PDA

View Full Version : Money NFL met with Union today for the 1st time since NOVEMBER

Pawnmower
02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=12848856

Repost police suck my cock

The NFL and its players' union met for two hours Saturday to talk about a new labor deal, their first formal bargaining session in more than two months.

The meeting was at a Dallas hotel, one day before the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers play in the Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium. The full negotiating teams last sat down face-to-face on Nov. 22.

The sides issued a joint statement, saying they "plan to increase the number, length and intensity" of bargaining sessions so they can reach agreement before the collective bargaining agreement expires March 4. Two more sessions already had been scheduled for next week.

The statement called Saturday's session part of a "continuing effort to narrow the differences and reach a fair agreement that will benefit the players, teams and fans."

There was no immediate indication of what sort of substantive progress — if any — was made during Saturday's talks. Spokesmen for the league and union declined to comment.

The union has said it expects owners to lock out players if a new CBA isn't reached by early March.

Among the major issues are how to divide about $9 billion in annual revenues; the owners' push to expand the regular season from 16 games to 18 while reducing the preseason by two games; a rookie wage scale; and benefits for retired players.

During his annual Super Bowl news conference Friday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said it was imperative to reach an agreement before the CBA expires.

"I frequently have said that I think March 4 is a very critical date," Goodell said. "A lot of different strategies will take place if we're not successful in getting an agreement by that time.

"We need to have intensive, round-the clock negotiations to address the issues and find solutions. I can assure you that I have that sense of urgency and I believe both sides do."

The league estimates there would be a cut in gross revenues of $120 million without a new agreement by early March; $350 million if there's no CBA by August, before the preseason starts; $1 billion if no new contract is in place until September. And if regular-season games are lost, the NFL figures the revenue losses would amount to about $400 million per week

A little glimmer of hope?

Over-Head
02-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Was this thread apporved by our resident lard ass thread policeman |Zach| :rolleyes:

Bugeater
02-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Was this thread apporved by our resident lard ass thread policeman |Zach| :rolleyes:
How many kgs does it take to be considered a lard ass?

CaliforniaChief
02-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Nothing good happens until they communicate directly, so this is good. But for the life of me I wish they would have been doing this long ago.

Over-Head
02-05-2011, 03:26 PM
How many kgs does it take to be considered a lard ass? I`d attempt to explane it, but your concept of the metric is like that of a neanderthal trying to re-boot a computer :)

Pawnmower
02-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Nothing good happens until they communicate directly, so this is good. But for the life of me I wish they would have been doing this long ago.

Yah exactly my thoughts...

Too little too late?

We need this shit done by teh 1st week of March...

Blindside58
02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
This just adds a little more truth to the quote - "If it weren't for deadlines, nothing would ever get accomplished."
only 2nd to "why do today what you can put off until tomorrow"...the procrastinators mantra...

KurtCobain
02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I hope getting a hotel room means they're warming up to each other.

PACHIEFSFAN
02-05-2011, 03:44 PM
One thing I'm sure will not be discuss by them is us, the fans. All we have to offer is our hard earned cash.

HonestChieffan
02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
One thing I'm sure will not be discuss by them is us, the fans. All we have to offer is our hard earned cash.

First payment for next season tickets was due 2 weeks ago. Im in.

morphius
02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Don't you know they are going to 18 games for us, because we are tired of paying full price for 2 preseason games...

yipee

Dave Lane
02-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Brah, what's ya drinkin'?

alpha_omega
02-05-2011, 07:52 PM
400 million a week lost when the season starts?
Sounds to me like it is in all their best interest to get something done.
400 million....WOW!

GloryDayz
02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I think this is funny... Let them just fight it out...

milkman
02-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I heard this news on the radio today, and I knew it had been some time since they had talked, but 2 fucking months.

Useless fucking bastards.

philfree
02-05-2011, 11:05 PM
The sides issued a joint statement, saying they "plan to increase the number, length and intensity" of bargaining sessions so they can reach agreement before the collective bargaining agreement expires March 4. Two more sessions already had been scheduled for next week.

It seems like they're trying to market the negotiations....

PhilFree:arrow:

KC Tattoo
02-06-2011, 01:48 AM
If no agreement is made by march 4th, would the players hold out from OTAs? That would be very alarming to me for the reality of it all.

Lary the Cable guy says GET R DONE

Dick Bull
02-06-2011, 01:55 AM
They need to get judge judy. They'll get it done before the commercial break.

JOhn
02-06-2011, 02:04 AM
I`d attempt to explane it, but your concept of the metric is like that of a neanderthal trying to re-boot a computer :)

Or a Canadian's concept of a real football :D

|Zach|
02-06-2011, 02:42 AM

Has this been posted already multiple times?

The whole concept seems simple to me. But hey, that is just me.

Extra Point
02-06-2011, 08:35 AM
18 games, my a$$. No player can last that long during such a season length, given the insensity of play. Have revenues hit a plateau? Are fans going to shell out more disposable income? Fewer and fewer fans will be able to do that.

RedNFeisty
02-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Greedy, greedy, f'en bastards. The players want the franchise tag lifted, then lift it, just one example. The players are the ones out their busting their asses and putting their bodies on the line, give them what they want and need.

The Owners need to stop being so damn greedy.

Lower the price of beer too, they would make a lot more money off of beer sales, if I didn't have to pay $8-$12 bucks a pop. Ever heard of the concept; less is more??

dtebbe
02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I think sooner or later the players are going to realize that without the owners the majority of them would be living in a housing project somewhere.

On the other hand without the players most NFL owners would just be making money in some other business. Maybe not as much, maybe not as exciting and fun, but they'd still be making the coin.

I think the players are about to get a little finance 101 (since most of them probably got the rubber stamp on that class in college).

From what I understand, without a CBA, 500+ free agents will basically become unemployed in March. We all know how well NFL players tend to manage their finances. I think a good number of those will start putting pressure on their own side to get a deal done come March.

The owners have all the leverage. It's their sandbox.

DT

Over-Head
02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Or a Canadian's concept of a real football :D
At least we'll HAVE football :evil:

Over-Head
02-06-2011, 09:45 AM

DT

Yep, one of the great advantages to OWNING a business.
Don't like it, move on.
No one is forcing these guys to play for a min of $900K plus a year, if it's that bad they should all go find jobs elsewhere more commensurate with the salary necessary to fulfill their desired life style of living.

And as far as the "the players are putting their life on the line in a physical job"
BULLLLLLSSSHHHIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!
many hard working people are in much more dangerous jobs, but does the average person get $900K a year because the french fryer could bubble over and burn you?
I didn't read anywhere that Sig and the Boy's of the Northwestern all made 2.6 Mill each last crab season.
A power line Tech sure don't make a mill a year, but yet one wrong move and he's a crispy critter.

They chose it, just like people who chose to commute an hour a day on a highway getting to a job and being killed in a car accident driving home.

Life is a gambel the min you get up in the morning, till ya wake up the next.

I'm not saying the owners are all angels, but come on, how would you like someone telling YOU how to run YOUR business after YOU invested the time money and energy to get in into operation?

Brock
02-06-2011, 09:47 AM
many hard working people are in much more dangerous jobs, but does the average person get $900K a year because the french fryer could bubble over and burn you?
I didn't read anywhere that Sig and the Boy's of the Northwestern all made 2.6 Mill each last crab season.
A power line Tech sure don't make a mill a year, but yet one wrong move and he's a crispy critter.

Sure, all you have to do is find 100 million people who want to pay to watch those people work.

Over-Head
02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Sure, all you have to do is find 100 million people who want to pay to watch those people work.
Ask those 100 million people who their gonna turn to in a power outage to make sure they can watch :thumb:

Brock
02-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Ask those 100 million people who their gonna turn to in a power outage to make sure they can watch :thumb:

There's no shortage of people who can do that job. If you think you can replace NFL players with people off the street, you deserve the UFL.

RedNFeisty
02-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Yep, one of the great advantages to OWNING a business.
Don't like it, move on.
No one is forcing these guys to play for a min of $900K plus a year, if it's that bad they should all go find jobs elsewhere more commensurate with the salary necessary to fulfill their desired life style of living.

And as far as the "the players are putting their life on the line in a physical job"
BULLLLLLSSSHHHIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

They chose it, just like people who chose to commute an hour a day on a highway getting to a job and being killed in a car accident driving home.

Life is a gambel the min you get up in the morning, till ya wake up the next.

I'm not saying the owners are all angels, but come on, how would you like someone telling YOU how to run YOUR business after YOU invested the time money and energy to get in into operation?

I didn't say they were putting their lives on the line, but their bodies yes. I do agree there are people that do actually put their lives on the line and don't make swat for the work they do. Sadly, the NFL makes enough money to pay the players millions of dollars a year. If the fans didn't pay to see the games, then the players and owners wouldn't make so much money. So, when it comes down to the nitty gritty, it is the fans fault everyone makes so much money.

Owning an NFL team isn't the same as owning any other business.

Over-Head
02-06-2011, 10:05 AM
There's no shortage of people who can do that job. If you think you can replace NFL players with people off the street, you deserve the UFL. For every player in ANY pro sport, theres guys who can and probably would do their jobs, who didn't get the chance to go to school and enter the draft. And to think the only ones capabable of doing so are the ones currantly in the NFL is absolutly absurd.
If I rememebr correctly there was this movie made a few years back about a reg joe,( Vince Papale) a bartender who went to OPEN tryouts with the Eagles and GOT a job.
If teh NFL is such an exclusive club of seemingly "can't be compared to humans", then why not still have open tryouts on a LARGE bassis.
The owners didn't have a hard time replacing these prima donnas in 82,or 87

And better to watch the UFL, CFL, hell even the league in Europe, than a bunch of over priced pansies sit around and bitch they don't make enough. At least those guys are actually playing

Chiefshrink
02-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I think sooner or later the players are going to realize that without the owners the majority of them would be living in a housing project somewhere.

On the other hand without the players most NFL owners would just be making money in some other business. Maybe not as much, maybe not as exciting and fun, but they'd still be making the coin.

I think the players are about to get a little finance 101 (since most of them probably got the rubber stamp on that class in college).

From what I understand, without a CBA, 500+ free agents will basically become unemployed in March. We all know how well NFL players tend to manage their finances. I think a good number of those will start putting pressure on their own side to get a deal done come March.

DT

This is just too much "common sense" for the 'players and especially DeMaurice Smith(Reperations Lawyer:rolleyes:) too realize:thumb:

Those evil white NFL slave owners:rolleyes:

I would venture to guess that 98% of all black entertainers whether it be film, music or sports would tell you 'their mansion or multiple mansions, 'on the plantation' is a VERY GOOD LIFE:thumb:

Don't bite the hand that feeds you!!!! "We the Fans" feed you Morons!!

|Zach|
02-06-2011, 10:07 AM
This is just too much "common sense" for the 'players and especially DeMaurice Smith(Reperations Lawyer:rolleyes:) too realize:thumb:

I would venture to guess that 98% of all black entertainers whether it be film, music or sports would tell you 'their mansion or multiple mansions, 'on the plantation' is a VERY GOOD LIFE:thumb:

Do you really think 98% of entertainers black or white have mansions?

lol.

Brock
02-06-2011, 10:07 AM
For every player in ANY pro sport, theres guys who can and probably would do their jobs, who didn't get the chance to go to school and enter the draft. And to think the only ones capabable of doing so are the ones currantly in the NFL is absolutly absurd.
If I rememebr correctly there was this movie made a few years back about a reg joe,( Vince Papale) a bartender who went to OPEN tryouts with the Eagles and GOT a job.

Vince Papale sucked ass. He was a fringe special teams player and nothing more. If you enjoy watching UFL football, second rate shitty players, more power to you.

RedNFeisty
02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
For every player in ANY pro sport, theres guys who can and probably would do their jobs, who didn't get the chance to go to school and enter the draft. And to think the only ones capabable of doing so are the ones currantly in the NFL is absolutly absurd.

Babe, I get your point, but a lot of NFL players are from the projects with no other real chance in life other then sports. Your argument isn't really valid, especially since you brought up Vince, he proved that anyone with real talent can walk into an open practice and secure a job.

RedNFeisty
02-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Best statement made!!!

Chiefshrink
02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Do you really think 98% of entertainers black or white have mansions?

lol.

You truly are the 'town' or should I say the 'planet idiot':thumb:

|Zach|
02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
You truly are the 'town' or should I say the 'planet idiot':thumb:

Do you know how many blacks are in the "film, music or sports" industries?

You referred to 98% and their mansions.

That is ridiculous.

Chiefshrink
02-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Do you know how many blacks are in the "film, music or sports" industries?

You referred to 98% and their mansions.

That is ridiculous.

And this is why you continue to be the 'CP idiot':thumb: Everyone else gets my point but apparently you want to "split hairs' and continue to be the "CP idiot":spock:

How about I rephrase it for you and say 98% of the top earning 5% of black entertainers? :rolleyes:

Make you feel better?

JASONSAUTO
02-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Nice to hear that clark was one of the five owners that took part of the meeting.

Guess he does care.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Tragic:

"Unfortunately for all in attendance, Kansas City Chiefs Quarterback and super-awesome Pro Bowl Alternate(!) Matt Cassel happened to pass by the meeting room, so everyone promptly stabbed themselves to death with their butter knives rather than risk contamination by Cassel's airborne suck-virus".

InChiefsHell
02-07-2011, 06:07 AM
I have no problem with the players getting a large chunk of the revenues made in the NFL, after all, they ARE the ones who make it happen in the end. But, without the owners who put up their money and risk a LOT to run a franchise, those players would not be playing.

In the end, I don't know who's really right or wrong, but I refuse to believe that these players are being totally abused here...shit, if anyone gets abused it's us fans, but we sign up for that abuse cuz we love our teams.

...we're like battered wives that way I guess...

Over-Head
02-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Vince Papale sucked ass. He was a fringe special teams player and nothing more. If you enjoy watching UFL football, second rate shitty players, more power to you.
We`ll have to agree to disagree Brock.

Over-Head
02-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Babe, I get your point, but a lot of NFL players are from the projects with no other real chance in life other then sports. .
Any person has a chance in life, IF your willing to work hard enough to go for it.

Your argument isn't really valid,especially since you brought up Vince, he proved that anyone with real talent can walk into an open practice and secure a job.
Ok, now your disagreeing, but yet agreeing in the same sentence. Which is it
ONLY those fortunate enough to be drafted are worty of suiting up
OR
That in a world of Billion`s people there`s no way on earth we could fill 32 teams with players who can actually play, as they have talent, but yet wern`t lucky enough to have it realized.

Vince isn't the only man on the face of the planet who could have pulled it off.

Brock
02-07-2011, 08:31 AM
I have no problem with the players getting a large chunk of the revenues made in the NFL, after all, they ARE the ones who make it happen in the end. But, without the owners who put up their money and risk a LOT to run a franchise, those players would not be playing.

The owners risk a lot to run a franchise? Maybe in 1960. The worst run teams in the NFL make a shit ton of money.

InChiefsHell
02-07-2011, 08:39 AM
The owners risk a lot to run a franchise? Maybe in 1960. The worst run teams in the NFL make a shit ton of money.

Well, I think a lot of that is due to revenue sharing. If the league didn't band together to save those poorly run franchises, I'd bet there'd be a lot more of teams folding or moving, and it would be very frequent. But it's not like the owners don't have a certain risk. They could lose a lot of money but the team won't go under because the NFL shares money, but that doesn't take away from the risk that an owner bears. Just sayin'. I don't feel sorry for them much either by the way...

philfree
02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
"On the other hand without the players most NFL owners would just be making money in some other business. Maybe not as much, maybe not as exciting and fun, but they'd still be making the coin."

If they took their (the owners) investments from football and put them in a 401 K they could probably scrape by in their retirement years. I'm beginning to think DeMaurice Smith is out to make a name for himself and nothing more. He's "one tough ass negotiator".:rolleyes:

Brock
02-07-2011, 11:07 AM
"On the other hand without the players most NFL owners would just be making money in some other business. Maybe not as much, maybe not as exciting and fun, but they'd still be making the coin."

If they took their investments from football and put them in a 401 K they could probably scrape by in their retirement years. I'm beginning to think DeMaurice Smith is out to make a name for himself and nothing more. He's "one tough ass negotiator".:rolleyes:

Given that the average life expectancy of an NFL lineman is 55, I don't think "retirement years" is the problem.

philfree
02-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Given that the average life expectancy of an NFL lineman is 55, I don't think "retirement years" is the problem.

I was speaking about the owners. They seem to live a long time.