PDA

View Full Version : Life Happy President Day!

Deberg_1990
02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Do you celebrate? Do you have the day off? Is this the most pointless holiday ever??

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20110220-what-holiday-for-many-disenchanted-texans-presidents-day-has-lost-its-purpose-.ece

Celebrated by some, ignored by others and misspelled by many.

Today marks the amorphous holiday we know as Washington’s Birthday, Lincoln’s commemoration or Presidents Day — give or take an apostrophe.

Once meant to honor the nation’s first icon, the day has dissolved into confusion as sales eclipse ceremony, states lump in local heroes and Americans revere their political leaders less.

“It’s essentially a watered-down bank holiday,” said David Smith , a senior history lecturer at Baylor University. “It can become whatever you want it to be.”

He blames the advent and popularity of “the long weekend” for its dissolution.

Congress declared George Washington’s birthday, Feb. 22, a federal holiday in the late 1880s. But an attempt to revamp the holiday system in 1968 led lawmakers to move the celebration to the third Monday in February. This meant Abraham Lincoln’s birthday, Feb. 12, also could receive notice.

Fearing that future generations would forget the significance of one of the nation’s Founding Fathers, lawmakers refused to change the holiday’s name. The U.S. Office of Personnel Management still records it as “Washington’s Birthday.”

Many people forgot anyway.

When Congress changed Washington’s birthday from the observed date, states renamed the day for multiple presidents. Alabama also honors Thomas Jefferson . Massachusetts issues an annual proclamation for all four presidents who came from that state. Texas likes to talk about Lyndon B. Johnson.

“This contributed to the erosion,” Smith said. “Who wants to celebrate James Garfield?”

The day has lapsed into an anti-holiday partly because it lacks any memorable tradition or universal observances.

State and federal agencies remain closed, although many companies are open. Frisco ISD students stay home, but Dallas kids go to school. Plano ISD uses it for staff development. Richardson ISD decided to hold classes to make up for class days missed because of ice and snow.

“I honestly don’t even know when it is,” said Molly McQueen, a 24-year-old Dallas accountant who had to work Monday.

Lorraine Gil, a 46-year-old administrator in Dallas, remembered. She just didn’t care.

“It’s the politics of the time,” she said. “I love our president, but I am just not in the mood to honor him or any other past president.”

The increased visibility of the office also has affected the holiday, said Brandon Rottinghaus, an assistant professor of political science at the University of Houston. “The reality is that presidents are celebrated daily,” he said.

“As the modern presidency has grown as an institution, we see the president more often and expectations of the office increase. As a result, the public can feel that it gets overexposed.”

The real question about this misunderstood holiday, presidential historian Doug Wead said, is why it exists at all.

Few other countries honor institutional leadership with a specific day, said Wead, who served as an adviser to former President George H.W. Bush. “We are the weird ones or maybe the nice ones to find something good in our leaders and try to cherish and honor them.”

And who wants to be known as the lawmaker who nixed a federal holiday? Or the president who decided not to honor his predecessors?

So it lives on, a delight to overworked employees who get the day off or dedicated bargain hunters.

John Dixon, a 39-year-old consultant, stocked up on groceries Sunday morning for the following day’s reprieve. He said he’d take the holiday on face value — a morning without the alarm.

“Something like Martin Luther King Day has more worth for me,” he said. “I’d rather honor someone who speaks for my community than dead white guys."

Bwana
02-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Does anyone get it off, other than postal workers and a few other swing'n dick feds?

pr_capone
02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Does anyone get it off, other than postal workers and a few other swing'n dick feds?

My wife has the day off, teacher, but I'm stuck at work schlubbing through 80 calls because people want me to help them log into facebook.

yay

Donger
02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Great. He's happy? Why? Did he just spend another $700 billion on a driveway or something?

Bwana
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
My wife has the day off, teacher, but I'm stuck at work schlubbing through 80 calls because people want me to help them log into facebook.

yay

Ouch.......

Dunit35
02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
All the certified officers at our sheriffs office have it off. I am working day shift so they get it off.

Halfcan
02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
When I was a kid I always got my B day (feb 22nd) off for WAHINGTONS b-DAY.

I thought every kid got his bday off-lol

sedated
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Off. And drinking like a fish.

FAX
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Since I am a President, this day is way better than Columbus day, since I'm not from Columbus, although I have taken credit for discovering America.

Steak And A Blow Job day is the best holiday, still. In my opinion, anyhow. Better, even, than National Eyebrow Raising Week.

FAX

Pioli Zombie
02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Tonight PBS is airing a new special on the great Jimmy Carter to honor the day.

Bwana
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Tonight PBS is airing a new special on the great Jimmy Carter to honor the day.

ROFL

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/fm572s.jpg

Delano
02-21-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm a public sector employee and was supposed to have the day off, but was called in to respond to the ICE-APOCALYPSE.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm a public sector employee and was supposed to have the day off, but was called in to respond to the ICE-APOCALYPSE.
Posted via Mobile Device

we had the 'Snowpocalypse' about three and a half weeks ago.

Delano
02-21-2011, 08:03 PM
we had the 'Snowpocalypse' about three and a half weeks ago.

If I lived in Atlanta I would have taken care of you, sweet tits.
Posted via Mobile Device

kysirsoze
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM

I get Double time for working the holiday. Better than a day off by far.

Edit: In fact I'm "working" right now.

Simply Red
02-22-2011, 06:32 PM
If I lived in Atlanta I would have taken care of you, sweet tits.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://i53.tinypic.com/8vx6wz.gif