PDA

View Full Version : Science For Big Daddy: A lack of roundworms linked to a rise in autism?

Fat Elvis
02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
PARASITIC WORMS MAY TREAT AUTISM, IMMUNE DISEASES

Here's a big wow....the story, told by Bob Grant in The Scientist -- of how a father's desperate search for a cure for his severely autistic son has helped propel the investigation of how roundworms may be used to treat autism and several other diseases, including Crohn's disease and multiple sclerosis.

The genesis of this treatment lies in the agrarian lifestyles to which we humans had, over thousands of years, adjusted so well.

The Iowa researchers knew that when people moved from less developed to more developed countries, the rates of autoimmune diseases rose in the immigrant population. For example, in populations moving in the 1970s and 1980s from India, a country with high incidences of worm infection, to the United Kingdom, where such infections are rarer, the incidence of Crohn’s disease increased rapidly. And in the 1930s and 1940s epidemiologists had found virtually no occurrence of bowel disorders in children living in the rural southern states of the United States. Because pig farming was done on a regional basis and many rural dwellers lived in close proximity to their livestock, worm infections were much more common outside urban areas. As nationwide programs were launched to tamp down worm infections among rural populations and migration to urban areas increased, autoimmune diseases became more prevalent.

Here's a video of a presentation Stewart Johnson made in 2007 about the treatment of his son, Larry Johnson, whose extremely violent and self-abusive behavior disappeared when he began drinking a concoction of roundworm eggs. He continues to take the treatment, and continues to be violence-free. That's enough to get anyone over the ewwww factor. More information on Johnson's site, autismtso.com.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r_R_sHV8H9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fat Elvis
02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Larry Johnson....

bowener
02-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I bet he spits that concoction into some bitches face.

mikey23545
02-10-2011, 01:09 AM
It's Bush's fault.

talastan
02-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Give me the Phillip Fry worm infestation!

Rausch
02-10-2011, 08:58 AM
No more violent outbursts but it's hard to explain him dragging his naked ass around on the carpet 2 hours a day...

B_Ambuehl
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
He's not the only one. Look into homeostatic soil organisms. The basic idea is we don't get enough outdoor exposure to dirt and not enough good bacteria in our digestive tract because of it.

Simplex3
02-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Every time my kids are sick my father in law asks if he'd like some dirt from his farm to feed the kids. Who knew he was a genius?

Fat Elvis
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM
He's not the only one. Look into homeostatic soil organisms. The basic idea is we don't get enough outdoor exposure to dirt and not enough good bacteria in our digestive tract because of it.

bingo

tiptap
02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
We evolved with all types of attacks on our immune systems out in the wild. Now a days we live in a quite relatively sterile existence. It does help to be exposed to low amounts of antigen early in life.

Rausch
02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
bingo

There's a huge difference between beneficial bacteria and harmful parasites that can shut down major organs.

The worms listed in the article have worked their way into the lymph nodes, brain, nasal passages, and have been known to attempt escape during anesthesia.

Yes, they'll crawl out your ass or nose while you're under...

Infection is initially asymptomatic; symptoms usually develop when the worm erupts. Local symptoms include intense itching and a burning pain at the site of the skin lesion. Urticaria, erythema, dyspnea, vomiting, and pruritus are thought to reflect allergic reactions to worm antigens. If the worm is broken during expulsion or extraction, a severe inflammatory reaction ensues with disabling pain. Symptoms subside and the ulcer heals once the adult worm is expelled. In about 50% of cases, secondary bacterial infections occur along the track of the emerging worm. Chronic sequelae include fibrous ankylosis of joints and contraction of tendons.

Fat Elvis
02-10-2011, 01:03 PM
There's a huge difference between beneficial bacteria and harmful parasites that can shut down major organs.

The worms listed in the article have worked their way into the lymph nodes, brain, nasal passages, and have been known to attempt escape during anesthesia.

Yes, they'll crawl out your ass or nose while you're under...

http://www.wired.com/underwire/wp-content/gallery/cult-art-gallery/blue-velvet-660.jpg

Problem solved.

Rausch
02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
http://www.wired.com/underwire/wp-content/gallery/cult-art-gallery/blue-velvet-660.jpg

Problem solved.

Dennis Hopper on Nitrous Oxide would seriously amp up my Vegas weekend but doesn't do much (for me, just my opinion) as far as autism cures go...

Fat Elvis
02-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Dennis Hopper on Nitrous Oxide would seriously amp up my Vegas weekend but doesn't do much (for me, just my opinion) as far as autism cures go...

Doesn't cure autism, just causes worms to crawl out your butt.

mnchiefsguy
02-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow, pretty amazing stuff. Props to the Dad for thinking outside of the box and willing to do what it takes to help his son.

BucEyedPea
02-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Also ultra-sound is thought to be another cause. Tho' a parasite cleanse every year or every two helps with health.

Rausch
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Wow, pretty amazing stuff. Props to the Dad for thinking outside of the box and willing to do what it takes to help his son.