PDA

View Full Version : Life Doing the right thing.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I need some help making a decision.

Somebody I know contacted me asking for advice on a finish nailer purchase. I gave him several options and then remembered I had one new out in my shop I wasn't using. I looked up the lowest price on ebay $150 and gave it to him for $120.

Sent it via USPS priority Feb 4th. Hasn't arrived to his house. USPS says we're screwed - they lost it but don't offer anything at all.

I have a couple used finish guns or a new brad nailer I've offered.

I don't know the other guy's proposed solution. We haven't talked about it since yesterday. I'm not sure I'm on the hook for the entire $120 since I did everything right. I definitely don't think he should absorb the entire cost either.

So, what do think?

seclark
02-24-2011, 01:57 PM
someone's going to get nailed.
sec

DA_T_84
02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
someone's going to get nailed.
sec
/thread

blaise
02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
I'll be honest, I think it's the shipper's responsibility. That's how I would look at it if I ordered something off the internet. He's your friend (or at least an acquaintance) so that makes it a bit different, but he's received nothing so I don't know why he should pay anything.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
I'll be honest

That's what I want. I'm not looking for an excuse not to pay.

Old Dog
02-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Unless you offered shipping insurance and he declined, I would say you promised a product and didn't deliver so you should give him his $ back.
If you asked if he wanted it insured and he declined, he's SOL.

Not trying to be an ass, that's just the way I see it from an impartial viewpoint.

Brock
He paid you, you didn't deliver the merchandise, and you don't think he should get every cent of his money back?

Donger
Who is Brad and why do you want to nail him?

blaise
02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Hopefully he doesn't use Paypal and you can just not pay him back.

Otter
02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
He needs to not feel defeeted, keep a leg up until the healing comes afoot.

wrong thread?

God of Thunder
02-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Insurance is the shipper's option. NEVER the buyer's. On eBay you can 'sneak' your insurance cost into your shipping fee's, but the Insurance is only good for the seller, its a "failsafe" way to get your money back if something should go awry. As far as you 'asking' him for insurance, and him refusing means he is SOL, is COMPLETELY bad information. Take a look at the paypal terms on service (which im guessing is what you completed the transaction through) and you will see that it states the person who SHIPS is the only person insurance is good for. In fact, if he files a "item never received" on paypal, your paypal account will be deducted the full amount and he will have received his money back. Paypal has screwed us sellers over with their 'new' terms and there is a HUGE HUGE amount of fraud going on with eBay now. Apparently, all you hafta do it claim you never received the item, you get your money back, and keep the item. If they had tracking, all you must do it show a photo of an empty carton and claim it fell out through the course of transit. You'd get to keep whatever the purchase item was, get a full refund, and the seller is screwed unless he has insurance. Don't believe me, do a little research, and you'd be SHOCKED at how easy it is to scam sellers on eBay.

edit: And to echo everyone else's thoughts, if the package never shows up, you didn't deliver the item as promised, he's entitled to a full refund.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Insurance is the shipper's option. NEVER the buyer's. On eBay you can 'sneak' your insurance cost into your shipping fee's, but the Insurance is only good for the seller, its a "failsafe" way to get your money back if something should go awry. As far as you 'asking' him for insurance, and him refusing means he is SOL, is COMPLETELY bad information. Take a look at the paypal terms on service (which im guessing is what you completed the transaction through) and you will see that it states the person who SHIPS is the only person insurance is good for. In fact, if he files a "item never received" on paypal, your paypal account will be deducted the full amount and he will have received his money back. Paypal has screwed us sellers over with their 'new' terms and there is a HUGE HUGE amount of fraud going on with eBay now. Apparently, all you hafta do it claim you never received the item, you get your money back, and keep the item. If they had tracking, all you must do it show a photo of an empty carton and claim it fell out through the course of transit. You'd get to keep whatever the purchase item was, get a full refund, and the seller is screwed unless he has insurance. Don't believe me, do a little research, and you'd be SHOCKED at how easy it is to scam sellers on eBay.

edit: And to echo everyone else's thoughts, if the package never shows up, you didn't deliver the item as promised, he's entitled to a full refund.

This is what I'm looking for, actually. On whose shoulders does insurance fall. I mistakenly thought Priority mail implied $100 worth of coverage. It doesn't.

Old Dog
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM

Unless I missed something it wasn't a transaction through E-bay, so your post is a bit flawed (or I read it wrong). I never stated anything pertaining to E-bay policy, only what I thought was the moral thing to do.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Unless I missed something it wasn't a transaction through E-bay, so your post is a bit flawed. I never stated anything pertaining to E-bay policy, only what I thought was the moral thing to do.

I'm actually working from an ebay mentatility. I'll do whatever is common and accepted practice for ebay.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 02:23 PM
He paid you, you didn't deliver the merchandise, and you don't think he should get every cent of his money back?

I contend it's not my fault. I know it's not his fault. I'm trying to determine what is SOP for sellers under these circumstances.

Old Dog
02-24-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm actually working from an ebay mentatility. I'll do whatever is common and accepted practice for ebay.

My mistake then. Didn't realize it was a E-bay transaction.

Predarat
02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Nuts and Bolts, you both got screwed!

blaise
02-24-2011, 02:27 PM

I don't know if it was. I think he's saying he's using that as a guide.

God of Thunder
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Unless I missed something it wasn't a transaction through E-bay, so your post is a bit flawed (or I read it wrong). I never stated anything pertaining to E-bay policy, only what I thought was the moral thing to do.

right, and what you stated is the correct thing to do. I mentioned eBay policy at the beginning but this is also Paypals policy. Insurance is optional for the buyer, but paypal has BUYER PROTECTION, which IS insurance. Buyer protection states

link
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/safe_online_shopping

Here is paypal link mentioning that if the item NEVER arrives!
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/buyer_protection#paypal_protects_you-purchase_protection

How can sellers NOT be scammed via this process? All you hafta do it say you received an empty carton in the mail, that the item must have been stolen or fallen out, and you get a FULL refund!!
If the item is not as described, or never arrives, then he get a full refund. Where does that refund come from? The sellers paypal account. If the item never arrives, the buyer is instructed to open a "SNAD" or Significantly Not as Described, and of course......the buyer agian, gets his full money back.

I just got BURNED for $150 because my item arrived damaged. Buyer opened a dispute with paypal, 3 days later, my account is debited $150 and paypal says because my item is "trashed" they are NOT required to return it. I opted to do $50 of insurance on it, which I thought was protecting the buyer in case of emergency, and instead, I lose (technically) $100. I contacted my Post Office Postmaster about this, and he said its due to eBay and Paypal (they're one and the same)'s new policies on protecting the buyer (Paypal and eBay make their money off of the buyers). My transaction happened outside of eBay as well, on a popular internet forum.

God of Thunder
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Basically, its crap. You didn't do insurance (and neither did I) and we both learn a lesson from it. I will not put anything on eBay over $100 now to avoid being scammed. Furthermore, if you DO do insurance, the buyer must send it back in the EXACT packaing, and then the USPS examines it to ensure it was packed correctly before deciding whether to pay you.....what crap!

vailpass
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Tell him if he wants his money he can come and get it. But hide your garage door openers first.

Brock
02-24-2011, 02:35 PM
I contend it's not my fault. I know it's not his fault. I'm trying to determine what is SOP for sellers under these circumstances.

It is your fault. You didn't insure the package.

God of Thunder
02-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Tell him if he wants his money he can come and get it. But hide your garage door openers first.

your av....wow. There are somethings you cant 'unsee' and thats one of them.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 02:36 PM

It wasn't. But it looks like I'm probably on the hook for it, which is what I figured from the beginning. First time this has happened for me though.

teedubya
02-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Are you certain that he DIDN'T get the package?

ClevelandBronco
02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Somebody I know contacted me asking for advice on a finish nailer purchase. I gave him several options and then remembered I had one new out in my shop I wasn't using. I looked up the lowest price on ebay $150 and gave it to him for $120.

Sent it via USPS priority Feb 4th. Hasn't arrived to his house. USPS says we're screwed - they lost it but don't offer anything at all.

I don't know the other guy's proposed solution. We haven't talked about it since yesterday. I'm not sure I'm on the hook for the entire $120 since I did everything right. I definitely don't think he should absorb the entire cost either.

So, what do think?

If you chose UPS, then I'd say you're on the hook for the whole $120.

ClevelandBronco
02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
...First time this has happened for me though.

UPS lost a monitor that we shipped from a company that I worked for a long time ago when a new monitor that size cost $5,000. I yelled at them once a week at least for a couple of months then grew tired and gave up.

It arrived more than a year later with no announcement at all and no explanation of where it had been.

I try not to use UPS.

loochy
02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, seller is at fault always unless there is proof that the buyer received the item. From now on I'm sure you'll get insurance and delivery confirmation. :thumb:

I had some textbooks that the buyer claimed didn't show up a few months ago. I had no choice but to refund her money. If I hadn't gladly refunded, she would have filed a claim with Amazon and they would have taken the money back from me anyway.

DaneMcCloud
02-24-2011, 02:44 PM
This is what I'm looking for, actually. On whose shoulders does insurance fall. I mistakenly thought Priority mail implied $100 worth of coverage. It doesn't.

Unfortunately, it looks as if it falls on your shoulders. I ship anywhere between 20-50 packages per year and always use Fed EX because the USPS tracking leaves plenty to be desired. With Fed Ex, you can track your package at nearly every step of the way. With USPS, it's shipped and delivered.

Additionally, I always over-insure by at least $100 of the sale price because it's time consuming to file a claim and receive the insurance money from the shipping company and I'd bet the USPS is even worse.

I'd chalk it up to a learning experience. At least it was only a $120 item.

-King-
02-24-2011, 02:45 PM
USPS has been fucking up a lot lately. I bought something recently and it took 20+ days to arrive. 13 of those days, it just sat in their warehouse.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy
UPS lost a monitor that we shipped from a company that I worked for a long time ago when a new monitor that size cost $5,000. I yelled at them once a week at least for a couple of months then grew tired and gave up.

It arrived more than a year later with no announcement at all and no explanation of where it had been.

I try not to use UPS.

UPS is generally OK. They allow tracking of the packages and they are generally insured up to $100.

The POST OFFICE (USPS) is the bad one that can just lose stuff with NO CLUE and NO RECORD of where it's at.

chiefsnorth
I'll be honest, I think it's the shipper's responsibility. That's how I would look at it if I ordered something off the internet. He's your friend (or at least an acquaintance) so that makes it a bit different, but he's received nothing so I don't know why he should pay anything.

I would see it that way too. The shipment should be insured, and the buyer could be asked to pay that in the shipping charges. If this were two people who were strangers that is how it should be. If the seller didnt insure I wouldn't think that is the buyer's fault, the seller implies in the sale that he will get the goods to the buyer.

I will say though that it wouldn't be surprising for the package to show up. I had a letter show up in my mail a year after it was mailed once, and my mother had one that was lost in some mail warehouse for several years arrive once it was found, too.

Bearcat
02-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I think it's similar to when a friend's motherboard got fried on my watch... if the person that's owed the money took reasonable precautions, stuff happens that you can't be held responsible for.

In your case, I don't think USPS priority mail qualifies, especially since UPS' insurance on all packages is up to $100 (last time I checked, anyway).. and USPS has insurance and delivery confirmation, etc.

OTOH, I've never lost anything through USPS (just like I had never fried someone's motherboard), so the same thoughts would be running through my mind as far as who's ultimately responsible.

DaneMcCloud
02-24-2011, 03:04 PM
OTOH, I've never lost anything through USPS (just like I had never fried someone's motherboard), so the same thoughts would be running through my mind as far as who's ultimately responsible.

It's always the shipper's responsibility.

If the package doesn't arrive, it's the shipper's responsibility, whether the shipper sent it or not.

If the package arrives damaged, it's the shipper's responsibility because either the buyer will have recourse through their credit card company, Paypal and even the police department (if a check or money was used as payment).

Insurance is sold for a reason: If the a package is damaged or lost in transit, the shipper is automatically reimbursed for the loss. The "Oops, I didn't realize I should have spent one dollar on insurance" defense isn't valid in a court of law, or with credit card companies.

Coach
02-24-2011, 03:51 PM

Usually I sell stuff through Amazon, and I have a general rule. If merchanchise is worth more than $XX, I would put an insurance on it.

Better to be safe than sorry, even if they declined, I'd rather provide excellent customer service than taking chances, ya know?

Der Flöprer
02-24-2011, 05:12 PM
I hate to say it but I think this is on the shipper. If I buy something online and don't receive it, I dispute the charges with my bank and get my money back. Companies however just send out another item. It's only happened a couple of times, but I've never had to eat it. I know the circumstances are a little different here, but if this is about doing the right thing, that's my opinion.

A. F the USPS.

B. Always buy insurance for a buck or two if it's anything of value.

JASONSAUTO
02-24-2011, 05:18 PM

i agree, IMO its the sellers responsibility until its recieved.

should have insured it

JASONSAUTO
I hate to say it but I think this is on the shipper. If I buy something online and don't receive it, I dispute the charges with my bank and get my money back. Companies however just send out another item. It's only happened a couple of times, but I've never had to eat it. I know the circumstances are a little different here, but if this is about doing the right thing, that's my opinion.

A. F the USPS.

B. Always buy insurance for a buck or two if it's anything of value.

damn you floppy!!!!!!!!! beat me to it

R8RFAN

So, what do think?

I hate to say it man but you are on the hook.

I would just give him the money back and hope it just got lost and he gets it in a couple weeks and gives you your money back....

Also 120 bucks is not worth losing a friend over

Ship by Fedex, you will be paying my salary and we will get it there.

bevischief
02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Several years ago I ordered a few computer items and never got them. I filed a claim and got my money back. A few days later a little old lady dropped them off at my house because the UPS driver could not read the address on the house and mail box.

Der Flöprer
I hate to say it man but you are on the hook.

I would just give him the money back and hope it just got lost and he gets it in a couple weeks and gives you your money back....

Also 120 bucks is not worth losing a friend over

Ship by Fedex, you will be paying my salary and we will get it there.

Well that's enough for me to go with UPS. :fire:

Thig Lyfe
I thought this would be another thread about trading Cassel.

R8RFAN
02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Well that's enough for me to go with UPS. :fire:

If you want it beat all to hell then do it :rolleyes:

Extra Point
02-24-2011, 05:27 PM
That's the thing with USPS Priority: It's their priority to tell you that your're screwed if the sent party didn't receive it. For delivery confirmation, which "implies" insured value, they will get a signature. If it's lost in transit, thou art fucked. Therefore, insure it, get delivery confirmation, and send it Priority, to maximize USPS revenue, IF you're going to send it USPS.

(I think the guy is BS'ing you, but you have no way to prove it.)

Baconeater
02-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Are you certain that he DIDN'T get the package?
This is what I'm wondering...he shipped it Feb 4th, and the guy is just now complaining he didn't get it?

SDChiefs
02-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Go postal. And the usps wonders why no one goes with them anymore.

HemiEd
02-24-2011, 07:01 PM
This is what I'm wondering...he shipped it Feb 4th, and the guy is just now complaining he didn't get it?

Well, I am that guy. And I would love to have received it.
And it is pretty darn awkward, to say the least.

I asked Phil for advice, and he was doing me a favor, and he had a brand new unit he wanted to sell.

I paid him immediately, and the package was last documented at a fully automated postal facility in KC.

I have talked to the post office on the subject four times now. Normally, it would take $120 to get me to put up with a robot operator that long once, not four times. The most recent time was today while I was getting my stress test.

Illinois, can't get ahold of a live body in KC, it is fully automated and nobody will answer their phone. Now they are going to try involve their headquarters, to try and get KC to respond.

They mentioned it might be stuck on a conveyor somewhere, but who knows. Some of this is new information to Phil, as the post office still thinks I might get it. they don't seem to think 3 weeks is out the ordinary.

Paypal told me to forget about it. All I want to do is nail up some trim, not lose a friend.

MTG#10
02-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Shit just got real

Baconeater
02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, I am that guy. And I would love to have received it.
And it is pretty darn awkward, to say the least.

I asked Phil for advice, and he was doing me a favor, and he had a brand new unit he wanted to sell.

I paid him immediately, and the package was last documented at a fully automated postal facility in KC.

I have talked to the post office on the subject four times now. Normally, it would take $120 to get me to put up with a robot operator that long once, not four times. The most recent time was today while I was getting my stress test.

Illinois, can't get ahold of a live body in KC, it is fully automated and nobody will answer their phone. Now they are going to try involve their headquarters, to try and get KC to respond.

They mentioned it might be stuck on a conveyor somewhere, but who knows. Some of this is new information to Phil, as the post office still thinks I might get it. they don't seem to think 3 weeks is out the ordinary.

Paypal told me to forget about it. All I want to do is nail up some trim, not lose a friend.
Well shit Ed, I thought we were talking about an anonymous buyer, not a good friend of his. I'd take your word in a heartbeat.

Simply Red
02-24-2011, 07:08 PM

So, what do think?

why is USPS Saying you're screwed? pardon - i haven't read the whole thread yet.

Baconeater
02-24-2011, 07:09 PM
why is USPS Saying you're screwed? pardon - i haven't read the whole thread yet.
Because they can.

Simply Red
02-24-2011, 07:17 PM
If you let them, i'm masterful at it though, nothing beats persistent pissed off'edness, while stating facts and NOT going away. ... oh and tone, tone is important.

Simply Red
02-24-2011, 07:18 PM
of course - I'm talking of UPS and FedEx - this (USPS) is probably an entirely different animal.

DaFace
02-24-2011, 07:19 PM
It may still show up. They sometimes lose shit, but always has the address on it.

I until then, however, it's probably on the seller as others have said.
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Well shit Ed, I thought we were talking about an anonymous buyer, not a good friend of his. I'd take your word in a heartbeat.

That is the tuff part, I asked him for a favor, as I had no idea what to buy. I was about ready to pull the ebay trigger on one, but wanted Phils advice since he makes a living using this type of equipment.

I had a week trip to Southern California the week it shipped, and never thought about even tracking it, until Phil asked me if had received it.

We ship about 80 packages a day at work with UPS, never have any problems. I order a lot of mopar parts, and most of them come FEDEX ground, when someone ships USPS, I usually end up going to the post office to sign for it.

I am glad Phil started this thread, I am open to suggestions on a resolution. Hopefully a lesson can be learned from this, with no hard feelings.

Hog Farmer
02-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Ask him if some boar semen would suffice for compensation and I'll be glad to help you out at no charge.

This time.

Simply Red
02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Ask him if some boar semen would suffice for compensation and I'll be glad to help you out at no charge.

This time.

I wonder if that'd be a good protein treatment for hair?

Count Alex's Losses
02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Sounds like karma is holding you accountable Phil.

Bad things happen to shitheads.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 08:24 PM
I am glad Phil started this thread, I am open to suggestions on a resolution. Hopefully a lesson can be learned from this, with no hard feelings.

There's not gonna be any hard feelings on my end period. Business is business and friends are friends. I've already transferred the money back into my paypal account so as soon as it hits I'll push it through. Or for $75, I'll ship your choice of Porter Cable angled finish nailer or brand new Senco brad nailer. I'll ship UPS or Fedex priority this time - as my treat up to $20.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Sounds like karma is holding you accountable Phil.

Bad things happen to shitheads.

If I'm a bad person because I refuse to put up with your crap for more than 6 years of my life then I'll own it. You didn't think I was a bad person when I was coddling you. I can't be your cyber-daddy forever. I've disowned you and now you're paying for being a slow learner.

HemiEd
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
There's not gonna be any hard feelings on my end period. Business is business and friends are friends. I've already transferred the money back into my paypal account so as soon as it hits I'll push it through. Or for $75, I'll ship your choice of Porter Cable angled finish nailer or brand new Senco brad nailer. I'll ship UPS or Fedex priority this time - as my treat up to $20.The cool part would be for the one you mailed to show up, because I don't feel right about you being out on this deal either.

It would have been nice to talk it out, as I don't understand the difference in the nailers. I just want one to do the job, and you are the guy that knows which one will do that.

Screw the $$ difference, just send me the one that will do the job, with some of the nails. Does that work? UPS ground is automatically insured up to $100, and gets here in a couple days.

WV
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
So listen.....this Finish Nailer just showed up at my house and I didn't order one. What should I do with it? :)

Iowanian
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
I think it's on you this time.

Count Alex's Losses
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
If I'm a bad person because I refuse to put up with your crap for more than 6 years of my life then I'll own it. You didn't think I was a bad person when I was coddling you. I can't be your cyber-daddy forever. I've disowned you and now you're paying for being a slow learner.

Karma punched you in the nose.... :LOL:

ClevelandBronco
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
...All I want to do is nail up some trim, not lose a friend.

That's all any of us really want to do when we're not starving.

Okie_Apparition
02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
The nailer is being used as a doorstop in the KC postal terminal because it got torn out of the box. The box has been given a plastic liner and used as a urnal in a postal jeep in Raytown. The forwarding and return addresses sold to mailorder candy company catalog mailing list.

threebag02
02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Who is Brad and why do you want to nail him?

Donger made a funny

HemiEd
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
The nailer is being used as a doorstop in the KC postal terminal because it got torn out of the box. The box has been given a plastic liner and used as a urnal in a postal jeep in Raytown. The forwarding and return addresses sold to mailorder candy company catalog mailing list.

Ok so that made me laugh. ROFL

Phobia
02-24-2011, 08:49 PM
The cool part would be for the one you mailed to show up, because I don't feel right about you being out on this deal either.

It would have been nice to talk it out, as I don't understand the difference in the nailers. I just want one to do the job, and you are the guy that knows which one will do that.

Screw the $$ difference, just send me the one that will do the job, with some of the nails. Does that work? UPS ground is automatically insured up to $100, and gets here in a couple days.

Don't worry about that, Ed. I'm a big boy. This thread confirmed I need to pull my big boy britches up and take it. I don't know how much value "new" means to you. The brad nailer will definitely do the trick and is more versatile for more detailed projects should you ever need to do anything like that. The finish nailer is a 15 gauge nailer and will hang doors, crown, or just about any piece of wood that isn't framing.

WV
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
I need to pull my big boy britches up and take it.

This along with your Avatar make a classic combo! Funny stuff :)

Okie_Apparition
02-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Ok so that made me laugh. ROFL

They pulled the mess out of their anitquated machinery and didn't have enough sense to put two and two together. Your government at work ....err on the clock.

HemiEd
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Don't worry about that, Ed. I'm a big boy. This thread confirmed I need to pull my big boy britches up and take it. I don't know how much value "new" means to you. The brad nailer will definitely do the trick and is more versatile for more detailed projects should you ever need to do anything like that. The finish nailer is a 15 gauge nailer and will hang doors, crown, or just about any piece of wood that isn't framing.
New doesn't matter at all Phil, as it won't be new for long anyway. As I mentioned when we first talked, I just don't want junk tools and don't buy them if I can avoid it.
The grandsons will be glad someday. :D

JASONSAUTO
02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Damn both cp members.

I'm sure all will be resolved reasonably.

As long add roy and saulbad aren't involved
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
02-24-2011, 09:59 PM
If you didn't insure it you are 100% at fault. He has no way of knowing if you shipped a brick or a nail gun. If it got there broken you would have to get it back before the refund, but you're screwed in this scenario. I'd give them either a new gun or a refund at their option.

It's the right thing to do, but ultimately your call.

So, what do think?

J Diddy
02-24-2011, 10:05 PM
If you didn't insure it you are 100% at fault. He has no way of knowing if you shipped a brick or a nail gun. If it got there broken you would have to get it back before the refund, but you're screwed in this scenario. I'd give them either a new gun or a refund at their option.

It's the right thing to do, but ultimately your call.

Dude I got to agree with this. I've had the same issue with ebay folks and they were far from friends. Remember you can try to do the right thing, in the end all it gets you is a clear conscious and good karma.

Just Passin' By
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM

New doesn't matter at all Phil, as it won't be new for long anyway. As I mentioned when we first talked, I just don't want junk tools and don't buy them if I can avoid it.
The grandsons will be glad someday. :D

It's great that you seem willing to come to some meeting of the minds. Just make sure to work out a contingency for what to do if the first one sent arrives fashionably late after this backup plan goes into effect.

And, Phobia, a little advice on the USPS, to be taken or discarded as you choose. Any time you mail something of real value through them, always get insurance for replacement cost, as well as getting tracking and either delivery confirmation or return receipt. With the way the post office loses mail, it's the only way to go.

And never send anything of the "priceless" sort through USPS. You might just as well break it or lose it yourself, and save the hassle.

Phobia
02-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I think I'm done with USPS. I can't stomach getting ripped like that. No apology, no explanation, no idea.

I'll definitely make it work out for Ed. I'm thinking about sending him both guns so he can figure out what he wants to keep and then he can bring the other back next time he comes through town to visit his family.

jettio
02-25-2011, 12:38 AM
One thing I would recommend not doing is going back to the post office and saying that if they do not find your f*ckin' gun in ten minutes, you will come in with a bigger gun and spray this f*ckin' place.

Phobia
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
One thing I would recommend not doing is going back to the post office and saying that if they do not find your f*ckin' gun in ten minutes, you will come in with a bigger gun and spray this f*ckin' place.

I did that but I told them my name was Tom Cash so I think I'm gonna be okay.

jettio
02-25-2011, 12:51 AM
I did that but I told them my name was Tom Cash so I think I'm gonna be okay.

There is probably some rookie postal inspector somewhere sorting through 3,000 internet aliases tonight.

Tough break, I would be bummed in that situation. Maybe you are due for some good fortune payback soon.

Phobia
02-25-2011, 01:01 AM
There is probably some rookie postal inspector somewhere sorting through 3,000 internet aliases tonight.

Tough break, I would be bummed in that situation. Maybe you are due for some good fortune payback soon.

Nah - this is but a small setback. I have good fortune every day of my life.

jettio
02-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Nah - this is but a small setback. I have good fortune every day of my life.

:thumb:

R8RFAN
02-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Remove doubt and firmly plant lips to ass ROFL

Dave Lane
02-25-2011, 08:49 AM
USPS is great for shipping, I send 10-15 packages a week and they all get there. One key is use priority mail online. You get free tracking, free boxes, and free delivery confirmation.

Yeah, I think I'm done with USPS. I can't stomach getting ripped like that. No apology, no explanation, no idea.

I'll definitely make it work out for Ed. I'm thinking about sending him both guns so he can figure out what he wants to keep and then he can bring the other back next time he comes through town to visit his family.

Phobia
02-25-2011, 09:13 AM
USPS is great for shipping, I send 10-15 packages a week and they all get there. One key is use priority mail online. You get free tracking, free boxes, and free delivery confirmation.

That's what we used. Got the whole setup here at the house. Free pickup at the house is cool too.

Deberg_1990
02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Wow, now i know why people go "Postal" good grief, id be pissed.

R8RFAN
02-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Subsidized by the gubment and loses money every year.... USPS

Use Fedex or UPS

Fedex preferably

HemiEd
02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
I got some excitement this morning, the mailman came into my office with a box (that he would normally deliver to my house, but I only work a half mile from home) so naturally I thought it was the missing nailer.
(We have a small Village post office, and they all know me and my projects)

Nope, it is a 65 Barracuda steering wheel I bought on Monday. :banghead:

threebag02
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPhUjdPz12KbDPXlZXNGpFzelB85vL-dx50TyiRPIqRnoCy99EJw

A Spike Lee joint

KC Tattoo
02-25-2011, 10:44 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qMq3w7RVnvc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qMq3w7RVnvc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
--

NEWMAN!

DaFace
02-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Subsidized by the gubment and loses money every year.... USPS

Use Fedex or UPS

Fedex preferably

Just for the record, the subsidy thing is false, for the most part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service
Since its reorganization into an independent organization, the USPS has become self-sufficient and has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the minor exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters. However, it is currently borrowing money from the U.S. Treasury to pay its deficits.

That said, if I want something to get there on time and intact, I use UPS or FedEx.

Phobia
02-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I know countless carriers, postmasters, and workers so I've always wanted to support USPS when possible. Plus, I don't believe in using businesses that can afford to buy superbowl commercials. But, I also don't believe in taking a screwing.

HemiEd
02-25-2011, 11:43 AM

That said, if I want something to get there on time and intact, I use UPS or FedEx.

Our local post office is evidence they are trying to make a profit, as the building is for sale. They then plan to lease it back. Too bad it is such crap market for industrial buildings.

But if they were truly serious about making a profit, they would Merge with the extremely large Carol Stream post office, about a mile and a half away. It just makes no sense to me to have both, and I am about 3/4 of a mile away from each.

I wonder how many times this situation is duplicated around the country? Even the U.S. Military has eliminated a lot of this kind of duplication.

R8RFAN
02-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Just for the record, you are wrong again...

No, the USPS is a Business!
the Postal Service takes on some several very non-governmental attributes via the powers granted to it under Title 39, Section 401 (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/39/401.html), which include:

power to sue (and be sued) under its own name;

power to adopt, amend and repeal its own regulations;

power to "enter into and perform contracts, execute instruments, and determine the character of, and necessity for, its expenditures";

power to buy, sell and lease private property; and,

power to build, operate, lease and maintain buildings and facilities.

All of which are typical functions and powers of a private business. However, unlike other private businesses, the Postal Service is exempt from paying federal taxes. USPS can borrow money at discounted rates, and can condemn and acquire private property under governmental rights of eminent domain.

which means it's subsidized ... they compete with UPS AND FedEx and those two are not exempt from federal taxes.

How many businesses you know of that can lose money every year in their existence and still survive?
The USPS does get some taxpayer support. Around $96 million is budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies, and for keeping some rural posts offices in operation.
Under federal law, only the Postal Service can handle or charge postage for handling letters. Despite this virtual monopoly worth some $45 billion a year, the law does not require that the Postal Service make a profit -- only break even. Still, the US Postal Service has averaged a profit of over $1 billion per year in each of the last five years. Yet, Postal Service officials argue that they must continue to raise postage at regular intervals in order make up for the increased use of email.

R8RFAN
02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Our local post office is evidence they are trying to make a profit, as the building is for sale. They then plan to lease it back. Too bad it is such crap market for industrial buildings.

But if they were truly serious about making a profit, they would Merge with the extremely large Carol Stream post office, about a mile and a half away. It just makes no sense to me to have both, and I am about 3/4 of a mile away from each.

I wonder how many times this situation is duplicated around the country? Even the U.S. Military has eliminated a lot of this kind of duplication.
According to the laws under which it now operates, the U.S. Postal Service is a semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit.

DaFace
02-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Just for the record, you are wrong again...

which means it's subsidized ... they compete with UPS AND FedEx and those two are not exempt from federal taxes.

How many businesses you know of that can lose money every year in their existence and still survive?

While true, USPS effectively (though not formally) operates as a nonprofit organization. Because of that, they don't pay federal taxes, just like other nonprofits. Yes, they're technically an exemption. But as you said, they "lose money every year," so they wouldn't be paying taxes anyway.

(The reality is that they are supposed to have excess revenues in some years to make up for the money they lose in others. But in the end, they're supposed to have a net zero profit in the long term, which would negate any taxes they would pay over time.)

ClevelandBronco
02-25-2011, 02:30 PM
...the law does not require that the Postal Service make a profit...

That's handy.

R8RFAN
02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
While true, USPS effectively (though not formally) operates as a nonprofit organization. Because of that, they don't pay federal taxes, just like other nonprofits. Yes, they're technically an exemption. But as you said, they "lose money every year," so they wouldn't be paying taxes anyway.

(The reality is that they are supposed to have excess revenues in some years to make up for the money they lose in others. But in the end, they're supposed to have a net zero profit in the long term, which would negate any taxes they would pay over time.)

Just like amtrack though, they never break even or come close....

HemiEd
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM

Just maybe if they TRIED to make a profit, they could approach breaking even.

It is what has made our free enterprise system great, trying to make a profit.

This thread is a glaring example, we are all in agreement, that the two "for profit" companies in this business, FedEx and UPS, are reliable.

It is the "Government" entity, that is the reason this very thread exists. They need to stick to junk mail and birthday cards.

ClevelandBronco
02-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Just maybe if they TRIED to make a profit, they could approach breaking even.

It is what has made our free enterprise system great, trying to make a profit.

This thread is a glaring example, we are all in agreement, that the two "for profit" companies in this business, FedEx and UPS, are reliable.

It is the "Government" entity, that is the reason this very thread exists. They need to stick to junk mail and birthday cards.

Not from my point of view. Yesterday (because I misread the OP) I posted the experience that continues to sour me on UPS to this day. On the contrary, the USPS has never lost, temporarily misplaced, unreasonably delayed or destroyed anything that was important to me, and when I take into account the marvel that they can deliver mail to virtually anywhere at a very affordable rate, I'm actually quite impressed.

R8RFAN
02-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Not from my point of view. Yesterday (because I misread the OP) I posted the experience that continues to sour me on UPS to this day. On the contrary, the USPS has never lost, temporarily misplaced, unreasonably delayed or destroyed anything that was important to me, and when I take into account the marvel that they can deliver mail to virtually anywhere at a very affordable rate, I'm actually quite impressed.

Mail to me is the USPS' job, packages should not be .I do not think it is fair for UPS and Fedex to have to compete with someone who does not have to make a profit nor will they ever run out of checks...

If it's something cheap, I use USPS if it's something worth more I use Fedex or UPS.....

HemiEd
02-25-2011, 03:25 PM

If your experience was the norm, UPS would be out of business, not so with the post office.

We ship about 22,000 packages UPS a year, and I can't recall one getting lost. That is what they do, and have to do, to make a profit.

RedNeckRaider
02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Unless it was agreed buyer beware IMO you eat it. I know that sucks but what would your stance be if the gun arrived but his money some how was lost through error? Would you be looking to split the loss? I don't know $120. dollars is no big deal but you also got stuck the original money also. Bad deal and I hope it works out for both of you~

Okie_Apparition
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I have heard that postal inspectors are the only agency in the US allowed to waterboard. But they do have to show proof the water source was first ran through a water softner.

HemiEd
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
We are getting somewhere now!

Bill Lundberg
02-28-2011, 04:05 PM

The lost of any piece of mail is as disappointing to us as it is to you.

USPS - nothing but the best and brightest!

Bill Lundberg
02-28-2011, 04:07 PM
I have heard that postal inspectors are the only agency in the US allowed to waterboard. But they do have to show proof the water source was first ran through a water softner.

Didn't ENDELT have that same avatar?:hmmm:

HemiEd
02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Didn't ENDELT have that same avatar?:hmmm:

yep, and he had Pastormikes avatar recently as well. :eek:

Phobia
02-28-2011, 07:10 PM
I have a UPS tracking number for you on a piece of paper somewhere around here. Cost me $25 but it will be there Wednesday.

Sent nails for both guns but if you're going to try to use the brad nailer for base you'll have to pick up some longer brads at Home Depot.

HemiEd
02-28-2011, 07:47 PM
I have a UPS tracking number for you on a piece of paper somewhere around here. Cost me $25 but it will be there Wednesday.

Sent nails for both guns but if you're going to try to use the brad nailer for base you'll have to pick up some longer brads at Home Depot.

Thanks Phil, hopefully the other one pops up soon. I was going to write the post office back today, but just ran out of time. They would probably just lose it anyway,
I will be glad to help with the extra costs. Like I said from the beginning, this sucks and is awkward since I asked for a favor. If it was an ebay item, that would be a whole different story.

Phobia
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Don't worry, Ed. I'm not gonna hurt too bad. Maybe the other one will show up one day. If it does, ship it to me UPS. Do not put Return to Sender. ;)

HemiEd
03-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Ok, it has been a month, so time to stir them up a little. Thanks again for all you have done Phil, it is very much appreciated. I am going to keep working them on this end, to try and get your loss back.

United States Postal Service March 7, 2011
xxxxxxxxxx
500 East Fullerton Avenue
Carol Stream, Il 60199-9631

Dear Ms.xxxxxx

I am receipt of your letter dated February 25th, 20011 regarding my missing package xxxxxxxxxx.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to personally write to me, regarding this lost Senco Nailer mailed to me on February 4th. I have personally talked Mr. Kloster, the seller and shipper, regarding the Priority Mail shipment xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and apparently both of us mistakenly thought Priority mail, had some priority, or special handling and treatment.

I must say, I am very upset with this loss of my birthday present from my family, and it is an item I was counting on using extensively by now. I just can’t imagine, how a complete month has passed, and this rather heavy item has not been located.

Would the USPS have a lot of this type of product loose or unidentified? Could it possibly be stolen internally?

I must say, I have been nothing less than thrilled with the local USPS facility and it’s employees in my 14+ years here, but this item apparently never left Kansas City.

Personally, I would truly appreciate some extra effort the USPS and more specifically the Kansas City facility, to try and locate my nailer.

The local man assigned to this incident from the USPS, has followed up with me twice, and he said he was having no luck reaching a live person in Kansas City. I can imagine how difficult it would be for someone not from the USPS.

Thanks again for your efforts, and I hope you can find my nailer.

Regards,

Ed

tooge
03-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Dear Bonita,
Thank you for the kind, albeit worthless and uniformative letter. I find it very comforting that you have a "loose in the mail" area that you can check. We had that in Kindergarden and it was called "lost and found", and it worked quite well when I left one of my gloves (the left if I remember correctly) on the playground. It was the only glove in the box with a little Santa Clause face on it apparently. Now, I could understand if we were talking about dust bunnies here Bonita, but we're not, are we? I have an area in my kitchen that collects dust bunnies and I try to pick them up every 90 days, sort of like your system. If you were to ask me to get a specific dust bunny for you, I could see a problem, but were talking about a fucking brad nailer, not dust bunnies. How many brad nailers do you think were shipped from Kansas City in the last month Bonita? How many brad nailers are sitting in the "loose in the mail" area? Seriously. You really think that lame assed letter is gonna make me feel better? How about a reach around Bonita? Can I have one of those too? Tell ya what, if you don't get someones government subsidized ass out looking for my brad nailer, I'll get a new one, and come down there and brad nail that lame assed letter to your fucking forhead. Then you can change your name from Bonita, to that lady with the two big assed nails in her head. Capiche? Now, I'm sure this all sounds reasonable to you, so I will expect to hear from you in the next 48 hours with news that you have my brad nailer.
Respectfully
Phobia

HemiEd
03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Dear Bonita,
Thank you for the kind, albeit worthless and uniformative letter. I find it very comforting that you have a "loose in the mail" area that you can check. We had that in Kindergarden and it was called "lost and found", and it worked quite well when I left one of my gloves (the left if I remember correctly) on the playground. It was the only glove in the box with a little Santa Clause face on it apparently. Now, I could understand if we were talking about dust bunnies here Bonita, but we're not, are we? I have an area in my kitchen that collects dust bunnies and I try to pick them up every 90 days, sort of like your system. If you were to ask me to get a specific dust bunny for you, I could see a problem, but were talking about a ****ing brad nailer, not dust bunnies. How many brad nailers do you think were shipped from Kansas City in the last month Bonita? How many brad nailers are sitting in the "loose in the mail" area? Seriously. You really think that lame assed letter is gonna make me feel better? How about a reach around Bonita? Can I have one of those too? Tell ya what, if you don't get someones government subsidized ass out looking for my brad nailer, I'll get a new one, and come down there and brad nail that lame assed letter to your ****ing forhead. Then you can change your name from Bonita, to that lady with the two big assed nails in her head. Capiche? Now, I'm sure this all sounds reasonable to you, so I will expect to hear from you in the next 48 hours with news that you have my brad nailer.
Respectfully
Phobia

That is pretty much what I wanted to say. I did change the one some that I actually sent, to include that Phil shipped the replacement units UPS, to make sure I got them this time.

Phobia
03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Run those new guns anywhere from 80-110, Ed. Higher for hardwood and lower for pine.

CrazyHorse
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM

So, what do think?

You ask a basic question, I'll give you the answer.

You owe him every penny he is out. Including shipping if he paid any.
Thats not to say you cant work another deal. But you entered a basic contract with USPS for thier services and they breached that contract. You and the buyer have a contract. One that he has not breached.

Remember, just because USPS says they're not on the hook for it dont mean they aren't. There is a remedy for you. You just have to find out what it is.

Good luck.

HemiEd
03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Run those new guns anywhere from 80-110, Ed. Higher for hardwood and lower for pine.

Thanks, I will put a regulator on the hose then, as I have my compressor set at 125.

When, I fired the bigger one it sounded like a gun going off, so I decided to check with you on the pressure, after spending about an hour googling with no results.

Phobia
03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
There is a remedy for you. You just have to find out what it is.

Is this code for something?

CrazyHorse
03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Is this code for something?

lol. I just know that they cant take your stuff and not deliver it, then claim no responsibility. There would be nothing in place to keep them from just keeping what they want without consequence.

I know UPS pays the 1st 100 bucks if they lose your stuff. You pay for insurance over 100.

BTW I didnt read the whole thread. Now I have. Sounds like you may have already found your remedy to some degree.

Phobia
03-07-2011, 05:39 PM
BTW I didnt read the whole thread. Now I have. Sounds like you may have already found your remedy to some degree.
No, that's Ed's remedy. Now I'm out 3 tools worth about $500 retail and have $90 in my pocket.

CrazyHorse
03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
No, that's Ed's remedy. Now I'm out 3 tools worth about $500 retail and have $90 in my pocket.

No good deed goes unpunished my friend.

Thats just bullshit!

I wonder if the federal trade commission deals with the post office. Isnt that where you report the gas, electric, phone, and stuff like that? Take em to court.

bevischief
03-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Go buy a powerball ticket.

Pushead2
03-07-2011, 05:56 PM
send nudes to them...

Phobia
03-07-2011, 06:23 PM
No good deed goes unpunished my friend.

Thats just bullshit!

I wonder if the federal trade commission deals with the post office. Isnt that where you report the gas, electric, phone, and stuff like that? Take em to court.

I'll be fine. I'm not mad at him. I'm frustrated with the Post Office.

ChiefButthurt
03-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I'll be fine. I'm not mad at him. I'm frustrated with the Post Office.

All will end well in due time. They are slow but they will deliver it eventually. Some doofus will find it laying in a corner and push it through the system with absolutely no embarrassment.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Mail to me is the USPS' job, packages should not be .I do not think it is fair for UPS and Fedex to have to compete with someone who does not have to make a profit nor will they ever run out of checks...

If it's something cheap, I use USPS if it's something worth more I use Fedex or UPS.....

UPS and FedEx don't even compete on the same basic groundrules....what's the difference?

FedEx operates under airline labor rules, and UPS under railway labor rules. The airline labor rules give FedEx certain advantages that UPS cannot take advantage of.

wutamess
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
You didn't use it anyways... Sometime you just have to take an L. $120 isn't going to make or break you so be the stand up guy in this one. This one's an easy decision.

crazycoffey
03-07-2011, 11:24 PM
you're nice to people?