PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Should Women Be Required To Register For Selective Service?

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:01 PM
I've never really understood why women are exempt from having to register in the present day. Personally, I don't think that women should be required to serve in combat operations, but what is the argument against requiring them to register and, if called upon, to serve in a non-combat capacity?

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
No

I don't support perfect equality.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
No

Even if they would be precluded from combat?

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 01:06 PM
No, but neither should men. It's wasteful.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Yup! You can bet your Sterling Pound, that combat would be next.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Yup!

But men should be required to register?

King_Chief_Fan
No

I see, picker and chooser:D

blaise
I've wondered that when I hear them do the radio spots. The way they portray it on the radio ads is that it's so they can tell what sort of social programs you might qualify for. They don't mention military. Still, they only say "men".

Garcia Bronco
As long as they are precluded from combat. Technically that they don't have to register is a violation of the 14 Amendment...but whatever

Useful Idiot
02-22-2011, 01:09 PM

excluded to the kitchen?

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
But men should be required to register?

Did I say that? Is that the argument now?
If I don't support perfect equality then what would be a logical answer to this question of yours if men were required to register?

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
As long as they are precluded from combat. Technically that they don't have to register is a violation of the 14 Amendment...but whatever

The 14th does make some distinction between male and female citizens. Women weren't voting at the time.

Donger
Did I say that? Is that the argument now?
If I don't support perfect equality then what would be a logical answer to this question of yours if men were required to register?

It's a simple question. In addition to your opposition to having women be required to register, do you also think that men should not be required to register?

Donger
The 14th does make some distinction between male and female citizens. Women weren't voting at the time.

The good old days.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:13 PM
It's a simple question. In addition to your opposition to having women be required to register, do you also think that men should not be required to register?

I answered you.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I answered you.

Meh. Not in the mood.

I'll just deal with the menfolk who will give simple answers.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Meh. Not in the mood.

I'll just deal with the menfolk who will give simple answers.

I gave you a simple answer. It just requires logical thinking to see it. Isn't that the trait of men more than women? :p

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
I gave you a simple answer. It just requires logical thinking to see it. Isn't that the trait of men more than women? :p

Clearly.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:18 PM

Sigh. Supporting perfect equality doesn't tell me that you support or oppose men being required to register, honey.

Rausch
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
We are are equal and should be treated as such.

Same rights, liberties, and responsibilities...

Ebolapox
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
of course.

Rausch
02-22-2011, 01:21 PM
No

No honest woman does...

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
No honest woman does...

I am honest then.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Sigh. Supporting perfect equality doesn't tell me that you support or oppose men being required to register, honey.

Are you asking me if I support the idea of a draft? Generally speaking, no. I think enough will sign up should this country suffer a legitimate military attack. On the other hand, I won't say it as an ironclad absolute either since I like the idea of a citizen militia like the Swiss have. I'm a conservative and I am opposed to parts of feminism and I do not even support the ERA. I think women are entitled to certain protections instead of being considered equal to men.

Brock
02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Based on your restrictions, I would say yes.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Are you asking me if I support the idea of a draft? Generally speaking, no. I think enough will sign up should this country suffer a legitimate military attack. On the other hand, I won't say it as an ironclad absolute either since I like the idea of a citizen militia like the Swiss have. I'm a conservative and I do not even support the ERA. I think women are entitled to certain protections instead of being considered equal to men.

No, I'm asking if you support men being required to register for Selective Service.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
No, I'm asking if you support men being required to register for Selective Service.
That's the draft. So again, I'd have to say no.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
That's the draft. I'd have to say no.

No, it isn't the draft.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:35 PM
No, it isn't the draft.

For all intents and purposes it is. It gives the power to conscript men for military service.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
For all intents and purposes it is. It gives the power to conscript men for military service.

Registering for Selective Service isn't the draft. It is a method for implementing the draft if it is required.

Two separate things.

I know this because I registered for Selective Service long ago and I was never drafted.

Maybe I should have just asked what the men thought...

alnorth
02-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Yes. The government has the power, and should have the power, to conscript citizens into the army in a case of dire need. If the big evil red commie armies attack us, (regardless of how ridiculously unlikely it may be) we need the ability to call upon all available citizens to defend the country.

MOhillbilly
02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
women will never serve in fulltime combat ops. men tend to lose focus when women are wounded/killed in combat.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Registering for Selective Service isn't the draft. It is a method for implementing the draft if it is required.
That's what all intents and purposes means.

Two separate things.
They're very related.

Maybe I should have just asked what the men thought...
maybe

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM

They're very related.

maybe

You stated that Selective Service is the draft. It is not.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
women will never serve in fulltime combat ops. men tend to lose focus when women are wounded/killed in combat.

I agree. Israel had trouble with it, did away with it until a court case put it back in.
Plus I think it would be more inclined to harden men with regard to women.
I just don't like it. Now being a swallow sounds like it could be fun! :D

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
You stated that Selective Service is the draft. It is not.

Post #29 says " for all intents and purposes."

The Selective Service System is a means by which the United States maintains information on those potentially subject to military conscription. ...

May 18, 1917 creating the Selective Service SystemThe Act gave the President the power to conscript men for military service.
Also federal programs and benefits which is really a lure.
wikipedia

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Post #29 says " for all intents and purposes."

Yes, and that isn't accurate either.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Yes, and that isn't accurate either.

I edited.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I edited.

Your edit didn't add anything.

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM

They're very related.

maybe

Shit. I wouldn't trust you to define "yet."

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Your edit didn't add anything.

Yes I did but I thought you may have missed it as you only quoted part....but wasn't sure.
It's not a draft per se but it was set up for that reason. At one time it was called the Selective Draft Act.
That's all I am saying when I say for "intents and purpose."

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:56 PM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/for_all_intents_and_purposes

Adverb

for all intents and purposes (not comparable)

1. (idiomatic, US) For every functional purpose; in every practical sense; in every important respect; practically speaking.

It's the vehicle by which a draft is imposed is all I am saying.

Jaric
02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Yes. They wanted equality, I think it's only fair they get it.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Yes. They wanted equality, I think it's only fair they get it.

Whose "they"? How'd the ERA get defeated if "they" wanted it. Nope, women did not want it. The feminists wanted it.

Donger
02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/for_all_intents_and_purposes

Adverb

for all intents and purposes (not comparable)

1. (idiomatic, US) For every functional purpose; in every practical sense; in every important respect; practically speaking.

It's the vehicle by which a draft is imposed is all I am saying.

That's fine and accurate. What you stated earlier is was not and is not.

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 02:03 PM
She makes a small forgivable error, defends it to the death, making an ass of herself in the process, and declares victory.

It's like fucking Groundhog Day.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 02:04 PM
That's fine and accurate. What you stated earlier is was not and is not.

Should Women Be Required To Register For Selective Service?
I've never really understood why women are exempt from having to register in the present day. Personally, I don't think that women should be required to serve in combat operations, but what is the argument against requiring them to register and, if called upon, to serve in a non-combat capacity?

Your question clearly was related to serving in the military, as opposed to eligibility for federal programs and benefits.
Hence why I asked if you were asking me about the draft. So for all intents and purposes you were asking about having to serve if called on to do so. Post #31 saw it that way too. See how it was seen that way?

Jaric
02-22-2011, 02:04 PM
She makes a small forgivable error, defends it to the death, making an ass of herself in the process, and declares victory.

It's like ****ing Groundhog Day.

Just imagine what happens when you put her on the front lines!

Those terrorists won't know what hit them.

Donger
02-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Your question clearly was related to serving in the military, as opposed to eligibility for federal programs and benefits.
Hence why I asked if you were asking me about the draft. So for all intents and purposes you were asking about having to serve if called on to do so. Post #31 saw it that way too. See how it was seen that way?

:facepalm:

Just stop.

You made a mistake. No one is infallible.

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
:facepalm:

Just stop.

You made a mistake. No one is infallible.

Look, I asked you the question: "Are you asking me about a draft to clarify?"
You were asking about being required to serve if called on—right?

Besides, I conceded it was not a draft per se while still maintaining that was the purpose of having a ss.

I don't think there should be any requirement for anyone to sign up for the selective service.

ClevelandBronco
02-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Those terrorists won't know what hit them.

How long do you think she'd last before her own people fragged her ass?

Donger
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Look, I asked you the question: "Are you asking me about a draft to clarify?"
You were asking about being required to serve if called onóright?

Besides, I conceded it was not a draft per se while still maintaining that was the purpose of having a ss.

I don't think there should be any requirement for anyone to sign up for the selective service.

IT ISN'T THE F*CKING DRAFT AT ALL, WOMAN! NO "PER SE"

You were just, plain wrong. Period.

go bowe
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Those terrorists won't know what hit them.yep, as soon as she opens her mouth with a little neocon this and and a little hamiltoniarian that, those poor terrorists will be rolling on the ground laughing so hard they bust wide open...

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 02:15 PM

You were just, plain wrong. Period.

Were you asking if women should be required to serve in the military?
If so I don't see that as any different than a draft even if one is not in effect.

go bowe
02-22-2011, 02:15 PM

You were just, plain wrong. Period.this has never stopped her before...

Donger
02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Were you asking if women should be required to serve?

Perhaps you should READ THE F*CKING THREAD TITLE AGAIN and reach your own conclusion (which, of course, you've already done because you don't have the balls to admit mistakes).

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Perhaps you should READ THE F*CKING THREAD TITLE AGAIN and reach your own conclusion (which, of course, you've already done because you don't have the balls to admit mistakes).

I conceded it was not a draft per se. I, personally, just don't see it as all that different when I hear SS due to its purpose. As soon as I hear women must register for SS I think they want women to be conscripted.
I went back and looked at both your title and it's question after it.

luv
02-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Would I like the possibility of being drafted? Hell no. But do all men for that matter? My hunch would be no. My answer is yes and no...lol.

Yes - Women made a big stink about being treated as equals. They should not pick and choose what that equality includes.

No - I don't want to. :)

go bowe
02-22-2011, 02:21 PM
that's reasonable...

that's generally how men felt about the draft...

BucEyedPea
02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Would I like the possibility of being drafted? Hell no. But do all men for that matter? My hunch would be no. My answer is yes and no...lol.

Yes - Women made a big stink about being treated as equals. They should not pick and choose what that equality includes.

No - I don't want to. :)

feminists....it was women that helped stop the ERA.

Jaric
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
that's reasonable...

that's generally how men felt about the draft...
I agree. Very reasonable.

Dave Lane
02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes and yes combat as well.

HonestChieffan
02-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Neo feminists no doubt. FINO's

Brock
02-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes and yes combat as well.

Horrible idea.

RNR
02-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Horrible idea.

Agreed~

Taco John
02-22-2011, 02:47 PM
No one should be required to register for selective service.

kcfanXIII
02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Its funny how when people don't like one another on here they cling hold to every mistake the other party makes and there's a refusal to find a common ground where both parties are probably closer then they realize on most topics.

I wonder if everyone got mults how long it would take to nail every ones identity based soley off political opinion.

as for the original topic, if a guy has too, a girl should have to. I really am for equality, and Im for total equality. I also hope that should a legitimate threat be posed that there would be no shortage of volunteers.