PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Ryan Mallett gets rave reviews for Combine effort

T-post Tom
02-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Kind of slow, so here's an actual football post for The Lounge...

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 27, 2011, 1:14 PM EST
Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett bounced back from a rough Saturday afternoon by doing what he does best: Spinning the football.

Mallett received uniformly rave reviews for his throwing performance on Sunday. PFT talked to Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFYDraft.com, who called the performance the best quarterback effort at the Combine of the last ten years.

(The bad news: Joey Harrington was the last effort Pauline recalls that was this good.)

Pauline said Mallett’s accuracy was “pinpoint.” He always led his receivers with perfect timing. No one doubted Mallett’s arm strength or ability to throw well in shorts, but he may have exceeded expectations.

Rob Rang of CBSSports.com agreed with Pauline’s assessment, saying Mallett was the “unquestioned star” of the first group of quarterbacks. (Cam Newton is in the next group.)

Mallett’s draft stock has been a hot topic here over the last 24 hours. Some teams reportedly don’t have Mallett on their draft board. Other scouts see him as a late second round pick.

As we’ve learned over the years, you only need one team to fall in love with your potential. Mallett’s performance on Sunday should only help.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/27/ryan-mallett-gets-rave-reviews-for-combine-effort/

Chiefspants
02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
After his interview on the previous day, I would imagine that Pioli wants no part of Cutler v2.

Dante84
02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
If only there was a huge thread on him in the draft forum.... :)

kstater
02-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Of course he looked good. There weren't any defenders on the field.

notorious
02-27-2011, 06:40 PM

This.

I want no part of that imminent implosion.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I think the idea of removing a guy from a draft board is completely retarded. That said, I could understand why some teams would do it with this guy.

tk13
02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
I think the idea of removing a guy from a draft board is completely retarded. That said, I could understand why some teams would do it with this guy.

I don't know why you would say that. Aside from his attitude issues, drug problem, and penchant for throwing bonehead INTs, what's not to like?

Mr. Laz
02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
yep, his habit of throwing the ball up for grabs when under pressure won't show at the combine.

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I still think he's gonna be very good.

Chief3188
02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
After his interview on the previous day, I would imagine that Pioli wants no part of Cutler v2.

What did he say in his interview and what are his attitude and drug problems others are referring too?

I don't follow too much college FB as I came from a basketball school but I thought this guy had some talent so I am interested to hear what is wrong with this kid.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2011, 07:27 PM
I still think he's gonna be very good.he might be but how in the world can you tell right now?

will he learn to not throw shit into traffic?

will he be so good that you can live with the occassional brain malfunchtion ala Favre?

will he continue to make the big mistake ala Rex Grossman?

these don't even mention his long throwing motion btw

risky

Frankie
02-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Just wondering how Ryan Leaf performed at the combine.

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
he might be but how in the world can you tell right now?

will he learn to not throw shit into traffic?

will he be so good that you can live with the occassional brain malfunchtion ala Favre?

will he continue to make the big mistake ala Rex Grossman?

these don't even mention his long throwing motion btw

riskyNone of this means he's gonna be shitty, either, which some of you seem convinced he'll be.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
None of this means he's gonna be shitty, either, which some of you seem convinced he'll be.
i didn't say he would or wouldn't, i just wonder whether a player with such questions can be taken in the 1st round.

KC native
02-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I like the kid but the big question is whether he has it upstairs. I wouldn't be upset if the Chiefs drafted him because I think if he can learn the game better and keep his cool then he's going to be great. He is a big gamble IMO though and I think he'd do best in a situation where he sits on the bench behind a veteran for a few years.

baitism
02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
We already have two QBs that choke under pressure....

KurtCobain
02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Zorn could take care of Mallet.

Renegade
02-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Ryan Leaf v 3.0 No thanks

BWillie
02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Well ya, everybody already knew he had the physical tools. Gotta stop throwing to the wrong dude though.

Ugly Duck
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah, but can he throw the ball 60 yards from his knees?

keg in kc
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
What I want to know is if he spelled his name right on the wonderlic.

King_Chief_Fan
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Just wondering how Ryan Leaf performed at the combine.

From the Si vault:
In 1998, the Washington State standout reportedly showed up at the combine overweight and then blew off his meeting with the Colts, who were interested in taking him No. 1 overall. Indy chose Peyton Manning and Leaf went No. 2 overall to the Chargers. Leaf is considered one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1152308/17/21/index.htm#ixzz1FIPONXv7

Renegade
02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
From the Si vault:
In 1998, the Washington State standout reportedly showed up at the combine overweight and then blew off his meeting with the Colts, who were interested in taking him No. 1 overall. Indy chose Peyton Manning and Leaf went No. 2 overall to the Chargers. Leaf is considered one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1152308/17/21/index.htm#ixzz1FIPONXv7

I am so happy Manning didn't go to San Diego. I can't imagine facing him twice a year

BigCatDaddy
02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
I am so happy Manning didn't go to San Diego. I can't imagine facing him twice a year

It's not much better now.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
DT would of made Manning his bitch and ruined his confidence.

Then Manning would of been a bust and Leaf would of been the star.