PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Ordinary Compasses Thrown Off by Changes in Earth's Magnetic Field

rrl308
02-25-2011, 11:11 PM
By Loren Grush
Published February 25, 2011 FoxNews.com

The Earth's magnetic field is changing at an increasing rate, throwing off airports and altering the aurora borealis -- and its effect on ordinary compasses could mean the difference between homeward bound and hopelessly lost.

Earthís northernmost magnetic point -- or magnetic north -- is distinct from its geographic North Pole, and scientists have long known that the magnetic poles are on the move.

But the magnetic poles have been moving faster lately, sliding towards Siberia at 34 miles per year at a speed that's accelerated 36 percent over the last 10 years, according to the United States Geological Survey, or USGS.

Since compasses rely on magnetic north to point you in the right way up the trail, the average $2-dollar model could very well point you in the wrong direction. Depending on location and journey length, unaware hikers or boaters could find themselves hundreds of miles off course if they donít calibrate for the shift, experts said.

Rest of Article: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/25/ordinary-compasses-thrown-changes-earths-magnetic-field/?test=faces

tiptap
02-26-2011, 08:40 AM
The GPS system doesn't need magnetic references. However a true Magnetic Reversal, which is recorded in Ocean Seabeds to happen around every 200,000 years, would greatly weaken the electromagnetic shield that protects earth from being directly hit by charged particles from the Sun. Those charged particles wreck havoc on satellites so there would be a due diligence to keep redundant systems active.

jjjayb
02-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Frigging global warming!

tiptap
02-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Other than the slight, very slight increase in energy reaching the atmosphere and ground from charged particles during a discharge from the sun, it has nothing related to Global Warming. But I shouldn't be surprised at your ignorance.

Baby Lee
02-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Other than the slight, very slight increase in energy reaching the atmosphere and ground from charged particles during a discharge from the sun, it has nothing related to Global Warming. But I shouldn't be surprised at your ignorance.

That was pretty clearly snark about every effing thing that happens on earth being a result of global warming, not a literal gripe.

He could just as easily have posted it in an Oscar preview thread, or a 'who do we target in FA' thread.

mikey23545
02-27-2011, 08:10 AM
It's Bush's fault.

chiefsnorth
02-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Frigging global warming!

It's now called "climate change", ahole!

RJ
02-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Fucking Obama.

HonestChieffan
02-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Somedays It seems we are all sliding toward Siberia.

Ebolapox
02-27-2011, 09:44 AM
OMG 2012 DAMMIT NOSTRADAMAS!

jjjayb
02-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Are you really that stupid?

ClevelandBronco
02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks. I've been looking for something to blame for the problems I've been having with my moral compass.

tiptap
02-28-2011, 07:31 AM
That was pretty clearly snark about every effing thing that happens on earth being a result of global warming, not a literal gripe.

He could just as easily have posted it in an Oscar preview thread, or a 'who do we target in FA' thread.

Sure just let the imbecility pass without comment. If only we could get that from you sometimes. He didn't post it in the Oscar thread, he posted it after my comment. You don't think that was intentional or considered?

tiptap
02-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Are you really that stupid?

Its the sun stupid. The increase in Solar Flux. No you are the dense one.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Sure just let the imbecility pass without comment. If only we could get that from you sometimes.

It didn't pass without comment. In fact, several people responded to your imbecility with the ridicule it deserved.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Why is this in DC?

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Other than the slight, very slight increase in energy reaching the atmosphere and ground from charged particles during a discharge from the sun, it has nothing related to Global Warming. But I shouldn't be surprised at your ignorance.ROFL

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 08:00 AM
LMAO @tiptap's inability to detect blatant sarcasm

tiptap
02-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Hey I play the straight man most of the time on this wing of comments.