PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Walker now wildly unpopular,

Cave Johnson
03-01-2011, 10:42 AM
would lose if the election was today.

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/02/do-over.html

We'll have our full poll on the Wisconsin conflict out tomorrow but here's the most interesting finding: if voters in the state could do it over today they'd support defeated Democratic nominee Tom Barrett over Scott Walker by a a 52-45 margin.

BucEyedPea
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Polls aren't elections. Obama would be in a dead heat today with Ron Paul too. Does it mean anything? Nope.
Reagan was unpopular for a period too. Until his policies bore fruit.

It's a good thing we're not a democracy, ain't it?

Lzen
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Of course, with any poll I would want to know more about the poll source (how the questions were phrased, is the site and are the people polled of opposite political viewpoint, etc.). And to say 52-45 is wildly unpopular is ridiculous.

BucEyedPea
03-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah, whose the demographic they polled? State workers? How many work for the state in Wisconsin? One out of three? More?

Donger
03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
People don't like having their sweetheart perks taken away? Go figure.

blaise
03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, good thing for him there's no election today.

Cave Johnson
03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, whose the demographic they polled? State workers? How many work for the state in Wisconsin? One out of three? More?

Yes, I'm sure that was the whole sample size. ;)

Well, good thing for him there's no election today.

Indeed.

Cave Johnson
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
People don't like having their sweetheart perks taken away? Go figure.

My understanding is that they've already agreed to his wage/benefit cuts, it's just a question of curbing collective bargaining.

As I've said before, state employee compensation needs to be scaled back. Walker, by exempting certain groups and throwing partisan junk* in the bill, is doing it the wrong way.

*E.g., no bid sales of state utilities, the unilateral option to cut Medicaid spending without legislative approval.

alnorth
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised its only down 7. If he's within 7 after the month he's had, that should be encouraging. This isn't going on for years, at some point he's going to win, the budget will get balanced, and his numbers will recover.

If he were to have been down 15 or 20 at this point, I'd be worried.

Cave Johnson
03-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised its only down 7. If he's within 7 after the month he's had, that should be encouraging. This isn't going on for years, at some point he's going to win, the budget will get balanced, and his numbers will recover.

If he were to have been down 15 or 20 at this point, I'd be worried.

They're not awful, admittedly. His favorability/unfavorability is 39/49.

http://www.bluemassgroup.com/diary/22156/scott-walkers-plummeting-poll-numbers

That said, WI is a pretty blue state, and this is the kind of attack that motivates the Democratic base to turn out.

Donger
03-01-2011, 11:32 AM
My understanding is that they've already agreed to his wage/benefit cuts, it's just a question of curbing collective bargaining.

As I've said before, state employee compensation needs to be scaled back. Walker, by exempting certain groups and throwing partisan junk* in the bill, is doing it the wrong way.

*E.g., no bid sales of state utilities, the unilateral option to cut Medicaid spending without legislative approval.

Are you sure that is accurate? I'm unaware that the Democrats have agreed to anything.

RedNeckRaider
03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Of course, with any poll I would want to know more about the poll source (how the questions were phrased, is the site and are the people polled of opposite political viewpoint, etc.). And to say 52-45 is wildly unpopular is ridiculous.

~

Stinger
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
That said, WI is a pretty blue state, and this is the kind of attack that motivates the Democratic base to turn out.

You mean like last Nov that got Walker elected?

Cave Johnson
03-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Are you sure that is accurate? I'm unaware that the Democrats have agreed to anything.

"Unions have agreed to accept the increased costs for their members if Walker drops the limits on collective bargaining, Senate Democratic Leader Mark Miller of Monona, among those Senators who left the state to stall the bill, said last week."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-01/walker-will-pitch-wisconsin-budget-cuts-as-union-protests-enter-third-week.html

Donger
03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
"Unions have agreed to accept the increased costs for their members if Walker drops the limits on collective bargaining, Senate Democratic Leader Mark Miller of Monona, among those Senators who left the state to stall the bill, said last week."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-01/walker-will-pitch-wisconsin-budget-cuts-as-union-protests-enter-third-week.html

Thanks.

BucEyedPea
03-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Walker has NOT done away with CB on wages. Non-wage issues he has.

Cave Johnson
03-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Limits /= elimination.

Thanks for that brilliant insight. ;)

Stinger
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
OK the problem I have with the poll is this question Q4

Are you or is anyone in your household a
member of a labor union?

Yes.................................................................. 32%

Wisconsin as a whole only has 14% of it work force in a union. ( http://www.bls.gov/ro5/unionwi.htm ) So it skewed the State average over 2-1.

mnchiefsguy
03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Good point Stinger..plus, given the fact it was skewed and Walker is still at 45% does say something.

fan4ever
03-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Wisconsin as a whole only has 14% of it work force in a union. ( http://www.bls.gov/ro5/unionwi.htm ) So it skewed the State average over 2-1.

Oh, that had to simply be an oversight. :thumb:

BucEyedPea
03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Limits /= elimination.

Thanks for that brilliant insight. ;)

I don't need your snark. My post was not an insight or an opinion but what I heard on tv regarding the facts as to what Walker got rid of and didn't. Limit is not elimination. If you can't even dispute it with any other facts then by all means be snide. Wink back to ya'!

BucEyedPea
03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Pittsie,
Leadership leads it doesn't follow lemmings over the cliff.

Pitt Gorilla
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Wisconsin as a whole only has 14% of it work force in a union. ( http://www.bls.gov/ro5/unionwi.htm ) So it skewed the State average over 2-1.I suppose it depends on the "anyone in your household" part and how people interpret that.

Stinger
03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I suppose it depends on the "anyone in your household" part and how people interpret that.

So you agree the poll is flawed...........

go bowe
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Pittsie,
Leadership leads it doesn't follow lemmings over the cliff.gee honey, thanks for that brilliant insight...

go bowe
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
So you agree the poll is flawed...........i'm not so sure...

don't they have a way to weigh the results to accurately reflect opinions across the board?

no poll is a totally accurate sampling, they all have to weight the results, don't they?

Pitt Gorilla
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
So you agree the poll is flawed...........No.

Cave Johnson
03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't need your snark. My post was not an insight or an opinion but what I heard on tv regarding the facts as to what Walker got rid of and didn't. Limit is not elimination. If you can't even dispute it with any other facts then by all means be snide. Wink back to ya'!

Baby, I'm 90% snark.

Per usual, you're wrong.

"The repair bill also calls for voter approval of wage increases that exceed inflation...."

go bowe
03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Baby, I'm 90% snark.

Per usual, you're wrong.

"The repair bill also calls for voter approval of wage increases that exceed inflation...."better snark than shark...

go bowe
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Baby, I'm 90% snark.

Per usual, you're wrong.

"The repair bill also calls for voter approval of wage increases that exceed inflation...."whoa, she's not a baby...

she's a honey...

Cave Johnson
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
whoa, she's not a baby...

she's a honey...

I think I'm alternating between honey, baby, and sweetie going forward.

BucEyedPea
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I think I'm alternating between honey, baby, and sweetie going forward.

Those are all fine with me, snarky pookums! :thumb:

Pssst! The word honey didn't bother me over at PP. Pat was dreamin.'

patteeu
03-01-2011, 03:15 PM
In related news, spinach, daily exercise, colonoscopies and many other things that are good for you in the long run are also wildly unpopular.

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Not really surprising and when his year is up I hear there might be a recall attempt.

Also 2 new polls out today are showing that most people support the unions.

As the standoff in Wisconsin rages on, two new nationwide polls indicate more people support the public sector union workers over the state's Republican governor in the battle over collective bargaining rights. Forty-two percent of the public sides with the public employee unions and 31 percent backs Gov. Scott Walker, according to a Pew Research Center survey released Tuesday. Nearly one in ten say they don't support either side, with 18 percent unsure.

A new CBS News/New York Times survey indicates that six in ten oppose the elimination of collective bargaining rights for the public sector union workers, with 56 percent opposed to the cutting of pay or benefits to reduce state budget deficits. The poll indicates a partisan divide, with Democrats and independents opposed to both moves while Republicans in favor of Walker's proposals.