knew the date it was due, so when I didn't receive it I would call them and they would confirm it was mailed out. I would chalk it up to misplacement on my part.

Once the passport and bc didn't show up, it was tracked to the Union Station PO. When I contacted them they told me to contact my mail carrier and ask if he'd seen it (no joke, they gave me his number), lol, that's when I knew.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
What a joke. Factor in the benefits and get back to us.

I'll let you do that, since you're the one trying to prove that point.

Annual physicals are required for the job, plus they are outside in the elements, as well as around dogs. If construction workers don't get good benefits, they need to take that up with the local chapter of their union.

KCUnited
02-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Dad tends to bring home gift cards, homemade candy/chocolate, or lottery tickets. I tend to have different carriers out here where I live, since I'm considered rural (just outside city limits). I didn't give anything this year. Typically, I get a card and put $5-10 in it.

I went with the booze because he'd mentioned in a casual conversation that he enjoyed a Tom Collins every now and again. Seemed logical, my old man always gifted our mailman.

Bowser
02-04-2011, 11:14 AM
My brother-in-law is a carrier. He's got enough seniority to have a driving route, and makes a good deal more than that 48K a year number. He's never met a stranger, and thus literally knows every one of his customers. You should see the bounty he brings home from the customers during the holidays.

It's a suck job not because of dealing with shitty weather and conditions from time to time, but from within. It's a production job, so it's all about numbers. If you do your route really fast one day, but not so the next day for whatever reason, you have to answer as to why you were fucking off on day 2, because on paper you were. Every job deals with stuff like that, so I don't necessarily feel bad for him, but crap like that just makes you shake your head.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
My brother-in-law is a carrier. He's got enough seniority to have a driving route, and makes a good deal more than that 48K a year number. He's never met a stranger, and thus literally knows every one of his customers. You should see the bounty he brings home from the customers during the holidays.

It's a suck job not because of dealing with shitty weather and conditions from time to time, but from within. It's a production job, so it's all about numbers. If you do your route really fast one day, but not so the next day for whatever reason, you have to answer as to why you were fucking off on day 2, because on paper you were. Every job deals with stuff like that, so I don't necessarily feel bad for him, but crap like that just makes you shake your head.

Dad makes out a little better than that average, but usually only when he's working a lot of overtime.

chiefsnorth
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
$45,760/year

Look at the skills required to do that job, and what that person would be making in a comparably skilled job elsewhere. It's a goldmine.

Bowser
02-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Dad makes out a little better than that average, but usually only when he's working a lot of overtime.

The b-i-l has been on mandatory overtime for awhile, and he's raking.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:18 AM
If everyone thinks the job is so easy, and so cushioned, then why aren't more of you delivering mail?

chiefsnorth
02-04-2011, 11:20 AM
If everyone thinks the job is so easy, and so cushioned, then why aren't more of you delivering mail?

Cant speak for others, but I went to college.

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:21 AM

I preferred to learn a skill.

Iowanian
02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Come at me BRO!
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj8vgfH3h9TUH-Y7HprhPyXr6hl3v2Fra_3kWDkrji7G8Vw4g6

luv

So, postal workers are uneducated? The work is beneath you?

luv
I preferred to learn a skill.

You're definitely not a people person.

phisherman

yep. great question.

Bwana
Hmmm?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/politics/files/2011/01/ClavenCliff.jpg

Iowanian
02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
My mail delivery person was a stripper 10yrs ago, runs marathons now and yes, she's hot as hell. Dumb as a box of shit, but built for speed.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Hmmm?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/politics/files/2011/01/ClavenCliff.jpg

LMAO. Dad abhors Cliff. Something about drinking while in uniform.

chiefsnorth
02-04-2011, 11:25 AM
So, postal workers are uneducated? The work is beneath you?

I am guessing most of them are.

I don't work there because I have skills I can employ elsewhere for more money. But I appreciate the post office and what it does.

eazyb81
02-04-2011, 11:25 AM

It's a suck job not because of dealing with shitty weather and conditions from time to time, but from within. It's a production job, so it's all about numbers. If you do your route really fast one day, but not so the next day for whatever reason, you have to answer as to why you were ****ing off on day 2, because on paper you were. Every job deals with stuff like that, so I don't necessarily feel bad for him, but crap like that just makes you shake your head.

Who do you have to take crap from? The post office manager?

90+% of people are at work when the mailman comes.

chiefsnorth
02-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Also, for people who are achievers the fact that a job is repetitive and easy is not a selling point.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 11:26 AM
My understanding is that if you're not a veteran or minority, it's incredibly difficult to get into. For instance, you mentioned the point bonus for veteran status. I go in and score 99, but the veteran, or minority scores 91 and has 101 with their bonus amd gets the job.

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:27 AM
You're definitely not a people person.

You're definitely not very intelligent.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:28 AM

Yes. There are supervisors. Like the OP says, they have to scan certain mailboxes, so that their supervisors know where they are. If you don't produce at the same rate, they question you.

Halfcan
02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
We have some great mail carriers in independence. I was actually at the post office today and they went out of their way to be nice!

Great job!!

Deberg_1990
02-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Look at the skills required to do that job, and what that person would be making in a comparably skilled job elsewhere. It's a goldmine.

If thats all a mail carrier makes, thats really not a whole lot of money. But yea, thats about the right salary IMO for the skill required.

Why are we baggin on the postal workers? Its a good honest living sounds like...

luv
02-04-2011, 11:31 AM
You're definitely not very intelligent.

I'm standing up for a profession that has paid to put food on my family's table when I was growing up. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a carrier. I'd want an office job. I'm enough of a people person that I can get along with others and see their points of view, but I don't enjoy providing customer service all day long. I'm simply arguing your points to be arguing. It has nothing to do with intelligence. However, if you are calling any member of my family uneducated or dumb, then I'm going to speak up.

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:31 AM
If thats all a mail carrier makes, thats really not a whole lot of money. But yea, thats about the right salary IMO for the skill required.

Why are we baggin on the postal workers? Its a good honest living sounds like...

Not bagging on them, just not going to listen to a bunch of garbage about how hard the job is. Comparatively, they're overpaid, but you probably have to overpay people to keep them from stealing.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Not bagging on them, just not going to listen to a bunch of garbage about how hard the job is. Comparatively, they're overpaid, but you probably have to overpay people to keep them from stealing.

Now they're thieves? What next?

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm standing up for a profession that has paid to put food on my family's table when I was growing up. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a carrier. I'd want an office job. I'm enough of a people person that I can get along with others and see their points of view, but I don't enjoy providing customer service all day long. I'm simply arguing your points to be arguing. It has nothing to do with intelligence. However, if you are calling any member of my family uneducated or dumb, then I'm going to speak up.

I don't know if any member of your family is uneducated or dumb, but if they work for the post office, they're doing a job that can be done by someone who is uneducated and dumb.

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Now they're thieves? What next?

See, this is why I say you're not very bright. You don't understand what words mean.

notorious
$45,760/year

Like teachers, they get amazing vacation time and benefits.

That offsets the average pay.

phisherman
out of curiousity brock, what do you do?

luv
02-04-2011, 11:35 AM

See, this is why I say you're not very bright. You don't understand what words mean.

Tell me how I misunderstood that jab?

ReynardMuldrake
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Compared to what? Do you know what a UPS driver makes?

Deberg_1990
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Ding, Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Compared to what? Do you know what a UPS driver makes?

Compared to what someone who works at Wal Mart makes.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:38 AM

True. Time off doesn't pay bills though. They get a lot of overtime, though. Carriers, that is.

My ex sil is a teacher. She had to work two jobs until she got remarried.

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Tell me how I misunderstood that jab?

How you misunderstood it is that you think I'm calling your dad a thief or something stupid like that.

chiefsnorth

My father was a letter carrier. I'm grateful that these jobs exist so people like he, who was high school educated and not more, could still have a decent job without a trade to practice and without having to beat himself up doing manual labor all his life. Our economy needs jobs at all levels of skill.

As far as the salary, benefits, and vacation time, they are primarily the result of collective bargaining and thus, they are paid a far higher rate thanthe market would bear for them otherwise.

It's nice work if you can get it.

Fire Me Boy!
I stick with the Fed-Ex Express at my office. With the business account, I can send that same box of books across the country for $6 in two days, with tracking and insurance. For a couple dollars more, I can have it there the next day.

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
out of curiousity brock, what do you do?

I play piano in a whorehouse. What difference does it make?

DaFace
02-04-2011, 11:45 AM

:spock:

I don't completely disagree with you the overall point you're trying to make, but this comparison is stupid. There's no way in hell you could take your average Wal-Mart worker and suddenly give them a USPS job and expect them to succeed. You have to be tremendously more self-managed to be a mail carrier if nothing else.

notorious
02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
True. Time off doesn't pay bills though. They get a lot of overtime, though. Carriers, that is.

My ex sil is a teacher. She had to work two jobs until she got remarried.

Luv, I have a ton of respect for teachers and postal workers.

They just don't have it nearly as bad as they think. Well, the postal workers, anyway.

Teachers have to put up with little bastards 8 hours a day. Screw that. I would need more then 4 months vacation a year to convince me to do that job.

rockymtnchief
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
That's another thing. I get stuff from Seattle in 3 days. That's a helluva lot faster than UPS or fed ex.

I send things to the home office using the USPS. It beats FedEx and UPS by two days.:thumb:

I have nothing but good things to say about them around here. -25 temps and they still got my mail to me dailey.

Brock

I don't completely disagree with you the overall point you're trying to make, but this comparison is stupid. There's no way in hell you could take your average Wal-Mart worker and suddenly give them a USPS job and expect them to succeed. You have to be tremendously more self-managed to be a mail carrier if nothing else.

Well, I think you're underestimating the average Wal Mart worker. They're not stupid people.

luv
How you misunderstood it is that you think I'm calling your dad a thief or something stupid like that.

Okay, I get it. Postal workers equate to people who could possibly be dumbass thieves.

Anyway. Yes, I agree that they get paid quite well after an intial period and get great benefits for cheaper (although not paid for 100% like someone eluded to earlier). As far as benefits go, there are thousands upon thousands of workers that work for the same "company". Of course their health insurance and such will be less expensive. However, how many government agencies are unionized (literal question, I don't know)?

Ugh. Not going to make anymore arguments than to say that, while it may be "easy," it's not like they sit around and do nothing for their pay. Well, maybe clerks (jk).

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Okay, I get it. Postal workers equate to people who could possibly be dumbass thieves.

Anyway. Yes, I agree that they get paid quite well after an intial period and get great benefits for cheaper (although not paid for 100% like someone eluded to earlier). As far as benefits go, there are thousands upon thousands of workers that work for the same "company". Of course their health insurance and such will be less expensive. However, how many government agencies are unionized (literal question, I don't know)?

Ugh. Not going to make anymore arguments than to say that, while it may be "easy," it's not like they sit around and do nothing for their pay. Well, maybe clerks (jk).

Well, Jesus Christ, at least you finally admitted the possibility that the job might be easy.

notorious

Hey, my wife is a manager at Wal-Mart.

Oh ya, her pay IS shit. Medical benefits are the only reason she works.

Rain Man
I think the best part of being a mailman would be riding the horses across the western landscape.

luv
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM

They don't have to be micro managed. They get paid more not to steal.

:)

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM

I would think that would take a lot of concentration.

notorious
02-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I would think the best part of being a mailman would be riding the horses across the western landscape.

Until you ran into a tyrannical army. Those guys don't play around.

DaFace
02-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Well, I think you're underestimating the average Wal Mart worker. They're not stupid people.

So, just to clarify, are you suggesting that the following statement is true?

The average Wal-Mart worker would perform the duties of a USPS mail carrier at a satisfactory level.

(Note that, by average, we're saying that over 50 percent of those working at Wal-Mart would have to qualify.)

luv
02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Well, Jesus Christ, at least you finally admitted the possibility that the job might be easy.

I quoted the word easy, because it depends on how you define it in this situation. I can barely stand tailgating when it's cold out, and I have the opportunity to get liquored up there. :) Seriously, I would not like being out walking in the humidity of the summers here or the sub freezing temps of the winter. I would not enjoy walking around in the rain either. To me, that adds a degree of "difficulty" to the job. Right along with being out amongst, not only your customers, but the public in general, and holding to a certain level of customer service at all times. No thanks. I guess I just see those things as difficult because they are not things I would want to do.

Brock
02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
So, just to clarify, are you suggesting that the following statement is true?

The average Wal-Mart worker would perform the duties of a USPS mail carrier at a satisfactory level.

(Note that, by average, we're saying that over 50 percent of those working at Wal-Mart would have to qualify.)

Sure, why not? What is it about the task of sorting, organizing, and carrying mail from house to house that you think is so difficult? And by qualify, I mean can do the actual job, not pass a civil service exam that has nothing to do with whether you can actually perform the work or not.

DaFace
02-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Sure, why not? What is it about the task of sorting, organizing, and carrying mail from house to house that you think is so difficult? And by qualify, I mean can do the actual job, not pass a civil service exam that has nothing to do with whether you can actually perform the work or not.

Fair enough. I strongly disagree, but don't really care enough to try and discuss it further.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Did you know that before 1850 mail delivery people were also approved to do surgery?

Okay, I just made that up.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:01 PM

You forget the time factor. You only have so long to get your cases ready. Again, it is production. Also, along with doing it very quickly, you have to have the highest level of quality. People get pissed when they get someone else's mail, etc. Yes, sorting hundreds of pieces of mail is easy. Get it sorted correctly, cased, and ready to go in less than two hours.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Okay, I'm done arguing. Brock can go one believing carriers are morons.

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:05 PM

I never said that, stupid. I said they're doing a job that you don't have to be educated, or even particularly smart, to do.

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
You forget the time factor. You only have so long to get your cases ready. Again, it is production. Also, along with doing it very quickly, you have to have the highest level of quality. People get pissed when they get someone else's mail, etc. Yes, sorting hundreds of pieces of mail is easy. Get it sorted correctly, cased, and ready to go in less than two hours.

Yeah, that sounds like something a person of average intelligence could do and in a couple of months they'd have the job dicked.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I never said that, stupid. I said they're doing a job that you don't have to be educated, or even particularly smart, to do.

It's not stupid, it's sarcasm.

Iowanian
My father in law is a farmer, who also works as a rural letter carrier, and I have a couple of uncles who are rural carriers.

This week, with the temps and snow and drifting, I wouldn't want to log the miles they do on weeks like these. I know one of my uncles has been in at least 2 accidents(roll overs) due to bad roads while delivering mail. Neither would tell you that it's a difficult job.

I don't know how it is everywhere but with a few exceptions, in this part of the world they're pretty highly sought after jobs when available. Unless you're a woman, you're not getting a post office job unless you're a veteran.

I wouldn't want my letter carrier on my charity trivia night team, but if I ever need to press a penny without a train, or wanted to try to turn coal into a diamond, i'd ask her to use her butt to try.

luv
Yeah, that sounds like something a person of average intelligence could do and in a couple of months they'd have the job dicked.

Okay, you win.

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:11 PM
It's not stupid, it's sarcasm.

I don't think you know what that word means.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't think you know what that word means.

How can I? I'm stupid.

Rain Man
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Iowanian, would you please take a photo of your letter carrier at some point? I'm very interested in postal carrier uniforms and I'm missing Iowa in my collection.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM

ROFL

Jenson71
02-04-2011, 12:14 PM

My girlfriend's dad is a mailman. I don't think he enjoys it much, but the benefits are good, and isn't their retirement package somehow funded by taxpayers, because they are federal employees, right?

His kids' professions, in order, are: 1) a computer engineer 2) a pharmacist 3) a physical therapist 4) a high school English teacher 5) a pharmacy student 6) a biology student looking into dental school

Whatever was going on at their house worked. The dad is very disciplined person. Maybe not the most bookish guy, but no moron at all. And a former marine with a Purple Heart while serving in Vietnam.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
My girlfriend's dad is a mailman. I don't think he enjoys it much, but the benefits are good, and isn't their retirement package somehow funded by taxpayers, because they are federal employees, right?

His kids' professions, in order, are: 1) a computer engineer 2) a pharmacist 3) a physical therapist 4) a high school English teacher 5) a pharmacy student 6) a biology student looking into dental school

Whatever was going on at their house worked. The dad is very disciplined person. Maybe not the most bookish guy, but no moron at all. And a former marine with a Purple Heart while serving in Vietnam.

I don't think they get any money via taxpayers, but I don't know about retirement. I'll have to ask.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
How can I? I'm stupid.

How can you be stupid? You aren't a postal employee.

notorious
02-04-2011, 12:17 PM
They have to be getting money from the taxpayers.

You can't lose billions and keep something like that going without outside assistance.

KCUnited
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
For an in depth look at the life of a mail carrier, I'd suggest watching Poetic Justice.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
How can you be stupid? You aren't a postal employee.
I was too stupid to realize that.

phisherman
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM

i'd say that being a mail carrier is as difficult or more difficult than most occupations. I have a pretty darn specialized IT job that took me years to get into, but I still insist, that if someone sat down with me for a month or two, they could do the same job that i do. they may not be as efficient at it as i am, but they could still get the job done.

i just don't have any preconceived notions about the level of intelligence it takes to do any particular jobs. i've known people in high level IT jobs that could barely remember how to write a check, let alone build servers, and i've known people that had very low paying jobs that were as smart or smarter than any of my friends that had high paying jobs.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
and i've known people that had very low paying jobs that were as smart or smarter than any of my friends that had high paying jobs.

Obviously they weren't that smart.

Jenson71
02-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Yeah, the post office manager. From what I've heard, the method of work on the inside is strict and annoying. You're not just given mail and told to do it all. It's more structured.

And a lot of people view autonomy at work as a key to career happiness.

JASONSAUTO
02-04-2011, 12:26 PM
i'll add one

14: fuck off.

bet they wont tell you that either

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:28 PM
i'd say that being a mail carrier is as difficult or more difficult than most occupations.

LOL, that's ridiculous.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
i'd say that being a mail carrier is as difficult or more difficult than most occupations. I have a pretty darn specialized IT job that took me years to get into, but I still insist, that if someone sat down with me for a month or two, they could do the same job that i do. they may not be as efficient at it as i am, but they could still get the job done.

i just don't have any preconceived notions about the level of intelligence it takes to do any particular jobs. i've known people in high level IT jobs that could barely remember how to write a check, let alone build servers, and i've known people that had very low paying jobs that were as smart or smarter than any of my friends that had high paying jobs.

You could stake the claim, good work is the key to good fortune. Winners take that praise, losers seldom take that blame.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
i'll add one

14: fuck off.

bet they wont tell you that either

ROFL

phisherman
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
LOL, that's ridiculous.

is it? to an office jockey that sits down all day every day, shlepping mailbags around on foot probably wouldn't be the easiest job.

it's definitely harder than playing piano in a whorehouse.

phisherman
02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Obviously they weren't that smart.

OR, maybe they enjoyed their jobs and didn't equate their wage level with their happiness level...

Saccopoo
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Being a letter carrier is chimp work. My cousin does it. My cousin's fiancee does it. My ex-wife's new husband does it. They all admit it's chimp work. However, that doesn't mean that postal workers are idiots. Shit, great pay as it relates to the work/thought required, good benefits, retirement, a lot of paid time off, phone in sick days, etc. Sounds like someone would have to be pretty smart to figure out that you get a lot of stuff for not really having to do much of anything.

But then, so is IT. Fucking morons. My brother runs an IT department (for a very good company with some very high level contracts) and thinks that his employees are, without question, some of the dumbest fuckers he's ever been around. And seriously, what do most IT guys do? Nothing for the most part other than pass the buck.

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
is it? to an office jockey that sits down all day every day, shlepping mailbags around on foot probably wouldn't be the easiest job.

Depends on what that office jockey does. You think a mail carrier would think his job is harder than, say, a roofer or a concrete finisher?

phisherman
02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
probably not. roofing is one tough a** job. it's all relative.

i think carrying mail would be much more physically difficult than my job, but i think my job is probably much more mentally difficult than carrying mail.

Saccopoo
02-04-2011, 12:38 PM

I don't know about that. Piano player in a whorehouse sounds like a shit job to me.

phisherman
02-04-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't know about that. Piano player in a whorehouse sounds like a shit job to me.

lots of perks though.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
LOL, that's ridiculous.

Just curious. What do you consider to be difficult? Surely not anything that requires intelligence, as that should be too easy for you.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
http://www.thebuk.com/Post_Office.html

Excerpt from Post Office
It began as a mistake.
It was Christmas season and I learned from the drunk up on the hill, who did the trick every Christmas, that they would hire damned near anybody, and so I went and the next thing I knew I had this leather sack on my back and was hiking around at my leisure. What a job, I thought. Soft! They only gave you a block or two and if you managed to finish, the regula carrier would give you another block to carry, or maybe you'd go back in and the soup would give you another, but you just took your time and shoved those Xmas cards in the slots.
I think it was my second day as a Christmas temp that this big woman came out and walked around with me as I delivered letters. What I mean by big was that her a** was big and her t*** were big and that she was big in all the right places. She seemed a bit crazy, but I kept looking at her body and I didn't care.
She talked and talked and talked. Then it came out. Her husband was an officer on an island far away and she got lonely, you know, and lived in this little house in back all by herself.
"What little house?" I asked.
She wrote the address on a piece of paper.
"I'm lonely too," I said, "I'll come by and we'll talk tonight."
I was shacked but the shackjob was gone half the time, off somewhere and I was lonely alright. I was lonely for that big a** standing beside me.
"All right," she said, "see you tonight."
SHe was a good one all right, she was a good lay but like all lays after the third or fourth night I began to lose interest and didn't go back.
But I couldn't help thinking, god, all these mailmen is drop in their letters and get laid. This is the job for me, oh yes yes yes.
So I took the exam, passed it, took the physical, passed it, and there I was—a substitute mail carrier. It began easy. I was sent to West Avon Station and it was just like Christmas except I didn't get laid. Every day I expected to get laid but I didn't. But the soup was easy and I strolled around doing a block here and there. I didn't even have a uniform, just a cap. I wore my regular clothes. The way my shackjob Betty and I drank there was hardly money for clothes.
Then I was transferred to Oakford Station.
The soup was a bullneck named Jonstone. Help was needed there and I understood why. Jonstone liked to wear dark red t-shirts—that meant danger and blood. There were seven subs—Tom Moto, Nick Pelligrini, Herman Stratford, Rosey Anderson, Bobbly Hansen, Harold Wiley and me, Henry Chinaski. Reporting time was 5am and I was the only drunk there. I always drank until past midnight, and there we'd sit, at 5am, waiting to get on the clock, waiting for some regular to call in sick. The regulars usually called in sick when it rained or during a heatwave or the day after a holiday when the mail load was doubled.
There were 40 or 50 routes, maybe more, each case was different, you were never able to learn any of them, you had to get your mail up and ready before 8am for the truck dispatches, and Jonstone would take no excuses. The subs routed their magazines on corners, went without lunch, and died in the streets. Jonstone would have us casing the routes 30 minutes late—spinning in his chair in his red shirt—"Chinaski take route 539!" We'd start a half hour short but were still expected to get the mail up and out and be back on time. And once or twice a week, always beaten, fagged and f**ked we had to make the night pickups, and the schedule on the board was impossible—the truck wouldn't go that fast. You had to skip four or five boxes on the first run and the next time around they were stacked with mail and you stank, you ran with sweat jamming it into the sacks. I got laid all right. Jonstone saw to that.
© Charles Bukowski. Excerpt Used Only As An Appreciation of Buk!

ChiTown
My job is a piece of cake. I just sit here in my Avatar (24-7) and jerk it to TV.

-King-
How much more difficult is it to be a mail man than to be a paperboy when you're 12? Serious question.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:43 PM
How much more difficult is it to be a mail man than to be a paperboy when you're 12? Serious question.
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

Bwana
02-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Heh, I forgot about Newman.

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/esq-seinfeld-082109-lg-8935833.jpg

luv
02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't know much about being a paper boy. Do they still roll their own papers, or do they go and pick up a bag to deliver? Do they do it for 8+ hours per day? Do they make kids go out and walk up porches in the winter? Can they still ride their bikes in the summer?

-King-
02-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I mean wtf? You're going to tell me that if you give some mail to a 12 year old, its not going to get delivered?
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
02-04-2011, 12:46 PM
An NFL player would consider playing football easy.

Ask one of them to type of a report about the current Widget market, and they would probably consider that hard.

It's all relative. Being a mail carrier would be easy IMO. I am excellent with numbers, I enjoy conversing with people, the physical part is a joke, and working alone is a bonus.

Hard IMO = Kissing a bosses ass or trying to teach 11 year old demons.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I mean wtf? You're going to tell me that if you give some mail to a 12 year old, its not going to get delivered?
Posted via Mobile Device

You're so cool.

Mizzou Dude
I was a mail carrier for a while in Ohio. They don't get paid all that well but the benefits were awesome.

Added bonus was all the free Cougar Cooze you can handle. Especially at the assisted living facilities.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
probably not. roofing is one tough a** job. it's all relative.

i think carrying mail would be much more physically difficult than my job, but i think my job is probably much more mentally difficult than carrying mail.

Damn, you beat me to it.

Good post.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
An NFL player would consider playing football easy.

Ask one of them to type of a report about the current Widget market, and they would probably consider that hard.

It's all relative. Being a mail carrier would be easy IMO. I am excellent with numbers, I enjoy conversing with people, the physical part is a joke, and working alone is a bonus.

Hard IMO = Kissing a bosses ass or trying to teach 11 year old demons.

Did you know you can get carpal tunnel from delivering mail? And carriers don't have asses to kiss? You think all people everywhere are pleasant? Can you imagine having to deliver to the people that post on here? Man.

-King-
02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
You're so cool.

I'm being serious.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
02-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm being serious.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're so cool.

Brock
Just curious. What do you consider to be difficult? Surely not anything that requires intelligence, as that should be too easy for you.

Well, there are jobs that are physically demanding, requiring you to carry heavy things up ladders and things like that. There are jobs that are mentally demanding, such as ER nurses and design engineers and sales.

Carrying mail is neither of these.

ChiTown
Did you know you can get carpal tunnel from delivering mail? And carriers don't have asses to kiss? You think all people everywhere are pleasant? Can you imagine having to deliver to the people that post on here? Man.

Carpet Cleaners hate me............

luv
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Well, there are jobs that are physically demanding, requiring you to carry heavy things up ladders and things like that. There are jobs that are mentally demanding, such as ER nurses and design engineers and sales.

Carrying mail is neither of these.

So carrying heavy objects is only difficult if you carry it up a ladder? Not if you have to carry anything for a prolonged period of time?

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM

You can get carpal tunnel from nearly anything. You have to deal with people in nearly any job anywhere. Good grief.

-King-
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
You're so cool.

So....a regular person wouldn't be able to deliver mail? Why not? What problems would they have?
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
So carrying heavy objects is only difficult if you carry it up a ladder? Not if you have to carry anything for a prolonged period of time?

Like what? A 35 lb bag of letters?

luv
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
So....a regular person wouldn't be able to deliver mail? Why not? What problems would they have?
Posted via Mobile Device

I never said a regular person couldn't deliver mail.

Not everyone is made to do production work. Not everyone is made to do customer service work. Not everyone is made to do both.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Like what? A 35 lb bag of letters?

Anything.

Brock
02-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Anything.

Well, since postal carriers don't carry "anything", I'd ask that you try to keep it relevant.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:56 PM
You guys are like crack. Or maybe it's just arguing. I know you will never see things in any way other than your own, but still I try. Insane, that's it. I'm insane.

-King-
02-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Well, since postal carriers don't carry "anything", I'd ask that you try to keep it relevant.

ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

You're easily amused.

luv
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM

You're comparing them to Walmart workers. What do walmart workers carry?

DaFace
02-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I have to say, I find it mildly ironic that we're having a discussion about how easy some jobs are. As we all play around online. (Many of us) while at work.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I'll say this, luv, if someone posted a "10 things your IT guy won't tell you," i'd chuckle, but as an IT guy, I know we are a dime a dozen, and we are a service based organization. I'm not going to try and defend IT guys just because a few people call us lazy assholes (which we are).

You seem to be elevating mail carriers to a higher stature than what they really are because you have an emotional connection with them because that is what your dad did to "put food on the table."

Brock
02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
You're comparing them to Walmart workers. What do walmart workers carry?

Whatever they're told to.

ChiTown
02-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I have to say, I find it mildly ironic that we're having a discussion about how easy some jobs are. As we all play around online. (Many of us) while at work.

Fuck off! I'm carrying a load right now.........

luv
02-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll say this, luv, if someone posted a "10 things your IT guy won't tell you," i'd chuckle, but as an IT guy, I know we are a dime a dozen, and we are a service based organization. I'm not going to try and defend IT guys just because a few people call us lazy assholes (which we are).

You seem to be elevating mail carriers to a higher stature than what they really are because you have an emotional connection with them because that is what your dad did to "put food on the table."

Not only am I stupid, I'm also a chick. Sometimes, my emotions get the better of me, if there is a better to be had, which I'm not sure there is.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Not only am I stupid, I'm also a chick. Sometimes, my emotions get the better of me, if there is a better to be had, which I'm not sure there is.

WHITE KNIGHTS TO THE RESCUE!!!

luv
02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
And, also, even if I'm wrong, I tend to argue just to get the other side to at least see the opposing point of view. I've already admitted that they are overpaid. I've also stated that the ease or difficulty of the job is based on what you define those terms to be. Now, I'm arguing to argue. Yes, I appear to be stupid. The thing is, I don't care. I'm having fun. :) And it's either sit here and keep you all entertained or stop procrastinating on cleaning out the litter box and taking the trash out.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
the lady that ran our route back in the early 90s would stop in every day it was nice and kill a few brews w/ my dad.

luv
02-04-2011, 01:06 PM
WHITE KNIGHTS TO THE RESCUE!!!

I tend to have to fend for myself around here. Thank you, though. :)

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 01:06 PM
And it's either sit here and keep you all entertained or stop procrastinating on cleaning out the litter box and taking the trash out.

That sounds like more of a challenge than the average mailman has to deal with every day.

notorious
02-04-2011, 01:07 PM

I wasn't taking a shot a postal workers, Luv. These guys have got you worked up.

I was simply stating that it's all relative. There is not an easy/hard job that covers everyone.

I moved 2 tons of wood floor (by carrying it) into a house a few weeks ago. I found it easy to do, but a lot of people would have thought it would be pretty darn hard.

Delivering mail is no different.

luv
02-04-2011, 01:10 PM
I wasn't taking a shot a postal workers, Luv. These guys have got you worked up.

I was simply stating that it's all relative. There is not an easy/hard job that covers everyone.

I moved 2 tons of wood floor (by carrying it) into a house a few weeks ago. I found it easy to do, but a lot of people would have thought it would be pretty darn hard.

Delivering mail is no different.
They do have me worked up...lol.

Talking to a friend of mine who keeps trying to stand up on a sled and getting hurt somehow. I told him the sled is bigger, so it should be easier....lol.

notorious
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
They do have me worked up...lol.

Talking to a friend of mine who keeps trying to stand up on a sled and getting hurt somehow. I told him the sled is bigger, so it should be easier....lol.

:D

luv
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I am guessing they have to be able to operate some sort of technology. The OP states how it takes longer to read writing on red envelopes, especially if written with colored ink. Sounds like they use a scanner of some sort somewhere in the process.

luv
02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
:D

He informed me that you strap into a board, making it easier to steer.

luv
02-04-2011, 01:13 PM
That sounds like more of a challenge than the average mailman has to deal with every day.

It's overdue, so.....yeah.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I am guessing they have to be able to operate some sort of technology. The OP states how it takes longer to read writing on red envelopes, especially if written with colored ink. Sounds like they use a scanner of some sort somewhere in the process.

Meh. Nice try.

luv
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Meh. Nice try.

I'll think of something, dammit.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I'll think of something, dammit.

They have to risk getting shot at.