PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 3

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you ... THE BANDS!

After the concert, vote for three.

patteeu
03-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Offspring, Black Sabbath, and Van Halen burst into the lead.

Lzen
03-01-2011, 09:24 AM
River Of Love, Dokken? WTF? Never even heard of that.

patteeu
03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
River Of Love, Dokken? WTF? Never even heard of that.

It's probably a cover of a Uriah Heep song.

Omaha
03-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Offspring? Is that a joke?

KC Tattoo
03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Paranoid & Welcome to the Jungle awesome songs!!!:thumb:

Lzen
03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
It's probably a cover of a Uriah Heep song.

Actually, I think he might have gotten it mixed up with Lynch Mob. George Lynch, former Dokken guitarist, formed Lynch Mob in 1989 after Dokken broke up. Their first album, Wicked Sensation featured the song River Of Love.

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I had trouble with this one. U2 is clearly in, and then it goes down considerably from there. I voted for the only two other songs that weren't totally pedestrian, which were Sultans of Swing and Paranoid.

patteeu
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the Jungle is about converting to homosexuality.

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Actually, I think he might have gotten it mixed up with Lynch Mob. George Lynch, former Dokken guitarist, formed Lynch Mob in 1989 after Dokken broke up. Their first album, Wicked Sensation featured the song River Of Love.

That's quite possible. Either the original nominator mixed it up, or if they didn't list a group I did a google search and could have picked it up wrong from the search.

siberian khatru
03-01-2011, 09:34 AM
No love for The Who?

Fuck you all. Fuck you all with a flaming AIDS tree and that your ignited bodies are doused in antifreeze.

Bunch of philistines.

Los Pollos Hermanos
U2 is a pop band. Not rock.

patteeu

That's interesting. I was a Dokken fan, but I didn't recognize River of Love so maybe that explains it.

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Dire straights,GnR,Sabbath.

Jungle in a run away. Another LP that stood the hairs up on my neck. Kept playin it over the PA at Monster of Rock 88'. Had my Grandmother take me to the mall the next day. Blew my dads 1000$ speakers in a month.

RockChalk
03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I had trouble with this one. U2 is clearly in, and then it goes down considerably from there. I voted for the only two other songs that weren't totally pedestrian, which were Sultans of Swing and Paranoid.

Count me in the minority of people who hate U2. Never have understood their appeal, plus Bono comes off as a huge deuche

DJ's left nut
03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Oops, forgot to uncheck U2.

So if U2 ends up in a tie to advance, one of their votes is invalid.

GNR, Dire Straits, The Who

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Count me in the minority of people who hate U2. Never have understood their appeal, plus Bono comes off as a huge deuche

Up until Vertigo, they had occasional songs that I really liked, but I was meh on them. But every song on the Vertigo album is very good.

I don't understand the love for Welcome to the Jungle. I'd heard of it so I figured it was something really good, but it was just a lot of noise to me.

Lzen
03-01-2011, 09:41 AM
That's interesting. I was a Dokken fan, but I didn't recognize River of Love so maybe that explains it.

I was a huge Dokken fan and especially a Lynch fan. So I should feel ashamed that I actually had to Google that part. I forgot about that song.

Bob Dole
03-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Bob Dole paid $180 for 2 concert tickets (a lady friend wanted to go) and walked out 15 minutes into one of his mid-concert political rants.

DMAC
03-01-2011, 09:43 AM
He's got a daytime job...he's doin alright!

Halfcan
03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Offspring? Is that a joke?

Offspring is not a joke-they rock!!

The kick ass in concert as well!!

patteeu
03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't understand the love for Welcome to the Jungle. I'd heard of it so I figured it was something really good, but it was just a lot of noise to me.

Clearly you're not susceptible to being converted. You have to at least be open to it on a subconscious level to really get into that song.

Brock
03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Sultans of Swing :LOL: k

siberian khatru
03-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I have every U2 album (on vinyl) up through Joshua Tree. That's when I jumped off.

I still really like War and Unforgettable Fire.

DJ's left nut
03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
C'mon folks, THIS is Baba O' Riley (if it was titled "Teenage Wasteland" it would dominate this vote because people always screw up the name of the song...)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x2KRpRMSu4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Remember, badassnes ensues from the 45 second mark. This is an iconic song - it has to move forward.

Halfcan
I have every U2 album (on vinyl) up through Joshua Tree. That's when I jumped off.

I still really like War and Unforgettable Fire.

Yep they turned into elevator music-lol

Kinda like Def Leappard

DMAC
Sultans of Swing :LOL: k

You can play my honky tonk like anything.

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Listening to the Lynch Mob song, it's actually pretty good. If I'd known it was them, they might've snuck into my third spot over Paranoid.

siberian khatru
03-01-2011, 09:51 AM
C'mon folks, THIS is Baba O' Riley (if it was titled "Teenage Wasteland" it would dominate this vote because people always screw up the name of the song...)

That reminds me: FUCK YOU, Bob Gately, in 10th grade.

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Clearly you're not susceptible to being converted. You have to at least be open to it on a subconscious level to really get into that song.

That must be it. I'm quite heterosexual, so Welcome to the Jungle has no appeal at all.

blaise
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Is Gimme Shelter in any of the polls?

RockChalk
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x2KRpRMSu4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Remember, badassnes ensues from the 45 second mark. This is an iconic song - it has to move forward.

It got my vote, along with Sultans of Swing

seclark
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
huh...looks like the 3rd heat where none of my selections finish in the top 3.
sec
~cranking up his boxcar willie

RockChalk
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Bob Dole paid $180 for 2 concert tickets (a lady friend wanted to go) and walked out 15 minutes into one of his mid-concert political rants.

Did the lady friend accompany you out the door?

Lzen
03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Listening to the Lynch Mob song, it's actually pretty good. If I'd known it was them, they might've snuck into my third spot over Paranoid.

Wow. I love Lynch and have all 3 Lynch Mob albums, but I wouldn't put that one over Paranoid.

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Is Gimme Shelter in any of the polls?

Yep, somewhere around Heat 21.

Omaha
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I have a special connection to the U2 song. That's the song my wife & I danced to at our wedding.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Offspring, Sabbath and The Who. And U2 fucking sucks ass and anyone who likes them can go die in a fire.

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I have a special connection to the U2 song. That's the song my wife & I danced to at our wedding.

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" sounds like a great song for a wedding.

patteeu
03-01-2011, 12:24 PM

Who picked it and what where they trying to say?

Ebolapox
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
what the fuck does the offspring have to do to get respect here? fuckmonkey, dire fucking straits is beating them out.

Omaha
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Who picked it and what where they trying to say?

Just a joke. I kept suggesting it to her. I also suggested "To All The Girls I've Loved Before". No dice.

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Offspring, Sabbath and The Who. And U2 fucking sucks ass and anyone who likes them can go die in a fire.Dude. Did Bono bang your wife? :)

Chiefnj2
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
what the **** does the offspring have to do to get respect here?

Create an enjoyable song?

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Create an enjoyable song?They have a few.

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Just a joke. I kept suggesting it to her. I also suggested "To All The Girls I've Loved Before". No dice.

Whew. I was hoping it was a joke but didn't know you well enough to be sure.

And you should have held your ground on "To All The Girls I've Love Before".

Over-Head
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't understand the love for Welcome to the Jungle. I'd heard of it so I figured it was something really good, but it was just a lot of noise to me. :eek: GOOD GOD MAN

Bump
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
if Sultans of Swing doesn't advance I'm throwing a fit and leaving forever! WAAAAA

/Frazod

Over-Head
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Ya better have a link backing that claim up numbnutts cuz your crazy!!!
, better yet.
YO DANE, lets have the real story
other than the boys writing about the streets of LA

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the Jungle is about converting to homosexuality.:LOL:

Frazod
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
if Sultans of Swing doesn't advance I'm throwing a fit and leaving forever! WAAAAA

/Frazod

Shouldn't you be choking on a dick right now?

Bump
03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Shouldn't you be choking on a dick right now?

your mom hasn't made it over yet.

Frazod
03-01-2011, 01:09 PM
your mom hasn't made it over yet.

You forgot to capitalize "your," fuckhead.

Bump
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
You forgot to capitalize "your," ****head.

good.

Predarat
03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
This is an awesome pool!

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Dire Straits is making a big run at The Who.

Graystoke
03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
None of the F***ing above.
The Who had by this time had made their mark in Rock and Roll by changing history.
I like bands that change Rock and Roll and leave their mark for others to follow.
The Beatles...The Doors...Sex Pistols...The Replacements...Ect...
Welcome to the Jungle????
ya...rock and roll changer there!

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
None of the F***ing above.
The Who had by this time had made their mark in Rock and Roll by changing history.
I like bands that change Rock and Roll and leave their mark for others to follow.
The Beatles...The Doors...Sex Pistols...The Replacements...Ect...

you know shit about rock n roll or my sarcasm meter is fucked.

DJJasonp
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Sultans is on my all-time least favorite list. I just never got into DS.

This heat has the biggest disparity between great and meh.

Graystoke
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
you know shit about rock n roll or my sarcasm meter is ****ed.

Ya your right, The Beatles didn't change Rock and Roll. And the Sex Pistols didn't set up the scene for Punk Rock for the next decade.
Welcome to the Jungle...big changer

bevischief
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM

I picked the same ones.

KC Tattoo
03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
This is an awesome pool!

The Dead pool is an awesome pool!
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TePUvl-vh9k&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TePUvl-vh9k&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Nzoner
03-01-2011, 01:47 PM
At least 30 people recognize that Dire Straits is worthy of moving on although I'd rather see a song from the Making Movies project in the running.

DJ's left nut
03-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Rainman!!! Change the poll!!!

I voted for Sultans of Swing and even I know it has no business bumping Baba o'Rily. C'mon, put "(Teenage Wasteland)" after "Baba O'Riley" and we won't have to sweat this out.

Really - How can it possibly not move on.

patteeu
03-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Ya better have a link backing that claim up numbnutts cuz your crazy!!!
, better yet.
YO DANE, lets have the real story
other than the boys writing about the streets of LA

It's so obvious, no link should be necessary.

Take a look at these lyrics!

Welcome to the jungle
We got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money honey
We got your disease

Chorus:

In the jungle
Welcome to the jungle
Watch it bring you to your shun n,n,n,n,,n,n,,n,n,n,,n,n,,n knees, knees
I wanna watch you bleed

Welcome to the jungle? Honey? We got your disease? Bring you to your ... knees? It's all pretty clear.

Come on, Over-Head. Don't you notice just a twinge of desire for a manly embrace when you listen to this song?

MOhillbilly
03-01-2011, 02:04 PM

I voted for Sultans of Swing and even I know it has no business bumping Baba o'Rily. C'mon, put "(Teenage Wasteland)" after "Baba O'Riley" and we won't have to sweat this out.

you shut your hole.

siberian khatru
03-01-2011, 02:15 PM

For some reason, that made me think of this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-uv_WGEHr4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Over-Head
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
A fool and his money soon parted, you couldn't pay me the $180 to go see them

Over-Head
03-01-2011, 03:41 PM
The bands personal problems aside I'd say selling 20 MILLION copies of a record DID in fact change RnR.
If you can honestly sit there and say GnR didn't created history and somewhat change the face of Music at the time, then you've been locked up somewhere listening to Patsy Cline records too long

And if that talentless fugstick from Seattle hadn't come along we'd have had a few more years of great LA based metal

Brock
03-01-2011, 04:03 PM
And if that talentless fugstick from Seattle hadn't come along we'd have had a few more years of shitty hair bands

fixed

Bump
03-01-2011, 04:17 PM
The bands personal problems aside I'd say selling 20 MILLION copies of a record DID in fact change RnR.
If you can honestly sit there and say GnR didn't created history and somewhat change the face of Music at the time, then you've been locked up somewhere listening to Patsy Cline records too long

And if that talentless fugstick from Seattle hadn't come along we'd have had a few more years of great LA based metal

I love the first paragraph. But what fugstick from Seattle are you referring to?

I'd love to see some classic 90's grunge rock make the list

cdcox
03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Sultans of Swing -- very unique sound. Not a copy cat band. I love me some Dire Straits.

Baba O'Rielly -- I'm not a huge fan of The Who, but this song is iconic. Also, it is another song with a unique sound.

Welcome to the Jungle -- I voted for this one out of an obligation to vote for a third. A decent enough song, but not one of my favorite GNR songs. That band did bring a lot of energy to the stage and Rock was on it's death bed when they were at their peak.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-01-2011, 05:18 PM

That's a good point, the name of that song doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Ya your right, The Beatles didn't change Rock and Roll. And the Sex Pistols didn't set up the scene for Punk Rock for the next decade.
Welcome to the Jungle...big changer
So every band that didn't dramatically change the music scene sucks? Uhhh....ok. :rolleyes:

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Rain Man should be posting vids in his OPs, I don't know how anyone can listen to this and not vote for it, it's a fucking masterpiece.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M9CWJa9yK7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Omaha
03-02-2011, 08:47 AM
I love the first paragraph. But what fugstick from Seattle are you referring to?

I'd love to see some classic 90's grunge rock make the list

That's a must!

Omaha
03-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Rain Man should be posting vids in his OPs, I don't know how anyone can listen to this and not vote for it, it's a ****ing masterpiece.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M9CWJa9yK7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like it when Pearl Jam covers it live. Mike McCready plays the intro on his guitar. It's pretty badass.

DJ's left nut
03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Rain Man should be posting vids in his OPs, I don't know how anyone can listen to this and not vote for it, it's a ****ing masterpiece.

re-post.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Okay, calling the race.

Paranoid
Welcome to the Jungle
Baba O'Riley

Dire Straits made a run for a while, but lost steam.

Movin' on.

patteeu
03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Okay, calling the race.

Paranoid
Welcome to the Jungle
Baba O'Riley

Movin' on.

Strong bi-curious vote in this one, I guess. We're all brothers here though, even if 73% of you are a little swishy.

seclark
03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
still batting .000
sec

DJ's left nut
03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Okay, calling the race.

Paranoid
Welcome to the Jungle
Baba O'Riley

Movin' on.

And you'll be 'fixing' the title of Baba O'Riley for the next round, right?

patteeu
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM

While we're at it, can we also change the name of Sweet Emotion to Charlie Sheen is a WINNER!

tooge
03-02-2011, 09:41 AM
had to go sultans of swing, u2, and van halen. Mark Knopfler was rated top 50 of guitar magazines all time greats. Sultans of swing is just a teaser for what he has to offer

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Unfortunately, the infallible source of wikipedia says the proper title is Baba O'Riley, which I agree is one of the worst names you can have for a song. What were they thinking?

DJ's left nut
03-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately, the infallible source of wikipedia says the proper title is Baba O'Riley, which I agree is one of the worst names you can have for a song. What were they thinking?

Awww...so no parentheticals?

cdcox
03-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Anybody who doesn't know what Baba O'Riley sounds like should be disqualified from voting.

KurtCobain
03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm so mad offspring lost.