PDA

View Full Version : Football The fix is in! Superbowl edition

keg in kc
02-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Know this has been a recurring topic of sorts in the last year, sports betting and fixed games, etc.

Brian Tuohy is the guy I'm most familiar with looking into this kind of thing, and here's his prediction for the game (http://www.thefixisin.net/sbpick.html):Here is the information I have received: Super Bowl XLV will be decided by the actions - or more likely non-actions - of referee Walt Anderson and his crew. With the very real potential of the NFL owners locking out its players next season, the last thing the NFL wants is to see its crown jewel marred by a "bad call" and have its fans left with that rotten taste in their mouths for perhaps two seasons.

If penalties are to come, they will come early to keep things close. The second half will be free-wheeling and allow the players to seemingly determine who wins and loses. The whistles will be quiet and the flags kept in their pockets. Watch for one of these non-calls to influence the game's outcome.

There is a very real chance this becomes the first Super Bowl to go into overtime, setting up controversy - the kind the NFL enjoys - with the new playoff overtime rules coming into effect and making this game "one for the ages."

That said, you're asking, who wins?

The NFL is not naive to the numerous internet rumors and conspiracy theories surrounding the past two Steelers' Super Bowl victories. Add on top of that the off-the-field issues of Ben Roethlisberger, the controversy surrounding James Harrison and his helmet-to-helmet hits, and Hines Ward bashing of the league and all signs point to:

PACKERS WIN.

Enjoy this "presentation of the National Football League"

FAX
02-06-2011, 05:48 PM
So far, so good.

FAX

jAZ
02-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Is this the guy from C2C last night?

jAZ
02-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Did you hear him talking about how Hank Stram were corrupt and talked about the Mob in KC at the time? I'd never heard such a suggestion.

jAZ
02-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Looks like he wrote about it and Google Books has some of it available.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ChsKSpRfMlYC&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=brian+tuohy+chiefs&source=bl&ots=fJnGE_d7qI&sig=CfjtF8SJXClwgISSnRQaeyzonXw&hl=en&ei=vkNPTYnEA460sAOXtbTZCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

FAX
02-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Did you hear him talking about how Hank Stram were corrupt and talked about the Mob in KC at the time? I'd never heard such a suggestion.

There have been rumors about the mob and Hank for many, many years. Both in KC and NO.

Nick Saban (sp?) has talked about it before, actually. Vague rumors, but persistent ones.

FAX

WilliamTheIrish
02-06-2011, 07:03 PM

I don't remember Hank being tied to any of it. I do remember very well that Kansas City's native son Nick Civella was rumored to be involved in the gambling story that surrounded Lenny during the 1969 Super Bowl.

keg in kc
02-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I think an NFL game would be too difficult to fix - too many moving parts - but this game is unveiling like it's following a script. Big GB lead, Pittsburgh slowly crawls back into it, GB players start going down with injuries. Could be an interesting second half.

Saul Good
02-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I think an NFL game would be too difficult to fix - too many moving parts - but this game is unveiling like it's following a script. Big GB lead, Pittsburgh slowly crawls back into it, GB players start going down with injuries. Could be an interesting second half.

So the players are in on it too?

RJ
02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't believe NFL outcomes are fixed but I do believe that referees favor offenses at the end of games. Basically, I think the NFL doesn't like to see end of game drives in the playoffs snuffed out at the 50 if they can help keep them alive.

ChiefsCountry
02-06-2011, 08:16 PM

How come Freddy Arbanas only has one eye? It wasn't bc of a "barfight."

SNR
02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Prediction looks accurate so far

SNR
02-06-2011, 08:53 PM
This is good.... this is good. Me likey

jAZ
02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
This sounds like the full story on Len Dawson and the Chiefs and point shaving.

Good read:
http://books.google.com/books?id=YR9eg_06dQcC&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=Donald+Dawson+gambling&source=bl&ots=P7sO44dA1S&sig=xyBh8rErq9aUFxu1N-ZuOm3qsYE&hl=en&ei=RnhPTeWIF4GqsAO8lcC-Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Donald%20Dawson%20gambling&f=false

stlchiefs
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Interesting read. I had never heard anything about Hank or Lenny and gambling up until now.

DaFace
02-06-2011, 11:24 PM
That guy's learned from fortune tellers. That was incredibly vague - the way it's written, it would be "right" no matter how the game had gone.

FD
02-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Only really bad call I can remember off the top of my head was the phantom facemask called against Green Bay. Was there anything else?

notorious
02-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Only really bad call I can remember off the top of my head was the phantom facemask called against Green Bay. Was there anything else?

Some idiot Pittsburgh fans are going crazy over the last play. It was as clean a play as you will see on 4th down, so I don't understand their butthurt.

FD
02-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Some idiot Pittsburgh fans are going crazy over the last play. It was as clean a play as you will see on 4th down, so I don't understand their butthurt.

People will always complain about the last play. It seemed clean to me.

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't remember Hank being tied to any of it. I do remember very well that Kansas City's native son Nick Civella was rumored to be involved in the gambling story that surrounded Lenny during the 1969 Super Bowl.

Yep.

It's always amazing to me that people that lived in KC during the 50's, 60's and mid-to-late 70's are completely unaware of the Mafia's influence in Kansas City, or that Vegas was built through KC via the Civella family.

I attribute it to KC being so spread out, but anyone who grew up on the North End during that time knew the deal.

salame
02-06-2011, 11:49 PM
was dane at the superbowl?

Nzoner
02-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Do yourself a favor and take 8 minutes to watch this

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/utO9jtDpsmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
02-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Here's his comments on this year's game:The Fix Is In's Official (& Insider) Pick for Super Bowl XLVI (http://www.thefixisin.net/superbowlxlvi.html)

A few thoughts to mull over first....

According to RJ Bell at Pregame.com, the Las Vegas sports book have a 19-2 record for the past 21 Super Bowls. One of those two losses was in Super Bowl XLII, when the NY Giants beat the Patriots. As of Super Bowl Sunday morning most of the money is on the Giants, both with the spread and the money line, yet a majority of betting--including the "smart money"--will occur near kickoff perhaps altering on which side the bettors are on overall. Either way the Patriots are a -3 favorite. The favorite has won 73% of all Super Bowls (33-12). Which way do you bet knowing these stats?

There feels like eight billion interviews and news stories take place in the two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. But who won't you hear from in that time? The head referee or any of his crew. Why?

The NFL named John Parry as the head referee for the game on Feb. 1. The rest of the crew consists of umpire Carl Paganelli, head linesman Tom Stabile, line judge Gary Arthur, field judge Gary Cavaletto, side judge Laird Hayes and back judge Tony Steratore. The replay assistant will be former NFL referee Larry Nemmers. This crew has never worked together before. Is that the best decision for the biggest game of the year?

Head referee John Parry ranked 3rd in for most holding calls, 4th in roughing the passer calls, and 7th for defensive pass interference calls. Considering holding has been called in only four of the 10 playoff games this season, let's see if Parry holds true to his reputation.

As an oddity - and who doesn't love themselves some strangeness on Super Bowl Sunday - New York is playing Boston on what's the 10th Anniversary of the attacks of 9/11 in which flights originating from Boston crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City. The Patriots won the first post-9/11 Super Bowl, and are now playing in the same game 10 years later. Both teams' colors are red, white, and blue. The Department of Homeland Security has issued several warnings and conducted drills concerning a potential terrorist attack at a major sporting event. Honestly, would anything be more affecting than some sort of bombing at the Super Bowl? For those of you really conspiratorial minded, check out the Nuclear Bible for more on these thoughts.

So assuming the game's not blown up or that the "right-to-work" union mobs don't occupy/rally outside the stadium and create a riot situation, here's what you're going to get in the game:

My sources are telling me two conflicting tales. One side is telling me this game will be legit, the other is saying its fixed and fixed for one side. If it's fixed for the one side, the game's going to end up being a "laugher." In other words, a potential blow-out. The favored team will be up double-digits by halftime and never look back.

Penalties will be one-sided, and if the other team stays in the game, it will because they are the better team yet can't overcome the forces against them.

The winner?

The New England Patriots

Why the Patriots? Two main reasons: (1) A victory and the Spygate scandal will forever be forgotten and forgiven. The Patriots have not won a championship since the scandal broke - and in fact lost the Super Bowl in a lackluster performance to these same New York Giants the year the story was front page news in a game I believe the Patriots dumped - and now is the time to give them that win back. (2) Patriots owner Robert Kraft dedicated this season to his late wife. She died during the negotiations of the off-season lockout, and he (supposedly) could not be by her side during her passing. Another Super Bowl championship will heal those wounds and be a tip of the cap from the other owners for Kraft's work and sacrifice.

One footnote on this (well, two): My source from last year did not return. The above is based on other info I've obtained. Also, the New York Giants website already posted a notice that the team won the Super Bowl. It was quickly retracted, but it was still caught and publicized. I believe this to be a ruse, yet ESPN posted a poll prior to the New Orleans Saints-Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl asking "which of these Super Bowl winning QBs...." The list of choices included Saints' QB Drew Brees. This, too, was quickly pulled yet wound up being quite prophetic.

morphius
02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I haven't seen any OL holding calls in the playoffs, so it should be easy to tell if one team suddenly starts having calls go against them.

DaFace
02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
So what you're saying is that he blames the refs every year. Noted.

keg in kc
02-05-2012, 10:13 PM
So what you're saying is that he blames the refs every year. Noted.As far as I can tell, I'm not saying anything at all. Other than saying I'm not saying anything.

listopencil
02-05-2012, 11:57 PM
I will own up to the fact that I predicted the New England Patriots would beat the New York Giants in a "laugher." Though the prediction was wrong - really, really wrong - that doesn't make my work here on this website and in my book(s) incorrect at all. I'm not in the prediction business. I'm in the "professional sports leagues are lying to you" business - and that business is still very good.

http://www.thefixisin.net/superbowlxlvi.html