PDA

View Full Version : Misc Do you have a passport?

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
A lot of articles have said that the United Sates has one of the lowest rates of citizens with passports. I assume that has a lot to do with the size of our country, but I still find it fascinating.

So do you have a passport?

JD10367
02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Until December of '05 I'd never been out of the country, aside from a trip to Toronto for work in 2000. But then my wife and I started cruising so we got passports. Aside from a couple of Caribbean trips (Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) we've also been on two Mediterranean cruises (flew into Barcelona and cruised to Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, and Palermo; flew into Oslo and cruised to Amsterdam and Bruges).

kysirsoze
02-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I mainly need to get one for my career. (acting) There are a ton of shoots in Canada and a few in Mexico that not having a passport would screw me out of getting. The only reason I haven't is I'm lazy as fuck.

Baconeater
02-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Nah, I don't foresee myself ever leaving the country.

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Sorry for the spelling mistake in the second option :) - if any mod would like to change that to "mentioned"...

GloryDayz
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I've done Staycations and Vacations, but never been without a passport. The best diving is out of the country, and that's not even a "vacation" anymore, it's just a mental readjustment...

Rain Man
02-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Was it an article on chiefsplanet, or did I read somewhere else about the low passport rate compared to other developed countries? They made an interesting point about the low passport rate here being partially a result of the U.S. having such a cornucopia of travel options internally. You can go skiing or to national parks or to the desert or to tropical beaches or to arctic tundra without leaving the U.S.

Of course, I think the most obvious reason is that "other developed countries" tend to be European, and it takes about two hours to go to a foreign country when you're in Europe. The article did mention Canada as having a higher passport rate too, though, which might point more to the first reason above.

AndChiefs
02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
I've traveled to Canada, Mexico, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Peru, Bolivia, and China. And I suppose the Vatican if you count that.

I love seeing new places and experiencing different cultures. I guess I'm odd.

WoodDraw
02-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Was it an article on chiefsplanet, or did I read somewhere else about the low passport rate compared to other developed countries? They made an interesting point about the low passport rate here being partially a result of the U.S. having such a cornucopia of travel options internally. You can go skiing or to national parks or to the desert or to tropical beaches or to arctic tundra without leaving the U.S.

Of course, I think the most obvious reason is that "other developed countries" tend to be European, and it takes about two hours to go to a foreign country when you're in Europe. The article did mention Canada as having a higher passport rate too, though, which might point more to the first reason above.

It's also worth mentioning that in Europe, if you're willing to fly cheep, you can find ridiculous airfares. We're talking $20 to fly between major cities. So it's very much a phenomenon that doesn't exist here.

RJ
02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
It's also worth mentioning that in Europe, if you're willing to fly cheep, you can find ridiculous airfares. We're talking $20 to fly between major cities. So it's very much a phenomenon that doesn't exist here.

I would travel much more frequently if I had the option of $20 airfare. Hell, I spend $20 about every other day in gas money.

CrazyPhuD
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
This poll is racist where's the 'No I'm a illegal alien' option! :D

CrazyPhuD
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM

Except that it cost $100+ to bring baggage etc. I'd take the train anyday over the 'budget' carriers.

KC Tattoo
02-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Went on a cruise with my senior class in 1993 to nassau bahamas. Also a company paid trip to Cabo San Lucas Mexico in 2006. The trip to Cabo was my alcholic drinking career Super Bowl :toast: Cabo San Lucas is also where I got my :arrow: Tattoo from Heart & Huntington tattoo company done by Dizzy from the Miami Ink show. Cool dude.

BigMeatballDave
02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
No. I haven't been outta the country since '75. My dad was stationed in Germany at the time. I have a vague recollection.

Bambi
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Traveled all over the world. It's a great place.

WilliamTheIrish
02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Hell yes! Ya have to see the world. Or at least some of it.

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Of course. Love to travel. The current plan is to go on 2 international trips per year.

Fried Meat Ball!
02-22-2011, 05:25 AM
My voice is my passport. Verify me.

Pushead2
02-22-2011, 05:35 AM
I saw the first option was yes, ignored the rest of the sentence & voted on the wrong one. I am the second "yes"

CrazyPhuD
02-22-2011, 05:36 AM
My voice is my passport. Verify me.

It's weird I had this client called Setec Astronomy that used the same passphrase.

Fried Meat Ball!
02-22-2011, 06:52 AM
It's weird I had this client called Setec Astronomy that used the same passphrase.

:hmmm: Be wary. They have too many secrets.

seclark
02-22-2011, 07:02 AM
several.
shhhhhhh!:eek:
sec

Bwana
02-22-2011, 07:14 AM
several.
shhhhhhh!:eek:
sec

Bond....Jaaames Bond.

http://www.james-bond.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/sean-connery-claudine-auger-james-bond-movie-thunderball.jpg

MIAdragon
02-22-2011, 07:42 AM
yes.

Donger
02-22-2011, 07:48 AM
I've got two, but only use one.

seclark
02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Bond....Jaaames Bond.

http://www.james-bond.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/sean-connery-claudine-auger-james-bond-movie-thunderball.jpg

more like:

CHENZ A!
02-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't even need a g pass I'm past that I'm passing them out now and you can't have that
Posted via Mobile Device

Otter
02-22-2011, 07:53 AM
I've been to Italy and working very hard on duel citizenship with New Zealand and Australia. It's amazing the hoops you have to jump through when doing things legally and the law cunts that whine about America's Immigration Laws.

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 07:58 AM
I've been to Italy and working very hard on duel citizenship with New Zealand and Australia. It's amazing the hoops you have to jump through when doing things legally and the law ****s that whine about America's Immigration Laws.

Why do you wish to quarrel with New Zealand & Australia?

Bill Parcells
02-22-2011, 08:08 AM
I lost my wallet and passport in NOLA 3 years ago in a drunken stupor. a very honest cab driver returned all of my shit 2 days later, but I had 7 years left on that passport and I canceled it. I thought you could just turn it back on. but I was wrong. they got really pissy with me when I said I wasnt gonna mail it in. I wound up mailing it back in and got it back 3 months later with holes and void marks all over it.

Otter
02-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Why do you wish to quarrel with New Zealand & Australia?

I've always been in love with New Zealand and it's prime right now for techies with the knowledge to setup wireless grids. Australia just happens to be right next door. They (NZ) have the best fly fishing and hiking in the world next to Alaska and at the risk of being fitted for a tin foil hat it's a backup plan in a neutral country should shit ever hit the fan.

Most of all I just want to be able to come and go and have the option of living there.

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
I've always been in love with New Zealand and it's prime right now for techies with the knowledge to setup wireless grids. Australia just happens to be right next door. They (NZ) have the best fly fishing and hiking in the world next to Alaska and at the risk of being fitted for a tin foil hat it's a backup plan in a neutral country should shit ever hit the fan.

Most of all I just want to be able to come and go and have the option of living there.

If you love NZ why do you want to duel?

Otter
02-22-2011, 08:22 AM
If you love NZ why do you want to duel?

Why give up one when you don't have to?

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Why give up one when you don't have to?

:spock:

Never mind.

Otter
02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
:spock:

Never mind.

Ok, sorry if I lost ya.

rageeumr
02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
The wife dragged me to Germany and Austria in the fall of 2009. I had a good time, but there are tons of places I want to see in this country before I go international again.

Plus I just hate being that asshole that doesn't speak the language. I know almost everybody speaks English, but I still feel like a jackass. I used to be near fluent in Spanish (it was my minor in college) but my vocabulary has regressed terribly since then.

kepp
02-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes, I have one, and this thread actually reminded me that I need to renew it this year.

I've been to a few places - Mexico, Israel, Thailand

JD10367
02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Yes, I have one, and this thread actually reminded me that I need to renew it this year.

I've been to a few places - Mexico, Israel, Thailand

Interesting places along with your avatar. Do you travel courtesy of Uncle Sam? Meet interesting people in exotic places, then kill them? :D

JD10367
02-22-2011, 09:00 AM

I would love to go to NZ. Seems like a beautiful country, and it's in a good spot to survive a nuclear war. :) Problem is it's like a 24-hour flight from where I am. :(

kepp
02-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Interesting places along with your avatar. Do you travel courtesy of Uncle Sam? Meet interesting people in exotic places, then kill them? :D

I can neither confirm nor deny that.

Simplex3
02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I had to get one to do work for a Canadian customer.

el borracho
02-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Been to:

46 of the 50 states
Canada
Mexico
Jamaica
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Brazil
Spain
England
Thailand
Viet Nam
Cambodia
Malaysia
Singapore

and had a layover in Hong Kong

Would love to go:

everywhere else (with a few exceptions)

Lonewolf Ed
02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
I have a passport and will be using it shortly. I leave for Denmark on May 9th, arriving on the 10th. I return on June 3. Hopefully, the Danish brewers will notice a dent in the supply of brown ale during this stretch. :D

WebGem
02-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I've been to Canada, Monte Carlo and the Bahamas. Had a passport for a few years now.

underEJ
02-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I had been to Mexico and Canada by car several times before I got a passport to go to work in New Zealand. Now I have been to a couple of other countries as well. I enjoy seeing other countries, but I don't find international travel relaxing, so I don't do it that much. When I have time off, I need to relax.

As of June 2009, you need a passport to go to Mexico and Canada anyway even in a car. If I lived in Europe, I'd travel all the time since so much is close by.

Technically, since I got divorced and changed my name back, I don't have a valid passport right now, even though I have had one in the past, so I guess I answered the poll wrong. Sorry to screw up the data!

|Zach|
02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I am a few months shy of my passport expiring. Glad my trip in March made the cut...barely.

CrazyPhuD
02-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I am a few months shy of my passport expiring. Glad my trip in March made the cut...barely.
Double check he countries visited. Some have issues if your passport is expiring within 6 months.

|Zach|
02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Double check he countries visited. Some have issues if your passport is expiring within 6 months.

I am going to Mexico.

Gonzo
02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I do have one but have never used it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I've been to dozens of other countries, I guess I fulfilled my early curiosity in my 20's and 30's as I haven't been on many out of the country trips in the last few years.

patteeu
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
I probably won't ever need one, but I may someday go back to either Canada or (less likely) Mexico. I have near zero interest in going anywhere else.

Dunit35
02-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I am going to Mexico.

I think I read that my cruise line only excepts passports of they are 6 months from expiring. You might want to check on it.