PDA

View Full Version : Life Off season, time to present this for your assessment:

Frankie
02-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I painted this about twenty some years ago. I called this "In the Realm of the Deev." 'Deev' is a devilish giant in Persian mythology. It's done in acrylic and is about 2'x3'. I did this in the hopes of breaking into the illustration business. Long story short, I am planning to use some of my retirement time to go back to this kind of stuff. What do you think? Should I do more or should I not bother? I like your honest reaction and feedback.

BTW, I have to note that all of this comes from my own many sketches and I have used no models.

Critiques?

KCUnited
02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
In all seriousness, you may have a future in Tradition/Power/Heavy Metal album cover artwork.

I could see something like this in my master suite.

Lonewolf Ed
02-27-2011, 01:50 PM
The colors and detail remind me a lot of Boris Vallejo's work, and he is one of the best in the sci-fi/fantasy genre. Very well done and yes, by all means, keep doing it!

Baby Lee
02-27-2011, 01:55 PM
A good deal of technical proficiency there, your 'chops' don't look to be any problem.

What you'd be battling much more is a generation of geeks who've been building off that style, and coming up with new styles. I mean, for perspective's sake, there's probably at least one someone in every major metropolitan area who has put in the time to be able to reproduce that very drawing WITH A TATTOO PEN. Unless you luck into finding someone who needs those precise types of illustrations, I'd suggest spending as much time finding your own updated 2011 style as you do regaining your chops.

Reaper16
02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
In all seriousness, you may have a future in Tradition/Power/Heavy Metal album cover artwork.

This.

mlyonsd
02-27-2011, 02:07 PM
That's awesome Frankie. How long did that take you?

Bugeater
02-27-2011, 02:17 PM
That looks pretty damn good to me.

bevischief
02-27-2011, 02:27 PM

I could see something like this in my master suite.

Why haven't you followed this up?

Rasputin
02-27-2011, 02:43 PM
That's pretty damn good, you should do more.

Shogun
02-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Thats really cool, I agree on the death metal album cover haha

Rate my prediction art for when we get a new QB next offseason!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2eoxstk.jpg

Lbedrock1
02-27-2011, 03:03 PM
I painted this about twenty some years ago. I called this "In the Realm of the Deev." 'Deev' is a devilish giant in Persian mythology. It's done in acrylic and is about 2'x3'. I did this in the hopes of breaking into the illustration business. Long story short, I am planning to use some of my retirement time to go back to this kind of stuff. What do you think? Should I do more or should I not bother? I like your honest reaction and feedback.

BTW, I have to note that all of this comes from my own many sketches and I have used no models.

Critiques?

I think you should not bother only because you didn't make me the hero in the painting, but other than that it is awesome.

Bowser
02-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Great work. Looks like the cover of a fantasy/sci-fi paperback.

Rain Man
02-27-2011, 03:15 PM
It looks great to me, but the only way to know for sure is to see the woman from the front.

Bewbies
02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
You've got some talent there. Ever check out elance or sites like that to sell your services?

KCUnited
02-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. That shit would get you skull fucked and butchered in the death metal game, that's leather loin cloth, high pitch vocal stuff right there. Big difference. Like R&B/Gangsta Rap different.

Fumblerooski
02-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Critiques?

Personally, I think it's damn good.. I say paint away sir.

FAX
02-27-2011, 04:45 PM
It's great, Mr. Frankie. You have an obvious talent that should not go to waste. I hope to never encounter a Deev unless I have had several tequila shots in advance.

Allow me to suggest, however, that your female forms should remain uncovered.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts
02-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I think that's pretty awesome.

Frankie
02-27-2011, 06:17 PM
That's awesome Frankie. How long did that take you?

It took me longer than it will take the next one. The factors delaying it were:

1- I had no previous experience.

2- Small house. I had no place to set up an easel and proper lighting. I would come home from work, eat supper and set up my painting equipment on the floor and work under regular house lighting. It took more time to set up and pick up afterwards than I had to actually paint. The next morning I would look at it in the sun and realize what looked right under tungsten lighting didn't look good in the true white light!

3- My ex-wife's constant bitching about this activity.

I think it took me 3 weeks to a month under those circumstances.

Hammock Parties
02-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Frank Frazetta esque

Frankie
02-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Why haven't you followed this up?

Life and the pursuit of a predictable salary. Divorce, custody battles, etc. etc.

I have 3 sketch books full of this kind of stuff. Maybe I'll compose another painting from them.

Frankie
02-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Great work. Looks like the cover of a fantasy/sci-fi paperback.

That's the biz I wanted to try.

Frankie
02-27-2011, 06:23 PM
It looks great to me, but the only way to know for sure is to see the woman from the front.

You have to enter my imagination. Otherwise, and sadly, no one modeled for me.

Frankie
02-27-2011, 06:24 PM
You've got some talent there. Ever check out elance or sites like that to sell your services?

I have to do one or two more to get to the level of self confidence to offer reliable services.

Frankie
02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
The colors and detail remind me a lot of Boris Vallejo's work, and he is one of the best in the sci-fi/fantasy genre. Very well done and yes, by all means, keep doing it!

Frank Frazetta esque

:)

I have a story to tell about this:

Frazetta and Vallejo are arguably the Gods of this genre. They are followed very closely by a few masters that include Richard Corben.

When I finished this painting I took it outside and took the photo that you see. I researched many "publishing companies" and sent copies around to them. All but one were in NY and pretty much answered that I would need an agent and at least 10 or 12 more paintings for them to even consider me.

From the one in Kansas City, I received a personal letter thanking me for it but telling me that 'he' does his own publishing. Signed Richard Corben! I was honored enough to have received a letter from RC let alone his encouraging words about my work. He said it reminded him a lot of Vallejo's work in style, and of Frazetta's in that Frazetta also never used live models. As rejection letters go this is one to be framed.

I actually looked him up and called him and drove to KC to visit him. He was very hospitable and helpful.

Unfortunately stuff happened shortly after that in my life that derailed those kinds of ambitions at the time.

Dave Lane
02-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Not bad, not quite Frank Frazetta but pretty damn nice.

Dave Lane
02-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I had a kick ass painting from Corben that was the cover for "Pilgor and the Boontha's" that I got fabulous coin out of after keeping it 30 years.

:)

I have a story to tell about this:

Frazetta and Vallejo are arguably the Gods of this genre. They are followed very closely by a few masters that include Richard Corben.

When I finished this painting I took it outside and took the photo that you see. I researched many "publishing companies" and sent copies around to them. All but one were in NY and pretty much answered that I would need an agent and at least 10 or 12 more paintings for them to even consider me.

From the one in Kansas City, I received a personal letter thanking me for it but telling me that 'he' does his own publishing. Signed Richard Corben! I was honored enough to have received a letter from RC let alone his encouraging words about my work. He said it reminded him a lot of Vallejo's work in style, and of Frazetta's in that Frazetta also never used live models. As rejection letters go this is one to be framed.

I actually looked him up and called him and drove to KC to visit him. He was very hospitable and helpful.

Unfortunately stuff happened shortly after that in my life that derailed those kinds of ambitions at the time.

Dave Lane
02-27-2011, 06:49 PM
This is the painting I had for years in my office.

Gonzo
02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
I have one suggestion.

Repaint the dude in the picture to look like Morgan Freeman. Other than that, it's awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frankie
02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I have one suggestion.

Repaint the dude in the picture to look like Morgan Freeman. Other than that, it's awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

:LOL:

Good idea but sorry dude. His face is an embellished one of my own. Artist's privilege. I guess I did have a model, come to think of it!

Frankie
02-27-2011, 06:57 PM
I had a kick ass painting from Corben that was the cover for "Pilgor and the Boontha's" that I got fabulous coin out of after keeping it 30 years.

Original?

Dave Lane
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Original?

Yep

Hammock Parties
02-28-2011, 12:35 AM
These are awesome, dude.

You should paint up Hunt, Pioli, Haley, Cassel, Bowe and Charles in frazetta fantasy style. It would be epic. Scantily clad Chiefs cheerleaders gripping their muscular thighs as they fend off demon-possessed horses, pirate skeletons and lightning bolts.

Buck
02-28-2011, 12:43 AM

Aries Walker
02-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I like it also. It is very Vallejo-like in tone (although Boris and Julie like to have their characters more oiled up and glistening). I like the contrast of the greens and blues for the demon, against the reds and yellows of the heroes. I think the demon is the strong point of the painting. I also like how well you handled the body parts that give a lot of artists fits, like the hands and the feet. If I had any criticism about it, I'd say his sword looks bent, and she's wearing an anachronistic 20th-century thong. Otherwise, I say well done, sir.