PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Somali killed the American hostages

Msmith
02-22-2011, 08:57 AM
NAIROBI, Kenya Four Americans taken hostage by Somali pirates off East Africa were shot and killed by their captors Monday, the U.S. military said, marking the first time U.S. citizens have been killed in a wave of pirate attacks plaguing the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean for years.

U.S. naval forces, who were trailing the Americans' captured yacht with four warships, quickly boarded the vessel after hearing the gunfire and tried to provide lifesaving care to the Americans, but they died of their wounds, the U.S. Central Command said in a statement.

Two pirates died during the confrontation and 13 were captured and detained, the U.S. Central Command said in a statement from Tampa, Fla. The remains of two other pirates who were already dead for some time were also found. The U.S. military didn't state how those two might have died.

Negotiations had been under way to try to win the release of the two couples on the pirated vessel Quest when the gunfire was heard, the U.S. military said.

The Quest was the home of Jean and Scott Adam, a couple from California who had been sailing around the world since December 2004 with a yacht full of Bibles. The two other Americans on board were Phyllis Macay and Bob Riggle, of Seattle, Washington.

"We express our deepest condolences for the innocent lives callously lost aboard the Quest," said Gen. James N. Mattis, U.S. Central Command Commander.

In total the U.S. said that 19 pirates were involved in the hijacking of the Quest.

Only minutes before the military said the four Americans had died, a Somali pirate told The Associated Press by phone that if the yacht was attacked, "the hostages will be the first to go."

"Some pirates have even suggested rigging the yacht with land mines and explosives so as the whole yacht explodes with the first gunshot," said the pirate, who gave his name as Abdullahi Mohamed, who claimed to be a friend of the pirates holding the four Americans.

Graeme Gibbon-Brooks, the head of Dryad Maritime Intelligence, said he was confounded by the turn of events.

"We have heard threats against the lives of Americans before but it strikes me as being very, very unusual why they would kill hostages outright," he said, adding that the pirates must realize that killing Americans would invite a military response.

The military said U.S. forces have been monitoring the Quest for about three days, since shortly after the pirate attack on Friday. Four Navy warships were involved, including an aircraft carrier.

Last week a Somali pirate was sentenced to 33 years in prison by a New York court for the 2009 hijacking of the Maersk Alabama, a U.S. cargo vessel. That hijacking ended when Navy sharpshooters killed two pirates holding the ship's captain.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy

What response will the US bring?

HonestChieffan
02-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Michelle is in Vail and the O is in Ohio on a campaign swing. and you are worried about a response?

Iowanian
02-22-2011, 09:03 AM
All of those pirates should have been dead, and I hope every boat and plane that passes by lobs something explosive at anything resembling an asshole local.

Msmith
02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Michelle is in Vail and the O is in Ohio on a campaign swing. and you are worried about a response?

Maybe El Pres gathering more supports because of this turn of event?

jiveturkey
02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm torn on the response issue. These people went into harms way knowing the consequences.

With that in mind I wouldn't be upset of we bombed known pirate ports/marinas.

Brock
02-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Yachting off the coast of East Africa. That must really be the life. Who needs San Diego?

Cave Johnson
02-22-2011, 09:10 AM
[i]What response will the US bring?

OMG. It's been 8 hours since Americans were killed and we haven't bombed Somalia back to the stone age yet.....

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 09:13 AM
OMG. It's been 8 hours since Americans were killed and we haven't bombed Somalia back to the stone age yet.....

That is disappointing.

chiefsnorth
02-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Back?

ForeverChiefs58
02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
All of those pirates should have been dead, and I hope every boat and plane that passes by lobs something explosive at anything resembling an asshole local.

Agreed. Why were any of these maggots captured? Just what we need is carting them all the way back home, tying up courts and filling up our prisons and taking care of these asshats for the rest of their lives. Our prisons have to look like a country club to these scum. Not to mention the last ones only got 30 years so you know they will hook up with a nice well adjusted crowd in prison.

They need to be shown a deterent for their behavior. They want to act like pirates, fine, walk the freaking plank then with a couple gunshot wounds to the knees. Keep the great white sharks fat with pirates.

Cave Johnson
02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Back?

Sarcasm. I'm aware it's up there with the most miserable and backwards countries on the planet.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm torn on the response issue. These people went into harms way knowing the consequences.

With that in mind I wouldn't be upset of we bombed known pirate ports/marinas.

Ditto

chiefsnorth
02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Agreed. Why were any of these maggots captured? Just what we need is carting them all the way back home, tying up courts and filling up our prisons and taking care of these asshats for the rest of their lives. Our prisons have to look like a country club to these scum. Not to mention the last ones only got 30 years so you know they will hook up with a nice well adjusted crowd in prison.

They need to be shown a deterent for their behavior. They want to act like pirates, fine, walk the freaking plank then with a couple gunshot wounds to the knees. Keep the great white sharks fat with pirates.

The response needs to be that the international community patrol these waters more intensely, searching and destroying.

For our part we need to send a message that if you f*ck with a US flagged vessel you are calling down the thunder. Some retribution against whomever is behind this is in order.

RubberSponge
02-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Weren't they on some sort of yachting caravan and decided to head off in a different direction than the rest of the group?

Donger
02-22-2011, 09:34 AM
It sounds like the pirates responsible are either dead or in custody. I'm not sure what else needs to be done.

Cave Johnson
02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
The response needs to be that the international community patrol these waters more intensely, searching and destroying.

For our part we need to send a message that if you f*ck with a US flagged vessel you are calling down the thunder. Some retribution against whomever is behind this is in order.

They didn't "f*ck with a flagged vessel", they just shot the hostages.

Msmith
02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Did the yacht fly an American flag?

chiefsnorth
02-22-2011, 09:46 AM
They didn't "f*ck with a flagged vessel", they just shot the hostages.

I am not talking about warships. Pirates around the horn of Africa or anywhere else need to know that American citizens are off limits no matter what vessel they are in, and if they screw with us they will receive an overwhelming response. No quarter should be given to this kind of barbarism.

Donger
02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Did the yacht fly an American flag?

Apparently:

http://www.svquest.com/svquest/01020025.JPG

Cave Johnson
02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I am not talking about warships. Pirates around the horn of Africa or anywhere else need to know that American citizens are off limits no matter what vessel they are in, and if they screw with us they will receive an overwhelming response. No quarter should be given to this kind of barbarism.

I'm totally shocked you'd endorse a belligerent, over-the-top response to some bible-carrying Americans taking unnecessary risks which led to their deaths.....

chiefsnorth
02-22-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm totally shocked you'd endorse a belligerent, over-the-top response to some bible-carrying Americans taking unnecessary risks which led to their deaths.....

Your being an asshole isn't very shocking.

Cave Johnson
02-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Your being an asshole isn't very shocking.

I thought your side believed in personal responsibility.

Bwana
02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
It's time to air mail a few "gifts" to these useless pricks.

http://www.tpub.com/content/advancement/14145/img/14145_28_1.jpg

Garcia Bronco
02-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I'd wipe them out.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Well, could your pov be based on preferring to see some bible-carrying Americans dead? If they were atheistic Progressives would you call for the pirate's heads?

Cave Johnson
02-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Well, could your pov be based on preferring to see some bible-carrying Americans dead? If they were atheistic Progressives would you call for the pirate's heads?

They killed/arrested those directly responsible, and will have to interrogate the prisoners to find their base of operations.

What more can/should be done right now?

Cave Johnson
02-22-2011, 10:20 AM
It's time to air mail a few "gifts" to these useless pricks.

How about carpet bombing them with Bibles? That would be totally apropos.

Bwana
02-22-2011, 10:23 AM

It would be a start, but I prefer a few cruise missiles.

mlyonsd
02-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Military trial on board the US vessel and then sentence carried out...walking the plank.

BIG_DADDY
02-22-2011, 10:31 AM

What is it I am missing about bibles?

Aries Walker
02-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I think the answer is Q-ships. Get a few ponderous, slow-moving, vulnerable-looking freighters, retrofit them to have a hidden helipad below the sight line, crew it with a dozen or so Marines, and see how long the little pirate speedboats can stand up to, let's say, an Apache Longbow. Change the markings (and, if other countries get on board, the registry flag) every once in a while, and just pilot them back and forth along the Somalian coast.

I would think that after a couple of horrific explosions, some is-this-the-one doubts, and the eventual loss of both their profit margin and their navy, the pirates would get the idea.

AndChiefs
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
What is it I am missing about bibles?

They were Christians distributing Bibles around the world. So of course they deserved their fate, right?

mikey23545
02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
I thought your side believed in personal responsibility.

Yes you're right...They had some nerve lawfully sailing in international waters...

Hell, they deserve to be dead.

ForeverChiefs58
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
It sounds like the pirates responsible are either dead or in custody. I'm not sure what else needs to be done.

Death to pirates of course. The only custody they should be in is with the sharks. Blow up ports, find mother ship, rescue those captured and sink pirates in their boats.

Chiefnj2
02-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Bomb 4 ports, one for each life.

Interrogate then execute all but 1 of the pirates, release the last one to advise his elders that from now on each dead American = 10 missile strikes.

whatsmynameagain
02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Once again, idiots and religion trying to push their views onto others. I wonder if they made the pirates believers? Too bad god couldn't save'em. What a dick! He helps people with game winning shots but not gun shots, ehhhh-ooooooo!

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 11:47 AM

I would prefer that all the pirates had been reported dead. :evil:

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Once again, idiots and religion trying to push their views onto others. I wonder if they made the pirates believers? Too bad god couldn't save'em. What a dick! He helps people with game winning shots but not gun shots, ehhhh-ooooooo!

I'm confident that God did save them.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 11:56 AM
They killed/arrested those directly responsible, and will have to interrogate the prisoners to find their base of operations.

What more can/should be done right now?

Nothing really, but you didn't answer my question.

whatsmynameagain
02-22-2011, 11:59 AM

If a bullet in the head is being saved, please get saved yourself

kcfanXIII
02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
tomahawk time. Destroy any infrastructure the pirates may have set up. Kill all pirate prisoners. Then drop their remains on the Mogadishu market. Leave that prehistoric shithole a smouldering ruin.

this can all be done via airpower and cruise missiles.

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
If a bullet in the head is being saved, please get saved yourself

If you find yourself thirsty, I will give you a drink.

Chief Henry
02-22-2011, 12:03 PM

:thumb:

Dave Lane
02-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Well we should all rejoice. They are with jesus now.

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Well we should all rejoice. They are with jesus now.

The pirates, on the other hand, should be fearful. They are with us.

googlegoogle
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
definitely should have blown up the pirates and the pirate boat.