PDA

View Full Version : Religion The Blasphemy Challenge

luv
02-20-2011, 08:27 PM
People are selling their souls for $24.95. How sad.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i7QVbJnSPQE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KILLER_CLOWN
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
I heard the Vatican came out with an iphone app to confess your sins to.

In response to the video, Haters keep on Hatin'.

luv
02-20-2011, 11:17 PM

Are you serious? Seems like a flippant attitude.

RubberSponge
02-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Don't worry, just put it back in the collection plate. Jesus will forgive you then.

Thig Lyfe
02-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Okay, Milhouse.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 12:00 AM

What kind of response were you expecting considering what you posted?

People are allowed to make their own decisions as long as they intend to live with them in this case for eternity.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Also of note what these morons are doing is NOT blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

nstygma
02-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Also of note what these morons are doing is NOT blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.that's true. this video is the equivalent of a mentally handicapped toddler coming up to you and telling you that you do not exist. hardly blasphemy.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 12:21 AM
that's true. this video is the equivalent of a mentally handicapped toddler coming up to you and telling you that you do not exist. hardly blasphemy.

Great analogy there, They know not what they do.

Thig Lyfe
02-21-2011, 12:23 AM
that's true. this video is the equivalent of a mentally handicapped toddler coming up to you and telling you that you do not exist. hardly blasphemy.

Except that you do exist, so it would be strange for somebody to tell you that you don't.

Anyway, this video doesn't exactly cast rationalists in a good light. The shitty production values and overall creepy aesthetic are usually reserved for Christian propaganda. I suppose it's possible that's what they're parodying, but they should probably make it a little clearer if that's the case.

Saulbadguy
02-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure if $25 is fair market value, but whatever you can get for something that doesn't exist, you should take.

Saulbadguy
02-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Wait, you only get a DVD that is supposedly worth $25?

Pfffffft. Rubes.

However, they aren't exactly selling their souls. Misleading post.

patteeu
02-21-2011, 11:25 AM

I'm not sure if he's kidding or just uninformed.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure if he's kidding or just uninformed.

Many have hated GOD and it will continue until the great white throne judgment. Who is uninformed?

chiefsnorth
02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I heard the Vatican came out with an iphone app to confess your sins to.

No, it was made by some software outfit, and one lowly priest somewhere said he didn't see anything too offensive about it. The church itself in Rome was dismissive and said it wasn't valid.

(if you care what they think, which I guess if you are catholic you do)

alnorth
02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Many have hated GOD and it will continue until the great white throne judgment. Who is uninformed?

Why would someone waste their time hating something that doesn't exist? I also don't hate gremlins, werewolves, or Zeus because it seems kind of pointless.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Why would someone waste their time hating something that doesn't exist? I also don't hate gremlins, werewolves, or Zeus because it seems kind of pointless.

Did you participate in denying the Holy Spirit on youtube?

A man asked a pastor "What do i have to do to go to hell?" to which the pastor replied "Nothing". ;)

alnorth
02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Also of note what these morons are doing is NOT blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Yep, from what I could read, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is apparently impossible today. (you basically have to walk up to Jesus Christ and tell him he's possessed by the devil.)

The video is not flattering to atheists. If you are going to make fun of a fairy tale, you should at least know the story. It's like trying to insult Star Wars nerds by telling them that Captain Kirk sucks.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not something you accomplish in a day or through a single action/inaction. It is repeatedly denying the spirit that is with you to the point the Holy spirit leaves you.

alnorth
02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not something you accomplish in a day or through a single action/inaction. It is repeatedly denying the spirit that is with you to the point the Holy spirit leaves you.

Yeah, I just now looked it up and apparently there are multiple interpretations.

What I wrote was one that apparently not many people believe anymore, and what you wrote was another. It seems these days most simply interpret it to mean rejecting God up to the point of death, presumably because if you could do something that was unforgivable that would seem to be inconsistent with the message we usually get that all sins can be forgiven (even mass murder) if you truly are remorseful and are truly repenting in your heart. So, under that interpretation, its not that you did something that God doesn't want to forgive, its just that your time has expired and you logistically do not have the ability to repent.

Jaric
02-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Yep, from what I could read, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is apparently impossible today. (you basically have to walk up to Jesus Christ and tell him he's possessed by the devil.)

The video is not flattering to atheists. If you are going to make fun of a fairy tale, you should at least know the story. It's like trying to insult Star Wars nerds by telling them that Captain Kirk sucks.

As a star wars nerd, I assure you, this won't bother us in the slightest. Unless they are actually a star trek nerd as well, in which case they deserve your mocking.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
As a star wars nerd, I assure you, this won't bother us in the slightest. Unless they are actually a star trek nerd as well, in which case they deserve your mocking.

I'm more of a Star Trek nerd myself, and no i do not need/deserve a good mocking.

Jaric
02-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm more of a Star Trek nerd myself, and no i do not need/deserve a good mocking.

What if I told you it was for your own good?

(I know I'm new here, but I do hope you recognize this is all tongue in cheek)

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 12:33 PM
What if I told you it was for your own good?

(I know I'm new here, but I do hope you recognize this is all tongue in cheek)

Phasers were set to stun, now switching to kill.

Jaric
02-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Phasers were set to stun, now switching to kill.

I'm not the droids you were looking for.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm not the droids you were looking for.

Your Jedi Mindtricks will not work in the Star Trek universe. I will remind you Mr. Spock is right behind you.

Jaric
02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Your Jedi Mindtricks will not work in the Star Trek universe. I will remind you Mr. Spock is right behind you.

Unpossible. It's 2011 so he hasn't even been born yet.

luv
02-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Agreed. But, IMO, by spreading the word about it, it makes people ever more uninterested in learning about Christ (and, let's admit it, people don't tend to open themselves up to it that easily to begin with). I don't know. I just saw it and, as a Christian, felt a little sickened by it.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Agreed. But, IMO, by spreading the word about it, it makes people ever more uninterested in learning about Christ (and, let's admit it, people don't tend to open themselves up to it that easily to begin with). I don't know. I just saw it and, as a Christian, felt a little sickened by it.

It doesn't sicken me, Everyone must understand that by Denying Christ you are NOT hurting him but only yourself. Everyone has choices to make and as long as they understand the consequences then so be it. Some think that Satan is "Cool", do they understand even Satan as an angel created higher than man can't hurt GOD? I know it works well for comic book theology but the reality is if GOD be with us who can be against us?

orange
02-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Unpossible. It's 2011 so he hasn't even been born yet.

Not a problem.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/crowpicjunk/GarySevenComputerGag2.jpg

CoMoChief
02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
religion is fraud.

CrazyPhuD
02-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Meh while some may debate about if there is a god or not the one thing that is 110% certain is that there is no hell. THAT is a creation of mankind.

Bearcat2005
02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
religion is fraud.

Great insight. I bet everyone on this board anticipates your next post.

Jaric
02-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Not a problem.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/crowpicjunk/GarySevenComputerGag2.jpg

Help me out here, that looks like a washing machine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Before they banned the ability to buy pieces of someone's body on eBay, I bid five dollars on a human soul encapsulated in a sand pyramid.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Help me out here, that looks like a washing machine.

(Look over your shoulder) Time Machine (Keep Looking over your shoulder)

:p

Jaric
02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
(Look over your shoulder) Time Machine (Keep Looking over your shoulder)

:p

Ah hah! Makes much more sense now.

Thig Lyfe
02-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Many (and quite possibly most) atheists become atheists precisely because they've learned about Christ -- or, more specifically, the contradictions, inaccuracies, and impossibilities that are prevalent in the book that asserts Christ's divinity. Very rarely is somebody an atheist because he hasn't read and investigated the Bible. If you were to give a Bible to a rational person who is unsure whether to be atheist or Christian and had him or her read the whole thing, I'd wager he/she would be far more likely to become an atheist.

Oh, and that sickness you're feeling is probably cognitive dissonance.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Many (and quite possibly most) atheists become atheists precisely because they've learned about Christ -- or, more specifically, the contradictions, inaccuracies, and impossibilities that are prevalent in the book that asserts Christ's divinity. Very rarely is somebody an atheist because he hasn't read and investigated the Bible. If you were to give a Bible to a rational person who is unsure whether to be atheist or Christian and had him or her read the whole thing, I'd wager he/she would be far more likely to become an atheist.

With GOD All things are possible, and the natural man discerns not.

CrazyPhuD
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Not believing in a religion is one thing, not believing in any higher power is quite another. There is a reason that most scientists believe in a higher power/undefined force. Atheists who deny that any of that can exist is akin to sticking your head in the ground to me.

Jaric
02-21-2011, 06:49 PM

I've found not reading the bible literally makes that much easier to deal with.

Otherwise you end up in a weird place where Jesus rode dinosaurs and elderly alcoholics are building massive boats and rounding up animals.

luv
02-21-2011, 06:56 PM

I think it depends on what you're looking for in reading it. If you have faith to believe, then you'll see it in a completely different light as someone who does not have the faith to believe. Even someone who is unsure is looking for one or the other.

alnorth
02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Not believing in a religion is one thing, not believing in any higher power is quite another. There is a reason that most scientists believe in a higher power/undefined force. Atheists who deny that any of that can exist is akin to sticking your head in the ground to me.

Thats a little vague. If you are talking about believing that there are things that exist that science may explain someday but we currently have no clue about (dark matter? some of the weirder quantum mechnic stuff?), thats one thing.

Atheists object to the idea of an all-powerful intelligent creator. I have no problem saying that such a being doesn't exist.

Thig Lyfe
02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
With GOD All things are possible, and the natural man discerns not.

That's an old go-to that doesn't really mean anything. And you could say it about anything. With Khonvoum all things are possible, and the natural man discerns not. What makes your particular God so much better than the supreme god of the Bambuti people? Or any of the other thousands of gods that people have worshiped over the years? The Abrahamic God is just as imaginary as any of those; He just has a better PR department.

I guess it's possible that there's some sort of organizing force to the universe, but nothing I'd describe as a "god," and certainly not the God of the Bible or Torah or Koran or what have you.

I've found not reading the bible literally makes that much easier to deal with.

Otherwise you end up in a weird place where Jesus rode dinosaurs and elderly alcoholics are building massive boats and rounding up animals.

I actually admire fundamentalists in a weird way, because at least they commit 100% to their book, absurdities be damned. I don't think you can be selective about The Bible, because then what constitutes a literal event (or moral rule) is completely subjective. It's Christianity a la carte, and it doesn't work for me. You're undercutting your supposed savior's credibility when you admit even partially to the fallibility of the only material "evidence" of his divinity. If you think it's believable that a man could die and come back to life three days later, why is it somehow too much to believe that a man could part the sea with his mind or fit thousands of animals on a boat half the length of the Titanic? Either go big and commit to The Bible as completely literal, or go home recognize that it's all nonsense.

I think it depends on what you're looking for in reading it. If you have faith to believe, then you'll see it in a completely different light as someone who does not have the faith to believe. Even someone who is unsure is looking for one or the other.

Faith has its uses, I suppose, but you can believe in something that doesn't exist all you want -- it won't change the fact that it doesn't exist.

luv
02-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Faith has its uses, I suppose, but you can believe in something that doesn't exist all you want -- it won't change the fact that it doesn't exist.

How do you know it doesn't exist?

Thig Lyfe
02-21-2011, 07:43 PM

I suppose I don't. But there's absolutely no verifiable evidence for it, and therefore I have no reason to believe it exists. Theists are the ones who claim to "know" something despite a total lack of evidence. My point is that faith is fine and all, but it has no actual bearing on whether that thing you have faith in exists.

alnorth
02-21-2011, 07:48 PM

{insert standard flying spaghetti monster argument, etc}

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
That's an old go-to that doesn't really mean anything. And you could say it about anything. With Khonvoum all things are possible, and the natural man discerns not. What makes your particular God so much better than the supreme god of the Bambuti people? Or any of the other thousands of gods that people have worshiped over the years? The Abrahamic God is just as imaginary as any of those; He just has a better PR department.

It's not like i expect to convert you or anything and there isn't any point trying to defend ones faith. Someday you may have interest as maybe the Lord shows you something and you remember some of these things. One thing is for certain as a Christian i will not be forcing anything on you, and you won't ever have to answer to anyone here.

Thig Lyfe
02-21-2011, 10:50 PM
It's not like i expect to convert you or anything and there isn't any point trying to defend ones faith. Someday you may have interest as maybe the Lord shows you something and you remember some of these things. One thing is for certain as a Christian i will not be forcing anything on you, and you won't ever have to answer to anyone here.

I really doubt that someday I'll stop being capable of rational thought, but thanks.

stevieray
02-21-2011, 11:00 PM
If you were to give a Bible to a rational person who is unsure whether to be atheist or Christian and had him or her read the whole thing, I'd wager he/she would be far more likely to become an atheist.

"call me"....Lee Strobel

Do you have a spirit?

Count Zarth
02-21-2011, 11:05 PM
That's bullshit. I can download it and commit two sins.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM

Faith is an excuse for overlooking glaring logical fallacies and scientific impossibilities.

Thig Lyfe
02-21-2011, 11:35 PM
"call me"....Lee Strobel

Do you have a spirit?

You're dumb.

listopencil
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
So can I buy souls for 25$, and is there a discount for larger orders?

luv
02-22-2011, 12:20 AM
I really doubt that someday I'll stop being capable of rational thought, but thanks.
The guy is being nice. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you have to put him down.

RubberSponge
02-22-2011, 02:11 AM
The guy is being nice. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you have to put him down.

Yes. I can see how it can be just as insulting to tell someone they will spend a eternity in a firey hell if you don't believe the same as they do.

Christians have no right to go around and tell anyone that don't agree with their type of chosen faith that they will suffer the wrath of their god and then take the high road when they feel insulted by others beliefs that may differ than theirs.

stevieray
02-22-2011, 06:35 AM
You're dumb.hey, you being unable or afraid to answer the question has nothing to do with me.

luv
02-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Yes. I can see how it can be just as insulting to tell someone they will spend a eternity in a firey hell if you don't believe the same as they do.

Christians have no right to go around and tell anyone that don't agree with their type of chosen faith that they will suffer the wrath of their god and then take the high road when they feel insulted by others beliefs that may differ than theirs.

I fail to see where KILLER CLOWN insulted Sportsracer. Sportsracer's response basically says that Christians lack rational thought. I get around in my day-to-day life just fine, as I'm sure KILLER CLOWN does as well. I thought the conversation was going just fine up until that. No insults or name calling (besides calling someone dumb).

patteeu
02-22-2011, 08:56 AM
I fail to see where KILLER CLOWN insulted Sportsracer. Sportsracer's response basically says that Christians lack rational thought. I get around in my day-to-day life just fine, as I'm sure KILLER CLOWN does as well. I thought the conversation was going just fine up until that. No insults or name calling (besides calling someone dumb).

It goes both ways. In the post to which you objected, sportsracer didn't call anyone any names. He just implied that those who don't agree with his atheistic viewpoint are not thinking rationally. That's not any different than the implication involved when the self-righteous proclaim their superior spiritual knowledge.

luv
02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
It goes both ways. In the post to which you objected, sportsracer didn't call anyone any names. He just implied that those who don't agree with his atheistic viewpoint are not thinking rationally. That's not any different than the implication involved when the self-righteous proclaim their superior spiritual knowledge.

I don't see where that was done either. I don't think anyone has acted self-righteous. Do they? Yes. Have they in this thread? No. I don't think anyone has been overtly pushy in this thread at all (which surprises me, really). I think it has more to do with people having a chip on their shoulder (in either viewpoint). Anyway, I'm not going to argue to argue.

patteeu
02-22-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't see where that was done either. I don't think anyone has acted self-righteous. Do they? Yes. Have they in this thread? No. I don't think anyone has been overtly pushy in this thread at all (which surprises me, really). I think it has more to do with people having a chip on their shoulder (in either viewpoint). Anyway, I'm not going to argue to argue.

It's easier to see offensive implications from the other side.

RubberSponge
02-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Hmm, you see someone telling another person that they lack rational thought as an insult. But don't see how you telling someone that they are committing an unforgivable eternal sin and will perish for it painfully as an insult because they have a differing belief than you?

Sorry but I simply don't understand how Christians can pull the blasphemy card and not think they aren't insulting nonbelievers in some way. I'm half tempted to say don't insult my intelligence like that, but I'm afraid that may be too insulting to some...

alnorth
02-22-2011, 10:18 AM

True. I have a very pragmatic view of religion. I wont hesitate to state my lack of faith and to defend atheism by pointing out a lot of the logical flaws that exist in most religions if challenged on it, but I actually think religion is a very big net benefit in our country. (Maybe not the middle east) Militant atheism is a bit annoying and counter-productive to me.

There are a lot of things that religion brings to the table to improve our country. First, a lot of people might freak out a bit about the thought of death without an afterlife. Religions also tend to require that a follower behave like a moral civilized person. I don't really need religion to follow the golden rule and do the right thing just for its own sake, and I suspect that most religious people on this board would still behave morally if they were atheists, but I also suspect that without religion, a lot of people who are currently behaving themselves would say "F it" and become sociopaths.

Finally, religions in our country have proven themselves to be a tremendous asset for helping the poor through religious charities. If a church wants to raise money to feed homeless people, good for them. I don't care if its a religious charity or not, if they do a good job I might even ignore their sales pitch and donate.

luv
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Hmm, you see someone telling another person that they lack rational thought as an insult. But don't see how you telling someone that they are committing an unforgivable eternal sin and will perish for it painfully as an insult because they have a differing belief than you?

Sorry but I simply don't understand how Christians can pull the blasphemy card and not think they aren't insulting nonbelievers in some way. I'm half tempted to say don't insult my intelligence like that, but I'm afraid that may be too insulting to some...

I get where you're coming from. You choose not to believe, and that's your choice. I did not post the video for the purpose of condemning anyone. I simply thought it was sad that they equated the worth of one soul to that of the cost of a DVD.

Besides, as others have said, just because one is a non-believer does not mean they are blasphemous. I simply thought that SportsRacer's comment to KILLER CLOWN was a bit uncalled for. That's it. I don't think he had any reason to be on the defensive.

patteeu
02-22-2011, 10:46 AM
I get where you're coming from. You choose not to believe, and that's your choice. I did not post the video for the purpose of condemning anyone. I simply thought it was sad that they equated the worth of one soul to that of the cost of a DVD.

Besides, as others have said, just because one is a non-believer does not mean they are blasphemous. I simply thought that SportsRacer's comment to KILLER CLOWN was a bit uncalled for. That's it. I don't think he had any reason to be on the defensive.

The "morons" (KILLER_CLOWN's term) in the video weren't selling their souls because they don't believe in the same things you believe in. Your characterization of them, based on your own beliefs rather than theirs, is what we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not condemning what you did. I'm just choosing not to take offense to it. That's what I think people should do when sportsracer makes his implication too.

luv
02-22-2011, 10:51 AM
The "morons" (KILLER_CLOWN's term) in the video weren't selling their souls because they don't believe in the same things you believe in. Your characterization of them, based on your own beliefs rather than theirs, is what we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not condemning what you did. I'm just choosing not to take offense to it. That's what I think people should do when sportsracer makes his implication too.

Fair enough.

Sorry I said anything.

patteeu
02-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Fair enough.

Sorry I said anything.

Don't be sorry. I'm sure that no one is upset with you and you're not a tool like sportsracer so you've got that going for you.

Saulbadguy
02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
True. I have a very pragmatic view of religion. I wont hesitate to state my lack of faith and to defend atheism by pointing out a lot of the logical flaws that exist in most religions if challenged on it, but I actually think religion is a very big net benefit in our country. (Maybe not the middle east) Militant atheism is a bit annoying and counter-productive to me.

There are a lot of things that religion brings to the table to improve our country. First, a lot of people might freak out a bit about the thought of death without an afterlife. Religions also tend to require that a follower behave like a moral civilized person. I don't really need religion to follow the golden rule and do the right thing just for its own sake, and I suspect that most religious people on this board would still behave morally if they were atheists, but I also suspect that without religion, a lot of people who are currently behaving themselves would say "F it" and become sociopaths.

Finally, religions in our country have proven themselves to be a tremendous asset for helping the poor through religious charities. If a church wants to raise money to feed homeless people, good for them. I don't care if its a religious charity or not, if they do a good job I might even ignore their sales pitch and donate.

Very solid post. I often think without religion that we could become a very utilitarian, drab society. None of it is rational but yet provides a valuable service and we'd be worst off without it.

Jenson71
02-22-2011, 07:42 PM

When you're 16 years old, sometimes making a video declaring your rejection of popular and traditional beliefs seems like an edgy idea.