PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Calling hogfarmer,sec, & all gentlemen inclined to swine

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Lookin at some feeder pigs to buy. guy has DurocXhamp & herfordXblue butt 50 each.
Good gainers? best meat taste? leanest?

never heard of herfordXblue. any good?

Thinking about buyin three savin two and puttin the other on the spit.

Lookin at some large blacks and red wattles. they are bigger and around 75-125 each.
And some berkshire oldspot straight and crosses. for around 130.

lil help.

btlook1
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Have you looked at the price of feed lately and where it's going? The way it's going 3 pigs are going to cost you a fortune to feed out...It may be cheaper to buy them at the store already done...

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Have you looked at the price of feed lately and where it's going? The way it's going 3 pigs are going to cost you a fortune to feed out...It may be cheaper to buy them at the store already done...

im aware of feed costs. Im only keeping two. The other will go on the BBQ right away.

im also goin to recoup some of my feed costs by selling produce thats in season.

tyton75
03-01-2011, 10:28 AM
bet you keep whichever one squeals the loudest

SQUEAL like a pigg!

(couldn't resist)

Groves
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
We will need a small hog to roast in early May. Might have to inquire about your spit-pig babysitting rates.

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 12:20 PM
We will need a small hog to roast in early May. Might have to inquire about your spit-pig babysitting rates.

cost of feed. smoke me what your weekends like.

seclark
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
sorry bro...can't help you too much. i was just a farm hand while working through school. fattened out 20 feeder pigs one year, but only because the farmer didn't have the cash to pay me.

other than that, i just pulled, teethed, cut and gave em shots.

also, if you drink fresh sows milk, you can see the wind:thumb:
sec

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
also, if you drink fresh sows milk, you can see the wind:thumb:
sec

ROFL dont get me started.

Buehler445
03-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey MO, when in the early 90s, dad set up a small feeding operation. I can't really help with breed type, we just got ours from a local sow operation.

What I can tell you is I hope you have some panels. Fences don't do much to stop pigs. Whatever pen you make, make sure it uses panels and posts buried plenty deep. I would also suggest some electric wire, in case they decide to root under the panels.
Also, make sure they stay cool. They need a place to wallow, and it wouldn't hurt if you could run a mister in some shade or in their shed. Along those same lines, it would work better if you could attach running water to a nipple as opposed to a stock tank.

If one gets sick, get it out. The others will kill it.

Between the fencing and the feed/watering equipment, plus the damage to the land, I would plan on doing this for several years. Plus, once you whole-roast a hog, you will want to do it again.

Good luck bud. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Hey MO, when in the early 90s, dad set up a small feeding operation. I can't really help with breed type, we just got ours from a local sow operation.

What I can tell you is I hope you have some panels. Fences don't do much to stop pigs. Whatever pen you make, make sure it uses panels and posts buried plenty deep. I would also suggest some electric wire, in case they decide to root under the panels.
Also, make sure they stay cool. They need a place to wallow, and it wouldn't hurt if you could run a mister in some shade or in their shed. Along those same lines, it would work better if you could attach running water to a nipple as opposed to a stock tank.

If one gets sick, get it out. The others will kill it.

Between the fencing and the feed/watering equipment, plus the damage to the land, I would plan on doing this for several years. Plus, once you whole-roast a hog, you will want to do it again.

Good luck bud. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ill keep em in the barn for awhile. I have some finished fence/gate/shoot/feeder & some hog panels. I plan on buying a roll of hog wire or panels to finish everything out before they get to big to handle.

whats the deal with the water nipple?
ive got a watertank cut in half with t-post welded to the bottom now.
Im puttin em in on the old hoglot. lots of rocks and trees for shade.

either way in the next month ill have hogs and more chicks/hens.

Buehler445
03-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Ill keep em in the barn for awhile. I have some finished fence/gate/shoot/feeder & some hog panels. I plan on buying a roll of hog wire or panels to finish everything out before they get to big to handle.

Dad found some nipples somewhere and its got a valve when the hog bites it water flows out. I've never seen hogs around a water trough, but I'd think they'd try to wallow in it and knock it over or get it super dirty. If you could fit it to a hydrant it would flow clean water only when the hog wanted to drink. You need to fix it open for the first few days so they know where it is, but it worked really well.
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge
03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
You should get sheep instead. dont have to feed em, just put in pasture. taste great if not too old. Look good in my cowboy boots

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
but,but,but, i love the smell of pigshit in the morning.

the sheep look good in your boots? mmmmkkk then.

-creepy-

Sofa King
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM

I work at a hog confinement on the weekends. We run 10's of thousands of hogs

We also use the nipple system. they go in to drink, bump the nipple and water comes out. really cuts down on wasted water, mess, etc..

this isn't near what we use, but it could be an option for you with so few hogs.

http://www.ctbinc.com/images/hogphotos/pigdrink.jpg

http://www.monofloglobal.com/ag/images/pig-nipples-3509.jpg

Not this exact setup, but something similar would be nice.

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
my luck, them bastards would just break it and id be pissed off. Beat them with a board and we'd all die of heat stroke.

Iowanian
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
We ran Hampshire, Duroch and Farmer's Hybrid.

The hybrid were longer in the body and gained faster...and the sows got pretty big if you cross bred them with the Hamps. It's been a few years now.

I caught a pig in the woods the first day I moved home and thought I'd hit the mother load, since I've been mouthing off for years that I'd know I made my station in life when I had time to have 2 pigs....just to kick or something. I told the wife as I climbed back in the truck "we're half way there"...

'Bacon' was the slowest growing, feed gobbling, water pan crapping asshole I've ever had on the farm. Never, ever raise a single pig. If I did it again, I think I'd have at least 6. If I'm going to have to do the chores every day, I think I'd rather at least have that many to make it worth the time. Besides, once you've got them, there is always demand of friends who want home raised pork.

Bacon was an idiot, but my kids liked to scratch his ears, and eat him with pancakes.

seclark
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
tooge kinda has a point. maybe at least one sheep to keep around for lonely saturday nights?
sec

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
ya lastyears hog was a ****ing disaster. I think my grandmother said something about having two hogs so they eat more and gain faster.

kinda like two dogs eatin out of the same pan.

MOhillbilly
tooge kinda has a point. maybe at least one sheep to keep around for lonely saturday nights?
sec

why you son of a.............

Sofa King
my luck, them bastards would just break it and id be pissed off. Beat them with a board and we'd all die of heat stroke.

They wont break it off.

HonestChieffan
03-01-2011, 03:20 PM
feeder pigs under a buck a pound is a great deal. By the time they are 220-240 pork in store will be sky high....do it and enjoy good pork not store bought stuff.

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
feeder pigs under a buck a pound is a great deal. By the time they are 220-240 pork in store will be sky high....do it and enjoy good pork not store bought stuff.

i hope to flip enough to buy part of a steer next year and pay for that springs live stock.

gotta plan.

Buehler445
03-01-2011, 03:37 PM
They wont break it off.

Yeah they're stainless. Unless you tie the hose to the fence or something, they're not breaking it.

It should be noted though that they will tear up everything they can get their teeth on.
Posted via Mobile Device

seclark
03-01-2011, 04:14 PM
It should be noted though that they will tear up everything they can get their teeth on.
Posted via Mobile Device

i've got a scar on my right calf that agrees w/you.
sec

WV
03-01-2011, 04:20 PM
i hope to flip enough to buy part of a steer next year and pay for that springs live stock.

gotta plan.

I've often thought about raising a steer like we did when I was a kid, but it's easier just to pay the farmer I know to raise it and I just pick it up from the butcher!

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I've often thought about raising a steer like we did when I was a kid, but it's easier just to pay the farmer I know to raise it and I just pick it up from the butcher!

grass grows for free. sell half, eat the rest.

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
i've got a scar on my right calf that agrees w/you.
sec

one lastyear about pulled my arms outta socket when it was lassoed.

WV
03-01-2011, 04:31 PM
grass grows for free. sell half, eat the rest.

You make it sound so easy.....but I think you know otherwise. :D

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 04:34 PM
i am a firm believer in the KISS method. grass,water,grain.

Sofa King
03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
i am a firm believer in the KISS method. grass,water,grain.

yeah i bet you are.

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
yeah i bet you are.

you havent lived until youve had a bottle calf at the end of your junk.

Sofa King
03-01-2011, 04:43 PM
you havent lived until youve had a bottle calf at the end of your junk.

i got a blowie from a cow once, does that count?

And i don't mean bovine.

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
i got a blowie from a cow once, does that count?

And i don't mean bovine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qHbbCglPg

skip to about 50 and you tell me.

Buehler445
03-01-2011, 05:06 PM
one lastyear about pulled my arms outta socket when it was lassoed.

You lassoed a hog? I bet that was a ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
You lassoed a hog? I bet that was a ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

SOB like to killed me. It came out alright but once that lead got tight she freaked the **** out. It was hot, she was strong. After 15 minutes it was all i could do to get her back in.

never do that again.

Sofa King
03-02-2011, 08:43 AM
SOB like to killed me. It came out alright but once that lead got tight she freaked the **** out. It was hot, she was strong. After 15 minutes it was all i could do to get her back in.

never do that again.

I just found a new sig.

Buehler445
03-02-2011, 10:04 AM

never do that again.

Dude hogs are the predecessors to tanks. You can kick the fuck out of them and they just don't give a shit. If you haven't worked with moving them before they get big, you will lose. Prod it with a stick, kick it in the face, get a cattle prod after it, whatever. If they don't want to move, they won't.

The only time we ever hurt one is when dad grabbed a fucking T-Post and went all Babe Ruth on it. Didn't even kill it, just made it a little gimpy.

MOhillbilly
03-02-2011, 10:29 AM
i figured out that being friendly and a little feed will get em where you want em.

Iowanian
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM

$6 corn and the price of protein pellets are the equalizer. I'm not convinced raising my own is any cheaper, but I know exactly what is going into them, I know they're not sick or ruptured and they're fed the way I want, and butchered when I want.

Steers, I'm a firm believer in full feed grain fed for 120 days to get meat the way I want it.

Hogs do better with more than 1 because of the competitive eating thing..the'll eat more if they are afraid the next one to them is going to get it, and they're social animals. 'Bacon' would act lonely, and whine when we left the barn.....it was worth eating him just to shut him up.

Buehler445
03-02-2011, 11:30 AM
i figured out that being friendly and a little feed will get em where you want em.

Working with them from day 1 is the key. We had 6-50 hog pens. The first year, we got them, put them in the pen and fattened them out. When it came time to send the fat ones out, we had to run them out the pen, through a chute, over a scale and split them after that. That first bunch was a pain in the fucking ass. I don't know how we ever got them to go in the first place. They would just get scared and lock up and you can't move a fucking 235 lb pig, much less 50 of them.

The next round, we ran them through every saturday, from day 1, when you could still move a little 20lb fucker. They were fast and hard to manage, but after the first couple times through it was easy. They knew the drill. I'd recommend doing everything you need to do with them frequently when they're small.

MOhillbilly
03-16-2011, 09:52 AM
3way X
http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/2265519868.html

Bills are paid,chickens are bought,turkeys on the way,gardens ready, time to get serious about a hog purchase....inbetween cleanin the shop.

thoughts?

Sofa King
03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
3way X

Bills are paid,chickens are bought,turkeys on the way,gardens ready, time to get serious about a hog purchase....inbetween cleanin the shop.

thoughts?

acquire more debt, eat the chickens, release the turkeys, skip the garden, have sex with the hogs and sell the shop.

you're welcome.

seclark
03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
3way X

thoughts?

didn't know you were getting turkeys...
sec

MOhillbilly
03-16-2011, 09:58 AM
That doesnt sound like a good plan at all. you ever try to wrangle a hog? not as easy as youd thing.

MOhillbilly
03-16-2011, 10:00 AM
didn't know you were getting turkeys...
sec

gettin bourbons and whites. :thumb: two each for thanksgiving and easter both sides of the clan, two to give away to bros, two in the freezer.

edit-christmas not easter.