PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Giddy Haley Talks Zorn

dirk digler
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/giddy-haley-talks-zorn-%E2%80%A6-friday-cup-o%E2%80%99combine.html

As he sat in the busy lobby of the Westin Hotel in downtown Indianapolis, Todd Haley was almost bubbly. The Chiefs head coach was possibly as close to giddy as he gets.

The subject matter that created his excitement was not the parade of NFL coaching and management types strolling through the palatial leather chairs of the Westin. It was not the potential draft picks he was going to see over the coming days at the workouts and interview sessions of the NFL Combine.

What had Haley thinking big thoughts was his 2011 coaching staff. While he escaped the cold, snow and windy conditions of Kansas City for the cold, snow and windy weather of Indy, most of his coaches were back at the team’s facilities, working hard and preparing for the coming season.
“When you can walk down the hall as the head coach and talk with a couple of crusty, veteran coaches like Bill (Muir, offensive coordinator) and Mo (Carthon, assistant head coach) and you ask them how did the day go and they tell you great, then you know good things are happening,” Haley said. “They don’t just throw that word around. If it was a great day then it was a great day for the Kansas City Chiefs.”

Talking publicly for the first time about the hiring of Jim Zorn as the Chiefs quarterback coach, Haley left little doubt that his ability to fill the shoes of departed offensive coordinator Charlie Weis worked out in the best possible manner for the 2011 Chiefs. Muir picked up the offensive coordinator’s title and “has been rejuvenated” according to Haley. Zorn was added to work on the passing game, but to really concentrate his efforts on the continued development of starting quarterback Matt Cassel. ”First and foremost, he is one of the top quarterback coaches in the league in my opinion,” Haley said. “Through research and interviews, I really feel like he’s one of the best teachers of the quarterback and not just the fundamentals.

“He’s a true quarterback coach and those guys are not easy to find.”

From the end of the ’10 season with the loss in the playoffs to Baltimore, through the promotion of Muir and the hiring of Zorn, Haley was deep into research on possible assistant coaching additions and possibly different ways of mixing up the offensive staff and its duties. Haley loves to think outside the box, and he did plenty of that. He also spent a lot of time talking to Dan Henning, who retired after the ’10 season as offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins.

Haley was quick to point out that during his NFL career with the Patriots and Chiefs; Cassel has never had a “real” quarterback coach, i.e. a guy that played the position at the highest level of the game. “I know Charlie (Weis) wasn’t a quarterback, I wasn’t a quarterback, Josh (McDaniels) wasn’t a quarterback,” Haley said. “Now, he’ll be coached by someone who has been there, whether it’s in the huddle or in the pocket.

“I think its perfect timing for where Matt is at this point in his career.”

Zorn has a track record with the Seahawks, Redskins and Ravens of producing development in the second season for his quarterbacks, with guys like Jason Campbell, Charlie Hasselbeck and Joe Flacco.

“I know there are some things that he can do better,” Haley said of Cassel, who turned in his best season as an NFL quarterback, throwing for 3,189 yards, 27 touchdowns passes, seven interceptions and a passer rating of 93.0, the highest of his career. “I would prefer that Matt gets that help from an expert. I want Jim making those adjustments. With the time he spent playing the position, a decade in college coaching and then 12 or 13 years coaching in the NFL, he understands the position and where it fits in the game itself.”

Haley said having Weis in the offensive coordinator position for the 2010 season was the right move for the Chiefs. “Look at what we got done and there’s no question what we were able to do with Charlie and the offense improved,” Haley said. “I think we can now take it to another level with Matt making continued development and Jim Zorn helping him understand the position.”

There was no doubt that the moves he’s made in solidifying his coaching staff have also rejuvenated Haley. There’s only one piece of the puzzle left – who is going to call plays for the Chiefs offense when and if the NFL starts playing games?

“I know that’s what everyone wants to talk about and has the most attention, but it’s not been the No. 1 goal to get done for me in making these offensive adjustments,” said Haley. “We’ll get that figured out, but we’ll take our time and make sure we get it right. I remember one time when I was in Dallas (coaching for Bill Parcells) and it was the end of August and we still didn’t know who was going to call the plays.”

milkman
02-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Who's Charlie Hasselbeck?

milkman
02-25-2011, 10:04 AM
On the subject of Zorn and Cassel, this potential work stoppage could not have come at a worse time for the Chiefs, Cassel, and fans who have any hope that Cassel might continue to progress.

Pestilence
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Who's Charlie Hasselbeck?

Matt and Tim's retarded brother.

SNR
02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I was at that Westin hotel in Indianapolis for a conference once. It's very, very nice. Just kind of a shame that it's in downtown Indy where everything smells like stagnant sewage

Hoover
02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
So basically Zorn is going to probably be the guy who calls the playing into Matt and Muir is really just doing protections and formations. Which means Zorn is the true OC and replacement for Weis.

Overall i think this is great.

dirk digler
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
On the subject of Zorn and Cassel, this potential work stoppage could not have come at a worse time for the Chiefs, Cassel, and fans who have any hope that Cassel might continue to progress.

Are they prohibited from not working together offsite somewhere?

milkman
02-25-2011, 10:10 AM
So basically Zorn is going to probably be the guy who calls the playing into Matt and Muir is really just doing protections and formations. Which means Zorn is the true OC and replacement for Weis.

Overall i think this is great.

More than likely, Haley will be calling the plays.

It's going to be coordination by committee, with Haley building the blueprint.

milkman
02-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Are they prohibited from not working together offsite somewhere?

Yes.

Management and staff will not be allowed any contact with players.

Hoover
02-25-2011, 10:11 AM
More than likely, Haley will be calling the plays.

It's going to be coordination by committee, with Haley building the blueprint.

Agree with that. However I think Zorn is going to play a larger role than we think so Todd can keep his head in the entire game. I actually think this odd mix will work better than Weis/Haley.

dirk digler
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes.

Management and staff will not be allowed any contact with players.

You actually think that will happen?

milkman
02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
You actually think that will happen?

You may have heard that the owners called a meeting with the GMs and coaches at the combines (I think last night).

It was called to discusss this very issue.

mcaj22
02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
that's how good Weis was it's going to take three human minds coming together to replace him on the offensive side.

Chiefnj2
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
One of the best things a developing QB needs is stability. You can't keep changing OC's and systems and plays and terminology every year. Promoting Muir and bringing in an established QB coach seems like the smart move. Hopefully Haley can handle dual roles better than he did his first year.

dirk digler
02-25-2011, 10:27 AM
You may have heard that the owners called a meeting with the GMs and coaches at the combines (I think last night).

It was called to discusss this very issue.

No I hadn't heard that

milkman
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
No I hadn't heard that

I heard about it on Mike and Mike.

But here's a link to Adam Shefter talking about it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6149970

Coogs
02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
A while back, I did a little research on the Interceptions of some of the top QB's. Guys like Manning, Elway, Marino, Brees, and several more. And I know that you can interpret stats pretty much anyway you want to, but all of these QB's averaged right in the ballpark of 14 INT's per year. Averaged.

That alone suggests the Cassel is going to throw more INT's this season than 7. Possibly quite a few more than 7... regardless of who is the QB coach.

Hopefully he won't, but...

jd1020
02-25-2011, 10:48 AM
A while back, I did a little research on the Interceptions of some of the top QB's. Guys like Manning, Elway, Marino, Brees, and several more. And I know that you can interpret stats pretty much anyway you want to, but all of these QB's averaged right in the ballpark of 14 INT's per year. Averaged.

That alone suggests the Cassel is going to throw more INT's this season than 7. Possibly quite a few more than 7... regardless of who is the QB coach.

What's the diameter of that limb you are walking on? 8 feet?

milkman
02-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Your research should have been on game manager type QBs.

I'd bet that someone like Trent Dilfer averaged fewer than 14 ints.

jd1020
02-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Your research should have been on game manager type QBs.

I'd bet that someone like Trent Dilfer averaged fewer than 14 ints.

Trent Dilfer only played 4 complete season. He averaged 15.75 INT's.

If you compared games played to INT's, Dilfer averaged 15.9 INT's every 16 games.

KurtCobain
02-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Milkman listens to Mike and Mike? Shocking but awesome.

Okie_Apparition
02-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Zorn has been coaching for self-made new money in Seattle, Washington DC and Baltimore. It's old handed down oil money now buddy. Relax a little, they will not be jumping at the bit to replace you here. Haley won't be lurching over your shoulder, take a drink, calm down. Todd can't replace another coach this quick. Work on your golf game, Cassel can be your caddy. Ease in.

milkman
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Trent Dilfer only played 4 complete season. He averaged 15.75 INT's.

If you compared games played to INT's, Dilfer averaged 15.9 INT's every 16 games.

Okay, how about guys like Kerry Collins, Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Chris Chandler.

Just looked it up myself, and they all average at or near an int per game.

milkman
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Milkman listens to Mike and Mike? Shocking but awesome.

Living where I live, I have two choices for Sports talk radio, the local ESPN affiliate, or the San Diego station whose signal carries all the way up here.

I haven't listened to the San Diego station in some time, cause I wanted more than SD sports talk.

That just leaves ESPN.

Coogs
02-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Okay, how about guys like Kerry Collins, Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Chris Chandler.

Just looked it up myself, and they all average at or near an int per game.

Kind of hard not to expect a spike in the total INT's next season isn't it?