PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues LOL, Saudi king shaking in his...

Frankie
02-23-2011, 10:14 PM
.... whatever he wears under the robe. :D Trying to bribe his people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110223/wl_nm/us_saudi_king

Saudi king back home, orders $37 billion in handouts

By Ulf Laessing
Wed Feb 23, 11:09 am ET

RIYADH (Reuters) Saudi King Abdullah returned home on Wednesday after a three-month medical absence and unveiled benefits for Saudis worth some $37 billion in an apparent bid to insulate the world's top oil exporter from an Arab protest wave.

The king, who had been convalescing in Morocco after back surgery in New York in November, stood as he descended from the plane in a special lift. He then took to a wheelchair.

Hundreds of men in white robes performed a traditional Bedouin sword dance on carpets laid out at Riyadh airport for the return of the monarch, thought to be 87.

Abdullah left his ailing octogenarian half-brother, Crown Prince Sultan, in charge during his absence.

Before Abdullah arrived, state media announced an action plan to help lower- and middle-income people among the 18 million Saudi nationals. It includes pay rises to offset inflation, unemployment benefits and affordable family housing.

Saudi Arabia has so far escaped popular protests against poverty, corruption and oppression that have raged across the Arab world, toppling entrenched leaders in Egypt and Tunisia and even spreading to Bahrain, linked to the kingdom by a causeway.

Significantly, Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa was among the princes thronging the tarmac when Abdullah flew in.

King Hamad freed about 250 political prisoners on Wednesday and has offered dialogue with protesters, mostly from Bahrain's Shi'ite majority, who demand more say in the Sunni-ruled island.

Riyadh would be worried if unrest in Bahrain, where seven people were killed and hundreds wounded last week, spread to its own disgruntled Shi'ite minority in the oil-rich east.

"DAY OF RAGE"

Hundreds of people have backed a Facebook call for a Saudi "day of rage" on March 11 to demand an elected ruler, greater freedom for women and the release of political prisoners.

Saudi analysts said the king might soon reshuffle his cabinet to inject fresh blood and revive stalled reforms.

Saudi stability is of global concern. A key U.S. ally, the top OPEC producer holds more than a fifth of world oil reserves.

The king announced no political reforms such as municipal council polls demanded by opposition groups. Saudi Arabia has no elected parliament or parties and allows little public dissent.

Jeddah-based Saudi analyst Turad al-Amri welcomed what he called "a nice gesture" from the king, saying the measures were not unprecedented or prompted by Arab protests elsewhere.

But other Saudis were critical. "We want rights, not gifts," said Fahad Aldhafeeri in one typical message on Twitter.

"They are under pressure. They have to do something. We know Saudi Arabia is surrounded by revolutions of various types, and not just in poor countries, but in some such as Libya which are rich," said Mai Yamani, at London's Chatham House think tank. "Basically what the king is doing is good, but it's an old message of using oil money to buy the silence, subservience and submission of the people," she said. "The new generation of revolution is surrounding them from everywhere."

Mahmoud Sabbagh, 28, said he and 45 other young Saudi activists had sent the king a petition advocating more profound change, not just economic handouts. He listed the group's demands as "national reform, constitutional reform, national dialogue, elections and female participation."

Saudi Arabia holds more than $400 billion in net foreign assets, but faces social pressures such as housing shortages and high youth unemployment in a fast-growing population.

"Housing and job creation for Saudis are two structural challenges this country is facing," said John Sfakianakis, chief economist at Banque Saudi Fransi, who put the total value of the king's measures at 140 billion riyals ($37 billion).

He said some benefits were one-off and others were already budgeted. "The inflationary impact will not be significant."

G20 member Saudi Arabia has outlined spending of 580 billion riyals for 2011 in its third consecutive record budget.

Investment bank EFG-Hermes put the king's benefit package at 100 billion riyals, saying it could rally a stock market that lost 4 percent in the past week on unrest in Bahrain and elsewhere.

Ahmad al-Omran, who runs the popular Saudi Jeans blog, said on Twitter that the measures would benefit many people, but were equivalent to fighting the symptoms and ignoring the disease.

"People don't revolt because they are hungry. People revolt because they want their dignity, because they want to govern themselves. Money won't solve our issues. We need true political and social reform. We need freedom, justice and dignity."

(Additional reporting by Asma al-Sharif in Jeddah, writing by Alistair Lyon; editing by Mark Trevelyan)

chiefsnorth
02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Is the feckless president going to sit on his hands and hide from microphones while the entire middle east falls perilously close to Islamic radicalism?

Frankie
02-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Is the feckless president going to sit on his hands and hide from microphones while the entire middle east falls perilously close to Islamic radicalism?

Saudis ARE "Islamic Radicalism." But we've been in bed with them forever because they are OUR Islamic Radicals,.... and they got plenty of oil.

chiefsnorth
02-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Saudis ARE "Islamic Radicalism." But we've been in bed with them forever because they are OUR Islamic Radicals,.... and they got plenty of oil.

Yeah, no difference between the Saudi royal family and Hamas, Hezbollah, the Taliban, etc.

Make the oil cracks all you want. The economic upheaval of the past 3 years will be just an appetizer for what will happen if Barrio loses all these countries to your buddies over there

Frankie
02-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Yeah, no difference between the Saudi royal family and Hamas, Hezbollah, the Taliban, etc.

Make the oil cracks all you want. The economic upheaval of the past 3 years will be just an appetizer for what will happen if Barrio loses all these countries to your buddies over thereWow, dude!

Do you realize almost all the 9-11 terrorists were Saudis? Saudis run that country much the same way the Taliban ran Afghanistan.

JUST WOW!!!! :shake:

Frazod
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Jesus, if this shit hits Saudi Arabia the price of oil could double. Fuck.

Frankie
02-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Jesus, if this shit hits Saudi Arabia the price of oil could double. ****.

Yep. That's why we should have made a lot more progress by now in other sources of energy instead of relying on oil.

suzzer99
02-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Yep. That's why we should have made a lot more progress by now in other sources of energy instead of relying on oil.

Nooooo. That's crazy talk. Stupid greens and your alternative energy subsidies. What good could possibly come of that? Just drill in ANWR. That 9-month supply of oil will solve all of our nations foreign oil problems. Get BP in there, I'm sure they've cleaned up their act by now.

chiefsnorth
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Wow, dude!

Do you realize almost all the 9-11 terrorists were Saudis? Saudis run that country much the same way the Taliban ran Afghanistan.

JUST WOW!!!! :shake:

ROFL

I knew some moron would say "but the terrorists were Saudis!!"

Just dumb beyond description.

Frankie
02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I knew some moron would say "but the terrorists were Saudis!!" No you didn't know. Your two ridiculously stupid posts here say that. Even if you "knew" would you tell us all why that would be the wrong argument? Come on, educate us with your vast knowledge.

Just dumb beyond description.Heh, you could have just signed your post "chiefsnorth" but this works too.

go bowe
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
who are you replying to frankie?

healthpellets
02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
so introducing entitlements to his people is going to stave off protest for reform?

interesting...

Frankie
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
who are you replying to frankie??

I'm not sure what you mean bud, but I'm replying to chiefsnorth.

patteeu
02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
ROFL

That wasn't just "some moron". That was Frankie, the sultan of morons. :)

LaDairis
02-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Make the oil cracks all you want. The economic upheaval of the past 3 years will be just an appetizer for what will happen if Barrio loses all these countries to your buddies over there

It is hilarious and sad to note that one of the few "talking points" still used to defend W's Iraq Treason was that "spreading democracy" in the ME would usher in peace...

and here we are, eight years after W invaded Iraq, and the biggest bigots who just wanted to off anyone and everyone with a turban on are absolutely behind the most anti-democratic regimes in the ME, Egypt and Saudi...

Perhaps the reason why the Saudi people are so "radical" is because the "ruling family" has 99.87% of the wealth of Saudi...

So the W apologist position is essentially

1. installing democracy at the point of a gun was absolutely the greatest thing ever in Iraq, and the lies used to justify it at the time were themselves justified because like I really wanted to get anyone who looked like "the terrorists" on FIXED and I know anyone who opposed Iraq was some sort of lib puss like Schwartzkopf and Eagleburger... and everyone who supported it was conservative like Chuck Schumer and Joe Lieberman...
2. now when "organic" revolutions depose tyrants, that is "bad" because Sarah Palin was told that by her masters... and oh my god, I am so friggin scared of something called the Muslim Brotherhood...

LaDairis
02-24-2011, 02:38 PM
ROFL

Where do you think the origin of the 911 terrorists was? In Iraq???

go bowe
02-24-2011, 03:16 PM
No you didn't know. Your two ridiculously stupid posts here say that. Even if you "knew" would you tell us all why that would be the wrong argument? Come on, educate us with your vast knowledge.

Heh, you could have just signed your post "chiefsnorth" but this works too.this reply...

whoever it is, i've got them on ffvb ignore, so i don't know who this quoted reply was directed to...

go bowe
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Where do you think the origin of the 911 terrorists was? In Iraq???afghanistan...

RubberSponge
02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Out of all the countries I have been to in the Middle East, or Arab countries in Northern Africa. Saudi Arabia and Israel are the 2 places where I can honestly say I felt extremely uneasy with my survival with the populace. Kuwait and Jordan were the most friendly by far. Anyway point was. Strange Bedfellows.

Frankie
02-24-2011, 04:54 PM
this reply...

whoever it is, i've got them on ffvb ignore, so i don't know who this quoted reply was directed to...

Roger.

alnorth
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
This is actually a pretty brilliant response. There's no shame in being frightened, as long as your fear causes you to respond intelligently.

One country's dictator tried to hold back and let people get tired of yelling, giving it time for things to boil over while trying to talk to the protestors. Didn't work.

Another country's dictator brought out his private well-funded army and ordered them and his supporters to kill everyone until they stop. Gaddafi will probably be dead by the end of next week.

If I was a king or dictator, I just watched all that go down, and I noticed my people are starting to grumble, then I just start handing out lots and lots of cash. Want food? here. Want some money? here. Want lower taxes? done. Want more democracy? We'll talk.

Just please don't riot and kill me.

mlyonsd
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Evidently the DOT took away Frankie's drivers license because he's an old fart. The only one that would think this is funny can't be driving a car.

Frankie
02-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Evidently the DOT took away Frankie's drivers license because he's an old fart. The only one that would think this is funny can't be driving a car.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!:mad:

mlyonsd
02-24-2011, 07:33 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!:mad::LOL:

BIG_DADDY
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Frankie,

How come you're not back home helping out the brotherhood.

chiefsnorth
02-25-2011, 01:55 PM
this reply...

Aww.. What did I do to hurt your feelings?

bevischief
02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Nooooo. That's crazy talk. Stupid greens and your alternative energy subsidies. What good could possibly come of that? Just drill in ANWR. That 9-month supply of oil will solve all of our nations foreign oil problems. Get BP in there, I'm sure they've cleaned up their act by now.

No they haven't.
http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/meanwhile-back-other-gulf