PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Politico

joesomebody
02-26-2011, 04:10 AM
What is the general opinion of this board about Politico? I'd like to hear about the thoughts on their political leanings, quality of the writing, etc. If you all have time, please let me know.

I am by no means a political junkie. I enjoy reading over here in the Holy land every now and then, but I rarely post and I usually am only posting my opinion, which is very uninformed.

I consider myself to be quite moderate. My favorite politician is a staunch republican (he is a state senator here in Missouri, and I would LOVE to see this guy make it to the national level). I tend to vote republican more often in state elections than at the national level. I definitely vote for the candidate and not the party.

Anyway, if you have time, let me know what you guys think of Politico.

Otter
02-26-2011, 06:04 AM
As a pre-teen I admit with somewhat reluctance that I was a WWF (back when it was pro wrestling fan) fan. I enjoyed the rivalies and seeing the 'good' win and watching the 'bad' lose.

Then the day came when I finally got to see a pro wrestling match in person. Ironiclly for this story it was a tag team match between between The Iron Shiek and his partner vs. Tony Garie and Rick Martel. I forget the outcome of the match but because of friend my Dad knew I was allowed to go back stage and ask for autographs.

Updon arriving back stage, taking a double take watching these people who were standing in blue jeans and t-shirts talking to one another smiling, laughing and talking like Bob from accountin and Bill from IT I realized it was a show and they were all in the same business of making money, keeping the WWF going as well as their livlyhood. They were all on the same side just putting on a show for the people stupid enough to pay to see them.

Don't think I ever watched a match again. This is what policitcs has become for me but with much higher consequences.

A little off-topic but seems to fit.

joesomebody
02-26-2011, 06:19 AM
Thank you Otter. I don't think it was at all off topic. I got off topic in the OP. It really was meant as an opinion on Politco. I unfortunately turned it into a statement on my own feelings about my own political beliefs.

If anyone has time though, I'd appreciate an honest opinion on Politico.

Baby Lee
02-26-2011, 06:47 AM
I don't so much think it has it's own ideology as it has a reaction to establishment liberalism.

Norman Einstein
02-26-2011, 07:01 AM
You seem to have missed the Gaz option and the "Who really cares" option.

joesomebody
02-26-2011, 07:58 AM
You seem to have missed the Gaz option and the "Who really cares" option.I care. And the Gaz option only applies in the lounge.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean that rude. I was honestly curious about the opinion of this portion of the board. If you don't care about the question, don't answer. And as for Gaz option, I really only attribute that to the lounge.

It's no big deal, I was just curious of the general opinion of politico. Feel free to answer if you feel like it, feel free not to if you don't.

alnorth
02-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I think Politico makes an honest effort to be even-handed. Not a half-ass effort like you often see on TV, but a pretty good effort. Occasionally it doesn't work and the writer's slight liberal bias peeks through, but at least they try.

Saul Good
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I think Politico makes an honest effort to be even-handed. Not a half-ass effort like you often see on TV, but a pretty good effort. Occasionally it doesn't work and the writer's slight liberal bias peeks through, but at least they try.

I agree with this. It's a little more liberal than conservative, but I enjoy the takes.

ClevelandBronco
02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
If you don't care about the question, don't answer.

chiefsnorth
02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
About as liberal as other more mainstream media outlets.

Direckshun
02-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Politico, far more often than not, is blatantly speculative and too often plays to the lowest common denominator.

I do not consider them a useful source of information.

alnorth
02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Politico, far more often than not, is blatantly speculative and too often plays to the lowest common denominator.

I do not consider them a useful source of information.

You missed the point.

Politico does not try to be a traditional source of hallowed journalism like cnn or fox or whatever where news stories need to be verified by 2 or 3 sources, and even then are often not used until theres an official statement. (by which time you wonder what good are they, since they were scooped by drudge 8 hours ago)

They take credible rumors, which may or may not be correct, then run and speculate on them, while trying to be even-handed and not partisan about it.

The question was whether they were biased, not whether they should be relied upon by a gray-haired network news anchors.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-27-2011, 12:13 AM
They have less presstitutes per capita than the lamestream media outlets.

Direckshun
02-28-2011, 12:12 AM
You missed the point.

Politico does not try to be a traditional source of hallowed journalism like cnn or fox or whatever where news stories need to be verified by 2 or 3 sources, and even then are often not used until theres an official statement. (by which time you wonder what good are they, since they were scooped by drudge 8 hours ago)

They take credible rumors, which may or may not be correct, then run and speculate on them, while trying to be even-handed and not partisan about it.

The question was whether they were biased, not whether they should be relied upon by a gray-haired network news anchors.

The question was "what do I think of Politico." "Bias" is one component of many.

I think Politico is the distillation of the overwhelming majority of major media outlets: rather than leaning to the left or the right, they lean to the lazy. They sculpt their headlines, churn the rumors, and funnel retarded theories based on speculation, all with the intent of playing to the lowest common denominator among us.

They're not quite the Jerry Springer of major media outlets. But I'd say they're the Montel.

patteeu
02-28-2011, 01:12 AM
They drew their top tier of talent from the liberal Washington Post and the liberal Time magazine, so I'd say they lean liberal just like most of the rest of the mainstream media. Baby Lee might be on to something when he says that they're a reaction to the liberal establishment, but I don't think they are a conservative reaction so much as a new media reaction.

patteeu
02-28-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm puzzled by all the "somewhat conservative" votes. I'd be interested to hear what the thinking is.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm puzzled by all the "somewhat conservative" votes. I'd be interested to hear what the thinking is.

I voted moderate since Neocons and blind Liberals hate them i must be on to something.

patteeu
02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I voted moderate since Neocons and blind Liberals hate them i must be on to something.

I don't have a problem with "moderate" since it pretty much means the same thing as "leans left".

Direckshun
02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't have a problem with "moderate" since it pretty much means the same thing as "leans left".

To hear you tell it, basically everything to the left of you is "leans left."

You're the conservative Taco John. Everything oriented to your left is A Waterslide To Communism. :p

go bowe
02-28-2011, 03:00 PM

You're the conservative Taco John. Everything oriented to your left is A Waterslide To Communism. :pwaterslide to communism?

wow, that's a neat turn of phrase...

but you must be thinking of sportshrink...

patteeu
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM

You're the conservative Taco John. Everything oriented to your left is A Waterslide To Communism. :p

No one is for keeping things exactly as they are today. People either want more government or they want less, and my experience tells me that people who call themselves moderate usually want just a little teeny bit more government here and there as opposed to a whole lot more everywhere. They want government to take action, they just don't want government to take radical action.