PDA

View Full Version : Electronics New Phone?

JOhn
02-22-2011, 01:28 AM
OK folks I'm sure someone has asked this, but I really don't give a shit....

I'm due for an upgrade on my phone, and I'm not sure what I want.
I'm a Verizon user, and have the choice between the Android/Blackberry/IPhone4 platforms
My Choices HERE (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceCategoryId=1)

I currently using a Blackberry Curve, and like that platform.

I think the only thing I'm leery of is the pure touch screen phones, as I prefer a keyboard. But I guess I'm open to suggestions.

So lets here what the voice of the people have to say.... Educate me:thumb:

**EDIT** Well I ended up buying the DROID X

Pushead2
02-22-2011, 01:30 AM
iPhone

Jewish Rabbi
02-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Almost everyone hates touchscreen phones until they get one. And Blackberries are a dying breed, IMO.

WebGem
02-22-2011, 01:43 AM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7329/245983857.jpg

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 01:47 AM
New iphone is due out this spring I believe.

God of Thunder
02-22-2011, 01:50 AM
New Verizon iPhone is out now as my friend as one..........I have an iPhone unlocked for Tmobile......and i'll back the iPhone any day of the week.

JOhn
02-22-2011, 01:51 AM
yea they are offering the IPhone, but kind of leaning towards the Droid platform

God of Thunder
02-22-2011, 01:52 AM
you ask for suggestions...........you get 2 iPhones, a comment about dying breeds, and a black baby.........and you end up at android?

JOhn
02-22-2011, 01:55 AM
you ask for suggestions...........you get 2 iPhones, a comment about dying breeds, and a black baby.........and you end up at android?

Reading comprehension? :shrug:

No, just said that was what I was leaning towards, not what my choice was.
I also asked to educate me..... So educate me, not tell me. ;)

Virtua Chief
02-22-2011, 01:55 AM
+1 for Android. All about preference. The new Blackberries are going to be cool. They're all cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
02-22-2011, 02:02 AM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7329/245983857.jpg

The fuck?

God of Thunder
02-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Reading comprehension? :shrug:

No, just said that was what I was leaning towards, not what my choice was.
I also asked to educate me..... So educate me, not tell me. ;)

Original post containing useful information?

On second thought, technology may not be your strong suit since you can't include viable details such as your preferences in your original post. In lieu of this finding, I will recommend a Razr. If you would like to join the 'new world' if you will, in terms of technology, then I would recommend either phone.

There isn't necessarily a 'bad' smart phone on the market, however, I do agree that RIM (blackberry) is a dying breed. If you talk to an iPhone user, they will rave about their phone. It can do this, that, and jerk me off at the same time. If you talk to someone using a droid, they'll say the same thing. iPhone is equipped with TONS of applications that can do pretty much whatever you want. Limitations to this are that the apple Appstore (which is now under a lawsuit from Microsoft) has a strict review of all apps, so youre not necessarily always able to get the best ones......with that said, the apps are numerous and plentiful. If you jailbreak your iPhone, it practically becomes a whole new phone and the possibilities are endless. For instance, my internet on my phone is $4.99 a month for unlimited, I get first run movies for free (if its in the theatre, its on my phone), I get free apps, etc.

The androids are certainly new, upcoming, and are very popular. The only real downside is that their apps aren't quite as numerous yet, but the popular ones are already ready for that platform. If you can live without having an app for farting noises, you'll probably be okay! My cousin owns the Evo, and I will say that it is certianly an awesome looking phone, I have had limited time with it, but from the feedback I hear from him, he really likes it.

My buddy just got the Verizon iPhone and literally calls me everyday explaining how awesome it is. Little does he realize that I have owned my iPhone for over a year, and....well I already know.

In the end, its nearly impossible to make a wrong decision here, unless you go with the Razr. Both phones will have their pros and cons, and in the end, I think its more important to go look at each phone personally, feel them, touch them, and base your decision on that. The EVO is HUGE compared to my iPhone and the number one complaint about it, is that its almost too big to fit in your pocket, I am not sure as to which android phone youre considering, but I am using it (ev0) as its the only one I have experience with. I would like to think the Apple phone will have less bugs in it as its been out for awhile now, and you'd like to assume that the software is less buggy....in today's world however, this just isn't the case and I am sure you'll find flaws in everything.

JOhn
02-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Original post containing useful information?

On second thought, technology may not be your strong suit since you can't include viable details such as your preferences in your original post. In lieu of this finding, I will recommend a Razr. If you would like to join the 'new world' if you will, in terms of technology, then I would recommend either phone.

There isn't necessarily a 'bad' smart phone on the market, however, I do agree that RIM (blackberry) is a dying breed. If you talk to an iPhone user, they will rave about their phone. It can do this, that, and jerk me off at the same time. If you talk to someone using a droid, they'll say the same thing. iPhone is equipped with TONS of applications that can do pretty much whatever you want. Limitations to this are that the apple Appstore (which is now under a lawsuit from Microsoft) has a strict review of all apps, so youre not necessarily always able to get the best ones......with that said, the apps are numerous and plentiful. If you jailbreak your iPhone, it practically becomes a whole new phone and the possibilities are endless. For instance, my internet on my phone is $4.99 a month for unlimited, I get first run movies for free (if its in the theatre, its on my phone), I get free apps, etc.

The androids are certainly new, upcoming, and are very popular. The only real downside is that their apps are quite as numerous yet, but the popular ones are already ready for that platform. If you can live without having an app for farting noises, you'll probably be okay! My cousin owns the Evo, and I will say that it is certianly an awesome looking phone, I have had limited time with it, but from the feedback I hear from him, he really likes it.

My buddy just got the Verizon iPhone and literally calls me everyday explaining how awesome it is. Little does he realize that I have owned my iPhone for over a year, and....well I already know.

In the end, its nearly impossible to make a wrong decision here, unless you go with the Razr. Both phones will have their pros and cons, and in the end, I think its more important to go look at each phone personally, feel them, touch them, and base your decision on that. The EVO is HUGE compared to my iPhone and the number one complaint about it, is that its almost too big to fit in your pocket, I am not sure as to which android phone youre considering, but I am using it as its the only one I have experience with. I personally think the Apple phone will have less bugs in it as its been out for awhile now, and you'd like to assume that the software is less buggy....in today's world however, this just isn't the case and I am sure you'll find flaws in everything.

See other than your first stupid paragraph, this was what I was asking...
btw, I did link my choices, so is that technology tough for you to figure out? "My Choices HERE" link.....

anyway thanks

God of Thunder
02-22-2011, 02:14 AM
contacts aren't in anymore, and you deserved a stupid paragraph for your "reading comprehension" comment.

God of Thunder
02-22-2011, 02:19 AM
After looking at the links, and just knowing what I know, which isn't much to be honest, i'd still hafta say my vote would be the iPhone 4. I just like how they work, how they feel, and everything that goes with it. It may be a bit of a 'fanboy' in me (although I don't own aynthing else Apple so?) but I think its more of a "my iPhone has been great to be all along, why would I want anything else" type of feeling.

googlegoogle
02-22-2011, 02:33 AM
This is how your phonetalk geekspeak sounds to me.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wJtGfG5PQm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silock
02-22-2011, 02:36 AM
iPhone 5, IMO. Worth the wait, at least to see what it will offer.

MagicHef
02-22-2011, 02:41 AM
I have a Droid X, and I love it. The screen is ridiculously big, I can still fit it in my pocket, but I could understand if it was too big for some people. You're probably going to love whatever you get.

CrazyPhuD
02-22-2011, 03:13 AM
So here's state of the mobile industry right now.

At this time apple is the leader....at least to a degree. However the environment is changing. Android's growth has been fairly significant and it IS shipping more units than apple. It will likely continue to ship more units that apple. I would expect at least a a 2-1 margin of android in the future given historical content. It's just simply a case of having a huge number of hardware vendors releasing a large number of phones compared to just one of apple. Right now there are more app developers for apple right now, but if the handset numbers shift strongly in android's favor, the developer will go to the platform with the most users.

App developers go wherever they will make the most money. Right now the maturity with both apps and phones is with apple, but android is catching up in the phone space and the app sales are growing also. I have both an iPhone 3GS and an Driod R2D2, functionally speaking both are similar. The iphone is a little slicker on the UI but you have to be fairly picky to notice.

If you care most about apps in the short term buy the iphone. I bet within a year they'll catch up to within rough parity. If you're not big into apps right now it probably doesn't matter which you get. Whatever is cheapest or looks the best or feels right. You should try them out if you can to see which one you like.

There is a bit of a risk for apple in the short and long term if you like subscription based apps. Due to apple's recent policy decisions it people like netflix, hulu, or any other subscription based service may remove their apps from the app store. It is unclear at this time to know how that will shake out but we will likely know more in 6 months.

For me the iphone was my primary phone but I will likely be moving to an andriod based phone on ATT once I decide which hardware I like best.(my R2D2 is verizon).

CrazyPhuD
02-22-2011, 03:18 AM
+1 for Android. All about preference. The new Blackberries are going to be cool. They're all cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

I honestly expect blackberry to be dead and gone within a few years or developing on someone else's platform. There primary market is corporate and they are getting hugely assaulted by the other smart phones.

Windows 7 phone I would have said the same thing about but their partnership with nokia brings them more push. Plus success in the mobile/tablet space is life or death move for microsoft.

3rd&48ers
02-22-2011, 03:41 AM
don't upgrade and dump the contract, go buy a straight talk phone from walmart
all u can eat talk/text/data 45 bucks a month

Otter
02-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Two questions people should ask themselves when deciding a cell phone: what is my access to the internet day in and day out and how often do I make phone calls.

If you're sitting in front of a computer when you go to work that has internet access do you really need a smart phone? If you're like me and phone conversations rarely last more than 10 minutes do you need those extra minutes?

I have 10,000 things I can do with an extra $50 a month but I'm almost consistently able to access email and the internet given my job.

How often and how long do you talk? How do you plan on accessing your email and fantasy football team and how important is it to you?

I go with the cheapest plan and it probably costs ATT, Verizon or Sprint about $1.00 a month to allow you to talk to anyone in the US but the other $59.00 goes towards overhead. Don't get me started on that rip off.

threebag02
02-22-2011, 05:00 AM
I have a blackberry curve from work. Hate it I mean I can not stand the fucking thing. Haven't charged it since November and use my iPhone instead. Just added my number to the directory at work. So they pay for an absolutely useless piece of shit.

BCD
02-22-2011, 05:31 AM
all u can eat talk/text/data 45 bucks a monthStraight Talk is great for saving money, but they offer none of the platforms mentioned.

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 05:45 AM
I'm due for an upgrade on Verizon as well, but I'm waiting until the 4G LTE phones are available.

This summer should see the LG Revolution, Droid Bionic, iPhone 5 among others.

Pushead2
02-22-2011, 05:50 AM
I'm due for an upgrade on Verizon as well, but I'm waiting until the 4G LTE phones are available.

I'm getting sick of the my 3G getting left in the dust with the OS4 so I went back to OS3 but it's being phased out, I'm trying to hold on for the iPhone 5.

beach tribe
02-22-2011, 06:19 AM
I've had every iPhone that's ever come out. My GF got an Evo yesterday, and after playing with it, I feel like her phone is the more sophisticated piece of equipment. That mofo is badass. I want a new toy now dammit. My company pays for my phones, and I haven't paid a bill in 4 years, but they stick with ATT. I don't know what my options are but I will soon.

Bwana
02-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Android, or IPhone.

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2011, 06:36 AM

I'm also considering the HTC Thunderbolt which is rumored to be released this week. So might not make it until summer. ;)

WV
02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Absolutely love my EVO and wouldn't switch now, but I was going to go with an iPhone until AT&T capped their data. That was a deal breaker for me.

WebGem
02-22-2011, 08:47 AM
The fuck?

They're just condoms man, pretty standard.

Cave Johnson
02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
At this time apple is the leader....at least to a degree. However the environment is changing. Android's growth has been fairly significant and it IS shipping more units than apple. It will likely continue to ship more units that apple. I would expect at least a a 2-1 margin of android in the future given historical content. It's just simply a case of having a huge number of hardware vendors releasing a large number of phones compared to just one of apple. Right now there are more app developers for apple right now, but if the handset numbers shift strongly in android's favor, the developer will go to the platform with the most users.

Not sure I agree with 2:1. Last year, despite only 1 platform (and Verizon anticipation for 6 months), iPhone sales came within 20M (67M vs. 47) of Android. Sure, Android is exclusive on Sprint and T-Mobile, but they're the lagging players in the market.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9208761/Android_smartphone_sales_leap_to_second_place_in_2010_Gartner_says

More like 3:2, IMO.

Bwana
02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
You know, now that I have had a few hours to really think about this, you should consider going old school and go out and find a bag phone. Do you remember those bad boys? They weigh around 10-15 pounds, have 5 thundering watts (Enough to light up your testicles for three days) and could be used as a self defense weapon, in a pinch.

http://www.privateline.com/war/Motorolabagbig.jpg

AustinChief
02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
iPhone 5, IMO. Worth the wait, at least to see what it will offer.

SERIOUSLY doubt it will be worth the wait.. especially since it isn't due out until August. BUT I would wait at least a month, March should see a number of great new Android phones. If you have no problem waiting until August, by then the Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android should be available and will absolutely bury iOS.

If you can't tell, I recommend Android phones. The simple reason is that they will continue to have better hardware at cheaper prices as time goes on. AND you won't be tied to one or two service providers... Android is available on all the major providers and is even available on a number of pre-pay ones like Virgin Mobile.

DaFace
02-22-2011, 09:46 AM
So here's state of the mobile industry right now.

App developers go wherever they will make the most money. Right now the maturity with both apps and phones is with apple, but android is catching up in the phone space and the app sales are growing also. I have both an iPhone 3GS and an Driod R2D2, functionally speaking both are similar. The iphone is a little slicker on the UI but you have to be fairly picky to notice.

If you care most about apps in the short term buy the iphone. I bet within a year they'll catch up to within rough parity. If you're not big into apps right now it probably doesn't matter which you get. Whatever is cheapest or looks the best or feels right. You should try them out if you can to see which one you like.

There is a bit of a risk for apple in the short and long term if you like subscription based apps. Due to apple's recent policy decisions it people like netflix, hulu, or any other subscription based service may remove their apps from the app store. It is unclear at this time to know how that will shake out but we will likely know more in 6 months.

For me the iphone was my primary phone but I will likely be moving to an andriod based phone on ATT once I decide which hardware I like best.(my R2D2 is verizon).

I hereby declare this post to be the thread winner. Nice, unbiased analysis.

DaFace
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Almost everyone hates touchscreen phones until they get one. And Blackberries are a dying breed, IMO.

I generally agree. However, if they make it so that the BB system can run Android apps as this article suggests (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-11/rim-said-to-plan-playbook-software-to-run-google-android-apps.html), I think it will 1) make BB more viable in the long-term, 2) be a major blow to Apple's apps market share.

epitome1170
02-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I understand all of the skeptics with BB, but I love them. I think they are far and away the best for the business climate and syncing with contacts. However, I realize I am in the majority.

My wife works for Sprint and so I try out new phones all the time and she is running the EVO, which she loves. For my taste though, I am staying out of the Android market. I hate having to go through gmail to get all of my contacts and calendar events (yes, there are work arounds, but the fact that they push it so hard bothers me... and I am a gmail user).

As for the Iphone, I think there is a large percentage of the population that continue to think that the Iphone is the only one that have apps. Until people begin to realize that other phones have just as many capabilities, the Iphone will be a predominant force in the cell business.

Buehler445
02-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I heard (complete gossip) that Verizon won't get the new Iphone. Is that right?

Fish
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
I heard (complete gossip) that Verizon won't get the new Iphone. Is that right?

No. Verizon will certainly get the iPhone 5, the only question is when. Very likely this summer. There's talk of Apple releasing a dual-band CDMA and GSM version, which would work on any network.

Verizon has been rather hush on the subject because they're too busy selling iPhone 4's to people too impatient to wait for a much better phone in a matter of months. The same people that will probably have to have the new one when it releases, effectively paying for 2 generations of iPhones in less than a year.

CHENZ A!
02-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Damn, I know its an "old" phone but $49 for the iPhone 3? I might have to jump on that. I've been holding out on buying a new phone until my contract with Tmobile expired, which it did last month. This fucking blackberry pearl has got to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

jd1020
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank god the iPhone has moved to another provider. Maybe ATT will give more attention to Droid phones.

It's no coincidence that the iPhone is over 50% of ATT's sales while also having the worst customer satisfaction.

Maybe it's just me, but HTC's Droids blow the iPhone completely out of the water and they dont have a loooooooooooooooong history of dropping your calls.

Buehler445
02-22-2011, 12:51 PM
No. Verizon will certainly get the iPhone 5, the only question is when. Very likely this summer. There's talk of Apple releasing a dual-band CDMA and GSM version, which would work on any network.

Verizon has been rather hush on the subject because they're too busy selling iPhone 4's to people too impatient to wait for a much better phone in a matter of months. The same people that will probably have to have the new one when it releases, effectively paying for 2 generations of iPhones in less than a year.

Why do you say that they will HAVE to buy a new model of phone?
Posted via Mobile Device

seaofred
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
I absolutely love my Iphone 4. The majority of the people I have talked to don't like their Droids.

Fish
02-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Why do you say that they will HAVE to buy a new model of phone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Because that's the way impatient idiots think... they'll convince themselves that they have to have it...

sedated
02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
... Android is available on all the major providers and is even available on a number of pre-pay ones like Virgin Mobile.

Virgin has a $25 unlimited text and data plan (with 300 minutes) for the Samsung Intercept. Its on Sprintís network, but doesnít share towers with other providers.

Thatís a steal for unlimited data Ė if you can deal with not getting great service in rural areas.

BCD
02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I absolutely love my Iphone 4. The majority of the people I have talked to don't like their Droids.BS. I dont know a single person with an iPhone, except my sons mom, who recently switched to T-Mobile because she got a good deal on an Android phone. Every person I know that has an Android device, LOVES it.

jaa1025
02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
I went from IPhone 4 to Android Evo 4G. Worst mistake I've ever made. I hate the Android compared to my IPhone. I'll stick it out until Iphone 5 comes out. If it doesn't come out for Sprint then I'll pay the cancellation fee and switch to Verizon for Iphone 5.

CHENZ A!
02-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Virgin has a $25 unlimited text and data plan (with 300 minutes) for the Samsung Intercept. Its on Sprintís network, but doesnít share towers with other providers.

Thatís a steal for unlimited data Ė if you can deal with not getting great service in rural areas.

Is that deal for the virgin mobile $25 plan really mean your bill will just be 25 bucks so long as you don't go over minutes? That is a hell of a deal...
Posted via Mobile Device

DTLB58
02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Damn, I know its an "old" phone but $49 for the iPhone 3? I might have to jump on that. I've been holding out on buying a new phone until my contract with Tmobile expired, which it did last month. This ****ing blackberry pearl has got to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just remember it's only the 8GB model

CHENZ A!
02-22-2011, 02:53 PM

I just don't know how quick I'd fill that up or if at all. I've never had a smartphone before. I would probably put music on it, but wouldn't watch entire movies or anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

sedated
02-22-2011, 03:05 PM

that's pretty much the only thing that bothers me about iPhones, no slot for a memory card.

and AT&T service is a joke. they do carry streaming video of the NCAA tournament, though.

sedated
02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Is that deal for the virgin mobile $25 plan really mean your bill will just be 25 bucks so long as you don't go over minutes? That is a hell of a deal...
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sure there are taxes and such, but yeah, from what I understand its all unlimited except for minutes, $25. They also have like 1000 minutes for $40.

The only major drawback that I can see is that they don't work very well outside major cities. Here's a map that will show you coverage for voice and data service:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage

CHENZ A!
02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm sure there are taxes and such, but yeah, from what I understand its all unlimited except for minutes, $25. They also have like 1000 minutes for $40.

The only major drawback that I can see is that they don't work very well outside major cities. Here's a map that will show you coverage for voice and data service:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage

That would knock like $60+ off my monthly bill. Definitely worth looking into.
Posted via Mobile Device

3rd&48ers
02-22-2011, 03:44 PM

and you don't have to sign a contract.... find a better deal? just walk away, no penalty

DBOSHO
02-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Ive had 2 droids and 3 iphones. While the android devices have clearly established themselves as great phones, IMO the iphone is far superior. The apple app store is miles better than androids, the iphones easier to do stuff on. I owned the droid 2 then the incredible. Both of them had horrible battery life, and thats with me killing tasks constantly, and they took hours to charge. I can charge my iphone from 1% to 100 in an hour.

Ill never go back to droid or any other phone again.

DaFace
02-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Ive had 2 droids and 3 iphones. While the android devices have clearly established themselves as great phones, IMO the iphone is far superior. The apple app store is miles better than androids, the iphones easier to do stuff on. I owned the droid 2 then the incredible. Both of them had horrible battery life, and thats with me killing tasks constantly, and they took hours to charge. I can charge my iphone from 1% to 100 in an hour.

Ill never go back to droid or any other phone again.

This is one thing that the iPhone will always have going for it - consistency. An iPhone is an iPhone, but an Android phone's performance is heavily dependent on the manufacturer and carrier.

My guess is that that's why some people have issues with Droid phones and some don't. There's a pretty big difference in satisfaction with various phones if you look at online reviews.

sedated
and you don't have to sign a contract.... find a better deal? just walk away, no penalty

you are just out the $200 you spent on the phone, and whatever it costs to get a new one on another plan.

AustinChief
I went from IPhone 4 to Android Evo 4G. Worst mistake I've ever made. I hate the Android compared to my IPhone. I'll stick it out until Iphone 5 comes out. If it doesn't come out for Sprint then I'll pay the cancellation fee and switch to Verizon for Iphone 5.

Seriously? why? The EVO is better in almost every respect... yes there are fewer apps but nothing is missing that I could imagine actually WANTING...

The hardware is FAR superior (except possibly battery life), the OS is equal or better if you are running Gingerbread... and when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out later in the year.. it will be head and shoulders better.

What are your biggest complaints?

seaofred
02-22-2011, 03:52 PM
BS. I dont know a single person with an iPhone, except my sons mom, who recently switched to T-Mobile because she got a good deal on an Android phone. Every person I know that has an Android device, LOVES it.

Not bs. My wires boss hates hers and is changing this weekend.

BCD
02-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Seriously? why? The EVO is better in almost every respect... yes there are fewer apps but nothing is missing that I could imagine actually WANTING...

The hardware is FAR superior (except possibly battery life), the OS is equal or better if you are running Gingerbread... and when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out later in the year.. it will be head and shoulders better.

What are your biggest complaints?Fanboyz, dude. No help for them. :)

CrazyPhuD
02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Not sure I agree with 2:1. Last year, despite only 1 platform (and Verizon anticipation for 6 months), iPhone sales came within 20M (67M vs. 47) of Android. Sure, Android is exclusive on Sprint and T-Mobile, but they're the lagging players in the market.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9208761/Android_smartphone_sales_leap_to_second_place_in_2010_Gartner_says

More like 3:2, IMO.

So here's part of the rationale for that. In fact I would not be surprised to see a 5:1 or greater android to iPhone distribution. In every other market apple has been shown to not be willing to compete on price(understandable they like their margins). However with the huge number of driod models they will be competing on price and have similar looks and functionality to the iphone. When the android phone is $0 and the iphone is $200 which would many people pick if they both have similar functionality?

Apple would really have to shake the world and honestly I don't think they can do that. There is only so much they can do and their restrictive policies are turning off the developer community.

I believe the last time I looked at the stats the age break down was BlackBerry old and corporate. Iphone Middle age higher income. Android under 30. When your competitor has a stronger share of your future customers that's not a good thing.

BCD
02-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Not bs. My wires boss hates hers and is changing this weekend.Ok, so ONE person.

AustinChief
02-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Not bs. My wires boss hates hers and is changing this weekend.

Let me guess.. the three extra buttons confuse her? The BLING cases aren't as pretty?

jd1020
02-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Let me guess.. the three extra buttons confuse her? The BLING cases aren't as pretty?

Its obvious that the iPhone's endless archive of useless apps that no one uses makes the iPhone better. Not to mention iTunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AustinChief
02-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Its obvious that the iPhone's endless archive of useless apps that no one uses makes the iPhone better. Not to mention iTunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so funny when someone uses the "my app store is bigger" argument... Both app stores reached critical mass ages ago... there is no serious advantage for Apple in that aspect...

Speaking of iTunes... I'd be willing to bet that 2011 is the year we see Google launch a cloud based music service of some kind. Really doesn't matter to me since I don't use iTunes but will be interesting to see...

BCD
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
IMO, iTunes fucking sucks

BCD
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Let me guess.. the three extra buttons confuse her? The BLING cases aren't as pretty?ROFL

Bewbies
02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
I have a BlackBerry, my job provides it. I would never spend my own money on one, they fawking suck.

JOhn
02-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Damn, now I AM confused.....

Seriously though I'm still leaning to the Android.

I know a number of people with it & they love it. That is also because the Iphone just became available in this market when AT&T took over Alltell, and Verizon is just not getting them also.

My only concern really is the Battery life with the Android phones.

But I have another week or so before I make the switch, so I'll keeping debating.
:thumb:

DaFace
02-22-2011, 08:30 PM

I know a number of people with it & they love it. That is also because the Iphone just became available in this market when AT&T took over Alltell, and Verizon is just not getting them also.

But I have another week or so before I make the switch, so I'll keeping debating.
:thumb:

I can't speak for all of the different Droid phones, but mine gets about 16 hours of battery life with fairly typical use. It's definitely worth having a car charger and/or spare charger at work.

dmahurin
02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
With android you can have flash content on the web and with iphone you can't. I had an iphone for a while but i switched to android when it was released and I'll never look back.

whoaskew
02-22-2011, 11:21 PM

That is a helluva deal. I'll have to look into that to see if I could somehow use my Google Voice account on it for unlimited voice minutes.

Currently, I'm loving my Evo on Sprint though.

CrazyPhuD
02-23-2011, 12:04 AM
One interesting feature in androids favor. Free out of the box turn by turn navigation. BUT it does require network access. iPhone doesn't have that by default. One weakness though is that the navi on driod consumes alot of battery power compared to anything else. If you take long trips with it you will need a car charger.

Silock
02-23-2011, 01:02 AM
SERIOUSLY doubt it will be worth the wait.. especially since it isn't due out until August.

It will be out before then. You only doubt it because you have an anti-Apple hard-on ;)

3rd&48ers
02-23-2011, 02:46 AM
That is a helluva deal. I'll have to look into that to see if I could somehow use my Google Voice account on it for unlimited voice minutes.

Currently, I'm loving my Evo on Sprint though.

google voice does not dial out the same number everytime so you can't really add them to your friends and family for totally free calls I don't think...

DBOSHO
02-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Killing tasks constantly on android was annoying.

JohninGpt
02-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Killing tasks constantly on android was annoying.

There's an app to do that for you.

I canned Verizon and went to Sprint, I really like my Evo and my everything plan.

DaKCMan AP
02-23-2011, 06:20 AM
For all those who have been expressing love for the Evo on Sprint - and for those who have Verizon - on Feb 28th (unofficial) the HTC Thunderbolt will be released on Verizon. This is essentially the Evo, but better.

Archie F. Swin
02-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Does Tmoblie have the EVO?

Buehler445
02-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I can't speak for all of the different Droid phones, but mine gets about 16 hours of battery life with fairly typical use. It's definitely worth having a car charger and/or spare charger at work.

Can anyone give any insight on which models/brands have battery issues or any hardware insight?

Not all Droids are created equal (Methinks).

BCD
02-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Does Tmoblie have the EVO?No, that's Sprint. T-Mobile does have a large screen phone like it though. I believe its a Windows phone.

BCD
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Killing tasks constantly on android was annoying.Having a rooted phone helps with that.

BCD
02-23-2011, 09:40 AM

:thumb:Actually, Verizon bought out Alltel.

AustinChief
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
It will be out before then. You only doubt it because you have an anti-Apple hard-on ;)

iPhone 5 may not launch until September, FBR Capital Markets analyst Craig Berger says in a note today. ... "A July launch is unlikely, with various casing ... and touch suppliers still ramping up, ... some chip vendors not having yet received firm ... orders, and ... the image sensor ... still in flux".
This is the current rumor... I cut Apple some slack and split the difference between the expected release (July) and the rumor(September) and made my prediction of August...

So far.. There is no announcement either way from Apple.. so ALL of it is just guesswork... you could be waiting until December for a new iPhone5 for all we know. (my money is on last week of July or first week of August)

Silock
02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Meh, my money is on it being launched at the same time it has been every other year. Apple is generally pretty good about product launch consistency, despite rumor sites (which are usually wrong) predicting otherwise.

AustinChief
02-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Meh, my money is on it being launched at the same time it has been every other year. Apple is generally pretty good about product launch consistency, despite rumor sites (which are usually wrong) predicting otherwise.

Which is still the last week of June or early July... one month earlier than my prediction but still a LONG way off at this point... 4 months to be exact :)

3rd&48ers
02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Walmart Introduces Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T-Mobile, Featuring the Lowest Priced Unlimited Talk and Text Wireless Family Plans

3 phones, unlimited talk and text , 95 per month
Good deal for families on a budget
http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/10297.aspx

Walmart Family Mobile was designed with families in mind, and offers the easiest, most affordable way to enjoy high-quality post-paid service. Every line has Unlimited Talk & Text, so customers can be assured of no surprise overages when they receive their bill each month. The first line of service is just $45 per month, and each additional line is only $25 per month. In addition, Walmart Family Mobile has phones for the whole family from Samsung, Motorola and Nokia, including phones with the Android Operating System, QWERTY keyboard, touch screens and other features. Since there is no annual contract, customers can upgrade anytime by purchasing a new handset with no extra fees or contract commitment.

whoaskew
02-23-2011, 08:12 PM

I found a couple links discussing ways to have Google Voice provide unlimited minutes on Virgin mobile phones using only the data not minutes:

http://www.cloudave.com/6102/android-phone-without-google-voice-yes-but-what-a-deal-you-get-what-you-pay-for-virgin-mobile/#comment-6670

http://www.mobilerule.org/blog/2011/02/can-the-samsung-intecept-from-virgin-mobile-make-unlimited-calling-with-google-voice-or-sipdroid.html

Apparently, you have to download Google Voice and a VOIP app (like Sipdroid) to make it work.

Google Voice just masks phone numbers, the VOIP app is what uses the data plan to make calls instead of the plan minutes.

googlegoogle
02-23-2011, 08:41 PM
http://lowtechtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/telephone1.JPG

Buehler445
02-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Can anyone give any insight on which models/brands have battery issues or any hardware insight?

Bump.

siberian khatru
02-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Alright, I'm going to enter the fray here looking for some facts and opinions.

Wife and I both have BlackBerry Storms from Verizon. We want to stay with Verizon. We want Androids.

Would you suggest, say, a Droid X at 3G? Or go whole hog for an HTC Thunderbolt at 4G?

Is the 4G worth pursuing now? Or can we live with 3G for awhile?

Or should I skip Droids and wait for the new Verizon iPhone later this year that will be 4G?

DaKCMan AP
02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Alright, I'm going to enter the fray here looking for some facts and opinions.

Wife and I both have BlackBerry Storms from Verizon. We want to stay with Verizon. We want Androids.

Would you suggest, say, a Droid X at 3G? Or go whole hog for an HTC Thunderbolt at 4G?

Is the 4G worth pursuing now? Or can we live with 3G for awhile?

Or should I skip Droids and wait for the new Verizon iPhone later this year that will be 4G?

Looks like the Thunderbolt is now delayed until March.

siberian khatru
02-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Looks like the Thunderbolt is now delayed until March.

Last I saw it was March 4, just a week away. Is it now longer?

WilliamTheIrish
02-24-2011, 08:41 AM
all u can eat talk/text/data 45 bucks a month

This is the best advice you'll get. All the other shit is simply money thrown down a hole. 56$ "everything plan."

I'm a Sprint user (56$ "everything plan.") and have a pretty sweet deal as it is with the corp discount. But I'm going to go with a cheaper alternative in a few weeks. There is simply no good reason to shell out $ for phone.

DaKCMan AP
02-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Last I saw it was March 4, just a week away. Is it now longer?

Nothing's confirmed. I've heard both March 4 and March 21.

King_Chief_Fan
02-24-2011, 08:45 AM
OK folks I'm sure someone has asked this, but I really don't give a shit....

I'm due for an upgrade on my phone, and I'm not sure what I want.
I'm a Verizon user, and have the choice between the Android/Blackberry/IPhone4 platforms
My Choices HERE (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceCategoryId=1)

I currently using a Blackberry Curve, and like that platform.

I think the only thing I'm leery of is the pure touch screen phones, as I prefer a keyboard. But I guess I'm open to suggestions.

So lets here what the voice of the people have to say.... Educate me:thumb:

The Blackberry Torch gives you touch screen and keypad. But, I think you can only get it with AT&T. I really like mine

DaFace
02-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Honestly, it's tough to say. I think that most of them have a battery rating of some sort, but the actual battery life is heavily dependent on how you use the phone.

3rd&48ers
02-24-2011, 09:34 AM
This is the best advice you'll get. All the other shit is simply money thrown down a hole. 56$ "everything plan."

I'm a Sprint user (56$ "everything plan.") and have a pretty sweet deal as it is with the corp discount. But I'm going to go with a cheaper alternative in a few weeks. There is simply no good reason to shell out $ for phone.
Thanks....
Yup, if a man wants the latest greatest gadget then he has to pay the latest greatest price....I don't have to have that, as long as I have email txting and a phone I am good to go....

The actual cost of the phone or plan does not bother me that much, it's the contracts I despise....

When a man is livin on the edge with debt, and say he breaks a leg or God forbid worse, Verizon and Att still wants that payment every month.....Prepaid phone plans just turn it off....

Now if somebody here gets butt hurt thinking I am trying to tell them how to spend their own money, save your breath, I just want to see you get the most value as possible for your dollar....:thumb:

JOhn
03-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Well I went with the DROID X

Now as soon as I figure it all out, I'll let you know what i think of it.:spock: