PDA

View Full Version : Football Greg McElroy almost aced the Wonderlic. Is he too smart for the NFL?

Fried Meat Ball!
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Greg-McElroy-almost-aced-the-Wonderlic-Is-he-to?urn=ncaaf-327510

Alongside the many absurd feats of size, strength and speed on display at the NFL's combine for incoming draft picks, there are also the annual efforts to bore as deeply as possible into the players' skulls. Is this guy smart? Is he a flake? Is he a potential "cancer" in the locker room? Is he really committed to sacrificing his body to the sport? The informal method of sniffing out a potential head case involves face-to-face interviews and the sort of ephemeral buzz that dogged this year's resident "character risk," Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett, throughout the weekend in Indianapolis. The formal method is the Wonderlic test.

Usually, leaked Wonderlic scores are embarrassingly low. Not so, however, for Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy, who nearly aced the test, scoring a 48 out of a possible 50 according to his hometown Fort Worth Star-Telegram. That score puts him on the high, high end of potential employees in any field, and especially among NFL quarterbacks. A 48 is twice the league average for incoming QBs, and matches the highest score for a quarterback on record, belonging to current Buffalo Bills starter Ryan Fitzpatrick, a Harvard grad. (Here is the most complete database of Wonderlic scores by quarterbacks through 2006. Only one other starter last year, the 49ers' Alex Smith, managed a 40 on the test; only one NFL player, former Bengals punter Pat McInally – another Harvard grad – is believed to have scored a perfect 50.)

By that standard, McElroy is one of the smartest quarterbacks in league history – no surprise, considering he was a finalist for a Rhodes scholarship last fall and has always been praised more for his poise and decision-making than his arm or athleticism. (He didn't throw or work out in Indy because of a hand injury he suffered in the Senior Bowl.)

Of course, coming as it does as part of the process of poking, prodding, dissecting and otherwise maximizing every conceivable flaw of incoming prospects, McElroy's brainpower still has the potential to be taken as a negative around the league, as explained by Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio:

That said, scoring too high can be as much of a problem as scoring too low. Football coaches want to command the locker room. Being smarter than the individual players makes that easier. Having a guy in the locker room who may be smarter than every member of the coaching staff can be viewed as a problem — or at a minimum as a threat to the egos of the men who hope to be able when necessary to outsmart the players, especially when trying in some way to manipulate them.

So while McElroy, who was unable to work out due to injury, may be really smart, he perhaps would have been wise to tank a few of the answers.

Argh: Too smart! If only there was some widely accepted sweet spot of "kind of dumb, but not alarmingly dumb" that prospects knew to shoot for.

That response shouldn't come as a surprise from the same league that took the academic success of Florida State safety Myron Rolle – who actually earned a Rhodes scholarship and took a year off from football to pursue it – as an opportunity to question his commitment to a gridiron career. The NFL draft: Where you'll never be good enough, even if you're too good.

If this is a repost, screw it. I searched for McElroy and Wonderlic and didn't find anything.

milkman
03-01-2011, 10:23 AM
It's all about who you are and how you are perceived.

If a guy like Blaine Gabbert were to score a 48, the NFL wouldn't have enough slobber for his knob.

Saccopoo
03-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Eh...so he tied our wide receiver's Wonderlic test score.

Reaper16
03-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Eh...so he tied our wide receiver's Wonderlic test score.
Scores, you mean. He tied with the combined score of our entire WR corps.

Okie_Apparition
03-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I will judge him by his hairstyle. If he looks like Mecca, he cheated.

Saccopoo
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Scores, you mean. He tied with the combined score of our entire WR corps.

Nope. I mean one of our receivers.

Curtis scored a 48 on his Wonderlic.

(He also ran a 4.35 forty yard dash at the Combine.)

Mr. Laz
03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
depends on the position ... tbh i don't want my Defensive linemen to be too smart. I don't want my kick returner or ST gunners very smart either.

Quarterback is a position where smart is a good thing. Brains along the offensive line isn't a bad thing either.

Chocolate Hog
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
This guy is a winner and he'll be a solid backup QB.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Just say NO to QBs from Alabama.

ChiefaRoo
03-01-2011, 02:17 PM
If he's so smart maybe he'll realize he stinks

Gadzooks
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Greg McElroy almost aced the Wonderlic. Is he too smart for the NFL?

No, his arm is too weak for the NFL.

Deberg_1990
03-02-2011, 07:07 AM
depends on the position ... tbh i don't want my Defensive linemen to be too smart. I don't want my kick returner or ST gunners very smart either.

Quarterback is a position where smart is a good thing. Brains along the offensive line isn't a bad thing either.

How can you be too smart for a position??

Bill Lundberg
03-02-2011, 07:50 AM
http://www.kcchiefsblog.com/draft/2011-nfl-draft-combine-greg-mcelroy-the-right-53-brodie-croyle?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kcchiefsblog+%28The+Red+%26+Gold+Report+--+kcchiefsblog.com%29&utm_content=Twitter

As we have seen over the first two years of the Scott Pioli-Todd Haley era, there are certain traits a player must have in order to be part of “the Right 53″. From day one, we have heard about big, strong, fast, smart, tough, disciplined football players and have seen this regime go out and draft players that fit the bill.
There are a clearly plenty of players that can’t hit all of those requirements, but what if they improve is most areas over what the Chiefs currently have on the roster?
One perfect example of this is Alabama QB Greg McElroy. In short, he represents a younger, more durable, athletic and successful version of current Chiefs backup Brodie Croyle.
The two stand an identical 6’2″ tall with McElroy carrying about 15 more pounds on his frame. Even with that extra weight, his times at the NFL Combine were better or nearly equal to those of Croyle’s back in 2006.
While he doesn’t bring the cannon of an arm that Croyle has, clearly that isn’t a deal breaker in Kansas City after Haley and Pioli put all of their eggs in the Matt Cassel basket. McElroy does bring, however, an elite score in the Wonderlic Test (48 of 50) and more importantly a resume of winning. Not only did he win a National Championship while at Alabama, he did it with cracked cracked ribs.
Overall as a starter, all McElroy did was win as he compiled a 24-3 record as a starter. Last season he helped push eventual National Champion Auburn to the brink with 377 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INT.
And, yes, McElroy was a captain of the 2010 Alabama team. That came after he finished his undergraduate degree in three years followed by his master’s degree with a perfect GPA of 4.0.
He also carries a lot of confidence with him, telling Dan Patrick that even though he doesn’t have as high of a ceiling as potential No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton, he could have a better career in the NFL.
“As far as understanding and processing information … five years down the road will he be a more productive player than me? That remains to be seen.”
That confidence has not helped calm his draft stock. Depending on your preferred draftnik, McElroy is either going off the board somewhere between the fourth and seventh round. QB isn’t seen as a position of need for Kansas City, but as the rounds go by it will be hard not to pull the trigger on a reliable option behind Cassel.

Dayze
03-02-2011, 08:36 AM
i'd draft him in those rounds in as a backup in a heartbeat.