PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Security forces clash with demonstrators in Iran

Donger
02-14-2011, 11:35 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/14/iran.protests/index.html?hpt=T2

Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- Tens of thousands of demonstrators marched along Revolution Avenue in downtown Tehran on Monday, protesting the government of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, witnesses said.

The wave of people remained largely silent as they walked toward the capital city's Azadi Square, but then clashed with Iranian security forces that tried to disperse the marchers and divert them from the square.

Security forces in uniform and plain-clothes members of the pro-government Basij militia rushed toward crowds that were chanting "Death to the dictator!" at Imam Hossein Square, the planned starting point of a scheduled rally, a witness said. Several people were hit, while most were chased away, the witness said.

At least 100 security personnel lined the avenue, allowing the march to continue but preventing the marchers from congregating in the square, considered a rallying point by opposition groups.

Riot police on motorcycles patrolled the streets. Some fired tear gas to disperse the protesters, the witness said.

The witnesses declined to be named for fear of retribution.

The Iranian government earlier had blocked the homes of opposition leaders after they called for rallies in support of the uprising in Egypt.

Clashes also erupted in front of Tehran University, where security forces dispersed crowds by firing tear gas and paint-ball guns, a witness said. Police detained several protesters, the witness said.

Last week, the Iranian government rounded up activists after opposition leaders Mehdi Karrubi and Mir Hossein Moussavi called for supporters to gather at Tehran's Azadi Square -- the site of mass protests by Iran's opposition movement after the disputed 2009 presidential elections.

Hundreds of security forces patrolled Azadi Square on Monday on foot, on motorcycles and in cars, a witness said.

"You can't take two steps without running into security personnel," the witness said. "They're all over the place."

Security forces also blocked roads leading to Moussavi's home, his opposition website Kaleme reported. The website also said phone lines and cell phone service to the area have been cut off.

Plain-clothes security forces blocked Moussavi's wife, Zahra Rahnavard, from leaving their home Monday, according to Kaleme and another opposition website, Saham News.

"This is what we've been told do," security forces said when Rahnavard asked why she couldn't leave, Saham reported. "We're sorry."

Surveillance cameras installed outside Karrubi's home have been stolen and destroyed, Kaleme reported.

About 50 riot police on motorcycles were seen heading toward Azadi Square, while 100 more were stationed at Ferdowsi Square in the city center.

Iranian authorities had warned against holding the rally, according to the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency.

"We definitely see them as enemies of the revolution and spies, and we will confront them with force," Revolutionary Guard Cmdr. Hossein Hamedani told IRNA.

The government's stance on the rally was in stark contrast to its position in the days following the fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

The head of Iran's National Security Council and other Iranian authorities had lauded this development, comparing "the Egyptian Revolution with the victory of Iran's Islamic Revolution," according to Iran's state-run media.

The White House says such threats to stifle dissent and mass communication suggest that Iran's government is not willing to let its people voice their views and embrace freedom.

"They are scared," then-press secretary Robert Gibbs said Friday, hours after Mubarak stepped down.

"That's why they threatened to kill anybody that tries to do this," Gibbs of the Iranian government. "That's why they have shut off all measure of communication."

Over the weekend, Iranian authorities blocked the word "Bahman" -- the 11th month of the Persian calendar -- from internet searches within the country, according to an opposition website.

The measure appears to be an effort by Iranian authorities to obstruct access to several websites that are promoting the rally -- the 25th day of Bahman, Saham News reported Saturday.

Amnorix
02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I guess I'm worried that the "moderate oppressive dictatorships", like Egypt, which may well be US-friendly will fall while the extremist oppressive dictatorships, like Iran, which are basically nutbags, will just shoot their own people or do whatever is necessary to preserve the existing power structure.

Bowser
02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I guess I'm worried that the "moderate oppressive dictatorships", like Egypt, which may well be US-friendly will fall while the extremist oppressive dictatorships, like Iran, which are basically nutbags, will just shoot their own people or do whatever is necessary to preserve the existing power structure.

What would be the reaction not just from us, but worldwide if we get a glimpse of security forces mowing down their own in the square?

Donger
02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
What would be the reaction not just from us, but worldwide if we get a glimpse of security forces mowing down their own in the square?

Strong statement of not liking it, and going along with a UN condemnation (if they did so).

Donger
02-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Well, what do they really have to fear? I suppose that they could get more UN sanctions, but other than that?

vailpass
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Yep. The countries like Iran is where the good people taking back their country would benefit us most and are least likely to occur. I'm hoping for the Iranian people to be free but not holding my breath.

Bowser
02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Well, what do they really have to fear? I suppose that they could get more UN sanctions, but other than that?

True. The world is pretty "warred out" when it comes to the ME. If any type of militaristic retaliation were to take place for Ahmadinejad killing his own people for demonstrating, it would have to be a strong coalition, and Russia would most likely have to be a participant.

vailpass

We will taunt them a second time.

Bowser
We will taunt them a second time.

"I FART in your general direction!"

Chief Henry
02-14-2011, 01:37 PM

We could soon find out...very soon.

We could soon find out what kind of stones Obama really has.

Direckshun
02-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Bingo.

George Packer wrote that the success of every revolution depends almost entirely on how willing the government is to mow down their fellow citizens.

Burma is the example you're fearing.

My general opinion is that as more and more of the moderates fall, though, it will lead to increasingly harsh circumstances for the remaining extremists to continue standing.

But that is a long game, at best.

Direckshun
02-14-2011, 02:13 PM

In terms of hard power, next to nothing.

In terms of soft power, there could be consequences (there have been consequences already).

In terms of soft power if the entire world is watching (a la Egypt), there could be very significant blowback for the regime.

Direckshun
02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
True. The world is pretty "warred out" when it comes to the ME.

The past 2000 years have proven you dead wrong on that score.

Never throw international meddling out of the picture when it comes to the Middle East.

Direckshun
02-14-2011, 02:15 PM

I don't know exactly what Obama can do. This is an Iranian issue.

If you want him to start a third Middle East war in 10 years, you're high on goofballs.

Iowanian
02-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't see anything changing in Iran without a lot of blood.

Bowser
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM
The past 2000 years have proven you dead wrong on that score.

Never throw international meddling out of the picture when it comes to the Middle East.

I meant the world as a whole. I don't think the ME will ever be done killing each other off. It's what they know and what they do.

LaDairis
02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Yes, indeed, "no difference" between Ahmadinejad and Rafsanjani...

at least, that's the FIXED version of things...

If two sides fight, they must be the same according to FIXED, just like Northern Alliance became "the terrorists" despite trying to kill Taliban and AQ as we arrived...

vailpass
02-14-2011, 02:30 PM

If two sides fight, they must be the same according to FIXED, just like Northern Alliance became "the terrorists" despite trying to kill Taliban and AQ as we arrived...

You're pretty sure the godamn dirty jews are at the bottom of all this aren't they? We need to shake off that Zionist leash right? W was equally to blame for all this right?

Radar Chief
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM

:spock: The Northern Alliance fought the Taliban alongside US troops "when we arrived".

LaDairis
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
W is 100% responsible for the election of Ahmadinejad in 2005, and also

1. making Osama not a priority
2. sending way too few after him
3. flipping off those at war with him and

4. lying to sell out our troops to "liberate" the greatest new AQ recruit opportunity in Iraq

Are you disputing any of that, because I am always eager to document the truth to W supporters who are a bit confused...

LaDairis
02-14-2011, 02:40 PM
:spock: The Northern Alliance fought the Taliban alongside US troops "when we arrived".

Searching for "Northern Alliance" and "Iran" will produce much.

The best reporting on the actuality, with quotes from actual people involved, is here...

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?articleId=11539

"The September 11 attacks created an entirely new strategic context for engagement with Iran. The evening of 9-11, Flynt Leverett, a career CIA analyst who was then at the State Department as a counter-terrorism expert, and a small group of officials met with Powell. It was the beginning of work on a diplomatic strategy in support of the U.S. effort to destroy the Taliban regime in Afghanistan and the al-Qaeda network it had harbored. The main aim was to gain the cooperation of states that were considered sponsors of terrorism.

"The United States was about to mount a global war on terrorism with complete legitimacy from the United Nations," recalls Leverett, "and these states didn't want to get on the downside of it." Within weeks, Iran, Syria, Libya, and Sudan all approached the United States through various channels to offer their help in the fight against al-Qaeda. "The Iranians said we don't like al-Qaeda any better than you, and we have assets in Afghanistan that could be useful," Leverett recalls.

It was the beginning of a period of extraordinary strategic cooperation between Iran and the United States. As America began preparing for the military operation in Afghanistan, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs Ryan Crocker held a series of secret meetings with Iranian officials in Geneva. In those meetings, Iran offered search-and-rescue help, humanitarian assistance, and even advice on which targets to bomb in Afghanistan, according to one former administration official. The Iranians, who had been working for years with the main anti-Taliban coalition, the Northern Alliance, also advised the Americans about how to negotiate the major ethnic and political fault lines in the country.

Chief Henry
02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't know exactly what Obama can do. This is an Iranian issue.

If you want him to start a third Middle East war in 10 years, you're high on goofballs.

Goofballs, no....reality, its a definate possibilty depending on who begits the power in Egypt and the rest of the ME.

The Mad Crapper
02-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Goofballs, no....reality, its a definate possibilty depending on who begits the power in Egypt and the rest of the ME.

Did he really say goofballs? ROFL

Direckshun
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't see anything changing in Iran without a lot of blood.

Sadly, I agree.

Direckshun
02-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I meant the world as a whole.

My point stands.

Direckshun
02-14-2011, 02:50 PM

You're supporting a third war in the Middle East.

Good luck with that.

Chief Henry
02-14-2011, 03:21 PM
You're supporting a third war in the Middle East.

Good luck with that.

I'm not supporting a 3rd war in the ME...but it could happen very easily if the wrong POS get in power.

Jaric
02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Did he really say goofballs? ROFL

I think that was supposed to be "gooballs." In which case I have DEFINITELY come to the right place.

Iowanian
02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
It took a lot of American blood to get our independence and it took a lot of Americans spilling American blood to get things on the right course.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson

I guess the Iranian people have to decide how badly they want freedom.

HonestChieffan
02-14-2011, 07:34 PM
It took a lot of American blood to get our independence and it took a lot of Americans spilling American blood to get things on the right course.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson

One wonders. If they dont press the issue now they have lost the opportunity and show that islam means more than freedom. I hope they take their shot and the free world stands with them to overthrow akmanutjob and the mullas of hate.

LaDairis
02-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Unfortunately, Ahmadinejad has been very effective. He has most of the military stocked with the more devout "revolutionaries" from certain regions. He rigged the election board. The best recent sign was that one of his generals cussed him out publicly. If he ever loses support in the military, those protest will get a lot bigger.

Of course, the best thing to have done would have been to recognize that Rafsanjani was infinitely preferable to Ahmadinejad and that Iran's "democracy" won't produce anyone more "pro western" than Rafsanjani, with the other alternative being...

and done things other than... to harm, in any way, the ability of Raf to win his third straight in 2005...

instead of completely maiming his credibility and stabbing him in the back in front of the world...

notorious
02-15-2011, 08:11 AM

That is the key.

The Iranian People.

Not the U.S.

Freedom must be earned from within. (Not that any of us know this since we were born into it.)

mlyonsd
02-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- Iranian lawmakers denounced Monday's protests in Tehran and called for the execution of two opposition leaders for inciting the demonstrations, Iran's state-run Press TV reported Tuesday.

Members of the Iranian parliament issued fiery chants against opposition leaders and former presidential candidates Mehdi Karrubi and Mir Hossein Moussavi.

Press TV aired video Tuesday of lawmakers chanting "Moussavi, Karrubi ... execute them."

Lawmakers also named former President Mohammad Khatami in some of the death chants.

The calls for the leaders' executions come after a particularly deadly month in Iran. At least 66 people were executed in January, according to Iranian media reports. Most of the executions were reportedly carried out for drug offenses, although at least three involved political prisoners, a U.N. statement said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/15/iran.protests/index.html?hpt=T2#

Radar Chief
02-15-2011, 10:07 AM

As long as their military remains loyal to the Ayatollah it won’t matter how much the people want freedom. The Ayatollah will be as ruthless as needed to maintain power.
That is the difference between Egypt and Iran, Mubarak lost the military.

LaDairis
02-15-2011, 01:05 PM
The Ayatollah is not the problem.

Ahmadinejad is.

HonestChieffan
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Ahmadinejad is.

line it up right you can get both with one shot

Radar Chief
02-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Ahmadinejad is.

The Ayatollah runs that country. Imadinnerjacket is his yapping dog puppet selected by the Ayatollah to be just that.

Chief Faithful
02-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Ahmadinejad is.

The Revolutionary Guard reports to the Ayatollah, not the Iranian government. The Guard owns almost the whole military manufacturing complex and smuggles arms to Hamas, Hezbollah and the Taliban. All the money that funds Hamas and Hezbollah come from the Guard. They operate outside the Iranian government and report directly to the Ayatollah. Almost all the mischief out of Iran comes from the Ayatollah. Ahmadinejad is meaningless.

LaDairis
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
"and smuggles arms to Hamas, Hezbollah and the Taliban. "

LOL!!!

Still "blurring" Taliban and NORTHERN ALLIANCE like a FIXED TRAITOR...

Amnorix
02-15-2011, 01:35 PM

What do they care unless someone is willing to invade them as a result?

And if they cut off the media from all access, those may be images we never get to see.

LaDairis
02-15-2011, 01:36 PM
The Ayatollah runs that country. Imadinnerjacket is his yapping dog puppet selected by the Ayatollah to be just that.

en u no dis es tru cuz Fixed newz tol u...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_presidential_election,_2005

The tabulated results follow:
e • d Summary of the 17 and 24 June 2005 Iranian Presidential election results Candidates Votes 1st round % Votes 2nd round %
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad 5,711,696 19.43 17,284,782 61.69
Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani 6,211,937 21.13 10,046,701 35.93
Mehdi Karroubi 5,070,114 17.24 - -
Mostafa Moeen 4,095,827 13.93 - -
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf 4,083,951 13.89 - -
Ali Larijani 1,713,810 5.83 - -
Mohsen Mehralizadeh 1,288,640 4.38 - -
Blank or invalid votes 1,224,882 4.17 663,770 2.37
Total (turnout 62.66% and 59.6%) 29,400,857 100 27,959,253 100

Amnorix
02-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Right. Nobody is going to invade them because they're mean to their own people. International condemnation is nice, but Russia and/or China will still sell them weaponry, etc., and the world still needs their oil, so...

Amnorix
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Stones to launch a THIRD military entanglement, when we still haven't rectified Afghanistan and we're in massive debt partly due to an absurd military budget?

And I very much doubt the American populace will support that war anyway.

Or do you just want to launch a few missiles at them, hope for a leadership kill strike, and cross your fingers?

There are no easy answers here.

Radar Chief
02-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Ima wetard wit teh Jooos Tourrets.

FYP

Amnorix
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Ahmadinejad is.

No statement could prove better that you know little about Iran than this.

LaDairis
02-15-2011, 02:00 PM
No statement is more true than what I posted, and that truth is documented right here

Rafsanjani wanted Osama and Taliban defeated and dead.

You, Israel, and W didn't...

LaDairis
02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle-east/Rafsanjanis-daughter-arrested-in-Iran/articleshow/4683868.cms

"The daughter of Iran's former president Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani and four relatives were arrested over their involvement in protests against alleged election fraud in Iran, the Fars news agency reported on Sunday.

Faezeh Hashemi, a renowned women's rights activist, former parliament deputy and head of women sports in Iran, has in the recent years emerged, like her father, as one of the main opponents of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad."

In Iran, the 80 year old Ayatollahs are like the Board of Directors of a public corporation, while the elected President is the CEO. When W called Raf's Iran "evil" for trying to off "not a priority" Osama, that proved to the Ayatollahs that Raf was unwise to trust us...

or... more precisely... our sold out traitor of a Zionist owned Bible Thumping Socialist worst ever "US President..."

go bowe
02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
FYPgood job... :D :D :D

go bowe
02-15-2011, 03:20 PM
No statement is more true than what I posted, and that truth is documented right here

Rafsanjani wanted Osama and Taliban defeated and dead.

You, Israel, and W didn't...documented?

that link documents some random article by a guy on the intrawebs...

as honey would say, it's his opinion, not fact...

go bowe
02-15-2011, 03:21 PM
seriously, just click on the quote button, you'll be amazed at how simple it is...

Jaric
02-15-2011, 03:24 PM
seriously, just click on the quote button, you'll be amazed at how simple it is...

That's how the government tracks you silly.

go bowe
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
oh shit, i forgot...

the nazi's will be at my door any minute now...

orange
02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
oh shit, i forgot...

the nazi's will be at my door any minute now...

You know, it just occurred to me... :spock:

Wouldn't "National Socialists" be "nazos?"

"Nazis" - "National ZIONISTS" maybe???? :eek:

LaDairis
02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
documented?

that link documents some random article by a guy on the intrawebs...

as honey would say, it's his opinion, not fact...

Then perhaps as a sub human Middle East "expert" you can tell us where it is wrong...

1. Was Iran arming and funding TNA?
2. Did Iran cooperate post 911?
3. Who is Doug Feith and why was he so interested in having the US flip off Iran, and hence TNA, with our troops still in Afghan???
4. What were the issues in the 2005 Iranian elections that caused Rafsanjani to lose for the first time in three tries?

The Mad Crapper
02-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Then perhaps as a sub human Middle East "expert" you can tell us where it is wrong...

1. Was Iran arming and funding TNA?
2. Did Iran cooperate post 911?
3. Who is Doug Feith and why was he so interested in having the US flip off Iran, and hence TNA, with our troops still in Afghan???
4. What were the issues in the 2005 Iranian elections that caused Rafsanjani to lose for the first time in three tries?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/94FuUEPkzrQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ClevelandBronco
02-15-2011, 07:27 PM
You know, it just occurred to me... :spock:

Wouldn't "National Socialists" be "nazos?"

"Nazis" - "National ZIONISTS" maybe???? :eek:

It's a marketing thing. Nazo doesn't sound as friendly as Nazi.

go bowe
02-16-2011, 02:27 AM
hey crap, this guy is what i would call a moonbat, to the max...

otoh, he could be a mult of you...

hmmmmm...

The Mad Crapper
02-16-2011, 05:00 AM

hmmmmm...

Smalls don't get down like that.

LaDairis
02-16-2011, 06:58 AM

hmmmmm...

Et es mutch esier fr kinswevtiv W supprtrs tu insut then debte...

go bowe
02-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Et es mutch esier fr kinswevtiv W supprtrs tu insut then debte...actually i'm not a conservative at all...

but that's alright, carry on...

LaDairis
02-16-2011, 03:44 PM
"actually i'm not a conservative at all..."

... neither was W, and that was why W was such a disaster for the US, because he was not at all conservative...

Direckshun
02-16-2011, 10:46 PM

Not necessarily. Every country is its own microcosm, in a sense.

Tunisia and Egypt would disagree with you, for instance.

Direckshun
02-16-2011, 10:49 PM
What do they care unless someone is willing to invade them as a result?

And if they cut off the media from all access, those may be images we never get to see.

Not necessarily.

There's a reason Iran waited to install their most brutal measures once world attention turned away in 2009. International attention is worth its price in gold to pro-democracy protestors in Iran.

In addition to that... the media play only a secondary role. The primary role in disseminating information will be the Iranian people, through sites like Twitter. Just like in 2009.

Direckshun
02-16-2011, 10:51 PM
en u no dis es tru cuz Fixed newz tol u...

You need to study the Iranian government structure.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2009/06/22/morning_iran/story.gif

LaDairis
02-17-2011, 07:10 AM
I'm beginning to think you are nothing but a fraud, a plant who is really

"anti-muslim"

by pretending to be one...

The difference between the Iran that had not caused any problems for a decade in 2001, that was at war with Taliban and AQ by funding Northern Alliance, the Iran that had a working "Islamic Democracy" that voted in a MODERATE Rafsanjani, who was not threatening other countries, who was willing and eager to help the US off Taliban...

and Iran under W's best buddy Ahmadinejad, is night and day, and it was all about one free and fair election that went THE WRONG WAY because of "axis of evil" and endless Iranian media coverage of Iraqi Sunnis blowing up Iraqi Shia mosques with the Americans telling the Shias they cannot arm themselves to stop the bombings...

Iran is no longer an "Islamic democracy," it is currently an "Islamist Dictatorship" thanks 100% to W and just W and only W...

If W had pursued US national interest and worked with IRan/TNA to wipe out Taliban/AQ, and doesn't sell out our troops in Iraq for the Zionist cash and media coverage that went for Bill Clinton in 1992, Ahmadinejad never wins, not even close.

But for some reason, I believe you have been enriched by Ahmadinejad, that like the "green$$" groups pushing the FRAUD of Global non-Warming, your "coffers" are more full when certain demographics are filled with nothing but factless FIXED fear...

ClevelandBronco
02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Iran is no longer an "Islamic democracy," it is currently an "Islamist Dictatorship" thanks 100% to W and just W and only W...

At least that means that Cheney did the right thing.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Cheney joined 9/11 truth?

ClevelandBronco
02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Cheney joined 9/11 truth?

No, no, no. Ladillpickle is saying that everyone except W gets a hike on this one. We should all feel freer, and we have Lacucaracha to thank for it.

And baby, Cheney IS 9/11 Truth.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-17-2011, 09:46 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vsDJ3YivBSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LaDairis
02-17-2011, 10:11 AM

The "right thing" for FIXED, sold out Zionist funded pastors, and everyone else trying to spread (and personally profit from) fear and involve the US military in wiping out all of Israel's enemies who had nothing to do with 911...

LaDairis
02-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Dick Cheney claimed Iraq was arming Al Qaeda with chem weapons.

Was that true, and what evidence did Cheney have to make that statement (right before the US Senate voted to sell out our troops in Iraq)?

The Mad Crapper
02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Dick Cheney kinswervtv claimed Iraq was arming Al Qaeda with chem weapons zionist.

Was that true, and what traitor evidence did Cheney have to make that statement (right before the US Senate subhuman voted to sell out our troops in Iraq)?

http://wahoha.com/static/images/ci/9606-220x220.jpg

LaDairis
02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Thets gowd evdnc frm uh knswrvtv W supprt thet Irack wuz treenin AQ en kem...

vailpass
02-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Thets gowd evdnc frm uh knswrvtv W supprt thet Irack wuz treenin AQ en kem...

LMAO

OK, on the surface this poster is as big a dullard douchebag as has been seen on the Planet yet his rep is bright green.
Is this a joke with some posters here on the inside? Is this ridiculousness a mult, pulling stings and getting reactions?

LaDairis
02-17-2011, 01:54 PM
LMAO

OK, on the surface this poster is as big a dullard douchebag as has been seen on the Planet yet his rep is bright green.
Is this a joke with some posters here on the inside? Is this ridiculousness a mult, pulling stings and getting reactions?

uz kinswervitvs shud alow onli W spprtrs hear...

Jaric
02-17-2011, 02:02 PM
LMAO

We think his rep is either someone being ironic, someone trying to neg rep him but screwing up, or BEP.

At this point, I think any of the 3 possible scenarios seem equally plausible.

Frankie
02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
If this report is indeed true, this would represent a MAJOR event as the regime would no longer be able to rely 100% on its security forces to stop protests.

Daily Telegraph: Iran's Revolutionary Guard pledges to hold fire
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8331625/Irans-Revolutionary-Guard-pledges-to-hold-fire.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d5da8b11ca7c26c,0

Senior officers in Iran's Revolutionary Guards have written a letter to their commanding officer demanding assurances that they will not be required to open fire on anti-government demonstrators.

Following the recent violence that occurred during anti-government protests in Egypt, the officers argue that it is against the principles of Shi'ite Islamic law to use violence against their own people.

In a suggestion of a major split within the Islamic Republic's ruling hierarchy over its handling of anti-government protests, the letter has been circulated widely throughout the ranks of the Revolutionary Guards, the body responsible for defending religious system.

The letter, a copy of which has been seen by the Daily Telegraph, is addressed to Major Gen Mohammad Ali Jafari, the Guards' commanding officer. It calls on Major Gen Jafari to issue guidance to both the Revolutionary Guards and the Basij paramilitary militia to use restraint when handling anti-government protests.

During the violent anti-government demonstrations that followed the disputed presidential election in June 2009, which saw President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad elected to serve a second four-year term, the government relied heavily on the Basij to suppress the protests over fears that it could not rely on certain Guards units.

But in the letter, which is signed by senior officers commanding Guards units in Tehran, Qom, Isfahan and Tabriz, they urge Major Gen Jafari to "use your authority over the Basij to order them to leave their truncheons at home next time."

It goes on to state unequivocally, "We promise our people that we will not shoot nor beat our brothers who are seeking to express legitimate protest against the policies and conduct of their leader."

The Iranian government has called on its supporters to take to the streets today to demonstrate their "hatred" for the opposition Green Movement, which has made a dramatic return following the recent unrest in Tunisia and Egypt. One demonstrator was killed and scores more injured when pro-democracy activists protested against Mr Ahmadinejad's government, chanting "death to the dictator".

Western diplomats, who have also seen the letter and confirm its authenticity, say it has now been passed to Mr Ahmadinejad and Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the country's Supreme Ruler, although no official response has been forthcoming.

Radar Chief
02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
If this report is indeed true, this would represent a MAJOR event as the regime would no longer be able to rely 100% on its security forces to stop protests.

Daily Telegraph: Iran's Revolutionary Guard pledges to hold fire
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8331625/Irans-Revolutionary-Guard-pledges-to-hold-fire.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d5da8b11ca7c26c,0

Senior officers in Iran's Revolutionary Guards have written a letter to their commanding officer demanding assurances that they will not be required to open fire on anti-government demonstrators.

Wow. Yes, if true that would be a game changer.
Lets hope so. :thumb:

vailpass
02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Wow. Yes, if true that would be a game changer.
Lets hope so. :thumb:

X2

go bowe
02-18-2011, 04:04 PM
that's what happened in egypt...

once the military decides not to fire on protestors, it will all come crashing down for the eye-ah-toolas...

Radar Chief
02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
that's what happened in egypt...

once the military decides not to fire on protestors, it will all come crashing down for the eye-ah-toolas...

Exactly. Up until now that has been the difference between Iran and Egypt.
The Ayatollah still has his thugs, Basij, but if the military turns they're defanged.

Direckshun
02-18-2011, 09:38 PM
From what I'm reading, the military is starting to issue warnings to the Basij, outlawing what weaponry they can bring to the brawl.