PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Which side would you fight on if the Civil war was fought today?

Pages : 1 [2]

BucEyedPea
02-24-2011, 04:51 PM
To be honest, I thought it was silly for him to get banned because he called you "honey."

I mean, it's not an outrage or anything. It's just funny, that's all.

Well, ya' know he wasn't banned. I also cannot speak for the reason he was given a time-out. That reason was not my call. Other than that, I have no interest in discussing it especially here.
I think all boards have their own rules and culture. I think instead of condemning them for it it's better to live and let live while being free to participate where you want. Isn't that the libertarian way, SNR?

mnchiefsguy
02-24-2011, 04:53 PM
If Chiefsplanet were to secede from PatriotsPlanet, would PatriotsPlanet declare war to try to bring us back?

patteeu
02-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Well, ya' know he wasn't banned. I also cannot speak for the reason he was given a time-out. That reason was not my call. Other than that, I have no interest in discussing it especially here.
I think all boards have their own rules and culture. I think instead of condemning them for it it's better to live and let live while being free to participate where you want. Isn't that the libertarian way, SNR?

Libertarians are allowed to express an opinion about the degree of silliness of any particular decision are they not? I didn't interpret SNR's comment to mean that he thinks there should be a law against that kind of silly behavior.

P.S. A temporary ban is still a ban.

alanm
02-24-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't know how I missed this poll. But since both sides of the family fought for the South I expect I would do the same.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Different world down there, isn't it?

Out of curiousity, do you find the people to be friendly, or only friendly on the surface?

Some of the nastiest pricks I've ever known were from the Deep South. If you weren't one of them, you sucked, at that was the end of it.

There is a "south thing" for sure. I dont get it much and I think it is because I speak with a bit of a draw. I guess because of my accent I may blend in more than someone from New York or Boston~

When I lived in Charlotte, people knew I was from Seattle and they were still some of the nicest people I've ever met. Southern hospitality is real down there, at least it was in my experience. Outside of the confederate flags, and the fact that they are the absolute WORST drivers on the face of the Earth, there are some solid people in that area.

Frazod
02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
When I lived in Charlotte, people knew I was from Seattle and they were still some of the nicest people I've ever met. Southern hospitality is real down there, at least it was in my experience. Outside of the confederate flags, and the fact that they are the absolute WORST drivers on the face of the Earth, there are some solid people in that area.

Apparently they just react poorly when removed from their element and deposited amongst a bunch of "damned Yankees." :D

ClevelandBronco
02-24-2011, 08:33 PM
If Chiefsplanet were to secede from PatriotsPlanet, would PatriotsPlanet declare war to try to bring us back?

We would SO kick their asses. Fag yankees.

Jenson71
02-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I drove through Georgia recently. Going down a street that has seven Baptist churches within 200 yards is a strange feeling.

Norman Einstein
02-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I seriously doubt that a Civil War would be the North Vs the South. It would most likely be the Blue Vs the Red, basically West/East Coasts vs the Rest of the country.

Dave Lane
02-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I drove through Georgia recently. Going down a street that has seven Baptist churches within 200 yards is a strange feeling.

I'm in Memphis tonite and drove across southern Missouri / northern Arkansas and oh my. I think they would string me up if they only knew.

Dave Lane
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Nice new avi Tom :)

RedNeckRaider
02-25-2011, 05:57 AM

I live in a fairly small town near the coast and there are more churches here than I could count. These people are big on the bible~

LaDairis
02-25-2011, 07:21 AM
We would SO kick their asses. pillowbiter yankees.

It was precisely that 'tude that got so many rebs offed...

LiveSteam
02-25-2011, 07:59 AM

JEW HATING NANCY BOY

ClevelandBronco
02-25-2011, 08:28 AM

You're able to recognize similarities of pattern. That's an important developmental sign.

alanm
02-26-2011, 02:14 AM
I seriously doubt that a Civil War would be the North Vs the South. It would most likely be the Blue Vs the Red, basically West/East Coasts vs the Rest of the country.The Coasts forces are already split. They'd be toast. :thumb:

joesomebody
02-26-2011, 02:46 AM
They really left peacefully but they couldn't really leave over the tariff issue; they had to do it over state's rights which the original Constitution granted them which unfortunately protected slavery. I think slavery would have died out anyway since most nations during that time did get rid of it with the stroke of a pen. It was just a matter of when.
I'm not going to read the whole thread, but I somewhat agree with you. The state's rights issue is a bunch of hokey. It really was slavery no matter how you want to twist it.

The last major country to outlaw slavery was Brazil in 1888, just 23 years after we did, so I would imagine our country would have gotten rid of it with our without the civil war before 1900.

Though our country is sort of stubborn when it comes to the rest of the world. We're one of the last major countries to not have public health care for more than just old and super poor people and we're the last to not use the metric system.

Norman Einstein
02-26-2011, 07:02 AM
The Coasts forces are already split. They'd be toast. :thumb:

That's why the right would win the "New Civil War".

BucEyedPea
02-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm not going to read the whole thread, but I somewhat agree with you. The state's rights issue is a bunch of hokey. It really was slavery no matter how you want to twist it. That's unfortunate because you missed some good information that most don't know.

It was really the tariff that was the last straw—not slavery. Again, the south couldn't use the tariff to secede under, however they could use state's rights as that allowed slavery under agreements made at the Constitutional Convention which resulted in the final version of the Constitution. Slavery was a factor, no doubt a point of contention between the north and the south, but Lincoln wasn't going to end slavery in the south states. He ended it in the District of Columbia using Compensated Emancipation though. So if Lincoln was going to end slavery in the south, he could have offered that to the south.

The last major country to outlaw slavery was Brazil in 1888, just 23 years after we did, so I would imagine our country would have gotten rid of it with our without the civil war before 1900.

Though our country is sort of stubborn when it comes to the rest of the world. We're one of the last major countries to not have public health care for more than just old and super poor people and we're the last to not use the metric system.

Yeah both the British and Spanish Empires ended slavery as well as at least ten more and they used Compensated Emancipation in many places gradually phasing it out. It's pretty tough to get rid of an institution that was around for millenia until awareness about it was raised. I say the Enlightenment had to come first for that to happen.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-27-2011, 12:30 AM
I would fight for which ever side promised me the cheapest price at the pump.

trndobrd
02-27-2011, 01:09 AM
The NFL Owners.

Psyko Tek
02-27-2011, 01:11 AM
Doubtful...The war ended in 1865.

Let's say that the spouse died in 1981 (exactly 20 years ago). If she got married at 14, on the last day of the Civil War, that would make her 130 in 1981. Unless of course she got married at 14 when the Civil War vet turned 70 about 40 years after the war. I'd hesitate to call it a spouse of a Civil War vet at that point though since she wouldn't of even been alive while he was fighting so she wouldn't really understand what was going on.

No, I remember this, she married him well after the war and was much younger

The Mad Crapper
03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dbTjbLliL00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stlchiefs
03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
The Union Jack.

FYP

Amnorix
03-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Based on where I live now, I'd probably be sympathetic with Quantrill's Raiders so sign me up for the South.

Quantrill? You gotta be kidding me. If you want to say you really respect Robert E. Lee and would follow him, fine, but Quantrill?

Early on the morning of August 21, Quantrill descended from Mount Oread (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/Mount_Oread) and attacked Lawrence at the head of a combined force of as many as 450 guerrillas. Senator Lane, a prime target of the raid, managed to escape through a cornfield in his nightshirt, but the bushwhackers, on Quantrill's orders, killed 183 men and boys "old enough to carry a rifle",Quantrill, known to be armed with several French pinfire revolvers, his favorite weapon of choice, carried out several personally,<SUP id=cite_ref-2 class=reference>[3] (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/#cite_note-2)</SUP> dragging many from their homes to execute them before their families. The ages of those killed ranged from as young as 14 all the way up to 90.<SUP style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" class=Template-Fact title="This claim needs references to reliable sources from June 2008">[citation needed (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]</SUP> When Quantrill's men rode out at 9 a.m., most of Lawrence's buildings were burning, including all but two businesses. His raiders looted indiscriminately and robbed the town's bank.

Amnorix
03-04-2011, 10:22 AM
That's unfortunate because you missed some good information that most don't know.

It was really the tariff that was the last straw—not slavery. Again, the south couldn't use the tariff to secede under, however they could use state's rights as that allowed slavery under agreements made at the Constitutional Convention which resulted in the final version of the Constitution. Slavery was a factor, no doubt a point of contention between the north and the south, but Lincoln wasn't going to end slavery in the south states. He ended it in the District of Columbia using Compensated Emancipation though. So if Lincoln was going to end slavery in the south, he could have offered that to the south.

Yeah both the British and Spanish Empires ended slavery as well as at least ten more and they used Compensated Emancipation in many places gradually phasing it out. It's pretty tough to get rid of an institution that was around for millenia until awareness about it was raised. I say the Enlightenment had to come first for that to happen.

I need to have some kind of autotext feature since the butchering of history you engage in tends to be very repetitive.

patteeu
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Based on where I live now,....

Quantrill? You gotta be kidding me. If you want to say you really respect Robert E. Lee and would follow him, fine, but Quantrill?

It's much more about geography than respect. I live a stone's throw from the home of a couple of pretty well known members of Quantrill's guerrilla gang.

Burning Lawrence to the ground doesn't hurt though.

RedNeckRaider
03-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Strange how a self serving asshole who hid his crimes behind a cause he cared nothing about is a hero to some~

patteeu
03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Strange how a self serving asshole who hid his crimes behind a cause he cared nothing about is a hero to some~

Jeez, Clinton is two presidencies ago. It's time to let go and focus on the disaster we have in office now. :p

Jaric
03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I seriously doubt that a Civil War would be the North Vs the South. It would most likely be the Blue Vs the Red, basically West/East Coasts vs the Rest of the country.

That would be a slaughter.

We've got all the guns.

ClevelandBronco
03-04-2011, 04:37 PM
That would be a slaughter.

We've got all the guns.

Depends on what the urban street gangs would do. There'd be a freelance opportunity available, but I imagine that as a rule they'd plunder any easy target.

Jaric
03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Depends on what the urban street gangs would do. There'd be a freelance opportunity available, but I imagine that as a rule they'd plunder any easy target.

I see your urban street gangs and raise you those semi crazy militia members just waiting for exactly this situation to arise.

Hell, they've been planning for it for years.

ClevelandBronco
03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
10,000 militia members vs. 900,000 gang members. You could sell tickets.

Jaric
03-04-2011, 05:58 PM
10,000 militia members vs. 900,000 gang members. You could sell tickets.

If the Militia dudes have home field advantage I'm taking them without question.

Besides, those 900,000 gang member are just as likely to start shooting each other as they are the other guys.

LiveSteam
03-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Anyone up for a game of
http://www.toplessrobot.com/risk-board-game.jpg

Jaric
03-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Anyone up for a game of
http://www.toplessrobot.com/risk-board-game.jpg

http://www.boardgamescritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/axis-and-allies-board-game.jpg

RedNeckRaider
03-05-2011, 08:15 AM
If the Militia dudes have home field advantage I'm taking them without question.

Besides, those 900,000 gang member are just as likely to start shooting each other as they are the other guys.

Game, set, match~

LiveSteam
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Their are 2 sides to this story

Quantrill himself said his motivation for the attack was, "To plunder, and destroy the town in retaliation for Osceola."[1] That was a reference to the Union's attack on Osceola, Missouri in September 1861, led by Senator James H. Lane. Osceola was plundered and nine men were given a drumhead court-martial trial and executed.[2][3] Several other Missouri towns and large swaths of the Missouri countryside had been similarly plundered and burned by Unionist forces from Kansas. Castel (1999) concludes that revenge was the primary motive, followed by a desire to plunder.[4] The retaliatory nature of the attack on Lawrence was confirmed by the survivors. "The universal testimony of all the ladies and others who talked with the butchers of the 21st ult. Is that these demons claimed there were here to revenge the wrongs done their families by our men under Lane, Jennison, Anthony and Co."[5]

In a bid to put down the Missouri guerrilla raiders operating in Kansas, General Thomas Ewing, Jr. issued General Order No. 10, which ordered the arrest of anyone giving aid or comfort to Quantrill's raiders. This meant chiefly women and children. Ewing confined those arrested in a make-shift prison in Kansas City. On August 13, 1863, this building collapsed, killing five women, including 14 year old Josephine Anderson, sister of William T. "Bloody Bill" Anderson. A third story had been added to the structure by George Caleb Bingham prior to conversion of the building into a jail. Some (later including Bingham who held a personal grudge against Ewing) claimed that the structure was undermined by the guards to cause its collapse while others maintained that it was structurally unsound before it was occupied.[6] While Quantrill's raid on Lawrence was planned prior to the collapse of the jail, the deaths of the querilla's female relatives undoubtedly added to their thrist for revenge and blood lust during the raid. [7]

The real target of the raid, Jayhawker Senator James H. Lane, who had been responsible for the raid in Osceola, Missouri two years earlier, escaped death by racing through a cornfield in his nightshirt.

crispystl420
03-05-2011, 07:49 PM

I moved from Missouri to Davidson NC and I agree the people here are genuinely nice, and they are crazy ass drivers too lol.

RedNeckRaider
03-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Well~

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lincoln_colonization

BucEyedPea
03-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Well~

Yep! Saw it and economic historian DiLorenzo has written about this for years and was dissed for it. Nice to see other scholars bringing it up.

Bowser
03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Well~

Interesting. They definitely weren't so enlightened back in the day, were they?