PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Where are the calls for a "windfall profits" tax?

petegz28
02-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Oil on the big rise......I hear crickets from the Left now.

Warrior5
02-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Oil on the big rise......I hear crickets from the Left now.

Excellent point; I had forgotten about that.

alnorth
02-26-2011, 07:36 PM
jeez pete, quiet down, you'll give them ideas!

Seriously though, people don't care about the price of oil so much as the price of gas and quarterly statements from the oil companies. If gas is $4.50 and Exxon announces they made 50 billion, people will start bitching again.

Direckshun
02-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I seriously doubt liberals are opposed to windfall profit taxes on massive oil companies, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

chiefsnorth
02-26-2011, 10:51 PM
It's a tacit admission that massive tax increases drive the economy down. They know that if they raised the price of gas even further it would be bad for the economy (thus bad for their grip on power) so they cool it until calmer times. But it just exposes that they don't even believe their own bullshit about redistribution of wealth being good for the economy overall.

tiptap
02-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Like anything in economics timing and changes related to where you are in economic cycles makes a difference. That is opposed to thinking that ever lower taxes is always correct.

Donger
02-27-2011, 09:39 AM
I seriously doubt liberals are opposed to windfall profit taxes on massive oil companies, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

You don't see the difference between not opposing it during a Democrat POTUS' term and actively calling for it during a Republican POTUS "oil man's" term?

Direckshun
02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
You don't see the difference between not opposing it during a Democrat POTUS' term and actively calling for it during a Republican POTUS "oil man's" term?

Wait, are we talking about liberals or are we talking about Democrats?

Because I'm not going to defend a political party being two-faced.

HonestChieffan
02-27-2011, 09:15 PM

I agree. Those Conservative Dems and ultra left Repubs deserve our respect.

Liberals on the other hand.....

Donger
02-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Whomever was screaming about a windfall profit tax on oil companies when oil spiked in 2008.

Direckshun
02-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Whomever was screaming about a windfall profit tax on oil companies when oil spiked in 2008.

Oh, I don't know. I don't hear conservatives screaming about privatizing social security right now.

I think it's unreasonable to expect someone to "scream" about every single thing they believe in at all times. We're all largely screaming about different things now than we were in 2008...

I'm willing to bet if you polled windfall profit taxes on oil companies, liberals will overwhelmingly support it. No clue about Democrats, because you never know.