PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Haley may have found what works for him on offense

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Haley may have found what works for him on offense (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/25/2683019/haley-may-have-found-what-works.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

INDIANAPOLIS | Todd Haley served as his own offensive coordinator his first season with the Chiefs but thought the task took away from his main job as head coach.

He went out and hired a veteran coordinator in Charlie Weis to do the job last year but felt some disconnect having an assistant call most of the plays.

With Weis departure, Haley had the chance this year to go one way or the other, but with neither feeling right, he split the difference. Line coach Bill Muir was given the additional job of coordinating the offense, but Haley is likely to wind up calling most if not all of the plays.

Haley may have stumbled on his perfect world, or at least whats right for him.

I dont know there was anything wrong with (serving as coordinator again), he said at the NFLs scouting combine. I just think this was the better way to go from a strictly positive standpoint. Im going to have involvement in the offense, the defense and the special teams. Thats what I think a good head coach does. My area of expertise has been offense. Ill contribute and continue to contribute in that area.

(Muir) is well-versed in the job, knows how to the job, will do a great job at it and allow me at the same time to contribute where I need to there and other areas of the team, which I think will allow me to be the most efficient head coach.

Haley again declined to say who would call the plays. But Muirs history provides a strong clue. He spent seven seasons as the line coach and coordinator for Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay, but Gruden called the plays.

In addition, the only two other line coaches currently serving as NFL offensive coordinators work for an offensive-minded head coach like Haley. Neither calls the plays.

Its difficult to picture Haley handing the duties to a rookie play-caller given where the Chiefs are in their development. Muir, 68, is about as veteran a coach as the NFL has. Hes coached for 37 years, 33 in the NFL.

But hes never been a regular play-caller.

Haley has called plays before. On his staff, running-backs coach Maurice Carthon has been an offensive coordinator for three different NFL teams. Quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn called plays for part of his time as Washingtons head coach, but owner Dan Snyder took those duties away after a 2009 loss to the Chiefs.

Play-calling is an art, Haley said. Its instinctual. There are guys that are good at it and guys that arent so good at it. Thats why Ive said this hasnt been at the top of the list of importance right now for me who is actually going to call the plays. Ive got a bunch of guys on staff, including myself, that have called plays successfully in the NFL, and well get it right.

Those comments might indicate Haley is taking the issue lightly, but hes not. He believed so strongly the offense was headed in the wrong direction that he fired his original coordinator, Chan Gailey, during the preseason.

That first year, there was just so much work to do, Haley said. So much was new to everybody. We were installing a new system, new terminology, a new way of thinking, a new way of doing things across the board. We had new coaches, some of them holdovers, some of them coming from other places, some that you know and some that you dont. Its a process, and it takes time. It was a big job. Whoever was going to coordinate the offense that first year, it was going to be a bear no matter how you cut it. Id just rather it have been me than somebody else.

In year one, youre comparing apples to oranges to where we are now as a team and as a staff. Weve had two full years to lay our foundation (and) the system now is in place. Weve developed as a team and as a staff.

keg in kc
02-26-2011, 01:32 AM
I don't have any problem with it at all as long as he has an OC to manage the day-to-day operations and a QB coach to work with Cassel.

(not that he or anybody else would care whether or not I cared)

Chief3188
02-26-2011, 01:45 AM
I like that Haley is willing to expirament with different situations rather than just being a hardliner and thinking this way or the highway. He is willing to find out what works and what doesn't and we need someone who can change with the times.

So far I think he has done a great job as our HC but it is still to early too tell if he is going to continue to improve this team and continue to make more right decisions than wrong ones.

okiedokieokoye
02-26-2011, 02:44 AM
I don't have any problem with it at all as long as he has an OC to manage the day-to-day operations and a QB coach to work with Cassel.

Muir. Zorn.

BigRock
02-26-2011, 02:57 AM
It's more noticable in the free agent article, but Teicher's use of qualifiers is becoming downright Athan-like. They probably want to do this. They may have done that. They're likely to do this. They might do that.

Even the title of this article has a qualifier. They're taking over.

philfree
02-26-2011, 03:02 AM
It's obvious to me that Haley needs to call the plays. He's got his ducks in a row at this point and it's his team.

PhilFree:arrow:

DTLB58
02-26-2011, 04:43 AM

Agree, as long as he is successful at it I don't give a flying duck who calls the plays. Just get it right. :thumb: