PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Some people just need to die in a fire

mlyonsd
02-21-2011, 04:46 PM
And I don't mean the Vet....

Antony Maschek, Wounded War Vet, Heckled At Columbia University ROTC Hearing
A wounded Iraq war veteran and Columbia University freshman was jeered during a meeting about bringing ROTC back to the school, the New York Post reports.

Anthony Maschek (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/hero_unwelcome_Zi3u1fwtRpo87vXAiAQfSN#ixzz1EbEBK9oD), a wheelchair-bound Purple Heart recipient who was shot 11 times during his time in Iraq, was hissed and booed at when he spoke in support of ROTC during the Feb. 15 town hall meeting.

Some students shouted "racist" during Maschek's testimony, during which he stated, "It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting. There are bad men out there plotting to kill you." (Listen to audio of Maschek's remarks here. (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/senate/militaryengagement/20110215clip.mp3))

ROTC has not been present on the Columbia campus for 42 years, and the debate on bringing it back in the wake of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal has been contentious.

In a recent piece, Spectator (http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.com/opinion/more-rotc-the-war-on-war-continues) opinion blogger Caroline Blosser addressed the controversial fight, which has snowballed into a pro- and anti-military argument:
"... ultimately I find something fundamentally flawed with the current debate that has nothing to do with the content of either side but rather with the debate itself ... The ROTC question has exploded into a wholly larger debate, an infinitely expansive, poignant, and polymorphous debate on militarism and war. But the ROTC debate platform cannot adequately hold the weight of such grave discussions."

Columbia's University Senate will conclude a poll (http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.com/spectrum/usenate-releases-rotc-poll) gauging student thoughts on bringing ROTC back to campus Thursday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/21/anthony-maschek-wounded-w_n_825874.html

The Mad Crapper
02-21-2011, 05:11 PM
And I don't mean the Vet....

I'm surprised you would say something like that.

Don't you know that those people are the same types who post on this board that you try so hard to be polite with?

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Don't you know that those people are the same types who post on this board that you try so hard to be polite with?

I don't think anyone here would boo or insult a disabled veteran. I would shake his hand and thank him for his service.

The Mad Crapper
02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't think anyone here would boo or insult a disabled veteran.

Really?

mlyonsd
02-21-2011, 05:16 PM

Don't you know that those people are the same types who post on this board that you try so hard to be polite with?I'm pretty confident there are no people posting on this board that would boo a disabled vet.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Really?

I would hope not, maybe i'm wrong. It isn't his fault those on top put him in that position. He went in to serve this country, who would have a problem with that?

Jaric
02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
I would hope not, maybe i'm wrong. It isn't his fault those on top put him in that position. He went in to serve this country, who would have a problem with that?

Students at Columbia apparently.

I'm with you all. Hate the war if you want, but not the soldiers who fight it.

Honestly though, their words ring pretty hollow since they don't have the first clue as to what they are talking about. I just hope it didn't bother the young man who had to sit through that. He should be nothing but proud about his service as should all our servicemen and women.

The Mad Crapper
02-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Didn't B.O. go to columbia?

NewChief
02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Really?

Oh Fuck off. Judging from your posting style of the past, you're more likely than most on this forum to engage in some antisocial douchebaggery of this nature. You've been like the Fred Phelps of DC in the past.

NewChief
02-21-2011, 06:26 PM
And motherfuckers booing this guy would get a verbal warning and then a fist to the face from me if they didn't cease and desist.

go bowe
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty confident there are no people posting on this board that would boo a disabled vet.psssst...

gochiefs, duneese, ladairis...

go bowe
02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Didn't B.O. go to columbia?aha!

it all makes sense now...

KILLER_CLOWN
02-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Didn't B.O. go to columbia?

Yes but those records are also sealed.

BillSelfsTrophycase
02-22-2011, 12:38 AM
That dude is a better man than any of those douchenozzles that were booing him could ever hope to be

Hats of to him...hate the King, not the pawns

The Mad Crapper
02-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Oh **** off. Judging from your posting style of the past, you're more likely than most on this forum to engage in some antisocial douchebaggery of this nature.

More projection from an O-Bot. :rolleyes:

They're your people, own it.

You've been like the Fred Phelps of DC in the past.

Now I'm Fred Phelps? ROFL

The Mad Crapper
02-22-2011, 05:27 AM
And mother****ers booing this guy would get a verbal warning and then a fist to the face from me if they didn't cease and desist.

You aint got the balls.

Saul Good
02-22-2011, 06:17 AM

Ever been compared to a Democrat before?

The Mad Crapper
02-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Ever been compared to a Democrat before?

LMAO

Can you imagine if I had started a thread Columbia university students need to be set on fire?

This thread would be 25 pages long right now.

notorious
02-22-2011, 07:29 AM
How can smart kids act so stupid?

Oh, I forgot, they have yet to live in the real world.

Chief Henry
02-22-2011, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=notorious;7445212]How can smart kids act so stupid? QUOTE]

Its W's fault.

NewChief
02-22-2011, 08:26 AM
You aint got the balls.

How little you know.

Radar Chief
02-22-2011, 08:28 AM
How can smart kids act so stupid?

Oh, I forgot, they have yet to live in the real world.

I actually understand. At one point I was also twenty something and thought I had it all figured out because Id read a book.

NewChief
02-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Similar to how Phelps chooses to use absurd, hateful statements in an attempt to prove his points, yes. I think that you, in the past, intentionally said provocative things that you don't actually believe to illicit reactions from people and create debate over things you actually do believe.

The Mad Crapper
02-22-2011, 09:23 AM
How little you know.

Go fuck yourself.

The Mad Crapper
02-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Similar to how Phelps chooses to use absurd, hateful statements in an attempt to prove his points, yes. I think that you, in the past, intentionally said provocative things that you don't actually believe to illicit reactions from people and create debate over things you actually do believe.

People have said the same things on this board Maschek said at columbia, and the response was the same, and all you could come up with was to compare me to fred phelps?

GO FUCK YOURSELF.

RNR
02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
And mother****ers booing this guy would get a verbal warning and then a fist to the face from me if they didn't cease and desist.

I am not sure about the verbal warning, but agree 100% on the fist to the face part ;)

Saulbadguy
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/senate/militaryengagement/20110215clip.mp3

"It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting. There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."

A statement like that deserves to be laughed at, no matter the source.

jettio
02-23-2011, 03:33 PM
My guess is that ROTC will be back on all the Ivy league and other campuses where they were before Vietnam, because the main issue that ROTC opponents have used in the last 15-20 years was "don't ask, don't tell" and the military's official refusal to gays serving in the military.

mlyonsd
02-23-2011, 09:02 PM

"It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting. There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."

Really? Please explain because my only conclusion is that you don't think we need a military at all.

mlyonsd
02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
My guess is that ROTC will be back on all the Ivy league and other campuses where they were before Vietnam, because the main issue that ROTC opponents have used in the last 15-20 years was "don't ask, don't tell" and the military's official refusal to gays serving in the military.
So since DODT has been revoked why would they jeer a vet in the first place?

The irony is at some point the idiots mocking a wounded vet will in their future require people like him to stand up for them. And they will...because they get it.

mlyonsd
02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
If anyone ever responded in a way to a guy like this while I was next to them in an audience they wouldn't do it twice.

Unless they could do it while coughing up teeth. But that would be the last time.

whatsmynameagain
02-23-2011, 09:27 PM

This

jettio
02-23-2011, 09:35 PM

The irony is at some point the idiots mocking a wounded vet will in their future require people like him to stand up for them. And they will...because they get it.

I listened to the audio and it seemed like most people there reacted positively to what he said. The thing that did get a reaction from some was something that he knew was a provocative thing to say.

I think the fact of terrorism is not the strongest argument for ROTC on his campus, he should have just focused on the idea that there are Columbia students in ROTC and they should be able to attend their training on their own campus if the military is willing to set it up.

I would be surprised if ROTC is not let back on campus at all of the Ivies because I think they all have ROTC students who have to travel to other campuses for the ROTC part of their student committment and most of the students know that takes up time and most of the students like the idea that their school has talented people with diverse interests. Most students would like the idea that some classmates would serve their country and after the repeal of DADT I think the majority of students will vote for ROTC.

Elena Kagan would be extremely f*ckin' disappointed if Harvard did not let ROTC back on campus after the repeal of DADT and all the diplomacy she did regarding military recruitment at Harvard Law. If the student senate at Harvard voted against ROTC, I would not be surprised to see her take some time to go up there and cuss some people out.

Saulbadguy
02-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Really? Please explain because my only conclusion is that you don't think we need a military at all.

It's a ridiculous statement to make to a group of well educated individuals. Feel like you are better than them all you want, but they are Ivy League students. It's also a statement that is not well connected to the speakers proposition at all.

This story is also pretty ridiculous. Did you listen to the audio?

mlyonsd
02-24-2011, 07:16 PM
It's a ridiculous statement to make to a group of well educated individuals. Feel like you are better than them all you want, but they are Ivy League students. It's also a statement that is not well connected to the speakers proposition at all.

This story is also pretty ridiculous. Did you listen to the audio?

Yes I did and you'll have to point out the ridiculous part to me.

And from your post I can tell you don't understand what his motive for speaking was.

And LOL at you for seeming to put Ivy league students at a certain upper level.

mlyonsd
02-24-2011, 07:31 PM
I listened to the audio and it seemed like most people there reacted positively to what he said. The thing that did get a reaction from some was something that he knew was a provocative thing to say.

I agree that the majority of the audience was respectful and positive towards him. I see nothing wrong with his statement though. It was spot on, maybe not what some wanted to hear, but I guess Columbia students are so above the rest of the world other opinions don't matter.

I think the fact of terrorism is not the strongest argument for ROTC on his campus, he should have just focused on the idea that there are Columbia students in ROTC and they should be able to attend their training on their own campus if the military is willing to set it up.
Don't quite get that since ROTC isn't on campus.

Elena Kagan would be extremely f*ckin' disappointed if Harvard did not let ROTC back on campus after the repeal of DADT and all the diplomacy she did regarding military recruitment at Harvard Law. If the student senate at Harvard voted against ROTC, I would not be surprised to see her take some time to go up there and cuss some people out.:clap:

jettio
02-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Don't quite get that since ROTC isn't on campus.

I am pretty sure that most or all of the Ivy league schools that disinvited ROTC from campus have had students that still joined ROTC to help pay for school and to enter the military as commissioned officers after graduation, but those students would have to go to the nearest state school that had an ROTC batallion to do the ROTC part of their student commitment.

That may not be true for all of the schools, but I am pretty sure that is true for the ones in populated areas where another school with ROTC is not too far away.

Bambi
02-24-2011, 11:36 PM
"these people"

Saulbadguy
02-25-2011, 07:45 AM

And from your post I can tell you don't understand what his motive for speaking was.

And LOL at you for seeming to put Ivy league students at a certain upper level.

"There are bad men out there plotting to kill you." - that is a ridiculous statement to make when speaking to have a ROTC on a campus.

Forgive me for "putting Ivy league students at a certain upper level." :doh!:

Saulbadguy
02-25-2011, 07:46 AM
It doesn't even sound like he was heckled that much. I didn't hear booing or hissing, or cries of "RACIST" either.

That's my main issue with this deal (I don't care if they let ROTC on the campus of Columbia or not) - Fox News is either flat out lying, or sensationalizing like they always do to get dumbass rednecks in an uproar.

Jenson71
02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
It doesn't even sound like he was heckled that much. I didn't hear booing or hissing, or cries of "RACIST" either.

That's my main issue with this deal (I don't care if they let ROTC on the campus of Columbia or not) - Fox News is either flat out lying, or sensationalizing like they always do to get dumbass rednecks in an uproar.

Yeah, there was one woman making one heckling remark, which the moderator scolded. Then the pro-ROTC speaker was applauded at the end.

go bowe
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM

And LOL at you for seeming to put Ivy league students at a certain upper level.now hold on just a minute...

ivy league students are generally smarter than your average college student, it's generally much harder to get into those schools...

of course it helps if you're are wealthy too...

but i don't see any superior quality to them or that they are on an upper level otherwise...

smart and wealthy (generally speaking) is only one small part of what i would call upper level (upper crust perhaps but not upper level)...

but that does not make ivy league students any better than other people...

although most ivy league students wouldn't see it that way...

go bowe
02-25-2011, 03:41 PM

The irony is at some point the idiots mocking a wounded vet will in their future require people like him to stand up for them. And they will...because they get it.indeed they do... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mlyonsd
02-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Forgive me for "putting Ivy league students at a certain upper level." :doh!:

You think they are? Really?

mlyonsd
02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
now hold on just a minute...

ivy league students are generally smarter than your average college student, it's generally much harder to get into those schools...

of course it helps if you're are wealthy too...

but i don't see any superior quality to them or that they are on an upper level otherwise...

smart and wealthy (generally speaking) is only one small part of what i would call upper level (upper crust perhaps but not upper level)...

but that does not make ivy league students any better than other people...

although most ivy league students wouldn't see it that way...

Exactly. :thumb: Although I'm guessing Saulbadguy was measuring ivy league students in intelligience, but that's relative.

The smartest man in the world could die in a blizzard if he didn't have common sense. And anybody that heckled this guy has no common sense.

The_Doctor10
02-27-2011, 03:53 AM
"There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."

I can 100% beyond all reasonable doubt say that there is nobody out there planning to kill me. And nobody planning to kill someone at Columbia University is going to be stopped by a military intervention.

Psyko Tek
02-27-2011, 04:05 AM

NO it doesn't
A man who gave allot up to serving said it
and he should be listened to
if not of respect then common courtesy

it deserves to be laughed at when talking heads on TV say it
if theis warrior says it you listen
and you can respectfully disagree but not laugh at his beliefs

The_Doctor10
02-27-2011, 04:13 AM
NO it doesn't
A man who gave allot up to serving said it
and he should be listened to
if not of respect then common courtesy

it deserves to be laughed at when talking heads on TV say it
if theis warrior says it you listen
and you can respectfully disagree but not laugh at his beliefs

The statement absolutely deserves to be laughed at. The person does not. There's a distinction.

go bowe
02-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Exactly. :thumb: Although I'm guessing Saulbadguy was measuring ivy league students in intelligience, but that's relative.

The smartest man in the world could die in a blizzard if he didn't have common sense. And anybody that heckled this guy has no common sense.i would like to think i would have heckled the hecklers...

as in 'shut the fuck up!!'