PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Screened in porches/decks

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Anybody have one of these or ever built one? I'm thinking about having this done, but I don't really know what to expect in terms of pricing, quality, etc. Something along the lines of this photo is what I was thinking (screened in area only, not the rest of the deck, stairs, etc.). Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone is in the Johnson County area who builds these and needs some business, let me know.

Phobia
02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Just make sure your contractor is very comfortable tieing into your house. There's so much that can go wrong there, it's so critical to get it right the first time.

What kind of siding do you have?

We do them. I can probably save you some money. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want but even if you choose somebody else, that place where it ties into the house is so tricky.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Just make sure your contractor is very comfortable tieing into your house. There's so much that can go wrong there, it's so critical to get it right the first time.

We do them. I can probably save you some money. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want but even if you choose somebody else, that place where it ties into the house is so tricky.

That's the rub. My house is actually steel-reinforced concrete all the way around with a stucco finish. I have a tile deck with stucco archways below and wrought iron railings. I would like something that doesn't look completely out of place if possible.

mlyonsd
02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't know where you're located and what the climate is but if you can build it at ground level I think it would be awesome.

Where I live and the way my house sits I'd have to build mine about 3 feet off the ground and in the middle of winter it wouldn't be possible to heat it properly.

The people I know that have them love them and I am envious.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm in the KC area. We have a nice ground level stampcrete patio underneath. I extended the patio with huge flagstones and a fire pit last year. I got a big outdoor butane heater like you see at bars this winter.

I would consider screening in the area under my deck, but I'm worried that it wouldn't look right, as I have stucco arches underneath my deck. Also, I wouldn't want something that would cut off the patio from the rest of my yard. If I could do something that was retractable for down there, that would really be cool, as I have an outdoor television, and I like to play Rock Band outside when I have friends over. I don't think that a retractable screed would be feasible, though so I'm focusing on the deck.

Donger
02-27-2011, 05:14 PM
See? This is how one does it. NOT in one's garage.

stevieray
02-27-2011, 05:16 PM

the horror.

the horror of it all.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 05:19 PM
My deck is 10' by 12', BTW. It's only accessible through the house. There are no stairs.

3rd&48ers
02-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Anybody have one of these or ever built one? I'm thinking about having this done, but I don't really know what to expect in terms of pricing, quality, etc. Something along the lines of this photo is what I was thinking (screened in area only, not the rest of the deck, stairs, etc.). Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone is in the Johnson County area who builds these and needs some business, let me know.

What you are wanting is a front porch on the back of your house... right?

mlyonsd
02-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm in the KC area. We have a nice ground level stampcrete patio underneath. I extended the patio with huge flagstones and a fire pit last year. I got a big outdoor butane heater like you see at bars this winter.

I would consider screening in the area under my deck, but I'm worried that it wouldn't look right, as I have stucco arches underneath my deck. Also, I wouldn't want something that would cut off the patio from the rest of my yard. If I could do something that was retractable for down there, that would really be cool, as I have an outdoor television, and I like to play Rock Band outside when I have friends over. I don't think that a retractable screed would be feasible, though so I'm focusing on the deck.

I think you're far enough south you wouldn't need to worry about what I was thinking of which was intense cold air below making it unheatable or uncomforable in the winter.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I think you're far enough south you wouldn't need to worry about what I was thinking of which was intense cold air below making it unheatable or uncomforable in the winter.

I don't expect it to be usable during the winter either way. I'm not looking for a sun room, just something with a little shade that will keep the bugs away. If it provides a little privacy, even better.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 05:55 PM
What you are wanting is a front porch on the back of your house... right?

Essentially, yes. I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's pretty accurate. I've always wanted to put in a hot tub next to my mailbox, so this would be in keeping with the theme.

Baconeater
02-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes, because god forbid you see your neighbors, you may actually talk to them or (gasp) get to know them.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes, because god forbid you see your neighbors, you may actually talk to them or (gasp) get to know them.

Human interaction is so 2004.

Bwana
02-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Oh, horse shit. Both work just fine.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Does anyone have even a ballpark idea of what something like this would run? I went to the Home Show today, and I picked up a card that said $5,900 for a 12x12 screened enclosure. I don't know exactly what that consists of, but it's a start.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh, horse shit. Both work just fine.

Any word on where I can find a screen door for my garage? It's a double, so it would need to be 8' x 16'.

Bwana
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Any word on where I can find a screen door for my garage? It's a double, so it would need to be 8' x 16'.

I bet Phobia could knock one out for you in a day.

Hog Farmer
02-27-2011, 06:35 PM

You make such a big deal out of it so he will think you have more knowelge than most. All you have to do to tie it into the house is use glue, lots of glue. It's really simple.

Saul Good
02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
You make such a big deal out of it so he will think you have more knowelge than most. All you have to do to tie it into the house is use glue, lots of glue. It's really simple.

I'm glad you said this. I was thinking scotch tape, but I will now switch to glue.

Pushead2
02-27-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm glad you said this. I was thinking scotch tape, but I will now switch to glue.

Scotch tape huh.....:hmmm:

Donger
02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I'll have you chaps know that I played with my son in front of my house today. It was some kind of throwing game, like Jai alai. It was awesome.

Gadzooks
02-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Does anyone have even a ballpark idea of what something like this would run? I went to the Home Show today, and I picked up a card that said $5,900 for a 12x12 screened enclosure. I don't know exactly what that consists of, but it's a start.

$5,900 will get you some skeeter net and some staples where I'm from.

WV
02-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Some duct tape and this...stylish and no one will see you!

http://www.nexternal.com/armynavy/images/camo%20netting%20but%20the%20yard.jpg

Phobia
02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
That's the rub. My house is actually steel-reinforced concrete all the way around with a stucco finish. I have a tile deck with stucco archways below and wrought iron railings. I would like something that doesn't look completely out of place if possible.

Yeah - that is an expensive rub. I'd take a look at it trying to come up with some alternatives.

aturnis
02-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Scotch tape? I dunno. Double sided carpet tape maybe. Scotch you have to double over on itself in order for it to be double sided. WAY too much work.

aturnis
02-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah - that is an expensive rub. I'd take a look at it trying to come up with some alternatives.

He really needs to take a picture of his house to let us know what he's really dealing with. Sounds to me like he's already got a deck up there, so tying into it is only a problem with the roof am I right? Then making sure you trust your contractor enough to properly flash everything, or however you'd to it to stucco. Don't need no wata proooms!

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 06:13 AM
He really needs to take a picture of his house to let us know what he's really dealing with. Sounds to me like he's already got a deck up there, so tying into it is only a problem with the roof am I right? Then making sure you trust your contractor enough to properly flash everything, or however you'd to it to stucco. Don't need no wata proooms!

There is already a deck. I will try to post some pics tonight.

tooge
02-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Take Phobias advice and have him out for a look. He did a little add on (heh) for us and really, the tie in was the hardest part. Turned out great though.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Sleeping porches are awesome.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Take Phobias advice and have him out for a look. He did a little add on (heh) for us and really, the tie in was the hardest part. Turned out great though.

I will probably do just that. Gonna need more than you as a reference, though; need someone with more rep.

seclark
02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
I'll have you chaps know that I played with my son in front of my house today. It was some kind of throwing game, like Jai alai. It was awesome.

damn, donger. you're going to be spitting tobacco juice on the sidewalk and drinking your martinis out of a mason jar in no time.
keep it up.:thumb:
sec

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Here's a picture of my deck. (billay, you can stop reading here.)

Phobia
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Oh hell, I'll wrap that thing up with screen for that .12 gauge your daddy took off Old Man Hill, 3 rolls of skoal, and two sets of jack-stands so I can sit my Firebird on something while I'm using those tires on Sis's Citation.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Here's the deck from a few better angles.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
The rest of the pics showing the close-ups won't attach for some reason.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Oh hell, I'll wrap that thing up with screen for that .12 gauge your daddy took off Old Man Hill, 3 rolls of skoal, and two sets of jack-stands so I can sit my Firebird on something while I'm using those tires on Sis's Citation.

You never returned my call, BTW.

Phobia
02-28-2011, 04:59 PM
While it's certainly possible to cover your upper deck, if you're open to ideas for screening in the ground level that's going to be significantly cheaper.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm open to either.

Baconeater
02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
That's going to cost a pretty penny if you want it to look good. I'd follow that existing roofline straight out, and bring the existing columns up and arch the openings to match the bottom. $$$

Phobia
02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
You never returned my call, BTW.

Never knew you called. Lovely. Let me check my phone. Nope. Don't see anything from you. You sure you left a message? My VM gets transcribed to text and emailed to me.

Saul Good
I don't need it to match as long as it doesn't look stupidly out of place. Not looking for a sunroom type addition or anything.

Baconeater
Oh, and that's a nice freaking shack you have.

Phobia
02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
That's going to cost a pretty penny if you want it to look good. I'd follow that existing roofline straight out, and bring the existing columns up and arch the openings to match the bottom. $$$

Yeah - that's why I wanted to do the ground level. I mean, I'll take the man's money but if there's a cheaper option let's talk about that too.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Never knew you called. Lovely. Let me check my phone. Nope. Don't see anything from you. You sure you left a message? My VM gets transcribed to text and emailed to me.

I left you a message on your voicemail at 1:30. Sending you a text now.

Phobia
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't need it to match as long as it doesn't look stupidly out of place. Not looking for a sunroom type addition or anything.
Unless we spent a lot of money putting the top deck on right it would look ridiculous. You have that hip coming out right there and the architect designed the house symetrically so unless it's done right it will look awful. Your best plan is to do the ground level. It's going to cost 4-5x more to do the top.

Phobia
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
I left you a message on your voicemail at 1:30. Sending you a text now.

Rcvd text. Guess it's time to look into my vm. Thanks for the heads-up.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh, and that's a nice freaking shack you have.

Thanks. It's amazing what you can afford on $7.00 an hour in this market.

Phobia
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks. It's amazing what you can afford on $7.00 an hour in this market.

It looks like I'm just going to be hiring you to work on your own project. Welcome aboard.

Saul Good
02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
It looks like I'm just going to be hiring you to work on your own project. Welcome aboard.

No habla Ingles.