PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Another Example of the Atrocity called the NCAA

reschief
02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Seriously? The NCAA is taking 1/2 a kid's season for this? How can they justify this compared to Cam Newton's dad demanding 200k for his son's services? Well, college baseball just doesn't produce the $ that football does. . . . so is that the rationale?

WSU freshman may miss part of baseball season
2 Comments
BY PAUL SUELLENTROP
The Wichita Eagle

Wichita State freshman pitcher Albert Minnis could miss half the season because his adviser made improper contact with the Atlanta Braves last summer.

WSU is waiting on a final report from the NCAA, at which time it can choose to appeal the decision. The Braves picked Minnis, a left-hander from Lawrence, in the 33rd round of the June draft.

The NCAA penalized Minnis 50 percent of the season, 28 games.

"We're waiting on that to see what their rationale was for the decision on 50 percent," WSU associate athletic director for student services Korey Torgerson said. "It's not totally over. We can't start the appeals process until we have the written report."

Multiple sources said Minnis had no knowledge of the contact between the adviser whom Torgerson would not name and the Braves.

"In June or July, his adviser initiated two telephone calls and four text messages with the Braves," Torgerson said. "That jeopardized his ability to be certified as an amateur. Because of the impermissible phone calls and text messages, they believe the adviser became an agent and was marketing Albert's athletic ability."

Torgerson called the contact innocuous, with the adviser asking when and if the pro team planned to watch Minnis pitch. The Braves did not offer Minnis a contract.

"The Braves never made an offer to Albert, so there were no negotiations," Torgerson said. "The adviser has basically indicated, and Albert has to, that Albert did not direct the adviser to have contact with the Braves."

WSU coach Gene Stephenson declined to comment. The Shockers begin the season on Feb. 18.

Many, but not all, drafted players use advisers. Advisers are not permitted to contact professional teams or market the athlete during contract negotiations

chiefzilla1501
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't understand the reasoning.

The kid deserves to be suspended if the allegations are true. The issue isn't that this guy is getting suspended, it's that Cam Newton should have been too.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the NCAA is far more consistent in punishing NCAA players outside of football, because there is less money to be lost if a marquee program loses a prospect. In NCAA Football, you suspend Cam Newton, and you give TCU or Boise State a much clearer road to the BCS Championship, which is the last thing the NCAA wants.

Buehler445
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
:Facepalm:

JFC
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Ignoring the Cam Newton reference, I'm finding it hard to see why this is such a atrocity. Seems pretty clear he had an advisor/agent contact a pro ball club.

sedated
02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Devils advocate says Cam Newton’s father is a family member, while this guy was not. Family can do a lot more to “student” athletes than people outside the family can.

teedubya
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
baseball is a different beast and should be handled differently. Kids can be drafted right out of highschool in baseball... not in the other sports.

So, it would make sense that these kids would look at their options.

Valiant
02-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't understand the reasoning.

The kid deserves to be suspended if the allegations are true. The issue isn't that this guy is getting suspended, it's that Cam Newton should have been too.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the NCAA is far more consistent in punishing NCAA players outside of football, because there is less money to be lost if a marquee program loses a prospect. In NCAA Football, you suspend Cam Newton, and you give TCU or Boise State a much clearer road to the BCS Championship, which is the last thing the NCAA wants.

Why?? If he did not know the adviser did it,then I would be suing the NCAA and using the Newton case as evidence..

Something needs to be done to get the NCAA honest..

milkman
02-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Ignoring the Cam Newton reference, I'm finding it hard to see why this is such a atrocity. Seems pretty clear he had an advisor/agent contact a pro ball club.

Why does it "seem pretty clear that he had an agent/advisor" contact a pro ball club?

The article clearly states that he had no knowledge of the contact.

And why ignore the Newton reference?

If Newton had no knowledge of his father's demands for his kid's services thene this kid surely had no knowledge of this contact, cause you know, in both cases that what was/is being said.

And just in case I'm not being clear on this, you're naive if you believe that Newton was unaware of his father's actions.

Pushead2
02-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Why does it "seem pretty clear that he had an agent/advisor" contact a pro ball club?

If Newton had no knowledge of his father's demands for his kid's services thene this kid surely had no knowledge of this contact, cause you know, in both cases that what was/is being said.

And just in case I'm not being clear on this, you're naive if you believe that Newton was unaware of his father's actions.

this x 1,000,000

Dave Lane
02-08-2011, 06:31 AM

Anyone that believes that is a complete moran (CPLIC) seriously there is a 0% chance he didn't know.

reschief
02-08-2011, 08:18 AM

Absolutely correct. The NCAA is [I]supposed[I] to be even handed in all matters of alleged rule violations & it shouldn't matter whether the sport is a big time money maker or not. How harmful is it to anyone (particularly other college baseball programs) to have an alleged advisor ask a MLB team about if & when they are going to see a kid pitch? and the kid doesn't know about it?

reschief
02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Anyone that believes that is a complete moran (CPLIC) seriously there is a 0% chance he didn't know.

Why is there a 0% chance the kid didn't know? and assuming for argument. . . let's say he did know. . .where's the harm? or competitve advantage to the kid or program? (there were no negotiations for the kids services). And Cam Newton gets a pass? :spock:

milkman
02-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Why is there a 0% chance the kid didn't know? and assuming for argument. . . let's say he did know. . .where's the harm? or competitve advantage to the kid or program? (there were no negotiations for the kids services). And Cam Newton gets a pass? :spock:

He's talking about Cam Newton.

reschief
02-08-2011, 09:00 AM
He's talking about Cam Newton.

opps! my bad.

The whole Cam Newton thing doesn't pass the smell test. Maybe in a year or two the truth will come out. . .a.k.a. Reggie Bush style.

WilliamTheIrish
02-08-2011, 09:08 AM
The NCAA doesn't like "advisors". It's that simple. They are a threat to how they do business. Although in this case, NCAA baseball is a net loser for for most every athletic department. So they can puish freely an not harm themsleves.

There are hundreds of faces throughout the NCAA that the NCAA turns a blind eye to with regard to shady dealing. But it's about money. And the NCAA wants their cut.

reschief
02-08-2011, 09:47 AM
The NCAA doesn't like "advisors". It's that simple. They are a threat to how they do business. Although in this case, NCAA baseball is a net loser for for most every athletic department. So they can puish freely an not harm themsleves.

There are hundreds of faces throughout the NCAA that the NCAA turns a blind eye to with regard to shady dealing. But it's about money. And the NCAA wants their cut.

Can't disagree with the reality of $$$ and how it affects what the NCAA does or does not do. I suppose I don't want to be cynical . . .but it's the NCAA & they screw whoever & whomever they want with impunity. It seems like a young kid should be able to get some advice about his skills & draft potential as long as negotiations aren't in it. The lessons is, let you dad do it if you're big time in a big time sport.