PDA

View Full Version : Economics What republicanism means...

oldandslow
02-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Much of what we talk about on this forum is in the abstract - philosophy of community versus individualism, the levels in govt in private life, yada, yada, - but I thought I would share what happened to my family yesterday.

We live in the state of South Dakota. And even though the state is holding over 100 million in tax dollars in reserve they think it best to cut education and medicaid. There was talk of a temp 1 cent sales tax, but that died. The Governor is Scott Walker, west.

But what does that mean to real people...to me and my family...

As many of you know, we adopted 3 little ones over the past 5 years. Two half brothers and their sister. The light of our lives. Still, the little girl was shaken baby and was paralyzed on the right side, is legally blind and has needed various medical procedures and will need more in the future. When we adopted them the state promised medical care for the little girl until she was 18.

Yesterday, they said no. Draconian cuts to medicaid. The social service people called and said they can no longer do it.

We will, of course, attempt to place her on our insurance, as are her two brothers, but our state insurance is not so great. 70-30 with a large deductable. I suspect I will end up having to get a lawyer to just get her on the policy and even then it will cost us thousands of dollars over the years in medical bills.

I could go to court and attempt to sue the state, but I suspect that would cost a bazillion in court fees with the threat of not winning. It is also not my way.

I make a good salary and we live very self sufficiently. I will pay this.

But there are real costs in republicanism. Costs that hurt good people trying to do good things.

I think all of us should remember that.

dirk digler
02-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Damn that sucks sorry to hear that oldandslow.

Buehler445
02-25-2011, 08:32 AM
First, very sorry to hear about your daughter. I think it is outstanding that people adopt. People that adopt really do a tremendous service to our society.

But to blame your current situation on the republicans is short sighted. What the government was is doing is unsustainable. The whole fucking system is to fault, not just some guys grasping at straws trying to find something to fix.

ClevelandBronco
02-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Mr. oldandslow, I didn't know about your situation until now, perhaps because you don't call attention to your deeds at every possible opportunity. I'm sorry that this is an unfortunate and unpredictable consequence of you doing not just the right thing, but the excellent thing. May blessings rain upon you.

Jenson71
02-25-2011, 09:20 AM
What kind of promise did the state give you, oldandslow? I think it would be worth taking your documents/contract to a lawyer to see what options you have.

Good luck.

LiveSteam
02-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Prayers & good luck. I hope it all works out for you & your child. Children are the only innocents left in this world. Their should be exceptions to the state rules where kids are concerned.

Otter
02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry for the problems this brought to you personally and certainly wish you the best.

It's too bad the elected reps who've been basically cooking the books (both Republicans and Democrats) for the last decade or so get to walk away virtually unscathed and the people who've been playing by the rules wind up picking up the tab. I hope this teaches us all, especially our younger generation, to be vigilant with the government. Stop them from growing into the monstrosity they've become and want to become and become their auditors as was intended.

Human nature supplies us with a short memory however. Best of luck friend.

Bwana
02-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry for the problems this brought to you personally and certainly wish you the best.

It's too bad the elected reps who've been basically cooking the books (both Republicans and Democrats) for the last decade or so get to walk away virtually unscathed and the people who've been playing by the rules wind up picking up the tab. I hope this teaches us all, especially our younger generation, to be vigilant with the government. Stop them from growing into the monstrosity they've become and want to become and become their auditors as was intended.

Human nature supplies us with a short memory however. Best of luck friend.

This

fan4ever
02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
God bless people like you Mr. Old and Slow, and often politicians do things that affect people in ways they simply don't realize...at least I would certainly hope that's the case. I'm sure if your situation was placed in front of legislators asking if they would take away your support, they wouldn't do so.

That being said, I have a 14 year old son who has severe Cerebral Palsy. We receive some state aid (ACHHHHS here in AZ) but my wife continues to teach in order to maintain our insurance (group insurance since she's a teacher...individual insurance would be prohibitive if we could get it at all) so we would never have to rely on the state's services. Our insurance covers most of our son's needs, and if AZ ever pulls the plug on us, we'll be in a survivable situation. Many of our friends, because often a handicapped child often requires 24/7 attention, have decided to rely totally on the state and are now feeling much of the crunch.

The only advise I can get you is to get an appointment or in touch with your congressman, cultivate a little media attention, and see if you can't get your situation the attention it deserves.

Good luck.

Fat Elvis
02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
That is truly a shame. Welcome to the Plutocratic States of America. I feel your pain as I work in the disability field; here in Kansas they are proposing massive cuts to people with disabilities. When asked what people with disabilities are supposed to do, Kansas House Speaker Michael O'Neal basically responded with, "Find a rich person who will support you."

fan4ever
02-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Oh, and I forgot...if it gets down and dirty, you can threaten to place this child in foster care or a ward of the state...which will cost the state even more.

Fat Elvis
02-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Due to the neurological damage to your daughter and the impact that a decrease in services/funding could have on her life, especially in home and community based services, you might want to look into filing an Olmstead complaint against the state of SD.