PDA

View Full Version : Football 1994 Chargers, not a lucky team to be on.


Al Bundy
02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/former-charger-shawn-lee-passes-at-44/
Our NBC colleague and good friend Rodney Harrison, a rookie member of the Chargers’ Super Bowl team of 1994, called to advise that his former teammate, Shawn Lee, died over the weekend at the age of 44.

NBC San Diego reports that the team has confirmed Lee’s passing.

Lee is at least the sixth member of the 1994 Chargers to die entirely too young. Defensive lineman Chris Mims passed in 2008 at age 38 due to an enlarged heart. Offensive lineman Curtis Whitley died in 2008 of a drug overdose. He was 39.

Linebacker Doug Miller was struck by lightning in 1998, at age 28. Running back Rodney Culver died in a 1996 plane crash. Linebacker David Griggs perished in a 1995 car accident. He was 28.

The cause of Lee’s death has not been disclosed.

We send our condolences to Lee’s family, friends, teammates, and coaches.

Deberg_1990
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
One of the strangest SB teams ever.....no franchise QB, and not many standout offensive players overall.

Weak year for the AFC....

KCinNY
02-28-2011, 05:46 PM
I liked that team.

I'll always remember when they stopped the Steelers on 4th and goal to advance to the Super Bowl. Chris Mims took out a "Terrible Towel" and waved it for the fans.

Buck
02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
The Chargers of today are probably better overall, but all of the other teams in the AFC are much better now.

But that was back when Junior Seau was reaching his prime. He was one of the best back then.

Al Bundy
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
This really is sad news, there were a lot of players on that Charger's team I really liked.

listopencil
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
This really is sad news, there were a lot of players on that Charger's team I really liked.


Yeah. Natrone Means popped into my head immediately. Run the ball, play strong Defense, decent QB. A lot to like.

KurtCobain
02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
I love how the Chargers are so harmless that we don't even poke fun when their players die.

Chiefs fans would get a kick out of 6 young Donky deaths.

Gadzooks
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
And those fuckin' Niners cheated the cap that year, (I think they lost a 3rd rounder for the offense and it was swept under the NFL carpet).

BTW - The Culver story is probably the worst of the bunch. From Wiki: "Rodney Culver, and his wife Karen, died on May 11, 1996, when ValuJet Flight 592 from Miami to Atlanta crashed into the Florida Everglades, killing all 110 people aboard. The couple left behind 2 children, Bree and Jada Culver."
Apparently, any survivors of the initial crash were most likely devoured by gaters.

RIP - Shawn Lee

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
And yet Romanowski lives on.

Deberg_1990
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah. Natrone Means popped into my head immediately. Run the ball, play strong Defense, decent QB. A lot to like.

Ironically, that teams was built very similiar to the Chiefs of the 90's....and made it to the Super Bowl. Strong D, Strong power run game, mediocre QB and WR's.....

Bobby Ross was an underrated coach.

Rain Man
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
And those ****in' Niners cheated the cap that year, (I think they lost a 3rd rounder for the offense and it was swept under the NFL carpet).

BTW - The Culver story is probably the worst of the bunch. From Wiki: "Rodney Culver, and his wife Karen, died on May 11, 1996, when ValuJet Flight 592 from Miami to Atlanta crashed into the Florida Everglades, killing all 110 people aboard. The couple left behind 2 children, Bree and Jada Culver."
Apparently, any survivors of the initial crash were most likely devoured by gaters.

RIP - Shawn Lee

That Culver crash was gruesome. That was the plane where some containers of oxygen in the cargo hold caught fire, so all the passengers were caught in the fire before the plane crashed. Into water. And then the gators ate them. I'm really surprised that the investigation didn't show that they all caught flesh-eating bacteria, too.

Chiefaholic
02-28-2011, 06:25 PM
I love how the Chargers are so harmless that we don't even poke fun when their players die.

Chiefs fans would get a kick out of 6 young Donky deaths.

Get a kick out of former players doing stupid ****...YES. Getting a kick out of a human being dying way too young... Get a clue.

Al Bundy
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
And those ****in' Niners cheated the cap that year, (I think they lost a 3rd rounder for the offense and it was swept under the NFL carpet).

BTW - The Culver story is probably the worst of the bunch. From Wiki: "Rodney Culver, and his wife Karen, died on May 11, 1996, when ValuJet Flight 592 from Miami to Atlanta crashed into the Florida Everglades, killing all 110 people aboard. The couple left behind 2 children, Bree and Jada Culver."
Apparently, any survivors of the initial crash were most likely devoured by gaters.

RIP - Shawn Lee

If you have ever been down on the Glades you know how awful that accident was. Those poor people didn't have a chance, even if they survived the initial impact, the terror of either drowning or being eaten by the Gator's. Hopefully those people were unconscious. It took forever to clean the site up.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
And yet Romanowski lives on.:LOL:

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 06:41 PM
What did one Gator say to the other?

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2011, 06:45 PM
... not bad food for a budget flight... :)

Gadzooks
02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
See?!? Everyone still skips the part where the Niners cheated in the '94 SB...

chefsos
02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
See?!? Everyone still skips the part where the Niners cheated in the '94 SB...I didn't skip it. I care.

SF is hereby penalized three touchdowns for that SB, making the score SD 26, SF....err, 28. Oh, jeez. Sorry. You guys really got pounded, huh?

KurtCobain
02-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Get a kick out of former players doing stupid ****...YES. Getting a kick out of a human being dying way too young... Get a clue.

Obviously you didn't read comments on here about darrent-williams a few years ago. A few were thrilled. And if Jon Elway died tomorrow, the rip thread for him would be HOC worthy with all the jokes.

Al Bundy
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Obviously you didn't read comments on here about darrent-williams a few years ago. A few were thrilled. And if Jon Elway died tomorrow, the rip thread for him would be HOC worthy with all the jokes.

Not me, none of these guys have ever done anything to me personally.

2bikemike
02-28-2011, 08:10 PM
The rest of the 94 Chargers are just sitting around wondering "Who's gonna be next?"

As much as I hate the Chargers. That was a pretty impressive team. I agree that Bobby Ross was very under rated. Stan Humphries was a pretty tough QB and I respected the beatings he took after that SB run. I will never forget how he looked those few times he got knocked senseless and the camera would show him laying there motionless with his eyes rolled back in his head. For his sake I was happy to see him hang it up.

That SB run also showed me just how much of a bandwagon town this is. Fans came out of the wood work that year only to crawl back into their holes when things went south.

Buehler445
02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Holy crap.

Al Bundy
03-12-2011, 08:10 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/28/former-chargers-dl-shawn-lee-dead-44/

Former Chargers DL Shawn Lee dead at 44

By Chris Jenkins, UNION-TRIBUNE

Originally published February 28, 2011 at 11:40 a.m., updated March 1, 2011 at 6 p.m.
Former Chargers defensive lineman Shawn Lee, shown in 1997, died on Saturday, Feb. 26. He was 44.

/ U-T file photo

Former Chargers defensive lineman Shawn Lee, shown in 1997, died on Saturday, Feb. 26. He was 44.

Happily and proudly, almost like twin brothers, the Chargers teammates wore the nickname “Two Tons of Fun.” Big as defensive tackles Shawn Lee and Reuben Davis were at 300-plus pounds apiece, too, they couldn’t simply go to the closest mall and expect to find clothing in their size.

“Shawn’s mom used to sew,” Davis recalled Monday. “She said, ‘You guys go see the styles being worn, see what you’d like to wear. Whatever kind of clothes you want, get some material and I’ll sew it for you.’ So we came back with some silk and … you remember MC Hammer?”

Oh, no.

Yes, but oh, no.

“Yeah, she sewed us some silk Hammer pants,” said Davis, laughing even as his voice cracked in anguish. “We were quite a sight, man, me and Shawn. Hey, we were in (training) camp. We were young.”

Lee was still young, only 44, when he died Saturday in Raleigh, N.C. The cause of death was cardiac arrest brought on by double pneumonia. It is known that Lee had been struggling with diabetes the last several years.

That Lee also played on the Chargers’ lone Super Bowl team, the AFC champions of 1994, only added to the ever-growing eeriness in the history of that roster. No fewer than a half-dozen players from that particular Chargers squad have died under myriad circumstances, including fellow defensive lineman Chris Mims, who weighed 456 pounds when he succumbed to heart failure in 2008.

“Not again,” said former Chargers running back Natrone Means, referring to the news of Lee’s death. “It’s crazy, just crazy, that we’ve had so many guys who have fallen. I can’t make any sense of it. I’ve given up trying. You just hope you quit getting these random messages out of nowhere that another teammate has passed away.

“Look at Shawn. He was a big man, a man’s man, no doubt about it. I can’t believe he’s gone, too.”

Though born and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y., Lee played college ball at North Alabama and entered the NFL with Tampa Bay, where Davis also was a drafted rookie out of North Carolina. They played together for two years before Lee was released by the Bucs and signed by the Miami Dolphins, then were reunited with the Chargers in ’94.

Together, Lee and Davis made the Chargers nearly impenetrable via run up the middle. Lee recorded 39 tackles and 6 1/2 sacks that year, adding eight sacks the following season. He played for the Chargers through 1997, then spent one last season with the Chicago Bears before retiring.

“I don’t remember any instances where Shawn and I locked up, but I’ve seen him demolish many a running back,” said Means. “As we were out on the field, warming up for the Super Bowl, he got so hyped up that he laid (Chargers running back) Eric Bieniemy out in the pre-game. Laid … him … out! Full, aggressive shot.”

Outside the lines, conversely, Lee was recalled for his kindness and friendliness.

“The average fan would take a look at him and be scared to go up and talk to him, but he was great to people,” said Means. “He’d do anything in the world for you.”

“Heart of gold,” said Davis, who lived just an hour from Lee and maintained their close relationship to the end. “The man never had an enemy, and that’s hard to say about a lot of people. He just had such a different sort of wisdom about him.”

Davis said it was Lee who organized the “undercover training” that took some of the Chargers to Fiesta Island. They’d get extra conditioning by running in the sand or jogging around the island.

It was in the immediate aftermath of Mims’ death that long snapper David Binn — the only player from the Super Bowl team who’s still with the Chargers — recalled how Mims, Lee and Davis would liven up the team flights with their jocularity in the back of the plane. “Like a comedy show,” Binn called those guys on those trips.

Another thing struck Binn at the time.

“Five guys out of 45,” he said. “That’s statistically amazing.”

The first to die was 28-year-old linebacker David Griggs, killed in a car crash in June 1995. Running back Rodney Culver was 26 when he perished in a 1996 plane crash. Not one, but two bolts of lightning struck 28-year-old linebacker Doug Miller in his 1998 death. Curtis Whitley, who’d been released by the Chargers in ’94, died of a 2008 drug overdose at the age of 39. Mims was 38 when he died.

“Six guys, and I don’t even know what to say about that,” said Davis. “Everybody went out a different way. You know, you just never know.”

Lee is survived by a daughter, Satori; his father, Earnest, and two sisters, Pamyula Harrison and Tanya Lee-Riley. A memorial service will be held Saturday at Springfield Baptist Church in Raleigh. Flowers can be sent to Chappell's Funeral Home, 555 Creech Road, Garner, N.C.


Looks like COD was cardiac arrest brought on by double pneumonia.

Gadzooks
03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
From a poster on the SDUT website"
"Condolences to his friends and family~

So, to answer the question about how probable it would be to lose 6 people out of 45 is as follows:
- the probability of a healthy American adult dieing on a single day is about 1 out of 200,000
- the probability of surviving is 199,999 out of 200,000
- In the 16 years (since the 1995 super bowl) we've seen about 5840 days
- The probability of surviving that many days would be about (199,999/200,000)^5840=.971
- So, there's a 97.1% chance of a single individual surviving, only a 2.9% chance of dieing
- The chance of 6 out of 45 dieing, given the single-person probability, is governed by a binomial distribution. It turns out to be merely 0.001765, or about 1 out of 567.

That's pretty small, but hardly unbelievable."

Rain Man
03-12-2011, 04:32 PM
From a poster on the SDUT website"
"Condolences to his friends and family~

So, to answer the question about how probable it would be to lose 6 people out of 45 is as follows:
- the probability of a healthy American adult dieing on a single day is about 1 out of 200,000
- the probability of surviving is 199,999 out of 200,000
- In the 16 years (since the 1995 super bowl) we've seen about 5840 days
- The probability of surviving that many days would be about (199,999/200,000)^5840=.971
- So, there's a 97.1% chance of a single individual surviving, only a 2.9% chance of dieing
- The chance of 6 out of 45 dieing, given the single-person probability, is governed by a binomial distribution. It turns out to be merely 0.001765, or about 1 out of 567.

That's pretty small, but hardly unbelievable."

no offense to that poster, but pretty much every assumption and calculation is incorrect in that. if I decide to stop eating cheetos and get on my computer i'll rerun it.
Posted via Mobile Device